Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    For what it's worth. I just mounted (2) 29x2.35 FKs on 30i dt rims and width is exactly 2.36 according to micrometer. I almost did not get these due to all posts about them running way small. I pumped them up to 45psi and let them sit overnight with stand. No air loss. Looking at them next to 2.4 ardent I can not tell a difference without micrometer. Very similar volume tire.

mtbr member
    After about 1000 hard miles, my Forekaster took a nasty sidewall gash that's unrepairable. With summer started, back to the 2.4 Ardent up front so the timing isn't bad.
    The last 150 miles the tire definitely wasn't biting and center knobs were almost gone.

I'll get another for the fall because it's so good in wet, mud but will be changing out sooner in the spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnboi View Post
    Looks like they are finally available. Just ordered one off backcountry.

Going to replace a 2.35 ikon out front on my xc wheel, now I just need to wait to kill my rear ikon to switch them out and the forecaster will get put out front.
    hi

Did you already switched to Forecaster front and Ikon back? I am thinking about the same combo Forecaster 235 front and Ikon 225 back. Going from ikon 225 on both and expecting more reliability in the corners during more wet weather that will come after summer.. Do you think will this work? Os should I rather put Ardent 240 into the front?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Is Forekaster front and Ardent Race at the back a good combination still?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is there any consensus how this compares to the Rekon? I have a 2.8 (2.67 actual) Rekon on the front, interested in a 2.6 Rekon or Forekaster for the rear of my '16 5010. Currently using a 2.4 Ardent, no complaints... just looking for more volume.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
    For dry trails, yes.

I ran that combo all summer and really liked it. Hardpack of course and loose over hard or any sort, and it worked fine. The only dry terrain where the FK struggled was on dry gum leaves coverig the trail - where most tyres will struggle as these are like bits of slippery plastic!

I'll be going back to that combo once winter is over here Down Under.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
    Yes, except if you have to deal with some wet off camber slabs, I've switched the front tire to an Ardent 2.4 but will return to the FK in the fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thank you for a great review.
    Please since the review posted, haven't you get any experiences how this tyre (front) works at wet and mud conditions?
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Just had my first ride with the Maxis FK 2.35. Here is a short review:

The rider:

5'10
    215 kitted
    Logging ~2,000 miles so far this year

Bike:

2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail, Large
    Fork: Fox Factory Float 34, 130mm @ 95psi with three air volume reducers (stock); rebound 4 clicks from full out (slowest)
    Shock: Fox Factory DPS 116mm set to "race" mode on the sag indicator; rebound 4 clicks from full out (slowest)
    Wheel size: 29"
    Wheel material: Light Bicycle carbon (I can't recall ID, but they aren't wide)
    Hubs: DTSwiss 240s; 28 spokes front and back
    Front tire: Maxxis Forekaster, 2.35 @ 22psi, tubeless
    Back Tire: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.20 @ 25psi, tubeless

Where I ride:

Mostly SoCal / San Diego / Greater San Diego Area (Hodges, Daley, PQ, Noble, Cuyamaca, La Costa, Calavera, San Juan, Black Mountain) etc.

Conditions can only currently be described as:

- Sand over hard pack
    - Deeper sand over hard pack
    - Rocks with sand and / or deeper sand over hard pack
    - Rocks

Today's ride was around Lake Hodges where I happen to live near one of the trailheads. I ride this trail a lot before work and know almost every rock, turn, etc. by heart. Conditions were super dry and blown out. Temperature was around 80 degrees with winds around 5-10mph from the west. Lake Hodges is considered easy MTB riding with occasional mildly technical features along the way. The route has lots of twisty single track and frequent off camber turns. Total distance ridden today was 19.6 miles.

Maxxis markets the Forekaster as a wet weather tire, but I think after today this tire has become my go to front tire for light trail / XC in SoCal where dry, dusty, and loose conditions prevail.

Cornering: This tire was exceptional for holding a line through corners even off camber. I found that I could even be a bit sloppy in my technique (i.e., leaning body with bike as I turn vs. moving bike beneath you) and the Forekaster did not flinch. I often ride a Minion DHF on this bike as a front tire and found the Forekaster to corner at least as well as the Minion DHF and certainly better than an Ardent 2.4 I recently used. 5 stars.

Rolling resistance: I could perceive no less rolling resistance than the Ardent 2.4 referenced above, and maybe a bit less resistance than a Minion DHF. Having the additional confidence with this tire allowed me to carry my speed through turns without that little "feather brake" I often do when I feel like I might just lose traction. The only tires that I have ridden that beat this tire's rolling resistance are a 2.35 Ikon, 2.20 Ardent Race and then of course Racing Ralph's. However, an Ikon or a Racing Ralph would not do well in these conditions unless you pay attention to each and every turn. The other day I tried Ikon 2.35s front and rear and liked the combo, but you had to really watch what you were doing with the front tire. 4 stars

Weight: This tire is surprisingly light - Maxxis says it is 735 grams and I think that feels about right. Definitely lighter feeling than a Minion DHF and felt this tire would be superb for 30-50 mile rides. I would put this on par with a Nobby Nic, but for whatever reason the Forekaster feels like it holds it's line better (shape of casing?) This weight, for it's confidence inspiring traction is very good so I am giving this 5 stars.

Off camber traction: Where most of the Maxxis line I am used to (Minion DHF, High Roller II, Ardent Race) sort of relies on those corner knobs for traction in off camber turns as well as the perfunctory erosion channels that pervade SoCal trails, the Forekaster seems to use the entire tire to achieve this. I didn't feel like I was hanging on to the last set of knobs before losing traction. Excellent traction and the longer the ride got the more confident I felt. 5 stars.

Deep sand: This is the one I was most curious about - you know those times when you see sand coming up that is 4-8 inches deep and you are always surprised by how your wheels move - where other tires often made moderately or even severe directional changes, the Forekaster tracked very nicely with only minor steering corrections. It was actually pretty cool and I never felt this kind of control through deep sand (yes, I know fat bikes can do it better blah blah). 5 stars.

Installation: Super easy with the Tubeless Ready - 5 stars.

In summary, if you are looking for a light-ish tire at 735 grams for dry, dusty, loose conditions like here in SoCal, I highly recommend this tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I've been running Bonty XR3 front and back and have liked the rear but have had the front wash out on me a couple times so I wanted to get something more meaty up front. I didn't want to make a huge jump in weight and RR going to a DHF and after researching this, and other threads, I put a FK 2.35 on the front. I rode Pisgah Forest (WNC) on Sunday and it did fine on damp soil but I damn near went down -not even close to pushing it- on loose over hard and it would have been ugly in the rocky section I was in. My confidence was shot after that because I was really taking it easy when it started to slide on me without warning.

Today I rode it all over Bent Creek and had the same exact experience on Greenslick where it started sliding on me and caught just in time for me to barely keep it on the trail. Again, on damp soil it did fine but I don't trust this as a front tire on anything else and am putting a DHF on front tomorrow before I hurt myself.

It's a bummer cuz so many guys in this thread love this tire and I love the weight but I just have no confidence to ride hard with this out front. It doesn't shock me though as occasionally I'll find the same in motocross where some tire that everyone seems to love doesn't do it for me. I'll probably try it on the rear and see if I like it any better than the XR3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    BTW- I ride a 29" and ran 26 psi on Sunday and 23 psi today. I weigh about 200 geared up and don't like to go much below the psi I ran today so I don't plan to experiment more with this up front. Bummer it's not a Specialized or I'd return it and get something different.

mtbr member
    I'm 210 geared up and I ride my 29x2.35 FK at 22 psi on the rear. I would drop it to 20-21psi before taking it off the front... With that said I ride a 29x2.5 DHF up front.

MCMXCV
    For what it's worth, I am back on the Forekaster bandwagon again. I 'downsized' from 31mm to 27mm rims and felt it was worth the risk that the narrower rim would help prevent the sidewall cuts I experienced on the 31mm rims but not the 23mm I ran before them.

3 rides and over 50 miles and so far not a single cut on the exact same trails that I always ride....... Fingers x'd and will update one way or the other.

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Red777 View Post
    BTW- I ride a 29" and ran 26 psi on Sunday and 23 psi today. I weigh about 200 geared up and don't like to go much below the psi I ran today so I don't plan to experiment more with this up front. Bummer it's not a Specialized or I'd return it and get something different.
    I had the same experience in NC in the same conditions. It was good over the winter but when things got dry I could really push out the front.

I put and aggressor up front paired with the forekaster rear and have been happy with that combo in Pisgah, DuPont and at home in central NC

MTB B'dos
    The FK in it's current configuration is definitely not so confidence inspiring in the wet, they need to do a 3C compound.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On back of my trail bike with 27mm id rims it's very good. A little bit of squirm on fast aggressive hardpack but that's to be expected with the tall-ish knobs. Excellent braking, rolls pretty fast, weigh was about 740grams. I forget.

But on the front of my short travel FS 29er it's not good on loose over hardpack and especially not on the aforementioned fast aggressive hardpack no matter the psi; rim ID is 24mm.

Probably a better front on deeper loamier or wet trails. I'll put on back of trail bike as we have lots of late-summer sand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just mounted a Forekaster on 27 rims--definitely not a 2.35 and barely a 2.25--I hope it stretches

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    At about 600 miles my 27.5 forekaster is nearly done.. the siping on the knobs is gone and when it went so did a good bit of grip. Overall it's an impressive tire, the grip and toughness are good period, and when the light weight is factored in it's really good..

I'm running a DHF 2.5 EXO DC up front, riding california desert and a couple trips to Vegas, so dry and rocky is normal. I punctured, patched, then sliced and killed an EXO DHF on the front while running the forekaster, I never shied away from anything (within my ability..) because of the light tire and it survived with no worries!

I've got a nobby nic and a DHR2 on hand, probably gonna run those two for the winter and get another forekaster next spring. It's a solid tire..

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    At about 650 miles my forekaster has died, a deep sidewall cut was the cause of death.. I've got a few other tires in the garage to try so I won't be on another forekaster for the short term, but when it's time to restock the tire pile another forekaster will be on the short list..

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm glad that those who weren't stoked with the Forekaster on the front seem happy with it on the rear. I've never completely lost the front with the Forekaster on my 6 rides so far but it has scared the crap out of me at least once each ride where it let go and then caught just in time. I have a brand new DHF dual that just arrived so it's going on front and the Forekaster will go on back. Hopefully it's at least not any worse than the very worn Bontrager XR3 that's been on the back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    What pressure are you all running?
    I just mounted forekasters 2.35 F / 2.2 R on apparently 19mm rims (A used set of Enve Twenty9 XC rims). I was running a 2.2 AR F / 2.2 Ikon R with 24psi F/25psi R. I weigh 180. The tires felt fine. I definitely felt a traction increase on the rear. I was running the same pressures as before, but the tires still felt really still and bouncy. I did slip out on a wet rock during a steep climb, I'm not sure if that is the tire or just because of the wet. I nervous to go down PSI because last time I ran 22psi I burped the front rolling over a bigger root.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    I just mounted forekasters 2.35 F / 2.2 R on apparently 19mm rims (A used set of Enve Twenty9 XC rims). I was running a 2.2 AR F / 2.2 Ikon R with 24psi F/25psi R. I weigh 180. The tires felt fine. I definitely felt a traction increase on the rear. I was running the same pressures as before, but the tires still felt really still and bouncy. I did slip out on a wet rock during a steep climb, I'm not sure if that is the tire or just because of the wet. I nervous to go down PSI because last time I ran 22psi I burped the front rolling over a bigger root.
    I run 22/25, tubeless. 29lb fs giant, crest wheels, 150lb rider, I ride slow and fun, no jumps, no double black trails. No issues with fk's front and rear in Phoenix for several hundred miles.

mtbr member
    After two rides I am really liking these tires. Mounted up a 2.35 x 29er on Front and Back. Live in New England right now it is semi wet with loose leaves and a little bit of snow with cold temps. Running 25-28 psi pressure.

They mount super easy probably the easiest tire to mount and air up I have ever dealt with!!!!

Was on Rocket Ron 2.25F and Ikon 2.2 rear for my dry trail summer tires.

The rear traction has improved dramatically this tire climbs great and feels like velcro sticking to the ground. So far the front has held very well on the wet roots and slick corners. Seems like a great tire for the wet winter and spring months.

They do not size up that big however. Giving this tire the "eyeball test" it seems like Forecaster 2.35 is same size as Rocket Ron 2.25. I don't have calipers but they look about the same.

Love it as a rear tire. Like it a lot on Front.

I usually like to ride a slightly bigger front tire than rear so I wish they made a 2.4 Forekaster or 2.5 Rocket Ron that would be a great combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    After two rides I am really liking these tires. Mounted up a 2.35 x 29er on Front and Back. Live in New England right now it is semi wet with loose leaves and a little bit of snow with cold temps. Running 25-28 psi pressure.

They mount super easy probably the easiest tire to mount and air up I have ever dealt with!!!!

Was on Rocket Ron 2.25F and Ikon 2.2 rear for my dry trail summer tires.

The rear traction has improved dramatically this tire climbs great and feels like velcro sticking to the ground. So far the front has held very well on the wet roots and slick corners. Seems like a great tire for the wet winter and spring months.

They do not size up that big however. Giving this tire the "eyeball test" it seems like Forecaster 2.35 is same size as Rocket Ron 2.25. I don't have calipers but they look about the same.

Love it as a rear tire. Like it a lot on Front.

I usually like to ride a slightly bigger front tire than rear so I wish they made a 2.4 Forekaster or 2.5 Rocket Ron that would be a great combo.
    29x2.6 is dropping very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You mean 29x2.6 Forekaster ? (Or Rocket Ron?)
    This would be great. How do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    29x2.6 is dropping very soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I run 17F and 19-20R in the winter. 160lbs rider. Forekaster 29x2.35 front and Ardent Race back. More XC terrains over winter. Very happy with this combo. EXO variants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallboy17 View Post
    You mean 29x2.6 Forekaster ? (Or Rocket Ron?)
    This would be great. How do you know?
    Forekaster
    Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_4751.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Maybe the 2.6" will measure out to an actual 2.35".

Still cool, even if I'm a negative Nancy.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If it is anything the the 27.5x2.6, it wont measure a full 2.6 wide, but the volume is going to be noticeably bigger than the 2.3 model.
    14 Aurum, 17 T130, 18 Djambo, 19 SJ Evo 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My Forekaster 29x2,35 looks visually like Ikon or Ardent 2,25.
    So I assume that 2,6 will look like 2,45. My guess is that they will introduce it in different compounds like they did in 27,5x2,6. 3C MAX SPEED would be my choice then for my riding.
    Defo great news, love my Forekaster due to excellent grip ( mud, lose and lose over hard) /weight ratio with relatively low rolling resistance and will try 29x2,6 as front tyre.

mtbr member
    Sign me up. When and where can I buy one. Just hoping the 2.6 fit's into the SID fork!

mtbr member
    I have HR2 2.8. The grip on these tyres is phenomenal. I ride in the wet and mud all the time and these just grip like nothing on earth, steep muddy, rocky technical climbs and descents are easy. However the drag is also phenomenal. So when the 2.6 Forekasters come out in the UK I'm going to try a set. Hoping they'll grip as well as the High Rollers but with a lot less drag

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    And lighter probalby too. But I tried to look what is the weight of yours HR 2,8 but there are no 2,8 size at Maxxis web pages
    High Roller II | Maxxis Tires USA

May I ask where did you get them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugtree View Post
    I have HR2 2.8. The grip on these tyres is phenomenal. I ride in the wet and mud all the time and these just grip like nothing on earth, steep muddy, rocky technical climbs and descents are easy. However the drag is also phenomenal. So when the 2.6 Forekasters come out in the UK I'm going to try a set. Hoping they'll grip as well as the High Rollers but with a lot less drag

mtbr member
    And lighter probalby too. But I tried to look what is the weight of yours HR 2,8 but there are no 2,8 size at Maxxis web pages

Hi. I hope so too. Be ace if they are the Goldilocks tyre. Yeap Maxxis don't have them on their website but you can buy then in the shops here in the UK.

For weights etc there is this thread

Maxxis Highroller 2.8

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm currently running Forekaster 2.6 in dual compond in the rear on my Thunderbolt.
    I think it's a bit slippy some times, would have liked it in 3C.
    I like the weight. I have a DHF in the front.

Im' mot riding fast or long enought, of for that matter, not being a specially skilled or brave rider, to have a comprehensive and detail opinion of em.

But.
    I think it climbes really well.
    The spin-out and crash rate on rooty and rocky climbes have gone down.
    If I spunout on my old DHR II I had to step of. In my experience, when the DHR II looses it's grip, it will come back in a well timed jerk and throw you off balance.
    Sometimes it feels like it "floats" on some typed of harder mud, dosen't cut through and find grip.

Had it on the front as well for awhile, and a couple of times with a skinny crossmark II in the rear. I thought that was fast.

When summer comes around I think I'll have the forekaster as a front tire again, and a rekon (or maybe a Ikon) in the rear, or go for the DHF / Recon combo.

I bought mine from hi5bikes.fi a finish bike shop.

mtbr member

Sorry meant to add this. This is the shop I got them from

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Langestrom View Post
    I'm currently running Forekaster 2.6 in dual compond in the rear on my Thunderbolt.

Im' mot riding fast or long enought, of for that matter, not being a specially skilled or brave rider, to have a comprehensive and detail opinion of em.

But.
    If I spunout on my old DHR II I had to step of. In my experience, when the DHR II looses it's grip, it will come back in a well timed jerk and throw you off balance.
    Sometimes it feels like it "floats" on some typed of harder mud, dosen't cut through and find grip.

Had it on the front as well for awhile, and a couple of times with a skinny crossmark II in the rear. I thought that was fast.

When summer comes around I think I'll have the forekaster as a front tire again, and a rekon (or maybe a Ikon) in the rear, or go for the DHF / Recon combo.

Good to hear your thoughts Langestrom. Mmmm more to think about

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I thought that Forekaster 29x2,6 is not on the market yet ans will arrive during 2018. You already have it?
    Or do you refer to 27,5x2,6? If yes,then it already exists in 3C Max Speed compound already according Maxxis web pages :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Langestrom View Post

But.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thank you!
    And now, lets wait for Forekaster 29x2,6 too:-)
    Sorry meant to add this. This is the shop I got them from

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/

mtbr member
    Thank you!
    And now, lets wait for Forekaster 29x2,6 too:-)
    Agree. We are getting the 650b 2.6s at the end of this month (hopefully). Hopefully the 29 won't be too far behind

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I thought that Forekaster 29x2,6 is not on the market yet ans will arrive during 2018. You already have it?
    Or do you refer to 27,5x2,6? If yes,then it already exists in 3C Max Speed compound already according Maxxis web pages :-)

Yes, it's the 27,5x2,6. Should have written that :P

aka bOb
    I have a set of low use 120 tpi 27.5 2.6 Forkasters if anyone is looking. Going back to 2.8's

Sold!!
    Last edited by bdundee; 01-11-2018 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have a set of low use 120 tpi 27.5 2.6 Forkasters if anyone is looking. Going back to 2.8's.
    Hi. Can I ask a question? Why are you going back to 2.8s (and which ones)? I ask as I want to move from 2.8 to 2.6 Forekasters as I'm finding my High Roller 2.8 too draggy for all day use.

Thanks

aka bOb
    Hi. Can I ask a question? Why are you going back to 2.8s (and which ones)? I ask as I want to move from 2.8 to 2.6 Forekasters as I'm finding my High Roller 2.8 too draggy for all day use.

Thanks
    Sure no problem, basically for the rocky rooty terrain I ride plus old bones I like the added small bump cush and traction of the 2.8's. Didn't really notice any extra playfulness or extra speed with the 2.6's so.....

Tires I have tried,

2.8 Rocket Rons ss, a good trail tire with more grip than what would be expected from a tire that was labeled as a race tire. They really do a good job, pretty light, fast and fairly tough but they sure like to squirm on landings so they had to go.

2.8 Nobby Nics ss, turds

2.8 DHF/Rekon 3c rear, great combo and one I should stick with but in some conditions the Rekon left me wanting a tad more traction. Great combo for park riding tho.

2.8 DHF/DHF, fairly fast and great in the park but a little heavy and overkill for all day trail riding.

2.8 DHF/DHR, the DHR in a 2.8 imho is way overkill and is a turd for trail riding. Great at it's intended purpose (DH) but still overkill.

I am going to try out a set of the new Bonty 2.8 XR4's. Hoping that's my unicorn for jumping the boundaries between all day trail rides and park jump lines.

p.s. they were either on a Ibis HD3 or a mojo 3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have a set of low use 120 tpi 27.5 2.6 Forkasters if anyone is looking. Going back to 2.8's

Sold!!
    Bought!!
    Initial ride report - coming from 2.8 DHF/DHR2 on a 2017 Norco Torrent HT with 35i rims.
    Doesn't look as cool. The small knobs and open tread, combined with the smaller casing, look pretty wimpy on a bike with room for 3" easy.
    On one super-slow, granny-low climb, I lost grip. Sometimes this happens with other tires, too, but I felt the DHR would have held on just fine.

Other than that:
    They roll really really fast. Part of that is being 200g lighter, but the tread definitely lends itself to going faster. I was a gear or two higher on the climbs, and spinning out on the DH and levels.
    I was concerned I'd be giving up edge grip for offcamber slippery stuff. No problem there.
    I also wondered how well it'd do leaning into flat turns; also no problem.
    As expected, they shed mud beautifully. The Minions do fine here too, but I'd give the nod to the Forekasters. The Rekons on my FS bike load up badly by comparison.

I'll probably wind up with the DHF on the front, saving the other Forekaster for a second rear.

Two reasons - looking burly (I know that's shallow, but I can admit it) and DH braking traction. Didn't get a chance to really put the FK through anything like that, but I've got to think a bigger contact would brake better.

Anyway - awesome tire, highly recommended. Be interesting to see what kind of tread life I get out of it.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just noticed this post. I just bought myself a mojo 3 and it currently has 2.8 rekon/dhf combo.. Did you find this combo felt noticeably slower than the rocket rons f/r ? I've been thinking about those apex RRs but will probably throw the bontys in the mix too. Also, I'm assuming the schwalbes feel more floaty/plush than the maxxis? I actually like a bit of that since I'm 50 now. Haven't had a chance to ride yet dealing with thus harsh east coast winter. Anyway, thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Just noticed this post. I just bought myself a mojo 3 and it currently has 2.8 rekon/dhf combo.
    I just put my DHF back on, FK on the rear. RK will load up with mud, maybe?

I really really like the FK in the wet/mud as compared to DHF/DHR2 and Rekon.

But the 3c Rekon gave me 500 mi without appreciable wear...
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent

loud hubs save lives
    Ordered my third FK.

Last winter i used them front and rear on my process 111. When extremely dry condition rolled around i started drifting the front so i replaced one with an Aggressor. When the rear wore out i tried double aggressors, but find them pretty draggy, so going back to Aggressor / FK combo

I really want to try 29 x 2.6 FK / Rekon combo on my hardtail when they’re both available

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anybody have the actual width (and maybe even height) of the 2.6 on i30 rims or thereabouts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by slipperyb View Post
    Anybody have the actual width (and maybe even height) of the 2.6 on i30 rims or thereabouts?
    I can get measurements tonight, I know that the widest I measured on freshly mounted (with tubes at the time) 27.5x2.6 FK on 30mm Turbine wheels was 2.48", I don't remember if it's the tread or casing that's wider. I set up tubeless and have a ride on them, so I can get better measurements now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by acedeuce802 View Post
    I can get measurements tonight, I know that the widest I measured on freshly mounted (with tubes at the time) 27.5x2.6 FK on 30mm Turbine wheels was 2.48", I don't remember if it's the tread or casing that's wider. I set up tubeless and have a ride on them, so I can get better measurements now.

Fantastic, looking forward to dims!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    As mentioned before, 27.5x2.6 FK, 30mm internal rim, 1 ride on it, and it's been mounted with pressure for about a month. Measurements taken on the stand, so no load, about about 15 psi air pressure. Tread width is 2.48", case width is 2.45", and diameter is about 28.25". The diameter was hard to measure, it may be a smidge more than 28.25", and that's tread to tread of a basically fresh tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by acedeuce802 View Post
    As mentioned before, 27.5x2.6 FK, 30mm internal rim, 1 ride on it, and it's been mounted with pressure for about a month. Measurements taken on the stand, so no load, about about 15 psi air pressure. Tread width is 2.48", case width is 2.45", and diameter is about 28.25". The diameter was hard to measure, it may be a smidge more than 28.25", and that's tread to tread of a basically fresh tire.
    Awesome, thanks for pulling those measurements.

Tappin' via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    I've run the Forecaster as a front paired with a Ikon out back here in FL and it works really well. Rolls faster than I expected, not noticeably slower than the Ikon. I've also run it as a rear with DHR up front in the mountains. As A rear I liked it better than the Ikon/Minion SS because it actually has some straight line braking ability. I give it a thumbs up.
    What sizes? What 650 or 29er? Thx...also in FL that''s the combo I'm thinking of...650b...forkaster Frt : 2.2 or 2.35??? back Ikon 2.2!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    What sizes? What 650 or 29er? Thx...also in FL that''s the combo I'm thinking of...650b...forkaster Frt : 2.2 or 2.35??? back Ikon 2.2!
    I would do 2.35 as it's already on an undersized casing. It may be as wide at the side knobs, but the casing is definitely narrower than the similar size ikon.

I'm running this combo right now too.

Some of my trails are similar to Florida, from what I've seen on videos at least. I would expect fk to be a great front there for something with less drag and lighter weight than the more aggressive trail line up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I would do 2.35 as it's already on an undersized casing. It may be as wide at the side knobs, but the casing is definitely narrower than the similar size ikon.

I'm running this combo right now too.

Some of my trails are similar to Florida, from what I've seen on videos at least. I would expect fk to be a great front there for something with less drag and lighter weight than the more aggressive trail line up.

SUPER Helpful, thank you!!!

MTB B'dos
    Honestly, I'd do FK F&R in the 2.35" size. As someone who owns and has ridden both the 2.35" Ikon and FK, I can tell you, to me, the difference in rolling speed is not that different, but the grip difference in soft sand etc is.

Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Anyone have a direct comparison between a DHR II or DHF and a 2.6 FK? I know you will loose some grip, but how much and how predictable? I tried the Rekon a while back and hated it. Now summer is approaching and I have the itch to try tires again.

The 1000g Minion DHF up front needs to shed some weight. Planning on a 2.4 DHR II WT or this new 2.6 forekaster. I have a 2.25 forekaster out back and have been happy with it so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I went from a 2.8 DHR to a 2.6FK on the rear. Definitely way faster pedaling, haven't had any drama with traction. This is on HT that I primarily ride in the slop. I also ran one up front, but went back to the DHF to primarily save the other RK for rear use (or front on my kids non-plus bikes).

I really like the Rekon, so my opinion may be suspect.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    I ran a 2.6 rekon all summer, then switched to the 2.6 Forekaster during the winter. The Rekon clogs up with mud easy, but the Forekaster sheds it real nice. Traction is good but I do find the tire will roll if pushed hard so I have to run it 24psi for aggressive riding and 26psi if I'm riding jumplines and need to corner hard. For regular trail riding the Rekon and Forekaster are both really good, with the Rekon rolling a bit faster and gripping a bit better in hardpack. I'd never run either as a front tire though, as the side knobs are too lacking.
    I'm switching to the new Aggressor 2.5 real soon and I'm hoping it fits in real nice between the DHF/DHR and the Rekon/Forekaster. I want to the stiffness and side knobs of the DHF, but the faster rolling of the Rekon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bit the bullet and bought a dual compound 60TPI 2.6 Forekaster. After 1 ride, I am impressed with the grip and predictability. No, it does not have meat shredding maxx grip DHF traction, but it is not bad at for a trail bike. It blows the 120TPI Rekon out of the water. The forecaster has MUCH better grip (same 20psi), and does not feel squirmy like the Rekon. Likely because of the stiffer sidewall in combination with the bigger lugs. For weight, I didn’t really expect to notice the reduction (170grams), but I did instantly. Compared to the heavy 1020g DHF, I gained that quick nimble feeling and didn’t feel like I was riding a tractor tire.

All in all…for those that are looking to ditch their Minion for a lighter option, I’d definitely recommend the 60TPI dual compound forekasters over the Minions. Still not sure about the 120TPI 3C maxx speed option due to my bad rekon experience. My new base setup will be a forekasters front and rear (2.6 front and 2.35 rear) on 32mm carbon rims. Definitely an underrated all around good tire.

mtbr member
    I recently removed my 2.6 Forekaster and put on a 2.5 Aggressor. The Forekaster sheds mud much better and served me well over the winter, but now that the more aggressive higher elevation trails are starting to open up I needed a tad more traction and sidewall support. The aggressor is a heavier tire, but has nice big side knobs and rolls much faster than a Minion. I think it fits perfectly between the Rekon/Forekaster and the Minion tires.
    late summer when it gets dry and dusty I'll most likely switch back to the Rekon since it rolls real fast and the small knobs hoop up well in the loose over hardpack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Good to know. The 2.5 WT (non double down) tire is 915 grams, so not quite as hefty as the 1000g 2.5 WT Minion DHF. The other option in that range is the 2.4 DHR II WT which comes in at 900 gram.

For what its worth...my 60TPI dual compound 2.6 Forekaster weighed 850 grams. 30 grams more than the reported 820 grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Using a DHF Front at 2.3 and Ikon 2.2 rear. Very effective!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. I love the 2.35 FK on my XC bike as front and rear.

Thinking of trying the 2.6 version on my Pivot Les SS hoping they fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jlbanta View Post
    I bit the bullet and bought a dual compound 60TPI 2.6 Forekaster. After 1 ride, I am impressed with the grip and predictability. No, it does not have meat shredding maxx grip DHF traction, but it is not bad at for a trail bike. It blows the 120TPI Rekon out of the water. The forecaster has MUCH better grip (same 20psi), and does not feel squirmy like the Rekon. Likely because of the stiffer sidewall in combination with the bigger lugs. For weight, I didn’t really expect to notice the reduction (170grams), but I did instantly. Compared to the heavy 1020g DHF, I gained that quick nimble feeling and didn’t feel like I was riding a tractor tire.

All in all…for those that are looking to ditch their Minion for a lighter option, I’d definitely recommend the 60TPI dual compound forekasters over the Minions. Still not sure about the 120TPI 3C maxx speed option due to my bad rekon experience. My new base setup will be a forekasters front and rear (2.6 front and 2.35 rear) on 32mm carbon rims. Definitely an underrated all around good tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I am running these in 2.6 wide on 35mm internal width rims. they weigh about 800 grams in 3C version. I was running minions but they felt very slow and heavy in 2.6. I run 2.35 wide minions on my other bikes and love them. That being said I really like the forekaster in this size. Excellent grip and very smooth transition to side knobs and rolling resistence is very good. I have not tried these in wet conditions but so far I think they are a great tire in east coast loamy, rocky and rooty conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Has anyone seen an update on a 29x2.6 Forekaster release date?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Holed a sidewall on my rear 27.5x2.6 120tpi yesterday. Was tearassing around and landed a little sloppily into some rocks. 18psi on 35i rims on a hardtail.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymonks View Post
    Waiting for this...

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymonks View Post
    They're out. 3C and dual compound - stated weight of 780g but sounds like most are just-shy of 800g.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Did they update the 29x2.35 to be WT? Latest version TB96733100

https://shop.maxxis.com/c/bicycle_mo...irected_post=1

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345