Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?

As above really, not available in the UK yet but can see a few places online in the US doing them, anyone had a go on them yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'll bump this as well. My buddy loves his 2.8 rekon but he's on 30mm rims. I am a little nervous about my 27mm rims and the 2.6", but it's Maxxis and we know their measurements are knob-knob vs. casing-casing.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by SLBikes View Post
    The 27mm rim would be perfect for them, put them on a 30mm for a customer and the profile looked good. IMO they are a very very small 2.6.
    any measurements taken??

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the answer SLBikes. I think a true 2.35" is around as big as you would want to go on an i27 rim. I've got the 2.35 magic mary up front for the mud season(s) and am hoping the Rekon with it's light weight will be good for the rest of the year for my XC/AM riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Rode Rekon 2.6 on my Trance over the weekend. Pressures at F-20 R-23 on 29mm inner width Flow MK3 rims. 3c maxxterra /TR/EXO.

At the bike shop when I picked them up we weighed them unmounted vs. EXO/TR Ardent 2.4 unmounted. They were 40g lighter. I was running Ardent 2.4 previously. I was unable to measure the Rekon width as my battery is dead in my digital caliper. They are wider and taller than the Ardent 2.4 that measured true 2.4 on my wheels.

To me the Rekon is a touch slower rolling than the Ardent. The bike just didnt pick up speed as easy. There is definitely more grip. I will happily sacrifice the speed for grip. My next ride I will drop the pressure 2psi at both ends. At 20/23 they were still a little firm feeling but still more compliant than the Ardent.

I have plans to ride again this coming Wednesday and will report back as I dial the pressures in. I will also get a battery for my calipers and get a width measurement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just mounted a 2.6 Rekon on an Atomik 26mm internal rim. Max tread width was 2.45" at 30psi immediately after mounting, and casing width was a hair over 2.4".

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    I just mounted a 2.6 Rekon on an Atomik 26mm internal rim. Max tread width was 2.45" at 30psi immediately after mounting, and casing width was a hair over 2.4".

Cool - thanks for the measure -

should suggest that on a 34 mm ID wheel - more volume/size in the casing measure and potentially even tread

if better grip than an ardent but still lower weight/resistance than a DHR2 2.4 - could be a great rear option for me

nvphatty
    perhaps i30 rims would be ideal then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    rekon 2.6 is only 20g lighter than the 2.8 but 0.2" skinnier? What advantages are there for going the 2.6 route if it's not for weight reduction other than being draggy on smooth fireroad climbs if your frame has room for both?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    The advantage is that it fits your current rim width better.

Edit- per the website it's 50g lighter.
    Last edited by stonant; 03-30-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: More info

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was looking at the dual compound (2.6 = 805g and 2.8 = 825g)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    perhaps i30 rims would be ideal then.
    They're true to size on i35 rims. Anything narrower is going to drop the width and overall volume of the tire.

27.5x2.6 Rekons and Forekasters have been available for a few weeks but might just not be working their way out to all the local and online stores. 2.6 DHFs just landed so expect to see them in the coming weeks.

Disclaimer - I work for Maxxis.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    They're true to size on i35 rims. Anything narrower is going to drop the width and overall volume of the tire.

27.5x2.6 Rekons and Forekasters have been available for a few weeks but might just not be working their way out to all the local and online stores. 2.6 DHFs just landed so expect to see them in the coming weeks.

is the casing wider than tread with i35's??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    is the casing wider than tread with i35's??
    Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?-rekon.jpg

Casing is just about equal to the widest point of the sideknobs when mounted on i35 rims.

nvphatty
    Casing is just about equal to the widest point of the sideknobs when mounted on i35 rims.
    has a nice profile and tread pattern that may roll well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    when will 29 x 2.6 be available?

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jnashed View Post
    when will 29 x 2.6 be available?
    Been hearing June to July....wish it sooner
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    May 2016
    When are we going to see some real measurements, pictures and reviews from someone who actually owns it?

I'm considering getting 2, but I don't even know if it will fit on the rear of my Reign.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just got some width measurements of my Rekons. They are mounted tubeless on Stans Flow MK3 rims (29mm inner width). They have been mounted for 2 weeks and have one 20 mile ride on them. With the tires at maximum pressure, I measured the front and rear, then averaged the two numbers. I also measured them at the pressures I will be using on my next ride, then took the average. The lower psi measurements were taken before inflating to max pressure, so any stretching the tire may experience couldnt influence the numbers. Here ya go.

40psi (max)
    Knob to Knob= 2.50"
    Casing= 2.55"

18psi Front; 21psi Rear
    Knob to Knob= 2.45"
    Casing=2.49"
    Last edited by erb16; 04-02-2017 at 03:19 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by erb16 View Post
    I just got some width measurements of my Rekons. They are mounted tubeless on Stans Flow MK3 rims (29mm inner width). They have been mounted for 2 weeks and have one 20 mile ride on them. With the tires at maximum pressure, I measured the front and rear, then averaged the two numbers. I also measured them at the pressures I will be using on my next ride, then took the average. The lower psi measurements were taken before inflating to max pressure, so any stretching the tire may experience couldnt influence the numbers. Here ya go.

40psi (max)
    Knob to Knob= 2.50"
    Casing= 2.55"

18psi Front; 21psi Rear
    Knob to Knob= 2.45"
    Casing=2.49"

Measurements were taken with a brand new Harbor Frieght digital caliper.

Accuracy? These aren't space shuttle engine parts, they are bicycle tires.
    Thanks. I'm also on Flow MK3 (27.5), could you possibly measure the distance from the edge of the rim to the highest point on the tire? Trying to figure out if they will fit my rear triangle. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Are these available online anywhere yet?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Are these available online anywhere yet?
    Maxxis website

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    anyone else? maxxis won't ship out of the US and universal cycles wanted to charge $55 to ship a tyre

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i think mentioned further up - but Universal Cycles has em and on sale as well

local bike shops seem to have em if they ordered em - i picked 1 up local and buddy picked 1 up at his LBS previous weekend

n00b
    I'm so excited to replace a 2.4 Ardent (which is great for my area) with a 2.6 Rekon up front.
    Not a MASSIVE size increase, but just enough for my non-boost Pike.
    Running an Easton Arc 30. So it should be perfect.
    instagram@krigloch

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I was looking at the dual compound (2.6 = 805g and 2.8 = 825g)
    Right along the lines I am thinking, currently running NN 2.8 on my HD3 and have had two tires tossed due to rips from rocks. Thinking it would be better to go with dual compound for added durability, big plus is that still comes in lighter than the 2.8 NN

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm personally waiting for the 29x2.6 Rocket Rons to come out

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Krigloch View Post
    I'm so excited to replace a 2.4 Ardent (which is great for my area) with a 2.6 Rekon up front.
    Not a MASSIVE size increase, but just enough for my non-boost Pike.
    Running an Easton Arc 30. So it should be perfect.
    Let me know how that fits, I'm thinking along the same lines.

n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Let me know how that fits, I'm thinking along the same lines.
    I'll let you know around July or so, lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My Rekon 2.6 is only 1/10th of an inch wider than my Ardent 2.4 on 29mm internal width wheels.

Id say if you have plenty of room around the Ardent the Rekon 2.6 will clear just fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Anyone able to help with determining what my rim width size is? They are the stock wheels from my '16 Trek Fuel EX8 29er. The website describes the wheels as"Bontrager Duster Elite Tubeless Ready, TLR strips, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear". Want to upgrade to wider tires than the 29 x 2.3" that came stock and just trying to figure out my options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So, because im slow, can someone confirm the 2.6 275 tires have a similair outside diameter (rollout) to curent 27.5 and are not plus, correct?

The 2.8's are taller and considered plus?

I have 2 bikes. A hightower and a spider 275 carbon. My hightower is my race bike (enduro bro!) and staying 29. My Spider is my lower cost (when i break stuff) bomber play bike. I want big meaty tires on it. DHF2.6 and Rekon 2.6 would be a solid combo if they fit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    So, because im slow, can someone confirm the 2.6 275 tires have a similair outside diameter (rollout) to curent 27.5 and are not plus, correct?

I have 2 bikes. A hightower and a spider 275 carbon. My hightower is my race bike (enduro bro!) and staying 29. My Spider is my lower cost (when i break stuff) bomber play bike. I want big meaty tires on it. DHF2.6 and Rekon 2.6 would be a solid combo if they fit...

The 2.6 Rekon is slightly larger than a 2.4 Ardent and 2.5wt Minion DHF. The outer radius of the Rekon 2.6 measured a tenth of an inch bigger than the 2.5 Minion on 26mm internal width rims.
    Last edited by blizzard_mk; 04-09-2017 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks man! Thats good to hear.

believe in yourself! I believe in you!

Dab-O-Matic
    So, checking on the Maxxis site, they have ordering details but they don't say whether it's 3C MaxxTerra or not.
    Where are you guys getting these?
    Last edited by Simplemind; 04-11-2017 at 07:13 AM.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

Having a nice day!
    Anyone with these get a rollout measurement? Curious how they will compare with a WTB Trailblazer I have (and don't really like).

Having a nice day!
    Disregard. Got some info directly from Maxxis. The diameter for the 2.6 is 720mm. For reference, the 2.8 is 725mm. Was worried it was going to be more and might drop the BB too much but I can live with that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post

I'd be a little hesitant to put one on the back of a Spider 275c. I think they technically are not plus tires, but it sounds like they are still slightly larger than the standard sized tires of years past. I've got an Ikon 2.35 on the back of mine, and it looks like I only have ~4mm of clearance with the lower link. Personally, I don't think I'd want to go any tighter than that.

The Aggressor seems like it could be a great option for you to match with a DHF 2.6 in front. I've been a little temped to try one in the rear. The un-ramped center knobs look like they'd provide excellent climbing traction, but I think the tire might be a little overkill for my needs.

There's also the Ardent Race 2.35 if you want something more comparable to the Rekon in a smaller size. I know Maxxis says the Rekon is inspired by the Ikon, but it looks more like an Ardent Race to me. My Ikon has been a little uninspiring and I'm planning to eventually swap it our for an Ardent Race or something else with a little more grip.
    Last edited by dlxah; 04-17-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Having a nice day!
    Yeah, I love the size of the Ikon 2.35, but it ain't doing it for me on the traction side. Did buy a 27.5 Rekon 2.6 for the plus version of my Les. Looks really good on the Flow Mk3 rims and measures a tad over 2.5. Roll out was like a half inch less than my NN 2.8, so plenty of volume. Looks like this will be my fun setup for a while and the 29 version will be when I need to be a little faster.

Dab-O-Matic
    Just an FYI, you might try the e*Thirteen TRS Race Tire. It's a 2.35 that measures out about 2.375 on a 22 inside rim, so it's in line with the Maxxis 2.5 tires. I had been running the DHF and this is definitely wider and I believe tougher with at least the same or better traction.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Next to a Hans Damf 2.35 , to me they looked the same in width.
    Hows about height, I need pedal clearance, are they any taller?

Also the more expensive ones w/120 tpi aren't listed on the site anymore.

These are the only ones listed.

Sold out maybe?

I'd run a Forkaster rear if'n it was taller....

info directly from Maxxis. The diameter for the 2.6 is 720mm.
    Ok so I just put a tube in a Hans Dampf, pumped it up hard enough so the tyre would hold it shape and got roughly 208/9mm. So another 5mm +/- will fit in the chainstays, but it's hard to believe it isn't any wider.
    Pics anyone?
    Last edited by tungsten; 04-23-2017 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    FYI - just picked up a Rekon 2.6 for my Evil Insurgent along with a DHF 2.6. Check out some pictures here. I haven't ran it yet, but are looking good! I am running LightBicycle 38 wheels. I am coming off a DHF 2.3 and Minion SS, which were much too squared off IMO. I think that these will actually roll faster and provide better performance.

Got both tires from universal cycles

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!! - Page 26- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    between the rekon and the forecaster 2.6, which will be wider, which would go better front and which rear? looking for the better rolling resistance rear and the better traction/cornering front

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by checocc View Post
    between the rekon and the forecaster 2.6, which will be wider, which would go better front and which rear? looking for the better rolling resistance rear and the better traction/cornering front
    Curious to know the answer to this also! Subscribed...
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Why US shipping only?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    The Aggressor seems like it could be a great option for you to match with a DHF 2.6 in front. I've been a little temped to try one in the rear. The un-ramped center knobs look like they'd provide excellent climbing traction, but I think the tire might be a little overkill for my needs.
    Not sure if you saw the announcement about the 2.50WT Aggressor coming this Summer. I'm really excited about the possibility of running a 2.60WT DHF up front and a 2.50WT Aggressor out back.

Quote Originally Posted by checocc View Post
    Same width on the casing but the Forekaster knobs are taller so I'd run it in the front. This is a really popular setup for 2.6" riders (FK front, Rekon rear). Some more aggressive riders are rolling on the 2.6 DHF up front and 2.6 FK on the back, really balanced combo between intermediate conditions grip and rolling resistance for long days in the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    Why US shipping only?
    The e-Store at shop.maxxis.com only serves the US. Maxxis has global distribution partners offering our tires in other markets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How does grip/speed compare 2.5 DHR vs 2.6 Rekon?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
    How does grip/speed compare 2.5 DHR vs 2.6 Rekon?
    I am quite interested in this comparison as well. I have a 2.5 Minion DHF WT on the front of my bike, and the 2.6 Rekon would save a little over a half a pound. If the grip is even remotely comparable...it could be a great option!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbanta View Post
    I am quite interested in this comparison as well. I have a 2.5 Minion DHF WT on the front of my bike, and the 2.6 Rekon would save a little over a half a pound. If the grip is even remotely comparable...it could be a great option!
    I switched from a 2.5 DHF WT to the 2.6 Rekon on the front of my Ibis HD3. I'm running a 2.4 Ardent in the rear. The Rekon rolls noticeably faster while still giving very good cornering traction on hardpack, which makes up most of my local trails. The first time I rode a dirt jump line with the Rekon I was surprised how much easier it was to carry speed than with the DHF. I've been running about 19psi and I weigh about 155.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks blizzard_mk! Thats exactly the info I was looking for. I have a 2.5 DHF/2.35 Forkaster combo now but want to save a bit of weight and loose rolling resistance. Heck, I'm tempted to try the 2.6 rekons front and rear!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rekon.jpg 
Views:	1380 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	1129525

GTscoob, just trying to confirm:

The rekon 2.6 mounted on a i35 rim inflated at 15-18 will seat at 2.6? Your help is appreciated. So much info flying around, it's hard to keep everything straight . ^this seems ideal

fuggansonofahowa
    I switched from a 2.5 DHF WT to the 2.6 Rekon on the front of my Ibis HD3. I'm running a 2.4 Ardent in the rear. The Rekon rolls noticeably faster while still giving very good cornering traction on hardpack, which makes up most of my local trails. The first time I rode a dirt jump line with the Rekon I was surprised how much easier it was to carry speed than with the DHF. I've been running about 19psi and I weigh about 155.
    This is on the short list for my next front tire. I am also currently running the DHF WT on an HD3. My only question is how does it perform in the wet?

A half pound is quite tempting, but New England conditions are far from dry. At first glance the tread pattern seems similar to the Nevegal, which does well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman View Post
    This is on the short list for my next front tire. I am also currently running the DHF WT on an HD3. My only question is how does it perform in the wet?

A half pound is quite tempting, but New England conditions are far from dry. At first glance the tread pattern seems similar to the Nevegal, which does well.
    I don't have much time on it in wet conditions yet. Other reviews say it's not bad in wet, but I'm sure you'd be giving up some performance from a Minion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have only ridden it a bit in wet conditions. I think it does admirably for what it is but I would.l probably want something better suited for wet/muddy conditions if that's what I rode more often then not.

It's less skatey than he minion ss I had on previously though .

fuggansonofahowa
    Thanks for the replies. The DHF/DHR combo is hard to beat. Great all-around. Staying on the bike takes priority over weight, IMO. I may give them a whirl in mid-late summer when conditions are at their driest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The DHF/DHR combo is hard to beat. Great all-around. Staying on the bike takes priority over weight, IMO. I may give them a whirl in mid-late summer when conditions are at their driest.
    Why don't you try the 2.6 Forkaster? Its made for wet conditions and would likely be just as good (if not better) for your application. The maxxis rep I talked to a few months ago said he was testing the 2.6 Forkaster up front with the 2.6 Rekon rear and has really liked the combo. All in all...don't discount the forkaster! I've been running it for a few months and have been impressed with the grip/consistent feel.

fuggansonofahowa
    Why don't you try the 2.6 Forkaster? Its made for wet conditions and would likely be just as good (if not better) for your application. The maxxis rep I talked to a few months ago said he was testing the 2.6 Forkaster up front with the 2.6 Rekon rear and has really liked the combo. All in all...don't discount the forkaster! I've been running it for a few months and have been impressed with the grip/consistent feel.
    The Forkaster looks like a good option. The tread spacing looks to be more designed for shedding the wet, sticky stuff. Weight savings aren't as good, but still lighter than the Minion. I also prefer a lesser directional tread in the front. Appreciate the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RidetheBoat View Post
    The rekon 2.6 mounted on a i35 rim inflated at 15-18 will seat at 2.6? Your help is appreciated. So much info flying around, it's hard to keep everything straight . ^this seems ideal
    That is correct. We highly recommend checking for the max inflation pressure of your rims (this is normally lower than the tire's rating) and holding the tires at that pressure for 24 hours to pre-stretch the tire casing out to the full width. Our tires sometimes end up narrower if you just seat the bead and drop to your standard riding pressure, but will grow over time. This is just a trick to get the full width right off the bat.

mtbr member
    I switched from a Forekaster 2.6 to a Rekon 2.6 in the back and it was a very noticable difference in rolling resistance. The Rekon flies in drier conditions. The Forekaster does shed mud much better though so I'll go back to it in the fall.

I'm running my 2.6 tires on 38mm Roval Traverse carbon and they both measured just under 2.5 when installed. I mounted them at the max PSI my rim allows for 36+ hours and didnt notice much of a change. I've been riding the the Rekon for over a month now, so I'll measure again and see if it changed.
    Im really not too concerned because the volume is legit, and the performance is outstanding.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxisTires View Post
    That is correct. We highly recommend checking for the max inflation pressure of your rims (this is normally lower than the tire's rating) and holding the tires at that pressure for 24 hours to pre-stretch the tire casing out to the full width. Our tires sometimes end up narrower if you just seat the bead and drop to your standard riding pressure, but will grow over time. This is just a trick to get the full width right off the bat.
    Ok,so I just bought the 2.6's based on your advice...... 😀

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I switched from a Forekaster 2.6 to a Rekon 2.6 in the back and it was a very noticable difference in rolling resistance. The Rekon flies in drier conditions. The Forekaster does shed mud much better though so I'll go back to it in the fall.

I'm running my 2.6 tires on 38mm Roval Traverse carbon and they both measured just under 2.5 when installed. I mounted them at the max PSI my rim allows for 36+ hours and didnt notice much of a change. I've been riding the the Rekon for over a month now, so I'll measure again and see if it changed.
    Im really not too concerned because the volume is legit, and the performance is outstanding.
    If you don't checking them i would be interested to know if your findings are in sync with maxxis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I caved and ordered a 3C 2.6 Rekon to try. Primarily to reduce weight over my current 2.5WT Minion DHF. It may loose a little grip, but should be perfect on a trail bike since it's ~.55 pounds lighter!

n00b
    They said July
    I'm itching to get one of these

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    instagram@krigloch

mtbr member
    I went out and measured my Rekon 2.6. When I first got it mounted on my 38mm ID rim it measured 2.48. It now measures 2.59. It definitely stretched!
    Weird thing is the Rekon 2.8 on my hardtail went from 2.66 when mounted to 2.7, also on 38mm ID rims. The height of the 2.8 is much taller though.

For comparision an Ardent 2.4 on the 38mm rims was 2.34 at the tread and 2.43 at the casing. A DHF 2.5 wt is 2.44 at the casing and 2.47 at the knobs.
    Im installing a DHF 2.6wt today so we will see how that compares to the 2.5wt.
    Last edited by Mr. Lynch; 06-22-2017 at 06:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Installed the DHF 2.6 this morning. Inflated it to 30psi and just went out and measured it. It is pretty much spot on 2.6 at the casing and the knobs are a tad narrower, around 2.55. It is taller than the 2.5 DHF not only in the casing, but the knobs appear a tad taller. Not as crazy big as the 2.8 DHF, but it is very meaty!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    thats good!, that should give it a rounded profile. can you post up a pic? psyched, my dhf comes in monday wheelset arrived yesterday. mr. Lynch, we are running same

mtbr member
    I posted more pix in the DHF 2.6 thread...Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?-img_20170623_122530.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    cool, i hate to sound lazy but I tried to find that thread... care to share?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erb16 View Post
    Rode Rekon 2.6 on my Trance over the weekend. Pressures at F-20 R-23 on 29mm inner width Flow MK3 rims. 3c maxxterra /TR/EXO.

At the bike shop when I picked them up we weighed them unmounted vs. EXO/TR Ardent 2.4 unmounted. They were 40g lighter. I was running Ardent 2.4 previously. I was unable to measure the Rekon width as my battery is dead in my digital caliper. They are wider and taller than the Ardent 2.4 that measured true 2.4 on my wheels.

To me the Rekon is a touch slower rolling than the Ardent. The bike just didnt pick up speed as easy. There is definitely more grip. I will happily sacrifice the speed for grip. My next ride I will drop the pressure 2psi at both ends. At 20/23 they were still a little firm feeling but still more compliant than the Ardent.

I have plans to ride again this coming Wednesday and will report back as I dial the pressures in. I will also get a battery for my calipers and get a width measurement.
    What's your weight of you don't mind?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mgfjd12 View Post
    What's your weight of you don't mind?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    220lbs ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Can anyone provide an outside diameter measurement of a 2.6 Rekon mounted up to a 30 or 35mm id rim?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    i am pretty sure i saw that posted as 28.38+/-

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    EDIT: I had mistakenly read incorrectly. - Note; tires are at 2.52 now, unridden

OK, just mounted the 27.5 x 2.6 Rekon (as a rear tire) on Ibis 741 i35 rim. very easy to setup. Inflated to 32 psi. casing measured 2.51, lugs 2.48, about 28.3+ tall

Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?-fullsizeoutput_2d8.jpg

Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?-fullsizeoutput_2d7.jpg

Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?-fullsizeoutput_2d6.jpg
    Last edited by RidetheBoat; 06-28-2017 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Got my 3C 2.6 Rekon in this weekend. It tipped the scales at 720 grams (claimed weight is 730g). My 2.5 Minion DHF WT weighed 1003 grams. After doing the math, the Rekon comes out to be .62 POUNDS lighter.

We are comparing two different classes tires here, but it is still a notable change in weight. If it has 3/4 the grip and rolls faster, I may have a new favorite tire.

My only dilemma is, what do you pair with this tire? Right now I have a 2.35 forekaster out back but am thinking that may be a mis-matched combo?

Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?-img_2394%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quick update to 27.5x2.6 Rekon (see my post above) inflated to 17psi, the tire width and height have held. the myth of running ,2 narrower is not true when mounted on a i35 rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    jlbanta, I was always concerned with the weight factor but here's what I'm thinking (free advice is worth just that ) the added traction and tire deformation with the 2.6 might just counter-act the added weight. When demoing a bunch of bikes on differing tires, the tire that felt the best was the Maxxis DHF 2.5wt. it just bit and gripped so well. It had a nice feel on the S-turns and on banked sidewalls. The 2.6 I demoed (NN) rolled very well and muted trail chatter, it just wanted to go faster despite some reports of them feeling sluggish, I found I preferred the feel of the 2.5 and 2.6's the best. I really felt the extra bite on climbing firm trails, they just ramped up and rolled. YMMV.

Did you read the article here on ,26's? A new tire size is coming and it doesn’t suck - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i have one and plan to mount on my Spot Rollik running IBIS 738 Wheels. Just waiting to other blow out or wear out the DHR2 2.4 WT i have on it now... love to hear any ride reports/comparo's ! I'm optimistic the 2.6 will work in this tread for the typical front range conditions. I do value grip over RR but hoping to find a great compromise in this lighter tire.

MTB B'dos
    You pair it with a 2.8" DHF 3C EXO 980g Run this combo with a bit of difference, run the 650Bx2.8" Rekon paired with a 29x3.0" DHF on my rigid, absolutely killer combo. Personally waiting for the 29" version.

Got my 3C 2.6 Rekon in this weekend. It tipped the scales at 720 grams (claimed weight is 730g). My 2.5 Minion DHF WT weighed 1003 grams. After doing the math, the Rekon comes out to be .62 POUNDS lighter.

We are comparing two different classes tires here, but it is still a notable change in weight. If it has 3/4 the grip and rolls faster, I may have a new favorite tire.

My only dilemma is, what do you pair with this tire? Right now I have a 2.35 forekaster out back but am thinking that may be a mis-matched combo?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    jlbanta, I was always concerned with the weight factor but here's what I'm thinking (free advice is worth just that ) the added traction and tire deformation with the 2.6 might just counter-act the added weight. When demoing a bunch of bikes on differing tires, the tire that felt the best was the Maxxis DHF 2.5wt. it just bit and gripped so well. It had a nice feel on the S-turns and on banked sidewalls. The 2.6 I demoed (NN) rolled very well and muted trail chatter, it just wanted to go faster despite some reports of them feeling sluggish, I found I preferred the feel of the 2.5 and 2.6's the best. I really felt the extra bite on climbing firm trails, they just ramped up and rolled. YMMV.

Did you read the article here on ,26's? A new tire size is coming and it doesn’t suck - Mtbr.com
    I'll agree with you for the time being, the 2.5 DHF is a killer tire and i've been running it for the past year. I am hoping the 2.6 Rekon still has proper sidewalls (not paper thin like plus tires) which will keep the tire from being squishy. I ran 25psi in the 2.5, so i'm hoping I can drop to 23psi while with the rekon and still keep the tire snappy in the corners. I'll try and report back after riding it a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'll be doing the same here! Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What about a 2.8 rekom on the front and a 2.6 rekon on the back? Or a 2.6 dhf with a 2.6 rekon. Sounds like a good combo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What about a 2.8 rekom on the front and a 2.6 rekon on the back? Or a 2.6 dhf with a 2.6 rekon. Sounds like a good combo.

I was thinking of something similar. I ride a hardtail that I like to ride on mellow trails and run 2.4 HR2 front and 2.3 HR2 rear. It's a great winter setup (the tall knobs grip really well in mud) but find they roll really slow and grip is just OK in dry, loose summer conditions. I was thinking that Rekon tires 2.8f and 2.6 rear might be slightly faster and not really loosing that much grip when it's dry anyways. Is anyone else running this setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a chance to try the 2.6 Rekon up front. My initial thoughts were...wow...this tire has an extremely round profile when mounted to a 32mm rim. I did like consistent edging blocks when compared to the Ardent as well.

First off, I immediately noticed the reduction in rolling resistance when compared to the 3C maxx grip 2.5 minion DHF. No surprise here, but it was quite drastic. When pushing through flat corners, I found myself leaning the bike over more than usual to get it to bite and turn. Not horrible, but definitely different than the aggressive DHF. I ran 23psi and the tire didnt squirm at all so I plan to try 20psi to see if I can pick up any cornering bite.

All in all, not a bad tire so far. I'll report back as I ride it more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Sounds like the dhf is quite a bit more grippy. Surprised it made that much of a difference up front where you don't have that much weight.
    Does anyone know if the knobs are the same size on the rekon 2.8 and 2.6?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I had a chance to try the 2.6 Rekon up front. My initial thoughts were...wow...this tire has an extremely round profile when mounted to a 32mm rim. I did like consistent edging blocks when compared to the Ardent as well.

First off, I immediately noticed the reduction in rolling resistance when compared to the 3C maxx grip 2.5 minion DHF. No surprise here, but it was quite drastic. When pushing through flat corners, I found myself leaning the bike over more than usual to get it to bite and turn. Not horrible, but definitely different than the aggressive DHF. I ran 23psi and the tire didnt squirm at all so I plan to try 20psi to see if I can pick up any cornering bite.

All in all, not a bad tire so far. I'll report back as I ride it more.
    riding conditions? thanks! I will be riding my 2.6 dhf this weekend. will report.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Dry / hard packed. Not too much loose dirt on top since we've had so much rain lately. I live in the carolinas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The combination of weight and compound will be noticeable between the 980g Maxxgrip tire to a 730g Maxxterra.
    Why is the 2.6 dhf not considered a WT?

MTB B'dos
    It is, just check Maxxis info on them and the design philosophy.
    The combination of weight and compound will be noticeable between the 980g Maxxgrip tire to a 730g Maxxterra.
    Why is the 2.6 dhf not considered a WT?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    correct, the 2.6 is a wt, they just have it labeled on the site but everything above 2.5 is WT, that said, there is a 2.5wt

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've gotten a few rides on the 3C 2.6 Rekon up front. I'm definitely not blown away with the tire likely due to its heavily rounded profile. I cant seem to get it to have distinctive bite in the corners even down at 21 psi. At 20 psi and it was a tad bit squirmy. It does have good bite but more of a consistent drift feel which is not confidence inspiring at times.

All in all, I think it lacks a consistent channel between the braking and cornering knobs like the DHF and DHRII. I know i shouldn't be comparing tires...but I am tempted to cut one of the inboard knobs to try and pick up some sidebite. I’ve seen this done on the wider DHRII center knobs (especially when a DHRII is run up front). I made a sketch below with X's on the knobs I am thinking about removing. They are slightly staggered and may open up a channel that would help the tire corner better.

This might be a terrible idea, does anyone have thoughts on this?

Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?-maxxis_rekon_sipe.jpg

MTB B'dos
    I'm curious how heavy you are that 20 PSI feels squirmy? I think the problem you're having is your trying/expecting it to behave like a DHF and be as good, when in fact it's a different type tyre, IMHO - the edge knobs alone should tell you this.

I've gotten a few rides on the 3C 2.6 Rekon up front. I'm definitely not blown away with the tire likely due to its heavily rounded profile. I cant seem to get it to have distinctive bite in the corners even down at 21 psi. At 20 psi and it was a tad bit squirmy. It does have good bite but more of a consistent drift feel which is not confidence inspiring at times.

mtbr member
    I'd be lying if I said I havent had the exact same thought about the exact same knobs before.

Intermediate knobs are great for a lot of people due to consistent traction at a variety of lean angles but some people really want that locked in feel that you can only get with an open channel between the center and shoulder knobs.

Standard disclaimer, I work for Maxxis and we do not endorse modifying your tires, doing so will void your warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

All in all, I think it lacks a consistent channel between the braking and cornering knobs like the DHF and DHRII. I know i shouldn't be comparing tires...but I am tempted to cut one of the inboard knobs to try and pick up some sidebite. I’ve seen this done on the wider DHRII center knobs (especially when a DHRII is run up front). I made a sketch below with X's on the knobs I am thinking about removing. They are slightly staggered and may open up a channel that would help the tire corner better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maxxis_Rekon_Sipe.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	1146025
    Perhaps you should just run a Forecaster up front as something between this and a DHF?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What rim width inner you're using? 40mm or more would allow you to get down to 12-14psi front with slow loss of traction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'm curious how heavy you are that 20 PSI feels squirmy? I think the problem you're having is your trying/expecting it to behave like a DHF and be as good, when in fact it's a different type tire, IMHO - the edge knobs alone should tell you this.
    I weigh 140 but I think rider aggressiveness plays a part in this as well. It didn’t feel squirmy on flat corners, but you could definitely feel the squishiness under high speed berms and corners with roots that break traction. I agree that the Rekon isn’t comparable to a DHF, but I feel like it has more potential. When cornering, the intermediate knobs share the load which prevents the outer cornering knobs from fully digging in. The intermediate knobs are essentially de-loading the outer knobs.

I'd be lying if I said I havent had the exact same thought about the exact same knobs before.
    Intermediate knobs are great for a lot of people due to consistent traction at a variety of lean angles but some people really want that locked in feel that you can only get with an open channel between the center and shoulder knobs.
    Standard disclaimer, I work for Maxxis and we do not endorse modifying your tires, doing so will void your warranty.
    Pretty cool that I’m not alone on this thought. I’m incredibly tempted to try this but know I risk scrapping a pricey tire. With the domed tire shape, my only concern is how far you'd have to lean the bike over before you get bite. Should I abandon ship and try the 2.6 Forkaster? Does the forkaster have notably better sidebite? (not full on DHF bite, but better than the rekon?)

Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    Perhaps you should just run a Forecaster up front as something between this and a DHF?
    Yeahh…..you got me here - This is likely what I’ll try next.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    What rim width inner you're using? 40mm or more would allow you to get down to 12-14psi front with slow loss of traction.
    I have 32mm wide rims. A wider rim would be a good option since it'd flatten out the profile as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    after a couple of rides with the dhf / rekon, i wish i could take a little of the rolling weight off but the dhf is so damn good, i'll stick with it. im running i35's at 18 up front 20 rear and feel pretty solid. right now our trails are very dry but not getting too loose yet so i do wonder if theres a happy medium.

who's running forecasters? Doesn't that have tall treads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    after a couple of rides with the dhf / rekon, i wish i could take a little of the rolling weight off but the dhf is so damn good, i'll stick with it. im running i35's at 18 up front 20 rear and feel pretty solid. right now our trails are very dry but not getting too loose yet so i do wonder if theres a happy medium.

who's running forecasters? Doesn't that have tall treads?
    I run it. It has a more aggressive tread than the rekon I think. Closer to a nobby nic.

Great tire. Mine had an undersized casing, which is disappointing. For dry dusty rocky trails I might stick with it instead of going to a 2.6 rekon. Not sure yet. It leans very well though, and seems to have great bite. I may try the 2.6 nobby Nick... But I'll wait until this one is worn.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    Well, since I had a bit of time, I decided to do some digital cutting for you and here's what it would look like if you removed those intermediate knobs on the Rekon, looks very similar to a tyre a lot of people hate, myself included.

Now I don't know if having those HR2 type centre knobs in there which go further towards the outer knobs or the more even spacing of the centre knobs would be enough to not give it that vague feeling the Ardent has if you don't slam it over, but after my experiences with the Ardent, I surely am not willing to give it a go.

IMHO me the Ardent never did anything good, was mediocre at best, worst Maxxis tyre I ever used, to me the Rekon is a tyre you'd pair with a DHF upfront or put on the front with an Ardent Race outback, not as a super aggressive front tyre like a DHF, it just doesn't have the stoutness in the casing or edge knobs to be that.

Anyone running 2.6 Rekon's yet?-g0001g7g.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast