Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    He said he cut his in the actual tread, not on the casing (sidewall), which is something I wondered about with how spaced the knobs are, but I haven't had this issue yet on our coral or on a 4 day trip to CO, but hence why I am hoping for it to also be released in the DD casing option which would take it up to about 900g and build like a tank.

I can tell you all that, especially if it's the 3C version - MUCH SLOWER rolling, grip wise, depends on the conditions, definitely should find more confidence in/on the wet
    I have the DC/EXO/TR version F&R and have 3 rides on them. I can't tell any difference in rolling, as my geared up 220lbs doesn't care one way or the other, and in my terrain I can go 100' of hard pack, then 100' of rocks/marbles/kitty litter over hard pack and then 100' of sand...... and I repeat that for 10-15 miles.

As for grip, that's also hard to tell in my loose over hard terrain as I don't push the envelope like I once did.... I will say that grip isn't any worse, but the Forekasters were damn good for me too.

The main difference that can be seen and felt is the stronger sidewall/casing of the HR2, and I'm guessing that has to do with it being 60 TPI compared to the FK's 120? I was able to drop 2psi in each tire to 25/28 with the same contact bubble and overall feel..... I'll kill these and then decide if I'm going to keep them or go back to the FKs.

mtbr member
    Well, I went back to Forekasters front and rear. I just didn't like the transition of the HR2s for the way, and the where I ride........ Too sketchy between upright and leaned over.

My buddy bought the HR2s and I went back to what I know works. I went almost 600 miles on my first set without any cuts whatsoever, so I'm hoping the cut in the 2nd set was just bad luck.

Anyway, still the best feeling tire that I have ridden in my terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Are you planning on running a bigger tire like. Dhf in the front or does the forekaster provide enough cornering and braking grip?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Are you planning on running a bigger tire like. Dhf in the front or does the forekaster provide enough cornering and braking grip?

For me, the FK is a better front tire than the HR2 was and is all I need.

No good in rock gardens..
    Mounted a 27.5x2.35 Forekaster on my 29mm I/W front Roval today.

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-fk.jpg

Ardent Race 2.2 on the rear.

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-ar.jpg

Only have 20km on this pairing so far, today. Will re-measure tomorrow.

Initial impressions over dry, hard trails with a fair bit of loose rock, silt and all kinds of fine rock pieces was that it's not a tyre where I said "WOW!" on the corners like the High Roller for example. But it just quietly did its thing with no fanfare and never felt squirrelly or "off edge" like I've found the Ardent can.

Riding it again tomorrow and will try to let it rip a little more on some faster open trails.
    Last edited by Sideknob; 12-29-2016 at 03:33 AM.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    AR 2.2 is a stellar tyre for rear duties on most trail fare, apart from full on mud.

Got two mates running FK's... Both should be riding with me on some really rocky, gnarly terrain over the Xmas break.

Will see how they hold up before I go splashing out on new shoes.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Your Best Friend
    I've been running a Forecaster on the rear of my 29er in SW Utah for a couple of months now. I like the tread and it seems quick, no sluggishness. I'm debating buying a new one but I have several issues. I got a large puncture in between the tread in the first week. I plugged it. Had to add a second plug in the same spot, a few days later. All has been fine since. The tread itself is already unacceptably worn. On slick rock, off camber climbs, the side knobs fold and the tire slides sideways off the rock. Very disconcerting.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    On slick rock, off camber climbs, the side knobs fold and the tire slides sideways off the rock. Very disconcerting.
    I am getting the same slight feeling of the side knobs folding on off camber climbs, and off camber anything really. I don't rail, I just ride, but yes it is disconcerting. I added 2 psi and it seemed to help but still not completely.

At this point I am not sure if I will keep the FK on or throw something else on that I have piled up in my garage. I am a Maxxis fan, have tried most of their options, and all I want is to not washout the front, and not have to push an anchor up hills. So maybe dhr2 dual compound 2.3. Or maybe I should stay off the internet and go ride more and get better at line choice and technique.

edit: I am on Crest wheels that are 21mm internal, FK 2.35 27.5

MTB B'dos
    Get some wheels built with rims that aren't reminiscent of a wet noodle Seriously Crest are for racer boys looking for the absolutely lightest setup, stiffness not being a concern, even if you only weigh 160lbs they're not stiff enough if you're looking to tyres like the DHR2 etc. You should try the FK on a rim with a 25-30mm internal width and sufficient stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcap View Post
    I am getting the same slight feeling of the side knobs folding on off camber climbs, and off camber anything really. I don't rail, I just ride, but yes it is disconcerting. I added 2 psi and it seemed to help but still not completely.

At this point I am not sure if I will keep the FK on or throw something else on that I have piled up in my garage. I am a Maxxis fan, have tried most of their options, and all I want is to not washout the front, and not have to push an anchor up hills. So maybe dhr2 dual compound 2.3. Or maybe I should stay off the internet and go ride more and get better at line choice and technique.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Your Best Friend
    I'm on Enve's.

mtbr member

How much psi are you running? You may be feeling the tire squirming/folding due to low psi and your narrow rim.

I'm 225lb all geared up and run 26/29 psi on Stan's Flow MK3s and have never felt the side knobs "folding"...... Before the Flows, I had a Race Face Aeffect wheelset with a 23mm internal width and I ran 29/31 (tubeless) and never had an issue either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Washing out is mostly about technique. Tires can only help so much. I use to wash out when I started. Body position is important when weighting your front when its needed as well as bike to body separation. Not applying front brakes in a turn and scrub the speed before entering a turn. These are some of the things which have helped me and I hope it helps you. Other things which cant always be helped in turning into a loose soft shoulder. Yup did that a few times. Flat pedals also goves me more confidence and a few times it saved me by letting me dab quickly. Washing out sucks, especially when you land on your hip bone. Tires do help if you must have every advantage in cornering. Maxxis minions like the dhf and dhr have large supported side knobs and nothing compares. They are a bit heavy for trail riding but your legs will get stronger and the improvement in traction and braking gives you loads of confidence when you point your bike downwards.

Your Best Friend
    We're not talking about washing out. Thanks though. The side knobs fold over or break loose in off camber soil or especially slick rock.

Cactus Cuddler
    We're not talking about washing out. Thanks though. The side knobs fold over or break loose in off camber soil or especially slick rock.
    There are some areas where for me (loose over hardpack, mostly the kitty litter-like decomposed granite over conrete-like packed dirt) where tires will wash briefly, but when they hook up it's kinda violent and the knob support makes the difference on whether or not they get purchase, flex the casing, but get me turning, or if they fold under and just create this strange wash->slide->gone chain where I can feel that grip is there, but I'm not getting actually hooked up and turned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    How much psi are you running? You may be feeling the tire squirming/folding due to low psi and your narrow rim.

I'm 225lb all geared up and run 26/29 psi on Stan's Flow MK3s and have never felt the side knobs "folding"...... Before the Flows, I had a Race Face Aeffect wheelset with a 23mm internal width and I ran 29/31 (tubeless) and never had an issue either.
    Was at 16 then bumped it to 18, tubeless, I'm at 160lbs.

lynx, tires are a lot cheaper than wheels, and I have ran the dhr2 2.3 on these wheels, for a few rides, and at only 110 grams heavier than the FK I have always liked the concept, and lots of riders on the forum like them.

silentfoe, I only mentioned washout because it's my own personal worse case scenario.

jackson, thanks, yep I'm on flats, only tried clipless for a little while but like the safe feeling of being able to get out of the pedal.

mtbr member
    Was at 16 then bumped it to 18, tubeless, I'm at 160lbs
    Per Stan's recommendations you should be at 22/25

Rider Weight in pounds divided by 7 = x
    x - 1 = Front tire pressure in PSI
    x + 2 = Rear tire pressure in PSI

MTB tires were never meant to be ridden damn near flat.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

I find that formula works well if I subtract 10psi from the result.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

I keep forgetting about Stans formula. Gonna try it next ride. I have a 2.2 ikon out back that I was running at 21...

Your Best Friend
    That formula is pointless. So far off from where I ride, with any tire or rim. I'm sure it's off for most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    That formula is pointless. So far off from where I ride, with any tire or rim. I'm sure it's off for most people.
    Off how? Too high?

I am sure tire gauges/pumps vary also, I have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II floor pump.

Also this is the 1st 120tpi tire I have had on the front so that could possibly be some of what I perceive as the tread 'folding', for me anyway. Who knows....I haven't actually seen the what the tread is doing, just a feeling, and I have seen no damage to the side knobs.

It's funny how on my last couple rides, I have had that folding feeling in that tire, and then I see some similar posts on the forum, so I thought I would chime in.

Your Best Friend
    Way high. I've been riding tubeless for a decade plus and used many pumps. Psi differences aren't the issue. No one tubeless should be over 30 psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I dont see how a formula can be exact when you have so many casing thicknesses and rim widths and we all ride different terrains and at different skill levels. It seems like a good starting pt for someone just starting out

mtbr member
    I agree it's mostly pointless but coincidentally it's near exactly what I run (tubeless). ~165# and if I go much less than 25psi I have to tread lightly or else I get rim strikes.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I agree it's mostly pointless but coincidentally it's near exactly what I run (tubeless). ~165# and if I go much less than 25psi I have to tread lightly or else I get rim strikes.
    Yep, exactly.... When done right, rim strikes don't happen. Leave the flat tires for the rock crawlers.

mtbr member
    ^ Agreed. Stupid formulas like what's mentioned above are for noobs that don't know any better. There are too many variable to make any sense of a recommended formula.
    If anyone is riding these FK lower than 21-22 psi your kidding yourself. Side knobs rolling over, of course they will at sub 20 psi pressures. They have tiny side knobs compared to Minions so it's not fair to compared them. The FK is a XC type tire very similar the the Schwalbe NN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Does the rocket ron fall in the same category?

Your Best Friend
    No, the rocket ron is a lightweight race tire

mtbr member
    150# on 23.5 id rims. Been running the fk at 20psi rear and vigilante at 17psi front. Ohio leafy fall weather and they have been working great.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

Rim is too narrow. The feeling isn't just the side knobs folding, it's the tire nearly being pulled off the rim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Rim is too narrow. The feeling isn't just the side knobs folding, it's the tire nearly being pulled off the rim.
    Actually no it's not. I have about 1000 miles on these wheels and this is the only tire that gives me this feeling. Rocks, small boulders, roots, loose over hard, loose, in the AZ desert. Never burped a tire, never had a rim strike, as far as I know. (edit: at my riding style...)

The other tires I have used have all been 60tpi.
    Last edited by ljcap; 12-19-2016 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Does the rocket ron fall in the same category?

They are night and day different, at least as a front tire. I had ridden/raced all season on 2.25 x 27.5 RR, wanted more traction for Fall/winter and went 2.35 FK on the front. 200 grams heavier, but way more cornering traction and off-camber wet, rooty sidehills are amazing with the FK - 150 lbs. 23 id rim, 20 psi.
    The negative with the FK is its a low volume narrow tire - not even close to 2.35". It measures exactly the same as the RR = 2.25"

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You probably dont feel the difference with an additional 200g in the front tire

mtbr member
    OK, I've sipped on the Kool Aid & have got a 2.35 Forekaster on route ^^

Will run it up front for Summer trails & out back come Fall/Winter/Spring.

Q: How does it go up front on dry, rocky terrain?

Your Best Friend
    It does well.

mtbr member
    Another data point for anyone trying to figure out pressures:

155 pounds
    Rigid SS
    Lezyne Dirt Drive Pump with Gauge
    Rims = 26mm internal
    Front 22-24 psi (Low end for smooth trails, upper end for rockier trails)
    Rear 24-26 psi

I'll occasionally get rim strikes at these pressures, but it's usually only when I miss a line.

2 or 3 pounds below those pressures, and I can start to feel the tires rolling over in corners.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Love the Forecaster. Run it in the Arizona desert at 21psi front on 35mm carbon rim.185 pounds geared up.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    Love the Forecaster. Run it in the Arizona desert at 21psi front on 35mm carbon rim.185 pounds geared up.
    I am so glad to hear this. Do you mind sharing where you ride most in AZ? This tire is on my list, but I was concerned how it would perform on loose over hard pack. (Browns, Deems, Sonoran Preserve)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    SoMo and Hawes. Hawes dirt is similar to Browns. Works great on loose over hard and rolls pretty decent.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    SoMo and Hawes. Hawes dirt is similar to Browns. Works great on loose over hard and rolls pretty decent.
    And sorry, you running it front and rear? Thanks for the beta. I live in Cave Creek but am very familiar with Hawes and the dirt, yes very similar to my regular rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just front, Ikon on the rear

Got a few rides on mine, 27.5x2.35 on the front of my new Stumpjumper. Set up tubeless, no idea of pressure sorry, but it's not likely relevant to others anyway.

Seems like a stable, easy steering tyre without that real edgy feeling bite like a High Roller that some love and some hate.

The tyre hasn't gotten upset by loose silt and kitty litter over baked clay and feels stable and predictable. I like it.

It's dry as a desert on my trails right now and with a lot of the above mentioned surfaces. I may try a 2.2 on the rear later on.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Just FYI to anyone interested in running this as a rear tire. I'm 200#s on a 2016 SW Camber 29 with 30mm ID rims. I'm running the 2.35" FK at 21 psi in the rear with a 2.5" Minon DHF in the front at 19 psi. Much better rolling resistance than the other Minon I had on the back and significantly better traction than the 2.4" Ardent I was running before the Minon. So long as this tire holds up I plan to keep this setup going all winter and perhaps into the spring/summer.

NOTE: For those who commented on the treads feeling like they were rolling underneath themselves (not tire squirm due to low pressure but something different going on) I felt this too in my initial rides. I had this issue when I was at 24 psi but since I have now lowered to 21 psi and the FK is behaving great and there have been absolutely no rim strikes (could probably go lower in psi but as of now I have no need to do so).

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    19 psi is low for 200lbs. I couldn't go below 22psi for my dhr wt 2.4 60tpi. Sounds like it has a nice thick casing

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Have about 550 miles on my Forekasters now. Did a Christmas day ride, and punctured the front tire in between knobs, and ended up plugging it (its worth mentioning that I had a very healthy amount of Orange Seal in it)..

I'm running them front and rear. So far this has been my favorite tire to date. Before that puncture I've had zero issues, and for what it's worth one of the guys riding with me punctured his BRAND new Minion DHF in between tread lugs (riding the ledges at the back 40 in Bella Vista, AR. The trail is an absolute massacre for tires, i personally know at least 8 people who have completely destroyed tires riding it).

I have been considering trying a more burly tire like the Minion or a HRII, but for my riding style and bike (Yeti SB4.5c) the Forekaster really seems to fit the bill. The AR 2.35 does catch my attention, and I very well may go to it for summer riding as a faster rolling rear tire, with the FK up front still.

My rear tire is looking somewhat worn, but definitely still has life left in it. I'm thinking it will see 700 miles before i change it, but most people would probably run it far longer as I'm picky about any noticeable wear on my equipment. I have decided that I will probably order in another set to have as spares for when it comes time to put new rubber on the Yeti. These are great tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    wow, people love this tire, and love to write about it. from what i can gather, it is a racing tire, a burly racing tire, but definitely marketed as an xc racing tire. are people impressed with it's weight and rolling resistance compared to its stable mates ie. ikon 2.35, beaver 2.25 (i'm just wearing through the beav on the rear, it's been great) with which it should compete directly (both wet weather specialists). it would be on the thin side for my local trails which are well served by the minion twins but they look like lightweight climbing fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Inner rim width contributes to how much performance you can get out of the tire. 35mm inner down to 30 should be the better range to avoid sidewall foldover at lower pressure points. And you get more traction because you're creating a bigger contact area with the lower pressure you can run on wider rims. Going wider may lead to grabbiness from squaring off the outer tread based on how rounded the tread profile is.

mtbr member
    Got mine ^^

Popping up front tomorrow morning =)

Paired with an Ardent Race 2.2 out back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    How would the FK compare to a 2.4 Ardent as a rear tire? Planning on running one of these with a DHR2 in front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For me the FK sounds good but it seems to be on the narrow side. I like very much the widht of the DHR II in 2.4 and what I read is that the FK is definitely much smaller? Any experience with both tires (just in regards to their width/volume)?

MTB B'dos
    There is no comparison, the Forekaster is actually a great tyre and does a lot of things well, the Ardent did not do anything really well, well it did have volume and that's the only difference you'd notice, the FK is a bit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    How would the FK compare to a 2.4 Ardent as a rear tire? Planning on running one of these with a DHR2 in front.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Got mine ^^

Popping up front tomorrow morning =)

Paired with an Ardent Race 2.2 out back.

A LOT of the pics earlier in the thread make the knobs look lower and the spaces between them much bigger. You sold me. I'm grabbing one off ebay right now. Will be paired with a trail boss 2.4 up front (which is too slow and edgy to run on the rear as well).
    Based on the measurements people are throwing out there, this appears to be on the same casing as the ikon 2.35 - so why the hell does maxxis charge so much more for the ikons?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A LOT of the pics earlier in the thread make the knobs look lower and the spaces between them much bigger. You sold me. I'm grabbing one off ebay right now. Will be paired with a trail boss 2.4 up front (which is too slow and edgy to run on the rear as well).
    Based on the measurements people are throwing out there, this appears to be on the same casing as the ikon 2.35 - so why the hell does maxxis charge so much more for the ikons?
    I would have to assume that you are wrong about it being the same casing. The 2.35 Ikon appears to have quite a bit more volume than the 2.35 Forekaster. But I could be wrong

mtbr member
    Not the same casing as the Ikon. Less volume on the FK. The Ikon costs more money because it uses Maxxis 3C triple compound. The FK is 120 TPI but not 3C. This tire does everything well. I have run two FK and also as a rear tire with a 2.4 WT DHR2 up front. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    DEFINITELY not the same casing, not in size and not in compound. I have a 2.4" Ardent and 2.35" Ikon as well as the 2.35" Forekaster and the Ikon & Ardent both use the same casing/are the same volume, whereas the Forekaster uses the same casing as the 2.3" DHF/DHR2.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Crap. This thing better be bigger than the aggressor 2.3 at least.

mtbr member
    Crap. This thing better be bigger than the aggressor 2.3 at least.
    A riding bud who owns a Carbon Remedy 29er....

Runs the FK out back, paired w/ the HRII 2.3 out front.

The FK looks noticeably bigger than the HRII.

Might actually chuck FK out back and compare it to my 2.35 NN up front.

NB, I do have an XR4 2.4 arriving any day now for front duties.

mtbr member

Here it is on bike pumped up @40psi.

It measures in at 57.74mm on 25.5 ID rim.

My NN 2.35 on same rim measures 59.76mm.

Once it stretches a bit I'll definitely need my new XR4 2.4 to maintain visual balance.

PS - riding impressions to come

MTB B'dos
    HR2 2.3" is noticeably smaller than the 2.3" DHF/DHR2 and FK.

A riding bud who owns a Carbon Remedy 29er....Runs the FK out back, paired w/ the HRII 2.3 out front. The FK looks noticeably bigger than the HRII.

mtbr member
    HR2 2.3" is noticeably smaller than the 2.3" DHF/DHR2 and FK.
    Really?

I've ridden HRII & DHRII on my (former) AM mule & I'd say they're about the same... give or take a millimetre.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Got a couple rides at 22/25, definitely feels better than 18/21, rode some similar trails as I did at the lower pressures, but not exactly the same, so that could also affect my perceived results. I'm going to keep it here for a while.

No, formulas aren't the end all be all, and even Stan's website says it's a 'starting point'.

Topeak Joe Blow Sport II floor pump
    21mm internal Crests, FS 27.5
    160#
    FK 2.35 front, Ikon 2.2 rear

MTB B'dos
    My bad, keep forgetting I have the HR2s on my old Flow wheelset which only has an internal width of 22.5mm, my current wheelsets are all 29mm or more. Tried the HR2 on a i25 setup and did not like what it did to it's shape, so stuck them back on the narrower rims. Still though, looking at other guys bike who run the HR2 2.3" on 30mm internal rims they look smaller than the DHF/DHR2 2.3", need to measure them and see if my eyes are playing tricks.
    Really? I've ridden HRII & DHRII on my (former) AM mule & I'd say they're about the same... give or take a millimetre.

mtbr member
    Got a couple rides at 22/25, definitely feels better than 18/21, rode some similar trails as I did at the lower pressures, but not exactly the same, so that could also affect my perceived results. I'm going to keep it here for a while.

No, formulas aren't the end all be all, and even Stan's website says it's a 'starting point'.
    Yep, get those tires pumped up to where they should be and it's a totally different ride.

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    For me the FK sounds good but it seems to be on the narrow side. I like very much the widht of the DHR II in 2.4 and what I read is that the FK is definitely much smaller? Any experience with both tires (just in regards to their width/volume)?
    My new (to me) bike came kitted with a DHR2 WT up front (2.4) and Forekaster out back. I was originally under the assumption that I'd be instantly binning the FK to run a Slaughter out back, but the FK is actually a really good tire for this time of year out here. Good amount of braking knobs, rolling resistance on par with an Ardent, and the cornering knobs have enough suppleness that they're impressive. In summer (I ride dry hardpack in the desert southwest) I'll likely be moving to a Slaughter GRID or RockRazer SuperGravity, but I'll be running the FK for right now.

Volume is good (on 30mm IW rims) as is shape, there's some tangible knob wiggle on pavement and hardpack because they're taller knobs than my reference points out back (Ardent, Ikon, MinionSS), but this is seriously an overachieving tire, much like the Ardent Race. In all honesty, in Medium to Loamy XC conditions where tire volume is a plus, I wouldn't hesitate to run a Forekaster in front of an Ardent Race, both in 29x2.35 size (3C fast rolling AR, still has good cornering, the FK rolls well for how much grip is on offer, with excellent mud clearance). As a winter tire for out here, I'm seriously impressed, and since what I'll be replacing it with is a de-facto semislick, I'll just ride the setup I have right now until we get to the dry part of the year.

Anymore, I feel like the Ardent is the universal C student (with the 2.4 getting a B- everywhere), whereas the Forekaster, Ikon, Ardent Race, Minion DHF and DHR are all honor roll tires in EXO/TR/(3C) guise with 2.35-2.5" casings, and depending on the application any tire of interest needs to be compared against one of those four models from Maxxis to be justified as what to run.

mtbr member
    First ride on the FK tonight.

Very growly getting to the trail.

Rolling resistance was noticeable coming off an Ardent Race 2.2 out back on the same trails two days past.

When pointing down that resistance was greatly appreciated.

I'd say rolling resistance is up there with a Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.25.

Slightly more than say a DHRII as well.

Will likely run it as my Summer front tyre & out back for Winter fare.

For the $33 usd I paid for it, it'll definitely be a keeper.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Just got the one I ordered. Flattened out, it measures 5.75" edge to edge. I grabbed a used ikon 2.35 I have and it measures 6" edge to edge. Hoping the FK ends up close to that when it stretches a bit. Really like how the tread looks.

mtbr member
    Santa just brought my 27.5 2.35 FK in the mail! Impressed with the knobs and doesn't look too small. Going to mount tubeless on Easton Arc 30s paired with a 2.4 DHR II up front. Will let ya know how it goes..

mtbr member
    First ride on the FK tonight.

Very growly getting to the trail.

Rolling resistance was noticeable coming off an Ardent Race 2.2 out back on the same trails two days past.

When pointing down that resistance was greatly appreciated.

I'd say rolling resistance is up there with a Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.25.

Slightly more than say a DHRII as well.

Will likely run it as my Summer front tyre & out back for Winter fare.

For the $33 usd I paid for it, it'll definitely be a keeper.

I don't think the rolling resistance is as much as you say. Definitely not minion rolling resistance. I used the FK front and rear for XC racing and loved it.

MTB B'dos
    You're definitely doing something wrong, my FK rolls WAY better than a 3C DHR2, on Par with a Minion SS, faster than a 2.4" Ardent, as fast as a 2.35" Ikon.
    First ride on the FK tonight. Very growly getting to the trail. Rolling resistance was noticeable coming off an Ardent Race 2.2 out back on the same trails two days past. When pointing down that resistance was greatly appreciated.

I'd say rolling resistance is up there with a Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.25, Slightly more than say a DHRII as well.

Will likely run it as my Summer front tyre & out back for Winter fare. For the $33 usd I paid for it, it'll definitely be a keeper.

mtbr member
    3C DHR is a slug compared to the dual DHRII.

2.3 DHRII is also narrower than the 2.35 FK.

If you've got a 2.2 FK, then that'll be a different kettle of fish.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I don't understand how a company labels some tires fairly accurately while exaggerating others for no reason. This is a 2.1 at the moment, might stretch to 2.2... Not a 2.35.

mtbr member
    Just got my new 2.35 FK mounted up tubeless. I will say these things are a pain to seat with just a track pump. Had to go down to local gas station to use their compressor. Never had that problem with Ikon, DHRII, etc. Like most have mentioned earlier, the size was slightly disappointing, definitely not a true 2.35, more like 2.3.

Side by side with 2.4 DHRII. Definietely smaller
    Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20161231_182807_resized.jpg

Pulled out an old 2.25 Nobby to comp. Definitely bigger
    Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20161231_182744_resized.jpg

So I figure should be around 2.3

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    On the plus side, this is the best sealing tubeless ready tire I've ever had. Locked on to my light bikes rim with just a little water spritz on the beads. Then it held 35lbs overnight without a drop of sealant.

It's pretty good in slick mud over hardpack, which was about 50% of what I rode today. It was also very good in the dryer sections and techy climbs with rocks.
    Last edited by 92gli; 01-01-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Side by side with 2.4 DHRII. Definietely smaller
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161231_182807_resized.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	1113230
    Is that a DHRII WT 2.4? I see those are ARC30 rims?

change is good
    Sep 2004

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?

I feel the 2.4 DH2 is much more substantial than the 2.3. More volume and larger lugs.

So, is the FK a more substantial RoRo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

So, is the FK a more substantial RoRo?
    I feel like "ardent with more balls" is appropriate. Except this one doesn't come in xl volume.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Is that a DHRII WT 2.4? I see those are ARC30 rims?

Yes, thats a 2.4 DHR II, both mounted on Arc 30's. Took the bike out with the new setup for the first time this morning. So far, so good. The FK handled everything I threw at it, had waaay more grip than the 2.35 Ikon, and couldn't really notice a difference in rolling resistance. On the down side, the lower volume casing made for a rougher ride than the higher volume Ikon..

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Yes, thats a 2.4 DHR II, both mounted on Arc 30's. Took the bike out with the new setup for the first time this morning. So far, so good. The FK handled everything I threw at it, had waaay more grip than the 2.35 Ikon, and couldn't really notice a difference in rolling resistance. On the down side, the lower volume casing made for a rougher ride than the higher volume Ikon..
    But is it the WT (wide trail) version? Sorry to bother I've just been looking for a profile of that tire on that specific rim. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dream it, Do it.
    I'm hoping it might have similar rolling resistance to a Nobby Nic with better cornering traction. For our riding, I'm thinking it's most likely to be a rear tire paired with a DH-F in front.

I've got a pair that I'm planning to run both front & rear in an upcoming comparison test against the DH-R Dua Compoundl, Nobby Nic Pacestar and Aggressor Dual Compound
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Here's a side by side (not very clear... I know) w/ my new 2.4 XR4 Team Issue.

MTB B'dos
    I must say, almost identical knobs and placement, but the different size knobs, ramping and sipping will make the FK different, but would be cool to have both and compare. I know I like the Bonti TLR casings, they're bullet proof.

Here's a side by side (not very clear... I know) w/ my new 2.4 XR4 Team Issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    But is it the WT (wide trail) version? Sorry to bother I've just been looking for a profile of that tire on that specific rim. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, thats a 2.4 WT

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am now Forekaster front and back. Like many on this thread, I ran a Forekaster front with AR on the back most of the summer and I loved the combo. This past winter, I ran a Nobby Nic on the back for more climbing traction but I needed to purchase a new one this year and was not excited about the NN price tag. Seeing that the NN and Forekaster are similar but reverse rotation, I have the old Forekaster on the back spinning reverse and the new Forekaster on the front.

I will also say that the old Forekaster has stretched a bunch and looks like a different tire when I compare it to the new one.

Happy winter trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Rode Pisgah over the weekend. Steep, chunky, rooty, wet, leaves, mud, gravel. 27.5x2.35 FK front, 2.2 FK rear. The only time the tires faltered was off-camber slick mud which followed plenty of previous mud to pack them up. When sliding they were pleasantly predictable. I was loving the low weight/rolling resistance on the insanely long gravel climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluzar View Post
    I will also say that the old Forekaster has stretched a bunch and looks like a different tire when I compare it to the new one.
    Same exact experience for me too. On my Flow MK3s (29mm) the Forekasters measured 56ishmm at its widest part right after install..... 10 days & 50ish miles later, they are damn near 60mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone had a chance to put a 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster and the scales and see how much they come in at? Looking to drop some weight off my bike and these like a nice compromise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Rode Pisgah over the weekend. Steep, chunky, rooty, wet, leaves, mud, gravel. 27.5x2.35 FK front, 2.2 FK rear. The only time the tires faltered was off-camber slick mud which followed plenty of previous mud to pack them up. When sliding they were pleasantly predictable. I was loving the low weight/rolling resistance on the insanely long gravel climb.
    I'm wondering if the side knobs stick out past the casing on the 2.2 FK?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    Anyone had a chance to put a 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster and the scales and see how much they come in at? Looking to drop some weight off my bike and these like a nice compromise.
    680g on my Feedback Sports scale.

These tires are very fast rollers compared to the DHF/DHR2 2.3 combo I was running on my Bronson. Running them front and rear.

Nice traction in the wet over roots/rocks and very good mud shedding capabilities. Had to bump it up 1 PSI more than normal (22/24) but they are great a reducing trail chatter while still providing decent sidewall support.

Like others have mentioned they are pretty skinny initially but they do chub up after a few rides. These are very good winter tires and I will continue using them until things start to dry up around here.

Dream it, Do it.
    Just weighed two unmounted Forekaster tires: 680g for one Forekaster, 710g for the other

In terms of weight, these are right in the range of Nobby Nics so I'll be curious to see if they roll as fast and whether they corner better.

Great to hear that these roll fast compared to the DHR2 as I've found that the DHR2 is surprisingly no slouch in terms of rolling resistance.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

MTB B'dos
    There are 2 different wheel sizes, and 3 options in each size, so which size and casing did you weigh? As to FK vs the NN, if you're talking the Schwalbe Pace Star vs DC from Maxxis (I think that's a fair comparison), Maxxis wins for sure, Schwalbe is just too hard, or at least that's what it's felt like when I tried a set of regular 29"x2.35" NN PS on wet, mossy, slippery roots and rocks compared to DC Maxxis tyres on same trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Just weighed two unmounted Forekaster tires: 680g for one Forekaster, 710g for the other

In terms of weight, these are right in the range of Nobby Nics so I'll be curious to see if they roll as fast and whether they corner better.

Great to hear that these roll fast compared to the DHR2 as I've found that the DHR2 is surprisingly no slouch in terms of rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm putting together a Yeti 4.5c and i'm going to try Maxxis tires on this build. I ran Nobby Nic 29x2.35 front and rear on my Niner Rip9 and didn't have any complaints.

So i purchased an Ardent Race 29x2.35, Ikon 29x2.35 and now after this thread i went ahead and bought a 29x2.35 Forekaster. What combination front and rear would you run if you had these three tires on your shelf? Im thinking AR on the rear with the FK on the front and shelving the Ikon for now. Louisville, KY midwest trails. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.BG View Post
    I'm putting together a Yeti 4.5c and i'm going to try Maxxis tires on this build. I ran Nobby Nic 29x2.35 front and rear on my Niner Rip9 and didn't have any complaints.

So i purchased an Ardent Race 29x2.35, Ikon 29x2.35 and now after this thread i went ahead and bought a 29x2.35 Forekaster. What combination front and rear would you run if you had these three tires on your shelf? Im thinking AR on the rear with the FK on the front and shelving the Ikon for now. Louisville, KY midwest trails. Thoughts?
    Definitely FK front and AR rear.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Definitely FK front and AR rear.

Curious what the size difference will be between the FK & the AR 2.35's...sounds like the FK is slightly undersized (or not as voluminous).

Dream it, Do it.
    I was responding to the previous post asking about the weight of 27.5 x 2.35 tires. There's only one version of those: Dual Compound/EXO/TR.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    There are 2 different wheel sizes, and 3 options in each size, so which size and casing did you weigh?
    I was responding to the previous post asking about the weight of 27.5 x 2.35 tires. There's only one version of those: Dual Compound/EXO/TR.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    The AR 2.35, whilst not as nobly... is bigger than the FK 2.35.

A more aesthetic combo would be FK 2.35 front and AR 2.2 rear.

MTB B'dos
    Quoting the post you're responding to helps the rest of us know exactly what you're going on about ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    There are 2 different wheel sizes, and 3 options in each size, so which size and casing did you weigh? As to FK vs the NN, if you're talking the Schwalbe Pace Star vs DC from Maxxis (I think that's a fair comparison), Maxxis wins for sure, Schwalbe is just too hard, or at least that's what it's felt like when I tried a set of regular 29"x2.35" NN PS on wet, mossy, slippery roots and rocks compared to DC Maxxis tyres on same trails.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quoting the post you're responding to helps the rest of us know exactly what you're going on about ;-)
    For sure
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Just took the 2.35 FK out for a ride this morning in really wet conditions. Fantastic traction on the rear over some super slick rocks and roots. No comparison to the Ikon or AR I've had on back before. I think I'm sold on this as my winter setup with the 2.4 DHR II up front. Hell, it might be a year round setup with how well it is rolling!

mtbr member
    Just took the 2.35 FK out for a ride this morning in really wet conditions. Fantastic traction on the rear over some super slick rocks and roots. No comparison to the Ikon or AR I've had on back before. I think I'm sold on this as my winter setup with the 2.4 DHR II up front. Hell, it might be a year round setup with how well it is rolling!
    If only the FKs had the same side knobs as the DHF/DHR2, I would run them year round for sure. They roll effortlessly and are super smooth, but I don't like how they handle fast turns. The side knobs are a bit too small and squirmy for me.

Just did a mixed terrain 21km on my combo of 2.35FK front and 2.2AR rear (27.5).

All kinds of dry terrain - tarmac, dirt roads, doubletrack and flowing and also tight singletrack with loose rocks, loose soil, tight bermed turns, tight flat turns, dry gumleaves.

The only time the FK stumbled was on turns covered with dried leaves, which are slick as hell, and on loose rocks which will upset even an MX bike.

I really like the FK and the FK and AR combo rolls well and have enough traction for me.
    Less isn't MOAR

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast