mtbr member

Anyone ride Bonty TLR 29-3s?

Not the regualar 29-3, but these.

http://bontrager.com/model/07943
    Yea they are heavy...

Anyone? Feedback? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thats the rear specific 2.0 then front 2.2 is a cracking tire, sure they'll do exactly what there designed to do, which is put power down and keep you going forward no matter what.

mtbr member
    Is the 2.25 front specific?
    If not, how would it be on the rear? Anchor rolling?
    I'm starting to think that my FR3 needs to go up front, thus I'm looking for a replacement rear bigish TLR. My FR3 doesn't hook up so well on damp rocks, technique aside...
    Last edited by Noclutch; 09-10-2010 at 06:56 PM.

I Have Cookies
    I think Shiggy Does.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Well I'll be listening to what he do, if he chimes in

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    the front 2.2 is a cracking tire.
    There's one on the front of each of my 29ers. Great tires IMO. As for running them on the back, IIRC if you search around on twentynineinches.com you'll find a review of them used that way. Pretty sure they worked fine on both ends. Here's one link http://twentynineinches.com/2009/12/...er-29-3-tires/
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Bob- yea I had seen that a while back. What I never see explained definitively,and so I'm just guessing here, is the 2.25 (front)the one with the V-pattern and the 2.0(rear) the Bar- pattern?
    My bike had 2.25 29-3's stock, but they were the non-TLR version and seemed a bit delicate and thin cased, squirmy at low psi and poor cornering rolled over....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch
    Is the 2.25 front specific?
    If not, how would it be on the rear? Anchor rolling?
    I'm starting to think that my FR3 needs to go up front, thus I'm looking for a replacement rear bigish TLR. My FR3 doesn't hook up so well on damp rocks, technique aside...
    I have the 29-3 Team Issue TLR tires and have used the 2.25 (the "arrow" tread) F & R with good effect. Does fine on the damp rocks and roots as well as dry hard pack to loose. Not a great sand tire. Generally good tracking and cornering.

The 2.00 is the paddle tread. Also pretty good, but without the volume. Corners surprisingly well on the rear. I know the pro team riders have used it F&R for muddy races.

I agree that the FR-3 is not good on those damp rocks and roots. I do like it in the dry, at least on the front.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Okay the 2.0 with the paddle tread will work better in mud basically than the 2.25 front front version, the tread on the 2.25 on the front makes for a great fast precise steering tire though.

The FR3 is very slow steering, vague aswell that central rib really doesn't work on the front, the volume is slightly down on the 29-3 2.25 aswell, wider but not as tall.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys- good to hear actual feedback vs pontification. My dilema is partially fueled by where I ride, partially from newb technique/lack there of.
    Most of it is flat, fast, swoopy, sandy, pine needled/leafy/rooted and shaded/moist usually with occasional sections of a mile or two of limerocks, shaded, damp cool not wet climbs in 22/32 or so, and I'm missing critical strokes due to slippage with my FR3 run for rear application. So it's going up front and a TLR of some flava going on the rear in it's place. The Exiwolf currently up front is goingaway too.
    Suggestions?

No longer 26
    I love the 29-3 2.25 up front on my 29er. Corners as well as or better than the ACX before it and rolls a bit better. The only front tire from Bonty that I have used that does not need to be leaned a lot to get cornering bit. Yet can be transitioned to a lean pretty darn smoothly. I have heard that the new 29-2 will be a nice match for it on the rear.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    G-live- was that the 29-3 2.25 TLR or non-TLR you were using?