Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    Anyone had a chance to put a 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster and the scales and see how much they come in at? Looking to drop some weight off my bike and these like a nice compromise.
    27.5 x 2.35.
    Was hoping mine would stretch, but it is not budging after 150 KM and leaving it inflated at 40 psi for a few days a couple of times. Its tiny at 2.25" and low volume.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_9199_1.jpg  

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    27.5 x 2.35.
    Was hoping mine would stretch, but it is not budging after 150 KM and leaving it inflated at 40 psi for a few days a couple of times. Its tiny at 2.25" and low volume.
    Ignitor style sizing on that one, by the sounds....
    Less isn't MOAR

Just A Mountain Biker.
    So unfortunate, knocks it off my list. I want volume first and foremost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

MTB B'dos
    On what size rim? My 29"x2.35" @ 22 PSI measures out to 58.5mm at casing, which when converted is 2.3" which is good for me at that pressure when stated pressure is min 35 PSI, on an i29mm rim.

Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    27.5 x 2.35.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    On what size rim? My 29"x2.35" @ 22 PSI measures out to 58.5mm at casing, which when converted is 2.3" which is good for me at that pressure when stated pressure is min 35 PSI, on an i29mm rim.
    Yeah I agree. Mine is mounted on a 30mm Arc 30, and while I don't have calipers, it fits right in between a 2.25 Nobby Nic and a 2.4 DHR II, both on 30mm rims. So 2.3 is about right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Yeah I agree. Mine is mounted on a 30mm Arc 30, and while I don't have calipers, it fits right in between a 2.25 Nobby Nic and a 2.4 DHR II, both on 30mm rims. So 2.3 is about right.

Mine measures 2.3 on i30mm wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Purdue22 View Post
    Just FYI to anyone interested in running this as a rear tire. I'm 200#s on a 2016 SW Camber 29 with 30mm ID rims. I'm running the 2.35" FK at 21 psi in the rear with a 2.5" Minon DHF in the front at 19 psi. Much better rolling resistance than the other Minon I had on the back and significantly better traction than the 2.4" Ardent I was running before the Minon. So long as this tire holds up I plan to keep this setup going all winter and perhaps into the spring/summer.

NOTE: For those who commented on the treads feeling like they were rolling underneath themselves (not tire squirm due to low pressure but something different going on) I felt this too in my initial rides. I had this issue when I was at 24 psi but since I have now lowered to 21 psi and the FK is behaving great and there have been absolutely no rim strikes (could probably go lower in psi but as of now I have no need to do so).
    FYI - Less than 100 miles on my Forekaster rear tire and I just got a puncture in between the treads like others here have reported (very small but I lose about 1-2 psi a day and I can see the sealant trying to work). Stans is having a hard time keeping it sealed so I am about to put a plug in it. I love the tires low rolling resistance, weight, and grip but perhaps for my riding here (Marin) the tire just isn't strong enough for the sharp rocks. Always a balance of weight versus strength (and perhaps luck). I will continue to run it as long as I can since there is tons of tread left and will update if there are any other failures.

mtbr member
    Here's the FK vs XR4...

By my scientific tape measure the FK on a 25.5 ID rim measures out at 58mm (2.28 inches)...

For the record the XR4 on the same rim measures out at 59mm (2.32 inches)

Both tyres are undersized according to their specs...

But, I like them both.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am looking at the 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster for the front wheel of a knolly endorphin build I am currently doing for my wife. I think the combination of grip, weight, rolling resistance have me convinced for a front tire.

What do you think is good to pair with it in the back? I would want something that rolls a bit better, doesn't wash while cornering, and still has solid braking/climbing traction, and has a similar weight.

I was thinking either the 2.35 AR, minion SS....or? Recommendations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I recommend the 2.25 FK rear (which is what I'm using, with a 2.35 fk up front). For me the combo seems to hit a sweet spot in the compromise of grip, weight, and rolling resistance for the majority of the riding I do. Rolling resistance might be slightly better with an AR out back, but I'll take the extra grip and lower weight of the FK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    I recommend the 2.25 FK rear.
    I'm just a bit worried about the lack of volume the 2.20 FK may show, especially because reports of the 2.35 are that its narrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    They do run slightly narrow, but coming from a 2.35 xr3 out back I notice only the weight loss and lower rolling resistance. No loss in climbing grip (fk might even be better) and slight, if any, loss in cornering grip. And when the back does get loose, it's way more predictable than the xr3 was.

mtbr member
    Unless your wife is railing corners I think you are going to be fine whatever you choose. I am running an FK in the rear now (with durability still in question from an early hole on the tread side) with a DHF (2.5x29) up front; however, when the weather gets a bit better I will be replacing the FK with a Minon SS...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    She's a ripper and the terrain is demanding in Pisgah so I don't want to put her at a disadvantage. I know something like a tomahawk would not cut it but I'm curious if something like a minion SS would roll better in the back. But if the FK actually rolls well maybe id go 2.35 F and R.

It's hard to make legit suggestions for her because I run magic Mary F and aggressor R but that would be too much meat.

MTB B'dos
    If you've got dry or loose over hardpack, then I'd definitely skip the Minion SS, no braking traction in those conditions. I'd more put the Ardent Race or another 2.35" Forekaster on the back to pair with the front. Going from your description though, I'd be very tempted to put her on the same combo I run, which is Forekaster 2.35" rear/DHF 2.3" or DHR2 (lighter than the DHF, not as ultimate a front, but really good) in front, if you do that I think you'll quickly find her riding improves due to confidence in that combo. Forekaster is a damn fast rolling tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    She's a ripper and the terrain is demanding in Pisgah so I don't want to put her at a disadvantage. I know something like a tomahawk would not cut it but I'm curious if something like a minion SS would roll better in the back. But if the FK actually rolls well maybe id go 2.35 F and R.

It's hard to make legit suggestions for her because I run magic Mary F and aggressor R but that would be too much meat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Forekaster 2.35" rear/DHF 2.3" or DHR2 (lighter than the DHF, not as ultimate a front, but really good) in front, .
    Thanks for the advice Lynx. Tires are somewhere where I certainly agonize before purchasing, it can be frustrating. It gets amplified a bit for her bike because she doesn't weigh much (110lbs) so I find tires are something that can really help transform the bike and make the ride feel light. She also doesn't place as much abuse on sidewalls due to this but still needs the grip that the knobs provide.

My goal has been to find 650g tires for her that provide the characteristics described earlier. I know the cornering knobs are most robust on the DHF/DHR II and for my bike a tire like that is a no brainer but I'm debating if the additional 100+g penalty will pay off in performance gain on her bike.

Her previous tire set up was a Geax (vittoria) goma F and nobby nic R....which is pretty comparable to a DHF F and FK R.

MTB B'dos
    Well then, if that's the case, I'd go with either another FK 2.35" rear or the Ardent Race 2.35" rear. No clue what that weight is like, weighed that when I was like 10 years old but the DHR2 in DC EXO/TR is 800g for the 2.3" 3C is 805g and the FK 2.3" really does roll very fast (better than a NN IMH), so I still say try that combo for her DHR2 r/FK r. Going with the DC over the 3C will definitely help "speed up" any Maxxis tyres rolling resistance, so despite the small weight difference between the 2, they can roll vastly different.

Thanks for the advice Lynx. Tires are somewhere where I certainly agonize before purchasing, it can be frustrating. It gets amplified a bit for her bike because she doesn't weigh much (110lbs) so I find tires are something that can really help transform the bike and make the ride feel light. She also doesn't place as much abuse on sidewalls due to this but still needs the grip that the knobs provide.

My goal has been to find 650g tires for her that provide the characteristics described earlier. I know the cornering knobs are most robust on the DHF/DHR II and for my bike a tire like that is a no brainer but I'm debating if the additional 100+g penalty will pay off in performance gain on her bike.

Her previous tire set up was a Geax (vittoria) goma F and nobby nic R....which is pretty comparable to a DHF F and FK R.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What about the rocket ron? Ive been having good luck with that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    300 mile update: Ran the 2.35 x 29 Forekaster on the rear of my Rip 9. Immediately loved the grip in wet/damp conditions and bite on punchy climbs. But what bothered me was the rolling resistance, in most cases I was losing (1 mph avg) on the flats. Going downhill, the resistance was needed, braking is excellent, tracks well.

Getting the tire pressure right is what eventually make me love this tire more. Once I dialed in the PSI, it was about as fast as my Ignitor (spring rear tire).

After hearing more people running the Forekaster up front, I swapped the FK with a 2.35 Ignitor rear. This setup is amazing! Less on-off feeling with the 2.4 Ardent, the FK rolls fast, cuts without hesitation. While it doesnt have that volume, its not the end of the world and more confidence than the 2.4 Ardent. Looks like the FK stays up front till the end of spring then decide if I move back to the Ardent or something else.

But next fall/spring, will definitely be running FK front and back.

Imma run my 2.35 FK out the back come winter, with a Shorty up the front.
    Less isn't MOAR

Interestingly, today I hit a wet patch on a smooth section of fire road, from water leaking from the nearby water race. On a moderate left hand bend the Forekaster I have on the front went right out from under me and almost sent me over. Same thing on the way back later on. Maybe an inch of mud over the surface.

Will definitely be running a Shorty up front come winter....

Liking the FK in the otherwise dry conditions though.
    Less isn't MOAR

MTB B'dos
    Remember, that while it's a really good tyre, especially in wet, it is only a Dual Compound version, not 3C, so you're not going to get that extra grip the 3C compound provides. Personally I'm waiting for them to announce it available in Double Down casing and 3C compound sometime later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Interestingly, today I hit a wet patch on a smooth section of fire road, from water leaking from the nearby water race. On a moderate left hand bend the Forekaster I have on the front went right out from under me and almost sent me over. Same thing on the way back later on. Maybe an inch of mud over the surface.

Will definitely be running a Shorty up front come winter....

Liking the FK in the otherwise dry conditions though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    She's a ripper and the terrain is demanding in Pisgah...
    My experience running the Forekaster in Pisgah is that it does OK, it's better than the Ardent but I would want something meatier, especially right now.

I was surprised at how well it grips on wet, rootier trails (e.g. Sycamore, Cove Creek) and on the climbs. It rolls really fast, I'd put it close to the Ardent in rolling. The traction in places like DuPont is pretty good when it's wet.

Where you start to lose is when the trail turns rocky and/or muddy. I ended up taking mine off because it was just too risky on trails like Daniel's Ridge or Spencer Gap, where the rocks get wet and traction becomes harder to find. Muddier trails like the left side of Daniel's was even worse, I had no braking traction in the rear at all.

Of all places, I actually lost the rear end on Jim Branch due to a small wet spot on the trail, which was the end of it for me. A spot that small shouldn't cause me to even remotely lose traction, especially in a place like Pisgah where the terrain can be so unforgiving of even small mistakes. It just doesn't handle it well enough for me to have confidence in it.

Braking traction was pretty good, cornering traction was OK. Compliance was good, it didn't feel super stiff or firm like Minions do.

I'd consider myself in the intermediate category (comfortably handle Middle Black, Daniel's Ridge both directions, Cedar/Burnt, etc; Farlow/Pilot are out of reach) in terms of bike handling, if that gives you a point of reference for skill wise. I was running it on a 5010v2 on 27mm internal rims.

I went back to HRII 2.4 3C F and HRII 2.3 3C R. It's draggy on the climbs, but I'm not racing and I'd rather have confidence in my tires going down some of the trails there. When summer rolls around, I may consider going back to the Forekaster or a Nobby Nic. My desire / care about rolling resistance diminishes every time I see the side of a mountain in Pisgah and think what it would be like tumbling down in. My advice would be to favor control over anything else, especially there and especially while it's wet.

A 3C version, I expect, would do considerably better

Remember, that while it's a really good tyre, especially in wet, it is only a Dual Compound version, not 3C, so you're not going to get that extra grip the 3C compound provides. Personally I'm waiting for them to announce it available in Double Down casing and 3C compound sometime later this year.
    TBH I think it was the tread design and depth really. And the rounder profile. Just not enough to dig through, rather than float on the soft mud and get put offline.

Come winter I'll try a Shorty on the front and put the FK on the back.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    My experience running the Forekaster in Pisgah is that it does OK, it's better than the Ardent but I would want something meatier, especially right now.
    Thanks for the firsthand review for the same trails we ride. This has me thinking to go with a trailstar 2.35 nobby nic out front, still undecided on the rear. That should still be about 100g lighter than the Goma she was running previously. We ride it all in Pisgah, and Im lucky that the more technical the better for her so I should probably heir on the side of reliable traction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the firsthand review for the same trails we ride. This has me thinking to go with a trailstar 2.35 nobby nic out front, still undecided on the rear. That should still be about 100g lighter than the Goma she was running previously. We ride it all in Pisgah, and Im lucky that the more technical the better for her so I should probably heir on the side of reliable traction.
    Maybe another NN in the back? PaceStar maybe?

I feel like losing traction in the rear can be just as bad as the front, especially up there and especially if she's pinning it down some of the technical trails. It really sucks lugging a heavy, slow rolling tire up those trails, but I think it rewards you in control when it gets nasty. Some of the technical climbs, it really helps to have a grippier tire too, especially in the back, and no one is going particularly fast anyway, so it's better to have a tire that can grip and not spin out.

Frankly, I've yet to find a tire for WNC that I feel like covers all the bases for the rear. When I run a 2.3 HRII 3C, I feel like it's a lead weight dragging me back the whole way, but I'm grateful for it when I blast through a wet spot or need the traction in Pisgah. In DuPont, I feel like it's too much tire and I suffer on the climbs and have to pedal a lot more on the descents, but that said, I can really push it into corners and not worry about wet spots or loose corners.

mtbr member
    I am looking at the 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster for the front wheel of a knolly endorphin build I am currently doing for my wife. I think the combination of grip, weight, rolling resistance have me convinced for a front tire.

What do you think is good to pair with it in the back? I would want something that rolls a bit better, doesn't wash while cornering, and still has solid braking/climbing traction, and has a similar weight.

I was thinking either the 2.35 AR, minion SS....or? Recommendations?
    How about a Magic Mary front, Hans Damf pacestar rear?
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    How about a Magic Mary front, Hans Damf pacestar rear?
    Just too much beef for her. I run a magic mary front and wouldn't do that to my wife. I also think the hans dampf is a poor choice for a rear tire having personally run it myself in the past. The most tire I'd go up front for her would be a minion DHF but I'd like something lighter than 800'ish grams that it comes in at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    Maybe another NN in the back? PaceStar maybe?

Frankly, I've yet to find a tire for WNC that I feel like covers all the bases for the rear.
    Yea maybe the 2.25 pacestar NN in the rear.

You should look into the DHR II or the aggressor for the rear. I currently run the aggressor and it checks off most of the boxes as a pretty good all around rear tire for Pisgah conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    While I've had no problems at DuPont and Pisgah with the forekasters, 75% of my riding is on more xc type trails closer to where I live (North GA) and if the majority of my riding was at pisgah and dupont, I think I'd mount my 2.4 High roller back up front and use my 2.35 forekaster out back. Though I'd also probably want more bike than my 120mm travel Fuel ex 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yea maybe the 2.25 pacestar NN in the rear.

You should look into the DHR II or the aggressor for the rear. I currently run the aggressor and it checks off most of the boxes as a pretty good all around rear tire for Pisgah conditions.

My wife is also 110lbs and rides aggressive trails. We have found casing suppleness and low tire pressure to be key for good grip in addition to compound and tread pattern.
    She runs a Hans D 2.35 trail upfront and a NN 2.25 pace outback when traction is needed switches to a Rock razor out back for dryer trails. She runs 15-17 psi upfront and 18-20psi rear. I would think the DHF and the Gomas, which I like at 170lbs, are way to stiff a casing for my wife.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Anyone tried the forekasters on dry summer conditions? Wonder how they will fare since they are optimized for wet conditions. I'm currently on the nobby nics and considering switching over.

mtbr member
    Not super dry but it's okay. Its durability is just like the NN in my opinion, not great... I'm moving to a minion dhf SS back for the summer with a trusty 2.5 DHF front.

mtbr member
    I run the Forekaster in Colorado which has very dry conditions most of the time. Most lower elevation trails are actually dusty right now in February and the Forekaster handles excellent, much better than the Ardent in my opinion. I know they were supposedly designed for mud but we don't ride when it is muddy here.

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
    Anyone tried the forekasters on dry summer conditions? Wonder how they will fare since they are optimized for wet conditions. I'm currently on the nobby nics and considering switching over.
    Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thoughts on running HR II 2.3 front, Forekaster 2.35 (more like 2.2) rear for dry conditions with a lot of dust and loose over hardpack?
    I have no doubts of the High Roller, but I'm feeling like it's too much tire for me.
    How does it compare to the Forekaster as front tire? Could it be just fine to run the Forekaster front and something faster on the rear?

Got a suspension fork
    Love it myself, running it usually very dry conditions in Arizona.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    I run the Forekaster in Colorado which has very dry conditions most of the time. Most lower elevation trails are actually dusty right now in February and the Forekaster handles excellent, much better than the Ardent in my opinion. I know they were supposedly designed for mud but we don't ride when it is muddy here.
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Love it myself, running it usually very dry conditions in Arizona.
    Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a pair and can't wait to ride on them.

MTB B'dos
    Pressure is key, especially with the Forekaster, too high and you will roll fast and get fairly decent grip, but on off camber it'll slip out, too low and excellent traction, but roll a bit slow, possible pinch flat. When I say too high or too low we're talking 1-2 PSI either way. Right now not hammering anything with it being fairly dry, I weigh about 180lbs geared to ride and run 24 PSI in the rear on my FK on an i25 rim, FS 105/130 bike.
    Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a pair and can't wait to ride on them.

MCMXCV
    Pressure is key, especially with the Forekaster, too high and you will roll fast and get fairly decent grip, but on off camber it'll slip out, too low and excellent traction, but roll a bit slow, possible pinch flat. When I say too high or too low we're talking 1-2 PSI either way. Right now not hammering anything with it being fairly dry, I weigh about 180lbs geared to ride and run 24 PSI in the rear on my FK on an i25 rim, FS 105/130 bike.
    Fore sure. I'm 220lbs all geared up and I go with 26/29psi with my 29x2.35s on 29mm Flow MK3s. I'm far, far away from the 'lowest psi is bestest psi' group that seems to be running rampant these days, and have never had a rim strike in my rock SoCal high desert terrain.

I agree that 2-3 psi can make a big difference, and it took me several rides to settle on my psi.

mtbr member
    I'm 240 ready to ride & I'm at 28/29 psi out back...

I may drop a couple more as I've moved to an AM HT. Big cushy tires are going to be a must >.<

MCMXCV
    Sold
    Last edited by D Bone; 02-23-2017 at 11:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I have a 'like new' Forekaster (29x2.35) for sale in the classifieds for a great price.....
    Change your mind about the fk? Care to talk about it?

I just put mine back on, the rear, 2.35, replaced a moderately worn ardent 2.25, got the dhr2 2.3 up front and going to keep that there for a while.

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcap View Post
    Change your mind about the fk? Care to talk about it?

I just put mine back on, the rear, 2.35, replaced a moderately worn ardent 2.25, got the dhr2 2.3 up front and going to keep that there for a while.
    Yea, once I went to a 30mm ID rim, the sidewalls started to take a serious beating in my rocky terrain.... They never failed, but I don't really know how they didn't as some of the cuts were very deep. They were perfect on my 23mm rims, and I never had a single cut in over 600 miles on the exact same trails.

I found a great price on a pair of Schwalbe Nobby Nics Snakeskin/PaceStar 2.35s and am running those right now.... Kind of like a Forekaster or Ground Control, but only on a massive amount of steroids.

Still love the Forekasters, but just not on my I9 Enduro 30.5mm rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I just got a pair of 27.5 x 2.35 Forekasters.
    First thing I noticed. They seem to be of the same width or slightly narrower than the 2.25 Nobby Nics I had previously.

Got a suspension fork
    First thing I noticed. They seem to be of the same width or slightly narrower than the 2.25 Nobby Nics I had previously.
    They are actually 2.20" on my digital scale, not a big volume air tire, but don't let it dissuade you - they ride really well.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We think they will stretch a bit after being mounted.

Mine measures ~2.3 across the knobs, ~2.25 casing, at 25 psi, 21mm internal crest wheels, chinese dial calipers, after about a month being on.

Having a nice day!
    Yep, my Forekasters definitely stretched as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone get their hands on the 2.6 Forekaster? What does it measure?

Curious if I can get these to clear on a non-Plus bike.

mtbr member
    Unless you have a dedicated XC whip, a 2.6 anything is going to fit. Especially any undersized Maxxis tire.

2.6 Forekaster?

There's a 2.6 Forekaster?

Got a couple of months on my 27.5x2.35 FK front, 2.2 AR rear combo. Happy enough. The only places the FK has let go suddenly, is on some fine mud and hitting dry gumleaves sheeted across the trail. These being like bits of thin plastic and super slippery.

Have cut the AR sidewall once on the point of a busted stick. FK holding up fine. Both wearing very well. EXO versions running TL on 30i Roval rims on my Stumpy FSR.

The FK at times just needs that extra conscious effort on the inside hand on turns to get the edging knobs over, unlike square tyres like the HR etc, where those edge teeth are there almost all the time.

Will try FK on the rear over winter, with a 2.3 Shorty up front. Can't wait to try that one!
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Finally got a real ride on my forekaster. On the back of a 130/140mm trail bike, replaced a 2.4 dhr2. It's a solid tire, not quite dhr2 level of traction but completely rideable and it rolls noticeably easier. Needs 2-3 extra psi compared to the dhr. I was able to quickly forget about it, that's high praise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    To anyone who has run specifically a DHF 2.3 and Forekaster 2.35 rear: any oddness about the larger size tire out back? If I'm 100% set on a 2.3 front would I be better off with the 2.2 forekaster in the rear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Still got my Forekaster unmounted, haven't figured out its best use yet. My ROS SS is running and Ardent 2.4 front, Ikon 2.35 rear, been thinking as well about an Ardent Race 2.35, but not sure about the F/R configuration.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Maybe this will help for sizing questions, on a 25.5mm internal width flow rim the forekaster is 57mm wide. It stretched about 2mm after a 2 hour ride on rocky trails. A 2.4 dhr2 on the same rim is 60.5mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickd111 View Post
    To anyone who has run specifically a DHF 2.3 and Forekaster 2.35 rear: any oddness about the larger size tire out back? If I'm 100% set on a 2.3 front would I be better off with the 2.2 forekaster in the rear?
    The FK runs small so it's not strange looking. The FK 2.35 measures about 2.25-2.3 once it stretches a little. This is on i30mm wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Still got my Forekaster unmounted, haven't figured out its best use yet. My ROS SS is running and Ardent 2.4 front, Ikon 2.35 rear, been thinking as well about an Ardent Race 2.35, but not sure about the F/R configuration.
    Forekaster front and ardent race rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Forekaster front and ardent race rear?

I bought those two tires for a fast rolling set, I just can't bring myself to pull my dhf off the front though. Loving the endless grip on my crappy, sandy, rocky trails. Whenever I try that set I'll post a quick review.

MTB B'dos
    Nope, none at all, 2.35" FK looks a bit smaller because the knobs are no where the size of the DHF, but it's a great combo, really love it, and if you do measure them you'll find out that they measure out the same 57mm casing - they use the same carcass/casing AFAIK. Just waiting for them to release the 3C Maxx *** option to try FK F&R, also waiting for the 29x2.6" option.

Quote Originally Posted by nickd111 View Post

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Awesome! Thanks for the replies!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nope, none at all, 2.35" FK looks a bit smaller because the knobs are no where the size of the DHF, but it's a great combo, really love it, and if you do measure them you'll find out that they measure out the same 57mm casing - they use the same carcass/casing AFAIK. Just waiting for them to release the 3C Maxx *** option to try FK F&R, also waiting for the 29x2.6" option.
    Is maxxis coming out with the 3C on the Forekaster? It is out now, as I saw a Scott Spark Ultimate running F/R 29 x 2.35 FK which had 3C, but I am guessing this OEM only right now.

mtbr member
    I picked up a Forekaster 27.5x2.6 last week (from Maxxis). I went with the 60tpi model since I wanted to run it in the rear. I'm running 38mm ID rims and the tire measured out to 2.46 wide at the knobs. On the same rim a Rekon+ 2.8 measures 2.66 at the knobs and the Ardent 2.4 was 2.34 at the knobs. Height wise the Forekaster 2.6 was just over 28", about a 1/4" bigger than the Ardent 2.4, and a 1/4" smaller than the Rekon+ 2.8.

As far as performance it rolls slower than the Ardent 2.4, but Sheds mud real nice and I was able to corner real hard with confidence. I dropped the tire down to 14psi and the sidewalls started to roll, but up around 18psi it felt rock solid. So far it is a nice match for my DHF 2.5WT up front.
    14 Aurum, 17 T130, 18 Djambo, 19 SJ Evo 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How does it compare to the rekon in rolling resistance and cornering grip?

CFH
    mtbr member
    Is anyone having issues with the 2.35 on a wider rim? Like a 29mm ID... I would be using this as a front tire.

mtbr member
    I have a Rekon 2.8 on my hardtail, and the Forekaster 2.6 feels a little slower. It sheds mud way better though and doesnt clog up like the Rekon does. Since they are both rear tires cornering grip doesnt come into play as much as a front tire, but the Forekaster does has the edge here, atleast in softer conditions. I originally planned on ordering the Rekon 2.6, but Maxxis only has it currently available in the 120tpi model, which I dont want as a rear tire. The Forekaster is currently available in both.

The Forekaster reminds me a lot of the Specialized Purgatory, but lighter and better mud shedding ability.

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Is anyone having issues with the 2.35 on a wider rim? Like a 29mm ID... I would be using this as a front tire.
    Running one as a front tyre on my 27.5 FSR Stumpjumper, 30mm ID. Tyre measured 2.31 at the edging tread when first mounted.

Has worked great so far over summer in all dry conditions.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    If only the 2.35 was 2.35 o_0

Need more volume out back on my 29er AM HT (Summer fare).

Will be fine out back for softer, Wintery trails.

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    If only the 2.35 was 2.35 o_0

Need more volume out back on my 29er AM HT (Summer fare).

Will be fine out back for softer, Wintery trails.

Yeah, at 2.31 on a 30ID rim I can only imagine it would be 2.2something on a 19mm ID rim.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    2.35 works great on my 28mm inside width but I prob would think twice if it was on a 30mm+ rim. Tire is on the narrow side.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I have a Rekon 2.8 on my hardtail, and the Forekaster 2.6 feels a little slower. It sheds mud way better though and doesnt clog up like the Rekon does. Since they are both rear tires cornering grip doesnt come into play as much as a front tire, but the Forekaster does has the edge here, atleast in softer conditions. I originally planned on ordering the Rekon 2.6, but Maxxis only has it currently available in the 120tpi model, which I dont want as a rear tire. The Forekaster is currently available in both.

The Forekaster reminds me a lot of the Specialized Purgatory, but lighter and better mud shedding ability.
    Where did you see they are both specifically designed as rear tires ?

From what I heard both work well as front tire.

I'm looking at Rekon 2.6 rear and forekaster 2.6 front combo but in 60 TPI and they seems hard to find. If someone knows where to find them it would be appreciated to have the link.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I didnt mean to say they are rear specific tires, I was just comparing the their use as a rear tire. I havent tried a Forekaster up front.

I have a Rekon 2.8 on the Front and rear of my hardtail, and i think it is a much better rear tire for my conditions and riding style. I prefer a front tire that does not have a bunch of knobs in the transition zone like the Rekon does. Its still a really good tire and I probably wont swap it out though because it has a perfect balance of traction, weight and rolling speed.

I ordered my 2.6 tires straight from Maxxis. It cost a little more but I didnt want to wait! I'm using my 2.6 with a DHF 2.5WT up front. the 2.6 is a few mm wider, but the diameter is about the same if you measure to the top of the knobs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Davex1 View Post
    Where did you see they are both specifically designed as rear tires ?

From what I heard both work well as front tire.

I'm looking at Rekon 2.6 rear and forekaster 2.6 front combo but in 60 TPI and they seems hard to find. If someone knows where to find them it would be appreciated to have the link.
    Universalcycles.com has the 2.6 in stock for $63

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post

72.06 USD but for the 120 TPI version maxxis forekaster 2.6.

Maxxis are hard to find in Canada and I can get the Spec GC/Purgatory Grid 2.6 for 70.00$ ea. CDN. at my local shop, no shipping cost. So I think I will have to forget maxxis for now and get spec tires instead. Nobby nic apex 2.6 seems to be a good choice also but are much more expensive.

mtbr member
    My LBS carries specialized and I can get the Specialized 2.6 tires for pretty cheap, but they are HEAVY in comparison.
    CG 2.6 - 880g
    Purgatory 2.6 - 940g
    Forekaster 2.6 (120tpi) - 785g
    Rekon 2.6 (120tpi) - 730g

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post

Oh. I was referring to the rekon 2.6

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    My LBS carries specialized and I can get the Specialized 2.6 tires for pretty cheap, but they are HEAVY in comparison.
    CG 2.6 - 880g
    Purgatory 2.6 - 940g
    Forekaster 2.6 (120tpi) - 785g
    Rekon 2.6 (120tpi) - 730g
    Yes grid versions are around 100g heavier than control versions but have a much stronger sidewall and better support for riding at low pressure. They are however heavier than maxxis EXO 60 TPI but maxxis tends to run small and spec are more true to size I believe. I prefer a bullet proof tire wich is slightly heavier than something too fragile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I agree. Maxxis tends to run smaller and heavier than spec'd. It has been the case with the last 8 tires within 2 yrs.

mtbr member
    Stumpy 29 Carbon coming out of winter on DHF/DHR2 2.3 combo. Got the Forekaster in after seeking something for spring and into summer and reading this thread. 851g on the DHR2 3c rear and 754 on the Forekaster replacing it. Today was my second ride on the tire on our local mostly dry, pedally style riding conditions. I have yet to push it on gravity stuff. 180lbs, rode it at 23psi with the DHR up front. I just don't get it.....

I just don't get it; I have no idea where the traction is coming from. The tire feels lighter, rolls faster, but man it feels SUPER grippy unless really pushed over its edge on stupid lean. The thing is, most of our pedally riding here doesn't have us railing into the side knobs for 95% of the ride and this made me realize it today. Generally speaking I'd almost say this tire is BETTER for my conditions and possibly my riding style on the rear. Felt solid off camber as well as up and down. WIN WIN.

Tried the Slaugther and SS. Too little, just for reference. The tire is hooked at most lean angles, climbs pretty well and gives up a tad in breaking. Either way, im stoked as hell and will be riding the heck out of this tire. Give it a go!
    Santa Cruz HTLT

mtbr member
    May 2016
    72.06 USD but for the 120 TPI version maxxis forekaster 2.6.

Maxxis are hard to find in Canada and I can get the Spec GC/Purgatory Grid 2.6 for 70.00$ ea. CDN. at my local shop, no shipping cost. So I think I will have to forget maxxis for now and get spec tires instead. Nobby nic apex 2.6 seems to be a good choice also but are much more expensive.
    Finally order placed at universal cycles for Maxxis 27.5x2.6 tires !

Front: Forekaster 60 TPI
    Rear: Rekon 60 TPI

Will be mounted tubeless on 33mm ID wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Well after rotating thru a 2.3 DHR2 dual to a 2.3 DHF 3c on the front of my 27.5 FS, I put the FK, that was sitting collecting dust, back on the front. Got a couple rides in the AZ desert, and seems to be better than I remembered the 1st time I had it on. Rolls slightly better (duh) and at my speed just as nearly the same grip. At 3 psi higher than the minions it still feels more supple (duh).
    Currently have an Ardent Race 2.2 on back, which seems good aside from once in a while when locking up the rear brakes, the back end will slide out to one side.
    So I debated between a regular Ardent or FK for the rear, decided to go with the FK. Ordered it a couple days ago. I'm thinking I will gain some traction without losing too much in RR/speed.
    Good times ahead!

mtbr member
    My FK is showing some small Knicks in the casing between lugs o_0

Several different locations on tire.

MTB B'dos
    What would you expect, the casing is very exposed with the knobs spaced so far apart, if you're riding any serious volcanic rock or coral, then expect it. Personally, I can't say I've seen any on mine that would catch my eye or warrant worry and I've been riding mine on coral for over 6 months in the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just ordered the EXO FK 27.5 x 2.35 from Backcountry for the front wheel.
    I'm now running Ardent Race 3C 2.20 both front and rear, I just want a bit more front grip in the crud/muck without increasing the weight too much

Giant Talon 2 2016 Hard Tail.

Dab-O-Matic
    Just for edification, re ForeKaster 29, what width should I expect on a 26mm (inside) rim, in both the 2.2 and 2.35? Thanks!
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Just for edification, re ForeKaster 29, what width should I expect on a 26mm (inside) rim, in both the 2.2 and 2.35? Thanks!
    Maxxis run usually .1'' smaller than advertised on normal pressures.

Dab-O-Matic
    Maxxis run usually .1'' smaller than advertised on normal pressures.
    Thanks, I found this quote from another thread: "My Forekaster & Hans Dampf, both 2.35 in 29er size measure 58mm & 61mm wide respectively on 25.5 ID rims."
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Just had my first ride with the Maxis FK 2.35. Here is a short review:

The rider:

5'10
    215 kitted
    Logging ~2,000 miles so far this year

Bike:

2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail, Large
    Fork: Fox Factory Float 34, 130mm @ 95psi with three air volume reducers (stock); rebound 4 clicks from full out (slowest)
    Shock: Fox Factory DPS 116mm set to "race" mode on the sag indicator; rebound 4 clicks from full out (slowest)
    Wheel size: 29"
    Wheel material: Light Bicycle carbon (I can't recall ID, but they aren't wide)
    Hubs: DTSwiss 240s; 28 spokes front and back
    Front tire: Maxxis Forekaster, 2.35 @ 22psi, tubeless
    Back Tire: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.20 @ 25psi, tubeless

Where I ride:

Mostly SoCal / San Diego / Greater San Diego Area (Hodges, Daley, PQ, Noble, Cuyamaca, La Costa, Calavera, San Juan, Black Mountain) etc.

Conditions can only currently be described as:

- Sand over hard pack
    - Deeper sand over hard pack
    - Rocks with sand and / or deeper sand over hard pack
    - Rocks

Today's ride was around Lake Hodges where I happen to live near one of the trailheads. I ride this trail a lot before work and know almost every rock, turn, etc. by heart. Conditions were super dry and blown out. Temperature was around 80 degrees with winds around 5-10mph from the west. Lake Hodges is considered easy MTB riding with occasional mildly technical features along the way. The route has lots of twisty single track and frequent off camber turns. Total distance ridden today was 19.6 miles.

Maxxis markets the Forekaster as a wet weather tire, but I think after today this tire has become my go to front tire for light trail / XC in SoCal where dry, dusty, and loose conditions prevail.

Cornering: This tire was exceptional for holding a line through corners even off camber. I found that I could even be a bit sloppy in my technique (i.e., leaning body with bike as I turn vs. moving bike beneath you) and the Forekaster did not flinch. I often ride a Minion DHF on this bike as a front tire and found the Forekaster to corner at least as well as the Minion DHF and certainly better than an Ardent 2.4 I recently used. 5 stars.

Rolling resistance: I could perceive no less rolling resistance than the Ardent 2.4 referenced above, and maybe a bit less resistance than a Minion DHF. Having the additional confidence with this tire allowed me to carry my speed through turns without that little "feather brake" I often do when I feel like I might just lose traction. The only tires that I have ridden that beat this tire's rolling resistance are a 2.35 Ikon, 2.20 Ardent Race and then of course Racing Ralph's. However, an Ikon or a Racing Ralph would not do well in these conditions unless you pay attention to each and every turn. The other day I tried Ikon 2.35s front and rear and liked the combo, but you had to really watch what you were doing with the front tire. 4 stars

Weight: This tire is surprisingly light - Maxxis says it is 735 grams and I think that feels about right. Definitely lighter feeling than a Minion DHF and felt this tire would be superb for 30-50 mile rides. I would put this on par with a Nobby Nic, but for whatever reason the Forekaster feels like it holds it's line better (shape of casing?) This weight, for it's confidence inspiring traction is very good so I am giving this 5 stars.

Off camber traction: Where most of the Maxxis line I am used to (Minion DHF, High Roller II, Ardent Race) sort of relies on those corner knobs for traction in off camber turns as well as the perfunctory erosion channels that pervade SoCal trails, the Forekaster seems to use the entire tire to achieve this. I didn't feel like I was hanging on to the last set of knobs before losing traction. Excellent traction and the longer the ride got the more confident I felt. 5 stars.

Deep sand: This is the one I was most curious about - you know those times when you see sand coming up that is 4-8 inches deep and you are always surprised by how your wheels move - where other tires often made moderately or even severe directional changes, the Forekaster tracked very nicely with only minor steering corrections. It was actually pretty cool and I never felt this kind of control through deep sand (yes, I know fat bikes can do it better blah blah). 5 stars.

Installation: Super easy with the Tubeless Ready - 5 stars.

In summary, if you are looking for a light-ish tire at 735 grams for dry, dusty, loose conditions like here in SoCal, I highly recommend this tire.
    Dude I got tired of analyzing so I took the plunge and ordered a 2.35 FK for my front and a 2.35 ikon for the rear for my new full BMC four-stroke.

I was worried that they said IK was for wet, I often ride Hodges and except for this winter we don't get water!

Your review makes me stoked to mount it up!!!

1 year later, but thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've been running the Forekaster 27.5x2.6 as a rear tire for 2 months and just switched to a Rekon 2.6 over the weekend. I've been running a DHF up front with both tires.

The Rekon is noticeable faster, but doesnt give up much in the way of traction. I think its one of the best balanced tires for speed/traction I've tried in a long time. For me its an ideal summer tire.

In muddy conditions the Rekon does clog up fairly easy where as the Forekaster sheds mud very well and maintains traction. I'll be sticking with a DHF up front, but will be running the Forekaster in the wetter months and the Rekon in the drier months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

What would you expect, the casing is very exposed with the knobs spaced so far apart, if you're riding any serious volcanic rock or coral, then expect it. Personally, I can't say I've seen any on mine that would catch my eye or warrant worry and I've been riding mine on coral for over 6 months in the rear.
    I have some of these same concerns riding in the AZ desert. Really don't want to get a flat, rear concern mostly, while several miles away from my truck during the last few minutes of daylight, which is when I seem to ride alot.

But after seveal rides with dual FK's, the rear is showing almost zero marks or abraisions. But I am a light rider, make a good effort to un-weight the rear going over rocks. The regular ardent 2.25 d/c is still in the back of my mind for the rear, always thought it spun up really nice, but for now I will probably stick with the FK in front and rear.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm done with the FK. Slides way too easily in turns when I'm behind the saddle. Now that it's a little worn it's bordering on ridiculous. It's great for climbing with your ass on the saddle but the lateral movement when carving is too much. I'm in disbelief that some of you are using it as a front tire. If I did that I'd probably be getting some major dental work.

Your Best Friend
    I'm done with the Forecaster as well. It wasn't a bad single track tire. It wore too quickly for my use and on slick rock, of which my trails have a ton of, it had no ability to hold the rock while riding across a slope. The sidewall and knobs would fold over and suddenly lose grip. I crashed several times because the back end of my bike would suddenly wash out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as the two above. It rolls fast but that's about all I can say that I really love about the tire. I'm going to a Minion SS in the back now for summer (DHF in front always). So what's the next best tire, any other new ones out there?

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I'm done with the FK. Slides way too easily in turns when I'm behind the saddle. Now that it's a little worn it's bordering on ridiculous. It's great for climbing with your ass on the saddle but the lateral movement when carving is too much. I'm in disbelief that some of you are using it as a front tire. If I did that I'd probably be getting some major dental work.
    No love for the Tomahawk? I really like the Aggressor, it's just heavier than I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I'm done with the Forecaster as well. It wasn't a bad single track tire. It wore too quickly for my use and on slick rock, of which my trails have a ton of, it had no ability to hold the rock while riding across a slope. The sidewall and knobs would fold over and suddenly lose grip. I crashed several times because the back end of my bike would suddenly wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by Purdue22 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as the two above. It rolls fast but that's about all I can say that I really love about the tire. I'm going to a Minion SS in the back now for summer (DHF in front always). So what's the next best tire, any other new ones out there?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

MTB B'dos
    Sorry, but I'll happily say I still love my Forekaster, but if you're riding mainly riding rock, then an Aggressor or DHR2 is better suited. Hoping they offer a 2.6" FK or even a true plus option and some different compound options.

mtbr member
    2.6" x 29" tires are coming the last half of this year according to Maxxis but it is definitely taking them a while/wish they would come out early. I really think 2.6" +\- 0.2 is the sweet spot...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?

Had my first ride using 2.35 FK up front on my '16 Fuel EX (29er). I replaced the 2.3 XR3 front but kept the rear. FK was about the same size. So the FK was a huge improvement over the XR3 in most ways & RR seemed similar. I'd rate the cornering grip similar (maybe a bit better) to Ardent in 2.25 but it's been a while since I used that tire. I think it's a good choice for a more XC style trail bike like my 120mm 29er but probably not burly enough for a 140-150mm bike. Will see how it wears as my XR3 started to loose grip as the side knobs wore, as other have suggested for the FK in this thread. But considering I only paid $30 usd for this tire, I'll be ok with replacing it a bit sooner than normal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

Same reason I'm switching back to a DHR. It was great in the dirt and cornered well. Appreciated how light it was. Off camber traction on rock just wasn't there at all. Spinning out more than I was used to on techy climbs also.

battle stag commander
    I have been running 2.35 EXO forkasters front and rear on my Evil Calling. Riding mostly western Mass, some in Vermont. Some places that are great for testing sidewall durability. I have had great luck with exo casing, I havent found anything comperable yet. Ive run them enough over the winter and through this season that they might need replacing soon due to simple tread wear.

these are supposed to be a wet xc tire, I find them to be a great allround trail tire, maybe not quite as fast in a straight like as the ikons, but greater versatility as conditions and surfaces change. For instance, yesterday did a humid ride at Batchelor street, dry trail conditions, with lots of leaf litter in many places, but all of the classic batchelor moonrock was pretty slick and sweaty from the humidity.

Lots of great tires out there nowadays, Ive found these to suit me very well in lots of different conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been using the Forekaster front, Ardent Race rear (both 29x2.35) for about a year now, and I still like this combination a lot. The AR has really impressed me. The tread design doesn't look like it would have a lot of grip, but it has provided very good climbing and cornering traction while still rolling fast.

I had a DHF front before the Forekaster. The DHF had amazing cornering grip, but it was too heavy and slow rolling for my needs. The Forekaster is a good compromise. It gives good cornering grip but also rolls pretty well and isn't too heavy.

mtbr member
    I live in the PNW and I found the Forekaster to be a great rear tire during the wet season. Digs in real nice and sheds mud very well. I can see how it wouldnt be the best option for lots of rocks, and while they do grip on hardpack, I find they roll a little slow. For the summer months i'm running a Rekon which rolls amazingly fast for the amount of grip it gives you. I'll switchback to the Forekaster once the fall rains return. Up front I always run grippy aggressive tires and I'm currently loving the DHF 2.6 3c exo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast