Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?

Tire was brought to my attention from a buddy. Looks like a great tire but haven't heard much about it and doesn't seem too popular..? Just curious if anyone has ran this tire and has any info on it ?
    -No Shortcuts

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    ive been looking at it too. id like to see some real world pictures. from what i hear its a more aggressive ardent
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Rocks belong
    Looks like Maxxis response to the new Nobby Nic?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Looks like Maxxis response to the new Nobby Nic?
    definitely possible, idk why they keep adding these random new models when they can just update some of what they have though
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    ive been looking at it too. id like to see some real world pictures. from what i hear its a more aggressive ardent
    Lighter and more aggressive then ardent?? Might be worth a try
    -No Shortcuts

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by F29Lefty View Post
    Lighter and more aggressive then ardent?? Might be worth a try
    735 for a 29x2.35. Almosttoo light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    735 for a 29x2.35. Almosttoo light
    I wonder what the rating is for rolling resistance..?
    -No Shortcuts

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This one is on my radar, after I burn through a couple in my tire stack. Agree, it looks very similar to the new NN.

The Ardent was a shitshow of a tire, so glad Maxxis is fixing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    This one is on my radar, after I burn through a couple in my tire stack. Agree, it looks very similar to the new NN.

There is a new ardent coming out???
    -No Shortcuts

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looking at the tread pattern, it's basically an Ardent with thicker side knobs and a more punchy center tread that should work better on loose surfaces. Still has the staggered side knobs and they've blocked off every other cornering knob with a transition knob. Doesn't look all that promising to me, I'd much rather use a Michelin Wild Grip'r Advanced than this Maxxis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Looking at the tread pattern, it's basically an Ardent with thicker side knobs and a more punchy center tread that should work better on loose surfaces. Still has the staggered side knobs and they've blocked off every other cornering knob with a transition knob. Doesn't look all that promising to me, I'd much rather use a Michelin Wild Grip'r Advanced than this Maxxis.
    I'm a huge fan of Michelin motorcycle road tires. How are their mtb tires?
    -No Shortcuts

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    In a word: good. The Wild Rock'r is exceptional.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There is a new ardent coming out???
    No, that's not what I am implying.

I meant to say that the Ardent is such a crap tire that Maxxis should fix it. Instead of fixing the Ardent, they released the Forekaster, which looks to address the Ardent's crappiness (huge dead zone, weak cornering knobs).

Did I mention I hate the Ardent??? LOL.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

I meant to say that the Ardent is such a crap tire that Maxxis should fix it. Instead of fixing the Ardent, they released the Forekaster, which looks to address the Ardent's crappiness (huge dead zone, weak cornering knobs).

Which Ardent do you hate?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Which Ardent do you hate?
    Both 29er versions, skinny and fat one. Don't remember the sizes exactly.

No experience on Ardent race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm never buying another Maxxis, Schwalbe, or Continental tire as long as Michelin keeps their current lineup going. I bought a set of Wild Rock'R2 recently and was impressed by its overall performance and amazed by its ridiculous cornering. It corners better than anything I've ever ridden and that includes the DH versions of the DHF. The Wild Grip'R which I just got has been pretty good as well. Seems pretty close to the Geax Goma I've been using for a year except it actually works when the trails are wet or sloppy. I run the Gum-X rubber compound in all my Michelins, hard to say how durable it is since I haven't had the tires that long, but it has a good combination of grip and rolling speed.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Both 29er versions, skinny and fat one. Don't remember the sizes exactly.

No experience on Ardent race.
    Interesting. I really like the 2.4 on the front.
    Running them on the 26 and 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm never buying another Maxxis, Schwalbe, or Continental tire as long as Michelin keeps their current lineup going. I bought a set of Wild Rock'R2 recently and was impressed by its overall performance and amazed by its ridiculous cornering. It corners better than anything I've ever ridden and that includes the DH versions of the DHF. The Wild Grip'R which I just got has been pretty good as well. Seems pretty close to the Geax Goma I've been using for a year except it actually works when the trails are wet or sloppy. I run the Gum-X rubber compound in all my Michelins, hard to say how durable it is since I haven't had the tires that long, but it has a good combination of grip and rolling speed.
    Yeah, they're great tires until you put them on the scale and realize how much weight you're adding.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Yeah, they're great tires until you put them on the scale and realize how much weight you're adding.
    Unless you're running a Wild Race'R Advanced Ultimate.
    The air used to pump them up weighs more than the tyres.

The air also has more grip...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I'm fine with the extra weight when it means the tires actually last. Every time I go under 700g or so in a tire, they either get the sidewalls shredded or the casings end up with a bunch of wobbles after a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm fine with the extra weight when it means the tires actually last. Every time I go under 700g or so in a tire, they either get the sidewalls shredded or the casings end up with a bunch of wobbles after a few weeks.
    This. Everyone raves about Maxxis Exo being strong but I can't make them last, constantly tearing sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tire was brought to my attention from a buddy. Looks like a great tire but haven't heard much about it and doesn't seem too popular..? Just curious if anyone has ran this tire and has any info on it ?
    I have a Forekaster.

I have not ridden it yet, but I do have it mounted. I also have a new Ardent 2.4 and Ikon 2.35 as well. I measured the weight of all three, as you can see in the pictures. I also measured the Bead to Bead of each. The Forekaster appears to be smaller based on Bead to Bead measurement and visual appearance. I will measure the width on the rim (tread and casing) tomorrow to verify, They are all mounted on 22mm internal width rims.

Bead to Bead (tires are brand new, before mounting)
    Ikon 2.35 152mm (relaxed) 155mm (stretched by hand)
    Ardent 2.4 152mm (relaxed) 159.5mm (stretched by hand)
    Forekaster 2.35 145mm (relaxed) 149mm (stretched by hand)

The Ardent is a non-EXO casing and therefore stretches approximately twice as far as the Ikon and Forekaster. Also, people complain that Specialized tires tear easy. I can say with confidence that the non-EXO casing is thinner than a Specialized control casing. The Ardent's 60TPI casing is somewhere between a S-Works and control 120TPI casing. I compared them with tires I have laying around.

I plan to compare the Forekaster and Ardent back-to-back as a front tire within the next few weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_0170.jpg  

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_0163.jpg  

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_0164.jpg  

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_0165.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by projekZERO View Post
    I have a Forekaster.

I have not ridden it yet, but I do have it mounted. I also have a new Ardent 2.4 and Ikon 2.35 as well. I measured the weight of all three, as you can see in the pictures. I also measured the Bead to Bead of each. The Forekaster appears to be smaller based on Bead to Bead measurement and visual appearance. I will measure the width on the rim (tread and casing) tomorrow to verify, They are all mounted on 22mm internal width rims.

Bead to Bead (tires are brand new, before mounting)
    Ikon 2.35 152mm (relaxed) 155mm (stretched by hand)
    Ardent 2.4 152mm (relaxed) 159.5mm (stretched by hand)
    Forekaster 2.35 145mm (relaxed) 149mm (stretched by hand)

The Ardent is a non-EXO casing and therefore stretches approximately twice as far as the Ikon and Forekaster. Also, people complain that Specialized tires tear easy. I can say with confidence that the non-EXO casing is thinner than a Specialized control casing. The Ardent's 60TPI casing is somewhere between a S-Works and control 120TPI casing. I compared them with tires I have laying around.

I plan to compare the Forekaster and Ardent back-to-back as a front tire within the next few weeks.
    Looking forward to hearing back. I'm currently running an Ardent 2.4 Exo on front and just ordered an ardent race for rear. But the forekaster is intriguing
    -No Shortcuts

mtbr member

Ohhhh hahaa I get it now. I live in Idaho. I feel like that ardent 2.4 has crazy traction. Far better then it's 2.25 little brother
    -No Shortcuts

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Looks like they are finally available. Just ordered one off backcountry.

Going to replace a 2.35 ikon out front on my xc wheel, now I just need to wait to kill my rear ikon to switch them out and the forecaster will get put out front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    This. Everyone raves about Maxxis Exo being strong but I can't make them last, constantly tearing sidewalls.
    I can't either, and neither can several other folks who I ride with. Most of them went to 2-ply DH casings for the DHF and HR2 whereas I went over to Vittoria and Michelin.

mtbr member

just put my ardent 2.4 back on... first ride back on it.. crashed broken collarbone.. i have had 3 rides on that tire and crashed on 2 of the 3.. not sure if its the tire but thats definitely the common denominator. ugh.. no riding for a bit. had the surgery.. i have couple months to decide on a new set of tires
    -No Shortcuts

Live Free & Ride
    Seems to have a bit more tread than the Ikon and better spacing than the Ardent, and the weight is decent. Just not sure how durable they will be....but, they are an XC tire and not and enduro tire, so there ya go. First ride here:

First Ride: Maxxis Forekaster | BIKE Magazine
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've got a few rides on my Forekasters (front and rear). I'm running them on my Yeti SB4.5c with Nox Composites Teocalli wheels. Things I noticed right off the bat is that they're not as high volume as the ardent 2.4 or ikon 2.35. The tread is more "beefy" than I anticipated, but they don't roll slow.

The trails around here in Arkansas really seem to suit them. Braking traction is fantastic, cornering is very predictable. It's too early to comment on durability, but I can tell you they're better than the new Nobby Nics I was running. My brother and I rode a trail system that hadn't finished drying out from a rain, he was running Ikon 2.35's front and rear, and I was following him watching him slip and slid all over the wet rocks and roots but i was feeling very confident. So far I'm really liking them!

mtbr member
    Have they stretched out anymore in volume? Usually the 120 tpi tires get a little bigger after a little use.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Replaced the stock front tire (Spec Butcher) on my SJ with a Forekaster last week. It has definitely grown a couple mm and now measures just under 60mm wide on a 29mm internal rim. So far I dig it. Excellent traction and no dead spots when cornering. Significantly better grip than the Ikon I used as a back tire, which I used to think was a grippy tire. Can't decide if I should buy a second for the back wheel or try an Ardent Race.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I've run the Forecaster as a front paired with a Ikon out back here in FL and it works really well. Rolls faster than I expected, not noticeably slower than the Ikon. I've also run it as a rear with DHR up front in the mountains. As A rear I liked it better than the Ikon/Minion SS because it actually has some straight line braking ability. I give it a thumbs up.

mtbr member
    I'm also running a Forekaster on the front with a ikon in back. Previously running a 2.35 ikon on front. It is slightly smaller volume than 2.35 ikon, but more tread as others have said. Still might stretch.

Mine was 718g.

So far I really like it. I'm using it on loose, rocky, sandy, gravely terrain. Good bite, and rolls fast.

mtbr member
    Completed my first ride on a pair of Forekasters last night.

Bike is a rigid singlespeed with 26mm internal rims. Primary use is xc riding and racing. I weigh around 160 lbs. Trails have a little of everything including roots, hardpack, loose over hard, loose, big rocks, small rocks, etc.... For reference, here's some of the tires I've tried recently.

Front:
    Ikon 2.35 3c tr exo
    Ground Control 2.3 (control casing and grid casing)
    Ardent 2.4 tr exo
    DHRII 2.3 3c tr exo
    DHF 2.3 3c tr exo

Rear:
    Ikon 2.2 3c tr exo
    Ground control 2.1 (control and grid)
    Ardent Race 2.2 tr exo
    Ikon 2.35 3c tr exo
    Minion SS
    Minion DHRII 2.3 tr exo

Impressions below are on a trail I'm very familiar with. It's a 5 mile loop with around 500' of climbing. I've done over 100 laps on it within the past year.

Rolling Resistance:
    First thing I noticed was I could feel the knobs on hardpack, and that the rolling resistance seemed somewhat high. Following people on flowy downhill sections, I had to pump and pedal a little more than with my most recent tires, which were the ground controls. So far, I'd say rolling resistance is the biggest weakness of the tires, but I feel the tires more than make up for it in other areas.

Climbing Traction:
    Riding a singlespeed, I typically have to run a more aggressive rear tire since it's not always possible to be smooth with power delivery. Ikon 2.2 and the Ardent Race slip a lot on loose climbs for me. Ground control 2.1 did better than those, but the low volume caused it to bounce and skip. The forekasters have the best climbing traction of any of the tires I listed above. I could really be lazy with my weight balance, and the tires just hooked up. The knobs bit in to loose over hard and the high volume allowed them to conform to the trail. 100% satisfied with climbing traction!

Climbing Weight:
    I noticed the light weight of the tires while climbing, and it was somewhat of a strange feeling. I've never had a tire anywhere near this light with this level of traction. With the perceived rolling resistance leading up to a climb, it just felt like I was about to have to lug a big, heavy, and slow tire up the climbs, but the weight just wasn't there. On loose over hard climbs, this is the fastest tire I've ever used. Similar weight to the 2.35 ikon and 2.2 Ardent Race, but with a LOT more traction than either.

Cornering:
    These are among the best cornering tires I've tried. Max grip levels seem to be above the ikon, ardent race, ground control, and ardent. Not quite up to minion cornering grip, but not too far. Need more time on them, but it seemed the knobs might have been rolling over a little when at their limits, causing the tire to break loose. Just seemed somewhat vague compared to a minion, but overall they are far superior to the other tires. When the tires broke loose, it was a little more abrupt than some of the other tires, but they also hooked back up sooner. The 2.35 ikons for example break loose very gradually, slide some, and then gradually hook back up. The forekasters would break loose, slide for a very short time, an then hook back up. The tires never fully washed out though and as of now I feel very confident riding right at their cornering limits. I've had other tires that were just unpredictable, and you'd never know when they were going to cause you to lay the bike over, but I have confidence in the forekasters. Also worth mentioning that I didn't feel any dead spots in the cornering traction at various lean angles.

Braking:
    Better than any tire listed above except for the minions. Stopped quickly on a variety of surfaces and never felt squirrelly.

Overall I'm very happy with the tires, and don't see myself changing to something else anytime soon.

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20160607_192450.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Running a forekaster front, big ikon out back. Finally mounted up the forekaster, after fussing with a valve stem that didn't want to seal.

After a few days of stretching, the forekaster measures 59mm on 24mm id rim.
    In comparison my ikon out back, measures 58.5mm on a 21.5mm id rim. The ikon I had out front on the 24mm rim ran in at 60mm before I took it off. All measurements at the casing. So I'd say size is very comparable to the big ikon.

Best yet this tire is light! Lighter than the ikon it replaced, with much beefier tread.

First ride is in, solid middle of the road tire. The biggest thing I noticed was how well it spun up, not used to a tire this light. Rolls alright, corners alright, breaks great, and the times I reached it's limits it's let go in a manner that didn't put me on my back side.
    Last edited by lawnboi; 06-11-2016 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How do they compare with Continental X-Kings? I understand that there are no problems in the gripping department, but what about the rolling resistance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    How do they compare with Continental X-Kings? I understand that there are no problems in the gripping department, but what about the rolling resistance?
    Iv run a 2.4 protection x king, as well as a few mkii protections and I'll start by saying I won't buy conti tires again....

But the x king rolled well, was more comparable to the big ikon for grip, wore super fast, seeped out of the side walls as soon as they got a little skuffed(same thing happened with every conti tire I own), that and the protection casing is not the most supple. The grip was not in the same league as the forekaster in my opinion. The forekaster is a pretty knobby tire. I'd compare the forekaster more to the mkii than the x king.

Then the maxxis, maxxis exo/tr casing rocks. Holds up, doesn't weep, isn't super pressure sensitive. Can't speak of wear, but if the forekaster wears like other maxxis tires Iv used I'm sure I'll be happy. My x king lasted all of 300 miles.

The forekaster is an awsome tire so far, totally happy with it for trail riding. Might even be a great rear tire, if you can deal with the lighter casing for rougher terrain

aka bOb
    Holding my breath for the 27.5 version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks.

So the Forekaster is noticeably slower than X-King. It is good reference for me, because I've used 2.4 BlackChilli X-Kings for last year. I find them bit slow for my riding and trails. They are tolerable, but little bit faster would be good. They have good grip on wet roots. On the other hand, they pack up on sticky mud very fast and loose the grip.

I was hoping that there is a large volume tyre that will roll not worse than X-King, but sheds mud better and has good grip on wet roots. That would be universal tyre for my riding.

If Forekasters are like Mountain Kings then they are probably too knobby for my usage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    Thanks.

So the Forekaster is noticeably slower than X-King. It is good reference for me, because I've used 2.4 BlackChilli X-Kings for last year. I find them bit slow for my riding and trails. They are tolerable, but little bit faster would be good. They have good grip on wet roots. On the other hand, they pack up on sticky mud very fast and loose the grip.

I was hoping that there is a large volume tyre that will roll not worse than X-King, but sheds mud better and has good grip on wet roots. That would be universal tyre for my riding.

If Forekasters are like Mountain Kings then they are probably too knobby for my usage.
    Have you tried the 2.35 ikon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Compared to the Ardent 2.4, these grip better, how do they roll?

mtbr member
    Forekaster on a 26mm internal rim. Not too round or too flat, which allows it to work well on both the front and back.

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20160620_145619.jpg

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20160620_145625.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Compared to the Ardent 2.4, these grip better, how do they roll?
    I raced on them last weekend. When coasting on downhills, I didn't seem to be any slower than other bikes. When on hardpack or pavement, the knobs definitely make a lot of noise and there's rolling resistance, but out on the trail they don't seem slow at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnboi View Post
    Have you tried the 2.35 ikon?
    Friend had Ikon 2.2 that he was not using, so I've tried this out. It is pretty good, grip on wet roots is as good as X-King. I will test Bontrager XR2 next.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I raced on them last weekend. When coasting on downhills, I didn't seem to be any slower than other bikes. When on hardpack or pavement, the knobs definitely make a lot of noise and there's rolling resistance, but out on the trail they don't seem slow at all.
    Thanks. Replaced an Ardent 2.4 on the front with it. 60 slick miles and I'm really liking this tire. Probably put one on the rear this fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You ran them front and back, with little resistance? The ikon on the back is now way out gripped, think of putting a Forekaster on the back if the US dosen't get the AR 2.35 soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    You ran them front and back, with little resistance? The ikon on the back is now way out gripped, think of putting a Forekaster on the back if the US dosen't get the AR 2.35 soon.

It's working for me. On the rigid bike, I typically run a more aggressive tire anyway since the rear is bouncing and slipping up most climbs. Definitely slower than an ikon, but not too bad out on the dirt and rocks.

I'm interested in the ardent race 2.35 as well. It would probably be a better rear for most applications.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    It's working for me. On the rigid bike, I typically run a more aggressive tire anyway since the rear is bouncing and slipping up most climbs. Definitely slower than an ikon, but not too bad out on the dirt and rocks.

I'm interested in the ardent race 2.35 as well. It would probably be a better rear for most applications.
    I'm hoping as well for the 2.35 AR. I'm on a hard tail. The AR with more volume would be ideal match for the summer. I know I'll put the forekaster on this fall.

Robertson
    Currently considering Forekaster front, AR 2.35 rear (have about a month or so of life left in my current tires so I can wait) for my next tire combination. These would be on 32 internal rims, anyone run the Forekaster on wider rims? Profile okay? These seem to me to be similar to profile/grip/rolling resistance to a Nobby Nic, anyone else think so?

mtbr member

Pic of Forekaster on my Mach 429 Trail - took it on very quick ride, tried to cause it to wash out on sand over hardpack but held firm. Very Nobby Nic'esque. Feels pretty light also. Will try this with AR 2.2 back.

Nobby Nic for comparison:

Have a 2.35 AR on order so will be interesting to compare as front tire.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The Forekaster does look to have some single speed rear potential.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Pic of Forekaster on my Mach 429 Trail - took it on very quick ride, tried to cause it to wash out on sand over hardpack but held firm. Very Nobby Nic'esque. Feels pretty light also. Will try this with AR 2.2 back.

Nobby Nic for comparison:

Have a 2.35 AR on order so will be interesting to compare as front tire.
    Where did you order the 2.35 AR?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Currently considering Forekaster front, AR 2.35 rear (have about a month or so of life left in my current tires so I can wait) for my next tire combination. These would be on 32 internal rims, anyone run the Forekaster on wider rims? Profile okay? These seem to me to be similar to profile/grip/rolling resistance to a Nobby Nic, anyone else think so?
    I have one on a 30mm internal rim. The profile is very similar to the 26mm rim I posted above, except slightly more square. Sitting side by side, it's hard to see a difference.

mtbr member

Just had my first ride with the Maxis FK 2.35. Here is a short review:

The rider:

5'10
    215 kitted
    Logging ~2,000 miles so far this year

Bike:

2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail, Large
    Fork: Fox Factory Float 34, 130mm @ 95psi with three air volume reducers (stock); rebound 4 clicks from full out (slowest)
    Shock: Fox Factory DPS 116mm set to "race" mode on the sag indicator; rebound 4 clicks from full out (slowest)
    Wheel size: 29"
    Wheel material: Light Bicycle carbon (I can't recall ID, but they aren't wide)
    Hubs: DTSwiss 240s; 28 spokes front and back
    Front tire: Maxxis Forekaster, 2.35 @ 22psi, tubeless
    Back Tire: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.20 @ 25psi, tubeless

Where I ride:

Mostly SoCal / San Diego / Greater San Diego Area (Hodges, Daley, PQ, Noble, Cuyamaca, La Costa, Calavera, San Juan, Black Mountain) etc.

Conditions can only currently be described as:

- Sand over hard pack
    - Deeper sand over hard pack
    - Rocks with sand and / or deeper sand over hard pack
    - Rocks

Today's ride was around Lake Hodges where I happen to live near one of the trailheads. I ride this trail a lot before work and know almost every rock, turn, etc. by heart. Conditions were super dry and blown out. Temperature was around 80 degrees with winds around 5-10mph from the west. Lake Hodges is considered easy MTB riding with occasional mildly technical features along the way. The route has lots of twisty single track and frequent off camber turns. Total distance ridden today was 19.6 miles.

Maxxis markets the Forekaster as a wet weather tire, but I think after today this tire has become my go to front tire for light trail / XC in SoCal where dry, dusty, and loose conditions prevail.

Cornering: This tire was exceptional for holding a line through corners even off camber. I found that I could even be a bit sloppy in my technique (i.e., leaning body with bike as I turn vs. moving bike beneath you) and the Forekaster did not flinch. I often ride a Minion DHF on this bike as a front tire and found the Forekaster to corner at least as well as the Minion DHF and certainly better than an Ardent 2.4 I recently used. 5 stars.

Rolling resistance: I could perceive no less rolling resistance than the Ardent 2.4 referenced above, and maybe a bit less resistance than a Minion DHF. Having the additional confidence with this tire allowed me to carry my speed through turns without that little "feather brake" I often do when I feel like I might just lose traction. The only tires that I have ridden that beat this tire's rolling resistance are a 2.35 Ikon, 2.20 Ardent Race and then of course Racing Ralph's. However, an Ikon or a Racing Ralph would not do well in these conditions unless you pay attention to each and every turn. The other day I tried Ikon 2.35s front and rear and liked the combo, but you had to really watch what you were doing with the front tire. 4 stars

Weight: This tire is surprisingly light - Maxxis says it is 735 grams and I think that feels about right. Definitely lighter feeling than a Minion DHF and felt this tire would be superb for 30-50 mile rides. I would put this on par with a Nobby Nic, but for whatever reason the Forekaster feels like it holds it's line better (shape of casing?) This weight, for it's confidence inspiring traction is very good so I am giving this 5 stars.

Off camber traction: Where most of the Maxxis line I am used to (Minion DHF, High Roller II, Ardent Race) sort of relies on those corner knobs for traction in off camber turns as well as the perfunctory erosion channels that pervade SoCal trails, the Forekaster seems to use the entire tire to achieve this. I didn't feel like I was hanging on to the last set of knobs before losing traction. Excellent traction and the longer the ride got the more confident I felt. 5 stars.

Deep sand: This is the one I was most curious about - you know those times when you see sand coming up that is 4-8 inches deep and you are always surprised by how your wheels move - where other tires often made moderately or even severe directional changes, the Forekaster tracked very nicely with only minor steering corrections. It was actually pretty cool and I never felt this kind of control through deep sand (yes, I know fat bikes can do it better blah blah). 5 stars.

Installation: Super easy with the Tubeless Ready - 5 stars.

In summary, if you are looking for a light-ish tire at 735 grams for dry, dusty, loose conditions like here in SoCal, I highly recommend this tire.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Just had my first ride with the Maxis FK 2.35. Here is a thorough review:
    FIFY

nice review. i just got one of these last week, haven't mounted it yet. it will be my new front tire on my dual purpose "race" wheelset. I'm eager to get it on and go for a test ride (insert joke here). I'm in upstate NY where it's currently dry as a bone, I know not like west coast, but have a wide variety of trail conditions here. I'm hoping it lives up to all the reviews I've read. i'll post my review after my first ride....
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-tallboy-3-forekaster-logo.jpgAnyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-tallboy-3-forekaster.jpg

Mine arrived yesterday and I installed it. It replaced a Minion DHF as my front tire, which was overkill (too heavy and slow) for my trails and riding.

Rear tire is an Ardent Race 2.35. I think this will be a good combo for me.

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-tallboy-3-ardent-race.jpg

MTB B'dos
    Nice review thanks for that, goes exactly along what I was thinking the tyre would perform like and your trail conditions are exactly what we've had here for the last year as rain has been more than scarce. Just a little FYI, people seem to be reading the descriton for this tyre wrong, it in fact meant for loose conditions or wet and this is why I think this is going to be my tyre of choice going forward for down here.

Forekaster
    With the Forekaster on your bike, you can forget about the weather and hit the trails.

Aggressive XC Tire
    Optimized for loose or wet conditions
    Dual Compound
    Tubeless Ready (TR)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Wanna ride bikes?
    got mine mounted last night (EXO/TR) and did a long test ride today. really a very good performing tire at a great weight. mine is setup in front on a 35mm rim. I'm 205 lbs. setup tubeless great with floor pump on hookless rim. very little sealant leak in the first 5 min, then was solid.

did a total of 37 miles over 4.5 hours. started the day really wet slick conditions. roots, rocks, loose over hard, hard, sand, mud, i covered all of it today. it never broke loose hard enough to dump me, it was almost hard to get a good feel for the tire because the conditions were changing so much, but every time is started to slide i was able to catch it.

it rides pretty well, less harsh then my last protection tire (Conti). some of that may be due to the carbon rim vs aluminum? it has slightly less grip than the MK2 2.4 but it's not a lot less. really acceptable given the weight savings. (this is for my race wheelset).

i really like this thing. looking forward to the next one for more thrashing, i mean, testing.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I went on a ride that's pretty rocky today. With loose over hard in the turns. When I ride this trail I put a bit more air in my tires so I do bang my rims. So I aired it up to the point it's almost firm when I squeeze it. (26psi on my pump) tire still gripped very well.

Got a suspension fork
    FWIW, the Forekaster 29x2.35 is on sale right now at Competitive Cyclist for just under $52. I just picked up (2) to give them a try. Going to put 1 on the rear of my SS and one on the front of my FS. Curious to see how they compare to my recollection of the Ardent, and my current front Nobby Nic.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tallboy 3 Forekaster logo.jpg 
Views:	1736 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	1080798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tallboy 3 Forekaster.jpg 
Views:	1993 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	1080799

Mine arrived yesterday and I installed it. It replaced a Minion DHF as my front tire, which was overkill (too heavy and slow) for my trails and riding.

Rear tire is an Ardent Race 2.35. I think this will be a good combo for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tallboy 3 ardent race.jpg 
Views:	1580 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	1080800

How do you like it paired with the AR 2.35? I'm eggar to try it as a rear tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    While waiting for the 2.35 AR in the states, I decided to put a Forekaster on the rear as well. With the rain we've been getting (Frederick MD) the it's been slick or very loose compared to last year. So my Ikon has been a bit skittish. I didn't notice much resistance compared to the Ikon on the trail. I was actually faster since traction on climbs and turns were a breeze.

mtbr member

Another trip on Forekasters - this time East loop in Cuyamaca State Park here in SoCal - trip had tons of climbing and lots of loose rock. These tires are simply amazing. There were times the only climbing lines were on loose off camber ruts and these tires stick like glue. Excellent tires!

Wanna ride bikes?
    this tire continues to impress me. I just did a 24 hour race this weekend on a really rocky/rough course with lots of loose over hard and this thing performed flawlessly. it grips like a more aggressive tire, and took a pounding under my 205 lbs for 94 miles and 8,600 ft of climbing without washing out or showing any signs of weakness. at 730 grams it's pretty impressive IMO.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I have this as a front tire on 4 bikes now and a rear tire on 2. It's becoming a favorite.

Was really surprised at the last race. There was a 2 mile paved section, and I was racing a singlespeed in a geared class. Due to big climbs, I had to gear down lower than normal. I was shocked that I was able to tuck and draft behind a geared rider on the road without him pulling away. Rolling resistance seems fairly low for how much grip these tires have.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I have this as a front tire on 4 bikes now and a rear tire on 2. It's becoming a favorite.

Was really surprised at the last race. There was a 2 mile paved section, and I was racing a singlespeed in a geared class. Due to big climbs, I had to gear down lower than normal. I was shocked that I was able to tuck and draft behind a geared rider on the road without him pulling away. Rolling resistance seems fairly low for how much grip these tires have.
    interesting. what do you think of it on the rear?

right now i have a Conti MK2 on the rear of my SS and love the grip over my old tire, but it's really a better front tire IMO. i'm starting to consider a Forekaster as the next one. faster rolling, lighter, and only slightly less grippy? i ride a lot of loose over hard, and wet roots/rocks.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

beater
    I'm curious about this tire after reading this thread. Last spring I rode a HR2 (f), Ikon 2.35 (r) combination and I thought that was a great combination of grip and speed until trails got dry and loose and I jumped to DHF/DHR2. It sounds as though the Forekaster might be a good alternative to the fat Ikon for summer conditions.

MTB B'dos
    I'm "patiently" waiting for our dealer to get in their next shipment which includes Forekasters and DHR2s, with intention of running Forekaster R/DHR2 F, but the shipment is delayed until middle of August last I checked Currently running Minion SS R/DHR2 Fand liking it alot, but we've had some rain, so surfaces aren't nearly as loose as they had been for over a year,so SS is doing pretty decent going DH, but I know once it dries out or if we get more regular rain, the Forekaster will prove to be a better tyre to deal with the loose over hard dry conditions or the wetter conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I'm curious about this tire after reading this thread. Last spring I rode a HR2 (f), Ikon 2.35 (r) combination and I thought that was a great combination of grip and speed until trails got dry and loose and I jumped to DHF/DHR2. It sounds as though the Forekaster might be a good alternative to the fat Ikon for summer conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Anyone heard if Maxxis is going to make the Forekaster in 27.5"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I heard they are. Fingers crossed.

First Ride: Maxxis Forekaster | BIKE Magazine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    interesting. what do you think of it on the rear?

right now i have a Conti MK2 on the rear of my SS and love the grip over my old tire, but it's really a better front tire IMO. i'm starting to consider a Forekaster as the next one. faster rolling, lighter, and only slightly less grippy? i ride a lot of loose over hard, and wet roots/rocks.
    It's hard to say for sure. I've had climbing traction issues with the tire in 2 races this year. The climbs were very steep with loose gravel / rock. In both races I was also geared lower than normal (32x20 vs 32x18). The climbs had tight switchbacks and were too steep to stay seated, so I was forced to climb out of the saddle. Riding out of the saddle with lower than normal gearing on loose terrain made it very difficult to regulate my power so I didn't spin. Unfortunately the trails aren't local, so I can't test different tires or gearing on those climbs to determine what the issue was. Other than those climbs during the races though, I've had no issues with the forekaster on the rear.

I have 180 miles on these tires on my primary bike now. They seem to be wearing faster than other Maxxis tires I've used, but they still have a lot of life left.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Picked up a set F/R to replace some 2.35 Ikons on some Ibis 941s.

For Austin trails (loose rocks, loose over hardpack, etc) these are ideal. I hadn't realized how much grip I was missing in the rear with the Ikons. These things just motor up damn near anything.

Only downside is that these things tend to kick up a ton of tiny rocks/roots...

mtbr member
    Maxxis employee here. Yes we are, 27.5x2.35 just landed and should be making its way out to distributors and shops over the next few weeks. 27.5x2.20 and 29x2.20 should be hitting the market shortly thereafter.

MTB B'dos
    Curious, have you guys managed to sort the casing issues you've been suffering? Guys down here are knocking casings out of whack with not hard impacts, or even removing them and then when they re-install casings are wobbly. Really a shame as Maxis is my go to brand and recommendation to others, so much so pretty much the entire MTB scene down here runs Maxxis rubber, even got the local distributor who usually only deals with motor vehicles to start bring in bike tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Maxxis employee here. Yes we are, 27.5x2.35 just landed and should be making its way out to distributors and shops over the next few weeks. 27.5x2.20 and 29x2.20 should be hitting the market shortly thereafter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Curious, have you guys managed to sort the casing issues you've been suffering? Guys down here are knocking casings out of whack with not hard impacts, or even removing them and then when they re-install casings are wobbly. Really a shame as Maxis is my go to brand and recommendation to others, so much so pretty much the entire MTB scene down here runs Maxxis rubber, even got the local distributor who usually only deals with motor vehicles to start bring in bike tyres.
    Is it an increase compared to the past? We havent noticed any trends towards an increased number of failures up here. DoubleDown tech is going to be available on a lot more tires over the next few months; it might be worth looking into a staggered setup with a DD rear tire and EXO front tire in order to allow a little extra rear support for impacts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Great news, thanks.
    What is the weight on the 27.5 x 2.35 and will this be available with the 3C?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Picked up a set F/R to replace some 2.35 Ikons on some Ibis 941s.

For Austin trails (loose rocks, loose over hardpack, etc) these are ideal. I hadn't realized how much grip I was missing in the rear with the Ikons. These things just motor up damn near anything.

Only downside is that these things tend to kick up a ton of tiny rocks/roots...
    How are they volume wise on the 941's compared to the Ikon 2.35? I'm very familiar with the Ikons and would like to try the Forekaster for more aggressive XC riding.

Wanna ride bikes?
    this doesn't answer your question exactly, but in the interest of posting a variety of info.

2.35 EXO Forekaster mounted tubeless on a 35mm external rim measures 58.5mm at the casing, and 59mm at the knobs.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

aka bOb
    Now I will beg/plead/grovel for a Forekaster in a 2.8/27.5.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    this doesn't answer your question exactly, but in the interest of posting a variety of info.

2.35 EXO Forekaster mounted tubeless on a 35mm external rim measures 58.5mm at the casing, and 59mm at the knobs.
    Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Great news, thanks.
    What is the weight on the 27.5 x 2.35 and will this be available with the 3C?
    690g for the 27.5x2.35 tire with EXO/TR construction. 3C is not available on the Forekaster at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Now I will beg/plead/grovel for a Forekaster in a 2.8/27.5.
    All the plus tires! For real though, we'll have the 27.5x2.80 High Roller II, Minion DHF, and Minion DHRII soon enough. Have you tried a Rekon+ yet? There's a good chance between the Rekon+ and the other new tires that you'll get the performance you need.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm really liking the Forekaster front with the Ardent Race 2.35 rear tire. My Tallboy 29er came with a DHF front and the AR 2.35 rear. I felt the DHF was too heavy and slow rolling for me, so I put the Forekaster on the front. It's interesting that they market the Forekaster as a wet conditions tire, because the only place it has lost traction was on a wet section of trail. It only briefly lost grip, though, and quickly hooked up again. The AR 2.35 has also been great -- it seems to roll pretty well and the only place I've lost grip was on some damp rocks. I've typically used Specialized Purgatory/Ground Control or Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires, but I think the Forekaster/AR is my new favorite combo.

mtbr member

So I admit I'm kind of a tire whore. I run 4.5 sets of 29er wheels usually between 3 bikes but currently 2 bikes as I'm probably going to build a lite rowdy hardtail.
    I've got the big DHF a DHR2 and they usually pair together. Then I've got a 2.4 Ardent and 2.35 Ikon, Nobby Nics 2.35TS and 2.25 DD, a Chupacabra and Racing Ralph's 2.35/ 2.25. I've mostly been running the Ardent and Ikon as we'll as the NN's then the Minions depending on the terrain. I think I'm going to add the Forekaster and then sell the Racing Ralph's. My thoughts are that the Forekaster can be a front tire with the Ikon or a rear tire with the Ardent and best served on sub 29mm IW wheels. The Ikon is also a fast rear tire with the big RR. My guess is the Forekaster rolls fast and has more grip than the big RR. The Forekaster also could be a rear tire with the DHR2. I might keep the 2.35 RR bit it's splitting hairs with the Ikon and Forekaster and the Maxxis tires are tougher no doubt in my mind of experiences. I've trashed a few Schwalbes but nary a Maxxis.
    Last edited by manitou2200; 08-06-2016 at 06:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I have a clearance issue on my new RIP 9 (O.D. of tire vs seat stay arch). Can anyone who has a Forekaster 2.35 mounted give me the measurement from the top of the rim (spoke nipple side) to the top of the center knob? Also if you could give me what rim you are using, I'll find your rim height if you don't know it........ thanks!

I know an Ikon 2.35 fits, just want make sure the Forekaster would:Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-ikon-2.35-clearance.jpg

mtbr member
    I ordered 2 FK from Competitive Cyclist and both were ~ 780 grams. I sent them back since my Bontrager XR4 only weighs 20 grams more.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I ordered 2 FK from Competitive Cyclist and both were ~ 780 grams. I sent them back since my Bontrager XR4 only weighs 20 grams more.

What size were they?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    What size were they?
    29x2.35

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    So I admit I'm kind of a tire whore. I run 4.5 sets of 29er wheels usually between 3 bikes but currently 2 bikes as I'm probably going to build a lite rowdy hardtail.
    I've got the big DHF a DHR2 and they usually pair together. Then I've got a 2.4 Ardent and 2.35 Ikon, Nobby Nics 2.35TS and 2.25 DD, a Chupacabra and Racing Ralph's 2.35/ 2.25. I've mostly been running the Ardent and Ikon as we'll as the NN's then the Minions depending on the terrain. I think I'm going to add the Forekaster and then sell the Racing Ralph's. My thoughts are that the Forekaster can be a front tire with the Ikon or a rear tire with the Ardent and best served on sub 29mm IW wheels. The Ikon is also a fast rear tire with the big RR. My guess is the Forekaster rolls fast and has more grip than the big RR. The Forekaster also could be a rear tire with the DHR2. I might keep the 2.35 RR bit it's splitting hairs with the Ikon and Forekaster and the Maxxis tires are tougher no doubt in my mind of experiences. I've trashed a few Schwalbes but nary a Maxxis.
    Running FKs front and back. Maintaining grip up steep 15 percent plus loose trails where my buddies are losing traction.

And right after I wrote that I decided to split the FKs up - wheelset 1: light trail / XC - Forekaster Fromt, Ikon 2.35 back. Wheelset 2: technical trail: HR 2 front, Forekaster rear.
    Last edited by SDMTB'er; 08-06-2016 at 09:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Running FKs front and back. Maintaining grip up steep 15 percent plus loose trails where my buddies are losing traction.

And right after I wrote that I decided to split the FKs up - wheelset 1: light trail / XC - Forekaster Fromt, Ikon 2.35 back. Wheelset 2: technical trail: HR 2 front, Forekaster rear.
    I almost never run the same front and rear tires. Sometimes I use the same tire but a smaller size rear. I'll probably add one Forekaster to my mix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I almost never run the same front and rear tires. Sometimes I use the same tire but a smaller size rear. I'll probably add one Forekaster to my mix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Me neither - but in this case it's a good combo in my neck of the woods.

aka bOb
    I use the same tire but a smaller size rear.
    I abandoned this train of thought a few years ago along with most of my friends and have seen no ill effect but only positives.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I abandoned this train of thought a few years ago along with most of my friends and have seen no ill effect but only positives.
    Good for you! With 29ers and traction, pushing them hard to the limit always breaks traction on the front tire first with same tires f&r. By running a smaller or slightly less aggressive rear tire this moves the break point more to the rear, so you can drift and maintain traction up front. It also helps to have a slightly quicker rolling rear tire to maintain higher speeds pedaling and climbing.
    I've played around with this for many years and the more aggressive front tire is a better match for more predictable handling, especially for 29ers. This is not my idea and I'm surly not the Lone Ranger on this concept.
    The only exception to this in my fleet is my 29+ bike but that bike doesn't get pushed nearly as hard as my trail bikes. I even run a larger front tire on my road bike 25c/f 23c/r.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Hey guys, I have a clearance issue on my new RIP 9 (O.D. of tire vs seat stay arch). Can anyone who has a Forekaster 2.35 mounted give me the measurement from the top of the rim (spoke nipple side) to the top of the center knob? Also if you could give me what rim you are using, I'll find your rim height if you don't know it........ thanks!
    Anyone with a set of calipers want to help a brother out?

Got a suspension fork
    I have a brand spanking new, not even ridden yet, Forekaster 2.35 mounted on a DT Swiss X1700 wheel; and a digital caliper. Happy to help.

You want the top of the rim to the top of the center knobbies? The distance between the two blue lines in the attached picture?

Name:  p3pb7486956.jpg
Views: 8739
Size:  17.4 KB
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Wanna ride bikes?
    "spoke nipple side" if i'm understanding that correctly, i don't think that's going to be very accurate as ERD is different on every rim.

I measured mine like the pic randyharris posted and got 52mm on the Forekaster. for comparison i checked two Conti Mtn King 2.4's (which run on the small side) and got 55.6 and 55.7mm.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I just need the center knob to the top of rim...... I know it isn't exact, but it's good enough. My rim is 20.5mm deep and once I know your rim, I can do the math real quick..... Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    I have a brand spanking new, not even ridden yet, Forekaster 2.35 mounted on a DT Swiss X1700 wheel; and a digital caliper. Happy to help
    Your rims are 20mm deep, so your measurement would basically be the same as mine would be.... Thanks in advance!

Attachment 1087703
    Last edited by D Bone; 08-12-2016 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

I know an Ikon 2.35 fits, just want make sure the Forekaster would:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ikon 2.35 Clearance.jpg 
Views:	1340 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	1086376
    If that Ikon is a 2.35 you will have plenty of room with the forekaster. Mine measures 2mm narrower and shorter than my Ikon 2.35 on the same rim. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this but the Maxxis Forekaster looks quite a bit like the Maxxis Aspen which is one of my faves in 29er size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
    If that Ikon is a 2.35 you will have plenty of room with the forekaster. Mine measures 2mm narrower and shorter than my Ikon 2.35 on the same rim. Hope that helps.
    That helps a ton..... THANKS!

Got a suspension fork
    On my DT Swiss X1700 rims the 29x2.35" Forecaster measures:

56.23mm tire width
    56.08mm from the top of the rim to the top of the center knobby
    73.47mm from bottom of rim to top of knobby

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast