Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    On my DT Swiss X1700 rims the 29x2.35" Forecaster measures:

56.23mm tire width
    56.08mm from the top of the rim to the top of the center knobby
    73.47mm from bottom of rim to top of knobby
    Perfect, thanks! My current Spesh Ground Control 2.3 measures 74mm and fits in between the seatstay arch fine, so that means I'm more than good with the Forekaster.

I have never owned a Maxxis tire - of any kind - before so hopefully it doesn't weep sealant like the Spesh GRID tires do.

Thanks again!

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I have never owned a Maxxis tire - of any kind - before so hopefully it doesn't weep sealant like the Spesh GRID tires do.

Thanks again!
    Maxxis tires are fantastic for not weeping. In fact they'll hold air like a champ without sealant, no puncture protection of course though.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just ordered a Forekaster 29, not sure what I am going to do with it... I am also getting a second wheelset with Flow MK3's, identical to my other so my two bikes will have interchangeable wheels. The current one id running an Ardent 2.4 f and ikon 2.35 r, and I am unsure if I should try an Ardent 2.4 f FK r, or try to get my hands on an Ardent Race 2.35, and then run Forekaster f Ardent Race 2.35 r on the new wheelset? Both bikes are SS, and the only issue with the Ikon's I have had is standing climbing up steep, slightly loose stuff, so Forekaster rear sounds great, however I have heard that the Ardent Race is considerably better with traction than the ikon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Just ordered a Forekaster 29, not sure what I am going to do with it... I am also getting a second wheelset with Flow MK3's, identical to my other so my two bikes will have interchangeable wheels. The current one id running an Ardent 2.4 f and ikon 2.35 r, and I am unsure if I should try an Ardent 2.4 f FK r, or try to get my hands on an Ardent Race 2.35, and then run Forekaster f Ardent Race 2.35 r on the new wheelset? Both bikes are SS, and the only issue with the Ikon's I have had is standing climbing up steep, slightly loose stuff, so Forekaster rear sounds great, however I have heard that the Ardent Race is considerably better with traction than the ikon.
    The AR does indeed provide more traction than the Ikon. I tend to like moderately agressive tires, and the Ikon didn't provide enough grip for me. The AR (29x2.35) is giving very good grip on rocky/rooty climbs. I have used a Nobby Nic and Spec Ground Control on the rear, and the AR provides climbing traction at least as good as those tires and probably better.

I'm really liking the Forekaster front, Ardent Race rear combo.

aka bOb
    Anyone get their grubby mitts on the 27.5 version yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm liking the Forekaster as a front tire overall. The only issue I've had is that it seems to wash out in sand a lot worse than I'd expect. Has anyone else experienced this?

mtbr member
    I just received my pair of 29x2.35 Forekasters to run front/back on my RIP9 in the high desert of SoCal. They weighed 740/748g which is pretty close to spec.

I won't have them mounted for a few weeks, but I will update this with my impressions after a few rides... Just looking at them, they look very similar to a Specialized Ground Control, and to me, that's a very good thing.

Hopefully they won't weep sealant like the Specialized GC Grid does, because that makes me weep too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I'm liking the Forekaster as a front tire overall. The only issue I've had is that it seems to wash out in sand a lot worse than I'd expect. Has anyone else experienced this?
    It does wash out worse compared to what tire you were used to? What kind of sand? Hardpack, loose, or loose over hard?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    It does wash out worse compared to what tire you were used to? What kind of sand? Hardpack, loose, or loose over hard?
    I'm mostly used to Nobby Nics, Ground Control, and Purgatory tires.

The Forekaster has great grip in nearly all conditions. My trails are mostly hardpack with plenty of roots and rocks, but there is also some loamy stuff, gravel, loose over hard, and some occasional sandy spots. The Forekaster has provided good grip in all those conditions except for the sandy patches. I know any tire will tend to wash out in sand, but the Forekaster surprised me with how quickly and easily it washed out, especially given its great grip everywhere else. I was never that surprised when I hit the sandy patches with my other tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Strange, as it really is not that much different to the other tires you mention. Also, in sand, my experience is that volume and pressure seem to have more influence than tire tread.

mtbr member
    Well, no way those Forekasters were going to sit around my house without getting installed, so on they went a few days ago and I have 3 rides on them at my home SoCal high desert, loose over hard, sand, pure rock, gnarly as hell terrain.

They are mounted tubeless on my RIP 9 on Race Face Aeffect wheels which are 23mm inner width. They installed without any issues, have not leaked/weeped a drop of sealant and are holding air perfectly. The width of the tread is 58.3mm on my rim, and I run 28F/32R psi. They have a nice profile that's more round than square, and there is no open area between the center and cornering knobs....... I like them, a lot.

The extra width compared to my previous Specialized Purgatory/Ground Control Grid 2.3s is noticeable. The EXO sidewall feels comparable to the Spesh Grid casing, and they came in 71g/97g lighter too. They are right at home on my trails, with plenty of climbing and braking grip. The best part is the transition knobs, as it makes corning in my terrain far more confidence inspiring........... It's very sketchy to get a whole lot of lean angle on my trails - think hard pack with kitty litter, BBs and marbles of all sizes on top.

My best description of the Forekasters is they look just like a moto tire.... Just good old fashioned knobs spaced apart from one another, ready to grab what they can........ There is no fancy "row of angled center knobs for less rolling resistance" or any other gimmicky designs that seem to litter the MTB tire market these days.

As for rolling resistance, I felt no difference whatsoever compared to the Purgatory/GC combo that they replaced. No worse, no better. I'm probably not the best guy to ask about rolling resistance as getting my 6' 215lbs up each climb is all the resistance I worry about, and that's enough for me.

I'll update with the results on their life span (I typically kill rear tires every 600 miles/4 months in my harsh conditions) or any other issues..... As I sit here typing this, I highly recommend the Forekasters for everyday aggressive trail riding.

My terrain:
    Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-crop2-min.jpg Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-3-min-min.jpg
    Last edited by D Bone; 08-27-2016 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I NEED the 27.5
    NOW!
    :-)

mtbr member
    Had my first couple of rides with the 29 Forekaster EXO mounted as a front tire.
    Bike: Turner Sultan 29er
    Wheels: Older Stans Arch with 19 mm inner width. (being replaced soon with wider rims)
    Rider: 220 lbs ready to ride with pack, etc., pretty fast on downhills (Top 2% on some Colorado trails), slower climber
    Setup - Tubeless, about 21 psi up front

Overall I really like the Forekaster as a front tire. Conditions out here range from very rocky, loose and dry to smoother sand over hardpack. It is almost never wet conditions except for snow melt season. The Forekaster absolutely blew away the Ardent 2.4's I was running in terms of cornering grip. My downhill times were noticeably faster and I was able to keep tighter lines in corners then with the Ardents. I haven't really pushed them to the limit yet since the conditions right now are extremely dry and loose and would like a little moisture first. The side knobs really dig in and are much bigger then the Ardent's. The volume is noticeably lower than the 2.4 Ardent's however but it is not really noticeable riding, at least up front. I don't notice a difference in rolling resistance but that is not easy to notice up front.

If it holds up well in the front for a few more hard rides I will probably replace the rear as well to see how they do. If they could produce this in a true 2.5 and keep the weight under 850 this would be just about the best all round tire out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    a bit off topic guys, but don't discount the maxxis beaver 2.25 on the wagon wheeler. i'll be trying a forecaster asap, but the beaver has been excellent as a rear tire on a transition smuggler. it was great in loose dust in the BC interior xc, and it's been fantastic on the west coast roots n rocks. i wince a bit going into a rock garden on descents due to my carbon rims, but so far no problems. grip at all angles has been good. not quite dhr good but very good. thanks for all the details about the forecaster, i may try them both front and back for a very climby set up.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    No, that's not what I am implying.

I meant to say that the Ardent is such a crap tire that Maxxis should fix it. Instead of fixing the Ardent, they released the Forekaster, which looks to address the Ardent's crappiness (huge dead zone, weak cornering knobs).

Did I mention I hate the Ardent??? LOL.
    Perhaps you were using the Ardent in areas it wasn't designed for. I used it for a long time. It's a good all around "XC" tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    This. Everyone raves about Maxxis Exo being strong but I can't make them last, constantly tearing sidewalls.
    Ditto. I run heavy pressure, about 36 psi, which prolly makes it more susceptible to cuts. I've been running the Double Down casing and it does much better for cuts. I can run 34psi just fine too.

mtbr member

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole View Post
    Perhaps you were using the Ardent in areas it wasn't designed for. I used it for a long time. It's a good all around "XC" tire.

The Ardent 2.2 is not very good except maybe as a XC tire. The 2.4 EXO is much better with bigger side knobs but still a little vague in transition when leaning it over. The thing I like about the 2.4 is its volume and the ability to run low pressure on wider rims. I use it as a rear tire in loser conditions on either a 24mm or 29mm internal width rims and run from 20-24 psi in them. Then they're not as susceptible to cutting.
    The 29er Forecaster looks good from a tread pattern standpoint and reminds me of the latest Nobby Nic. Regarding its volume it should be rocking the same casing as the Ardent 2.4 and Ikon 2.35. I'm very disappointed that it has the lower volume casing of the 2.3 Minions.
    I'd love to see this Forecaster as a 2.4 or 2.5 with the HV casing like the DHF 2.5 except it'd be around 900-925g swapping between the two as front tires. Then I'd run the smaller Forecaster in the rear or the big Ardent or my DHR2 2.3.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    Had my first couple of rides with the 29 Forekaster EXO mounted as a front tire.
    Bike: Turner Sultan 29er
    Wheels: Older Stans Arch with 19 mm inner width. (being replaced soon with wider rims)
    Rider: 220 lbs ready to ride with pack, etc., pretty fast on downhills (Top 2% on some Colorado trails), slower climber
    Setup - Tubeless, about 21 psi up front

Overall I really like the Forekaster as a front tire. Conditions out here range from very rocky, loose and dry to smoother sand over hardpack. It is almost never wet conditions except for snow melt season. The Forekaster absolutely blew away the Ardent 2.4's I was running in terms of cornering grip. My downhill times were noticeably faster and I was able to keep tighter lines in corners then with the Ardents. I haven't really pushed them to the limit yet since the conditions right now are extremely dry and loose and would like a little moisture first. The side knobs really dig in and are much bigger then the Ardent's. The volume is noticeably lower than the 2.4 Ardent's however but it is not really noticeable riding, at least up front. I don't notice a difference in rolling resistance but that is not easy to notice up front.

If it holds up well in the front for a few more hard rides I will probably replace the rear as well to see how they do. If they could produce this in a true 2.5 and keep the weight under 850 this would be just about the best all round tire out there.
    What rear tire are you using with the forekaster up front ?

mtbr member
    Running the Ardent 2.4 EXO in the rear. Going to replace it soon with another Forekaster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Maxxis employee here. Yes we are, 27.5x2.35 just landed and should be making its way out to distributors and shops over the next few weeks. 27.5x2.20 and 29x2.20 should be hitting the market shortly thereafter.
    Did the 27.7 x 2.35 get delayed? Been searching Euro & NA dealers for the last month and can not find any for sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i've also inquired and sent emails directly. no responses. it's a mystery tire.

mtbr member
    Anyone run both the Forecaster and Tomahawk in back? Comparison?
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

MTB B'dos
    Briefly ran a well used Tomahawk outback on my Phantom after running a Minion SS and then DHR2 and would have to say it rolled very good and had amazing traction for what it looks like, definitely much more than the SS, still good braking like the DHR2, but I honestly only had like 2 rides on it.
    Have been running a Forekaster since, tyre has truly impressed, fast rolling, yet amazing grip, great on a wide variety of surfaces. Actually, doesn't matter the situation, I haven't been able to spin/break it loose, no matter the surface, only place I haven't ridden it in yet is wet and that will soon change since we're getting some good rain - expect it will also perform very well in wet/muddy conditions, although not so sure on wet roots and rocks with the Dual compound, but we'll see..

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Has anyone tried a 29 Forekaster front with a 29x2.25 EXO Beaver in the back? I don't have any experience with the Beaver. I just don't want it to be grippier than the Maxxis Forekaster.

MTB B'dos
    Curious as to the why of that combo, seems to me they're a fairly similar tyre, frame have lack of clearance in the rear? Personally I'd be more looking to run it either as a matched set or with something a bit more XC in the rear like an Ikon or Crossmark.

Quote Originally Posted by asyluminc View Post
    Has anyone tried a 29 Forekaster front with a 29x2.25 EXO Beaver in the back? I don't have any experience with the Beaver. I just don't want it to be grippier than the Maxxis Forekaster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Has anyone been able to compare a 2.2 AR vs 2.2 FK in the rear matched to a 2.35 FK up front?

mtbr member
    Just ordered two Forekasters in 2.35 size for my Fargo for the winter. Thought about getting a 2.2 for the rear, but I suppose a matching set will be okay. No crazy fast cornering/sliding will be happening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I've run the Tomahawk on the rear of my SS Honzo for the last few weeks, not liking it much so going to get rid of it. Climbing out of the saddle on anything loose would have me spinning on the spot a lot (comparatively did not have this issue with a 2.35 icon or 2.4 x-king).

Rode it in some pretty wet conditions yesterday and it was hopeless climbing anything - was sliding all over the place in descents (in straight lines?!) and then would hook up like a boss in corners and when leaning it over. It was pretty hilarious but not something I could get used to.

Gonna go pick up a Forecaster today ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    i've also inquired and sent emails directly. no responses. it's a mystery tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Did the 27.7 x 2.35 get delayed? Been searching Euro & NA dealers for the last month and can not find any for sale.
    Not delayed and definitely available. We've got them sitting in our warehouse and available on our eStore but sometimes it takes a few weeks for tires to trickle out to the online and brick and mortar bike shops.
    Bicycle, Mountain, Forekaster
    Last edited by GTscoob; 10-24-2016 at 12:54 PM.

MTB B'dos
    How about the 2.6" version, will that only come out in 650B or 29" as well? Swear I heard/read it will be both, sure as hell hope so, 2.6" Forekaster would be a perfect tyre for a rigid that won't fit a 2.8" PLUS tyre, but still give a bit more cush than a 2.4" Ardent or 2.35" Ikon can give. Really liking the 2.35" as a rear on my Phantom, has worked well in a wide variety of trail surfaces and conditions, just need to find some to pair it up with to try as a faster more XC setup that still has braking traction to match.

Also noticed that they snuck in the 29"x2.35" Ignitor I had always been asking for, wondering how that'd compare to the Forekaster, expect kind of similar, but expect Forekaster would be a bit better in really loose/wet unless you do some knob trimming on the Ignitor, then who knows.

Not delayed and definitely available. We've got them sitting in our warehouse and available on our eStore but sometimes it takes a few weeks for tires to trickle out to the online and brick and mortar bike shops.
    Bicycle, Mountain, Forekaster¬*

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I gave up waiting and ordered a set of 27.5 in 2.25 and 2.35 from pushys. Took 13 days to get to my door in GA from the day I ordered them. It bothers me that I had to order from australia, when maxxis headquarters is 25 minutes down the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    How about the 2.6" version, will that only come out in 650B or 29" as well? Swear I heard/read it will be both, sure as hell hope so
    Only the 27.5x2.60WT Forekaster and Rekon have been confirmed.

mtbr member
    How about the 2.6" version, will that only come out in 650B or 29" as well? Swear I heard/read it will be both, sure as hell hope so, 2.6" Forekaster would be a perfect tyre for a rigid that won't fit a 2.8" PLUS tyre, but still give a bit more cush than a 2.4" Ardent or 2.35" Ikon can give. Really liking the 2.35" as a rear on my Phantom, has worked well in a wide variety of trail surfaces and conditions, just need to find some to pair it up with to try as a faster more XC setup that still has braking traction to match.

Also noticed that they snuck in the 29"x2.35" Ignitor I had always been asking for, wondering how that'd compare to the Forekaster, expect kind of similar, but expect Forekaster would be a bit better in really loose/wet unless you do some knob trimming on the Ignitor, then who knows.
    I currently have a 29x2.35 forekaster on the front of my rigid bike. For the weight, traction, durability, and rolling resistance, it's the best tire I've ever used. A 29x2.6 would be perfect though, assuming it wasn't too heavy. Planning on buying a 2.6 nobby nic, but I generally prefer maxxis tires and am hoping for a 29x2.6 forekaster.

MTB B'dos
    Have to say, this makes me very sad, no use for a narrower 650B option, for 650B, 2.8"> :-( Really have enjoyed the Forekaster like Coke said, weight, traction, durability have been an amazing combo.
    Only the 27.5x2.60WT Forekaster and Rekon have been confirmed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Finally got a ride in with the new tires. 27.5 forekasters with 2.35 front and 2.2 rear. When mounted, there only seems to be a slight difference in width (front vs rear). So far I'm loving them. Way more rear climbing traction than my previous 2.35 xr3 which was surprising. Mostly hardpack and loose over hard trails with abundant roots and rocks. The only spots these tires seemed challenged were on gravel or really loose sections. Coming from a 2.4 high roller and 2.35 xr3, I wasn't nearly as worn out at the end of a familiar ride. I'm sure that's due to the big weight reduction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    DHF 2.5 / 2.6 Forekaster rear sounds like a nice all around combo

mtbr member
    Would love a 2.6 forekastor in 29"

mtbr member
    Picked up my Forekasters at the LBS last week (29 x 2.35's) and just mounted them up tubeless. They look awesome, can't wait to try them out. Setup went surprisingly smooth on WTB Asym i29 rims with an oversize floor pump. Holding air good so far. Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    I gave up waiting and ordered a set of 27.5 in 2.25 and 2.35 from pushys. Took 13 days to get to my door in GA from the day I ordered them. It bothers me that I had to order from australia, when maxxis headquarters is 25 minutes down the road.
    Same here, I could not find the 27.5 for sale anywhere. Pushys was awesome often emailing me back within minutes. They shipped with a tracking No. one hour after I ordered. 12 days from OZ to Western Canada - I will be ordering from these guys again.
    Did you weigh your 2.25?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just mounted up Forecaster 29x 2.35 front and rear on my single speed. Significantly smaller than the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.35s that they replaced, but way better grip both cornering and climbing on the duffy trails I'm riding right now. Also not as shock absorbing, although I am running them at a bit higher pressure (mid 20s psi) than the Schwalbes. I'll see how much they stretch, and how low I can run them over the next few rides, but I love the feel of them.

Keep on Rockin...
    I'm looking for something with more grip than an Ardent 2.4 in the corners but rolls a bit faster than a DHRII

Think the Forkaster might be in between the two?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I'm looking for something with more grip than an Ardent 2.4 in the corners but rolls a bit faster than a DHRII

Yep, pretty much sums up the Forekaster........ I still don't know why people like the Ardent? At least not on my loose over hard meets sand meets rock meets hard pack terrain anyway.

MTB B'dos
    I would not include the Ardent in the same sentence as the Forekaster and DHR2, just no comparison. From what I can recall of my trials with Ardents, the Forekaster rolls as fast or faster than them, but grip is closer to the likes of the DHR2, excellent all round tyre, can't wait to see if they do a bigger version of it. My only request would be to offer it in the Double Down casing, as it definitely punches with the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

Yep, pretty much sums up the Forekaster........ I still don't know why people like the Ardent? At least not on my loose over hard meets sand meets rock meets hard pack terrain anyway.

mtbr member
    I would not include the Ardent in the same sentence as the Forekaster and DHR2, just no comparison. From what I can recall of my trials with Ardents, the Forekaster rolls as fast or faster than them, but grip is closer to the likes of the DHR2, excellent all round tyre, can't wait to see if they do a bigger version of it. My only request would be to offer it in the Double Down casing, as it definitely punches with the big boys.
    I am loving this tire. My set up right now on my Ripley LS is Forekaster front and DHR2 rear. The Forekaster really digs in a grips as a front tire. I was running them front and rear but hit some high speed rocky chunder and slashed a sidewall in the rear. Like you said this tire hangs with the big boys and a DD casing would be a nice option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Do you like it better with forekaster f/r or with the dhr2 in the rear ? Aside from the slash?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Based on this thread alone I've got a 2.35 Forekaster on order. To replace the HRII 2.30 I have on the front atm. I find the HRII a bit draggy on climbs and for general xc. Amazing at the gravity park but hard to live with on the day to day. Lots of chat on the internet about the the Ardent being rubbish up front. Without the Forekaster in the Maxxis range that really ruled out Maxxis for a decent aggressive xc tire. Their tires were either very aggressive or not aggressive enough. In the UK I found one shop on eBay with 3 forsale and no UK reviews. I guess that shows how new these tires are. I'll report back when I've got them on. FYI Ardent Race out back 2.20.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Do you like it better with forekaster f/r or with the dhr2 in the rear ? Aside from the slash?

Only have 3 rides with the DHR2 rear set up. But to answer your question I like it equal to the Forekaster front and rear. The set up now is a little more aggressive and works better for higher speed rocky chunder. The stiffer sidewall of the DHR2 helps give more confidence to hit the rocky stuff faster. It does roll a tad slower and is 100 grams heavier than the Forekaster. So both setups are excellent depending on your terrain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My bike came with the Crossmark in the rear and the Ardent in the front. Really looking hard at the Forekaster to replace both.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Mounted up Forekaster 27.5 x 2.35 as a front tire. This is a very low volume tire in height as well as width as its only 2.25" wide on LB carbon 23mm internal width rims. Disappointed its so narrow as the 2.25 Rocket Ron it replaced is also exactly 2.25" wide and the RR is a larger volume tire as well. I wonder how narrow the 2.20 is?
    The side walls are beefy on the Forekaster. As a front tire I didn't notice it any slower rolling than the RR, on the rear I am sure it would be noticeable. This is one great cornering tire, riding mostly damp but not sloppy mud trails and it really bits great.
    Also rode several greasing sidehills with wet roots and leaves and it sticks amazing well. I run the RR for XC and XC Marathon races, but its gonna be very hard to remove the Forekaster [despite it being 200 grams heavier ] and put the RR back on for racing as this tire just has amazing traction and rolls very well up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Same here, I could not find the 27.5 for sale anywhere. Pushys was awesome often emailing me back within minutes. They shipped with a tracking No. one hour after I ordered. 12 days from OZ to Western Canada - I will be ordering from these guys again.
    Did you weigh your 2.25?
    Nope, didn't weight either one. But yea, I had a good experience with Pushy's as well. Still loving these tires.

Killer b.
    I fitted a 2.35 Forekaster up front on my 28mm internal Nextie Carbon rims on my Norco Sight with a 2.3 Minion SS in back and did about 25 miles on it in Rotorua NZ on Saturday.

This is a great tire.
    It is light at under 700 grams, grips well at all lean angles, and rolls great. My only gripe is that it seems pretty small for a 2.35, but on the trail I really didn't notice that at all, after riding an 890 gram Aggressor and a 810 gram Tomahawk up front. I have a 2.2 en route from Pushys to go on the back. This should make for a light, great pedalling ride that does everything well. I'm even thinking of leaving them on for an enduro race in December.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ononecarbon456 View Post
    Based on this thread alone I've got a 2.35 Forekaster on order. To replace the HRII 2.30 I have on the front atm. I find the HRII a bit draggy on climbs and for general xc. Amazing at the gravity park but hard to live with on the day to day. Lots of chat on the internet about the the Ardent being rubbish up front. Without the Forekaster in the Maxxis range that really ruled out Maxxis for a decent aggressive xc tire. Their tires were either very aggressive or not aggressive enough. In the UK I found one shop on eBay with 3 forsale and no UK reviews. I guess that shows how new these tires are. I'll report back when I've got them on. FYI Ardent Race out back 2.20.
    Same here...I have also tried the DHR2 2.3 and the Ardent 2.4 up front, also got the AR 2.2 out back...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Any consensus on the forekaster as a rear?

MTB B'dos
    That's how I've been running mine paired with a DHF 2.3" on the front, love it, rolls really nice and can't say I really notice any loss of performance compared to the DHR2 I had on before, like having the speed of an Ikon, but grip of the DHR2, just as said, would love it with a DD casing to take a bit more abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Graveldad View Post

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Looked like a very promising tire for my XC riding, price in the all-right range, so I thought I'd give it a try despite lack of proper reviews. Clearly wasn't meant to be. Most local retailers aren't listing these tires on their website yet. Contacted one of those who are and they said they're expecting to receive them by the end of the year or first thing January.
    Too bad, since I needed a new tire ASAP.

The big question I haven't seen anyone ask in this thread: Has anyone been able to put some serious mileage into the tire yet? How is the tread durability? Does it survive tarmac and rocks?
    Hopefully not another Nobby Nic in terms of tread durability. That would be a bummer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That's how I've been running mine paired with a DHF 2.3" on the front, love it, rolls really nice and can't say I really notice any loss of performance compared to the DHR2 I had on before, like having the speed of an Ikon, but grip of the DHR2, just as said, would love it with a DD casing to take a bit more abuse.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. I've got 2.5/2.4 dhf/dhr2 on now and I'd like an easier rolling rear for everyday trail rides without giving up all the grip..

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Limited Garry View Post

The big question I haven't seen anyone ask in this thread: Has anyone been able to put some serious mileage into the tire yet? How is the tread durability? Does it survive tarmac and rocks?
    Hopefully not another Nobby Nic in terms of tread durability. That would be a bummer.
    I've had these front and rear on a rigid singlespeed, riding on a variety of trail surfaces. I think I've put approximately 800 miles on them so far and I haven't worn down through the siping yet. The rear was looking a little worn but still useable, so I gave it to a friend to try, moved my front to the rear, and put on a new front. Overall, they don't seem any less durable than other maxxis tires I've used.

No knobs have torn off.

Sidewalls seem good. It's fairly rocky here and I've had no issues. For reference, I can't make specialized control tires last here and with that brand I have to use grid casing for my local trails.

MTB B'dos
    Same here, run EXO Maxxis without issue, tried 1 SpecialED Control casing Purg and it lasted 3 rides. Only real reason I'm having issues with rears right now is a not so good back and legs and not really being able to move about properly on the bike, so rear is getting smashed into the coral and getting sidewall punctures from my bad riding technique. Figure the 2.3" in Double Down casing would top out somewhere around 900g max and be as bomb proof as it could get, probably more around 850g.

Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    ....Sidewalls seem good. It's fairly rocky here and I've had no issues. For reference, I can't make specialized control tires last here and with that brand I have to use grid casing for my local trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I've had these front and rear on a rigid singlespeed, riding on a variety of trail surfaces. I think I've put approximately 800 miles on them so far and I haven't worn down through the siping yet. The rear was looking a little worn but still useable, so I gave it to a friend to try, moved my front to the rear, and put on a new front. Overall, they don't seem any less durable than other maxxis tires I've used.

No knobs have torn off.

Sidewalls seem good. It's fairly rocky here and I've had no issues. For reference, I can't make specialized control tires last here and with that brand I have to use grid casing for my local trails.
    Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Not really afraid about straight up damage to the tire. Just the tread wear. During the summer, I do over 1000km a month easy, so that is definitely a huge concern to me, even though I intend to use this as a front tire.

Was running Ikon both rear and front, but I've seen most of the interesting places in 40km radius so I have a lot of stuff I can just get into and ride. My rides are getting more aggressive now and I need more grip.

I already had to go for Ardent as a front, kept a very slightly worn Ikon on the rear. However, the Ardent probably won't exactly be my kind of tire and the Ikon, while great, doesn't suit my needs fully.
    I expect to run the rest of the Ikon down before the season starts, so for next year, I'm thinking something along the lines of Forekaster front, Ardent Race rear. Will either sell the Ardent or keep it as "just in case" tire.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've had one for about 150 miles as a front on both my squishy and rigid SS. Its a good tire. In terms of grip and feel it falls between the 2.35 Ikon and the DHR; more forgiving, less on/off than the HR2 and DHF.

Its undersized vs Bonty and Schwalbe 2.35's for sure.

Compared to the NN, I prefer the NN. NN brakes a little better and has bigger cornering knobs. FK rolls faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mines landed. Will report back in due course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-2016-11-09-15.08.58.jpg  

Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

Killer b.
    First ride last night with 2.35 up front and 2.2 rear. Norco Sight Carbon with i28 Nextie carbon rims. Two weeks ago I was riding the same trails with an Aggressor front and Tomahawk rear. Then the bike felt solid and sure footed but fairly sluggish and overshod for the trails I ride. Changing to the Forekasters has removed 375 grams of rotating weight and the bike has been transformed. It feels fast and poppy, but still planted. The Forekasters don't have the outright grip of the old combo, but it just feels right.... like it should have all along.
    I love these tires.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Anyone know where to get a 27.5, 2.35 Forekaster?

mtbr member
    Anyone know where to get a 27.5, 2.35 Forekaster?
    Universal Cycle. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=84461

mtbr member
    I have 459 miles on my set of 29x2.35s F/R and I will easily get well over 600. You can see the terrain that I ride on in post #111........ Damn impressive and way better than any other tire I have used, and it isn't even close.

Rear tire:

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20161110_114814-min.jpg

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20161110_114841-min.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can someone comment on a F-dhf and R-forekaster combo. I have both a DHF and DHR2 and want to run with a forekaster rear. Whisch front do you think will be better.

I ride a Yeti 5.5c 29er and ride in SoCal on dry and rocky trials. I climb alot and was running the DHF and DHR2 combo. I wanted a faster rolling rear and wondering which pair would give me the least rolling resistance. I have run the DHF upfront on my last 3 bikes and was wondering what running a DHR2 is like vs the DHF.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Universal Cycle. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=84461

Thanks!

MTB B'dos
    That's the combo I've been running since I got my Forekaster and it's work well for me so far, was running DHR2/DHF before and also Tomahawk/DHF, MinionSS/DHR2. I think the DHF on the front is the ultimate for grip in nearly all conditions, the DHR2 is about as good and better depending on what you like or want. I'd say since you have both, give them a both a shot and see which you prefer

Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    Can someone comment on a F-dhf and R-forekaster combo. I have both a DHF and DHR2 and want to run with a forekaster rear. Whisch front do you think will be better.

I ride a Yeti 5.5c 29er and ride in SoCal on dry and rocky trials. I climb alot and was running the DHF and DHR2 combo. I wanted a faster rolling rear and wondering which pair would give me the least rolling resistance. I have run the DHF upfront on my last 3 bikes and was wondering what running a DHR2 is like vs the DHF.

mtbr member

I honestly couldn't tell much difference on my trails between a 2.3 DHF and 2.3 DHRII up front. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly the DHRII/DHRII combo was fairly fast considering the amount of traction it had. I recently tried a 2.5DHF/Forekaster combo. Lots of fun and amazing grip, but the rolling resistance and weight was just too much on my rigid SS.

mtbr member
    Running a 2.4 DHR2 front/ 2.35 Ikon rear. The dhr2 is my favorite front tire I've ever been on. Ikon needs to go though, need more braking out back

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Have been running this tire front and rear the last few months. 29x2.35 EXO/TR version on Velocity Blunt SS rims (26.6mm internal). They were just over 2.25 when I first mounted them, haven't had the chance to measure since. Overall I really like it as a rear tire. Rolls pretty well and haven't had any issues with traction in the rear. Going to be switching to a DHF 2.3 up front here pretty soon though, seems like some of yall have had good results with that combo. Just looking for more grip up front. For reference I ride in the front range of CO, pretty rocky and loose everywhere.
    Niner RIP 9 Alloy

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So got a ride in with my DHF 2.3 and Forekaster 2.35 on 30id rims.

I really like this as a rear tire, it has better RR than the DHR2 it replaced but i didnt feel i lost any traction at all while climbing. I have not had much downhill time on the tire yet but i am liking it so far.

Going to try my DHR2 on the front to see how I like that combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any word on the 2.6 650b version availability yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any word on the 2.6 650b version availability yet?

End of Q1 or early Q2

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thats eons away

mtbr member
    Thats eons away

If you're 12, then yes...

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Are we there yet?

mtbr member
    Are we there yet?

Almost, just have to finish up. In the meant time I am going to try a specialized purgatory 2.6

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Can anyone help me real quick? I think I goofed.

My wife asked me what I wanted for xmas and I said a Forekaster 27.5x2.35.

I have been looking up the specs on my wheels, and it looks like they have a inner width of 19mm (Alex TD26). I am and plan on running tubed until I can upgrade my wheelset.

Everything that I can find is basically telling me that I need a wider wheel to run a 2.35 on a 19mm IW wheel, but the information is conflicting because it is mostly talking about running tubeless.

The plan as of now is to run the 2.25 Ardent that came with the bike on the rear, donate the Crossmark to charity and have the Forekaster on the front.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    It'll work, you'll just have to run a higher pressure to compensate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My 29x2.35 Forecasters run just over 2.2. Should be fine on a 19mm rim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mfn_pie View Post
    Can anyone help me real quick? I think I goofed.

My wife asked me what I wanted for xmas and I said a Forekaster 27.5x2.35.

I have been looking up the specs on my wheels, and it looks like they have a inner width of 19mm (Alex TD26). I am and plan on running tubed until I can upgrade my wheelset.

Everything that I can find is basically telling me that I need a wider wheel to run a 2.35 on a 19mm IW wheel, but the information is conflicting because it is mostly talking about running tubeless.

The plan as of now is to run the 2.25 Ardent that came with the bike on the rear, donate the Crossmark to charity and have the Forekaster on the front.
    Your fine because the 27.5 x 2.35 is way under sized. Actual width is 2.25.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadnreturn View Post
    My 29x2.35 Forecasters run just over 2.2. Should be fine on a 19mm rim.
    How much wider do you think it would be on a 25 IW rim?

I want to get the 2.35, but not if it's wider than 59mm (OCD parameter), on my 25 IW rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    How much wider do you think it would be on a 25 IW rim?

I want to get the 2.35, but not if it's wider than 59mm (OCD parameter), on my 25 IW rim.

I have a 29x2.35 Forekaster on my 30mm id wheels. They have been on for two months. Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_3684.jpgAnyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_3686.jpg

mtbr member
    I have a 29x2.35 Forekaster on my 30mm id wheels. They have been on for two months. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3684.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	1105702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3686.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1105703

10x

Think that says 58.50?

mtbr member
    10x

Think that says 58.50?

Sorry bad lighting. Haha. Yes 58.50mm or 2.3 inches

MTB B'dos
    Can confirm, 58.5mm at the knobs on a i29 rim for at least 2 months now. Only thing I want is them in a DD casing.

How much wider do you think it would be on a 25 IW rim?I want to get the 2.35, but not if it's wider than 59mm (OCD parameter), on my 25 IW rim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So got a ride in with my DHF 2.3 and Forekaster 2.35 on 30id rims.

I really like this as a rear tire, it has better RR than the DHR2 it replaced but i didnt feel i lost any traction at all while climbing. I have not had much downhill time on the tire yet but i am liking it so far.

Going to try my DHR2 on the front to see how I like that combo.

I really like this combo for fast but aggressive in loose riding. Works great with the fallen leaves and some mushy corners. Very little trade off from the DHF. Both front and rear seem to lock up and skid about the same time so at least it's very predictable.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Sorry bad lighting. Haha. Yes 58.50mm or 2.3 inches

Those calipers measure in mm, inches and furlongs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Yes they measure in every unit. What are you asking?????

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Got the tire in today, mounted up no problems. Seems pretty dainty size wise (those side knobs are huge though). It may be that I am used to seeing a 2.1 Crossmark on the rear, now my 2.25 Ardent will be doing rear tire duty.

Looking forward to putting it through the paces. I'll try to get some pics once the tire settles a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Fractions. The F stands for fractions.

loud hubs save lives

Just mounted up a pair front and rear on some ~24mm id rims and am slightly disappointed in the size.

I ripped both a goma and a tomahawk ( which was pretty much destroyed already ) in the last 2 weeks and decided to give these a try.

I usually run a beefier tire up front and the forekaster looks very small compared to the 2.4 Goma I removed, which was over 2.4 after it stretched.

I measured 2.125 at the caseing and 2.25 at the widest part of the knobs. Here's hoping for traction and some stretching.
    Last edited by sennaster; 11-16-2016 at 09:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Had the first ride on mine yesterday. Where I ride there is a lot of sand so having the higher volume Ardent in the rear definitely helps when it comes to the sugar sand not sapping my momentum.

I'm impressed with the Forekaster. Bike feels more responsive, more predictable, practically point and shoot. I did get a flat though, found a pinhole in the tube. It might be time to go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Running the FK 2.35 up front and AR 2.20 out back, for me works well. The HR2 2.30 I had on the front before was a beast of a tire compared to the AR at the rear and overkill for the type of riding I do. But at the time there was no middle option between the ikon and the HR2. Didn't even entertain the idea of the Ardent up front, too many bad reviews. The HR2 is no doubt a good tire for gravity parks etc. But for me was just too draggy and while offering stacks of grip made the riding feel labored. The FK offers enough grip to keep out to trouble and is significantly lighter than the HR2 to notice the difference. I've tried the FK over varied terrain in varied conditions. From Trail Center hardpack to natural trails, consisting of loose rock, mud sand. It never felt sketchy or loose.

I think if I did visit a gravity park I'd move the FK to the rear and put the HR2 back up front. That would be an awesome combination.

I recorded some figures when swapping over. 29mm ID roval rims, the HR2 had less than 100 miles on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-2016-11-10-12.44.42.jpg  

Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Forekaster 2.2

I have 2 questions for everyone.

Why should/would someone go from a partially worn out Ardent 2.25 dc to a Forekaster 2.35/2.2 in the rear? Equal rolling resistance, less weight, better braking in loose?

Does the knobs of the 2.2 version stick out past the carcass or no?

Thanks.

MTB B'dos
    Because they want a tyre that's not just mediocre at everything at best and good really at nothing. The Forekaster is like the Polar Opposite of the Ardent, good at so many things I'm currently running mine in the rear TUBED, I haven't voluntarily run a tube in a bike, except to get home in over 7 years, it's just that good and can't afford a new one and can't get the hole I put in the side above the bead to fully seal. Only wish is for it in the Double Down casing for use with nasty coral who aren't managing to ride as accurately as we used to right now or for those who only know how to bash straight at/through stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ljcap View Post
    I have 2 questions for everyone.

Why should/would someone go from a partially worn out Ardent 2.25 dc to a Forekaster 2.35/2.2 in the rear? Equal rolling resistance, less weight, better braking in loose?

Does the knobs of the 2.2 version stick out past the carcass or no?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Forecaster didn't work for me on the rear riding loose over hard pack. Too much spacing between knobs ...tore casing --not sidewall --twice. One datapoint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    The Forecaster didn't work for me on the rear riding loose over hard pack. Too much spacing between knobs ...tore casing --not sidewall --twice. One datapoint.

Damn, you jinxed me! I cut my rear Forekaster a couple of days ago...... 1st tire I've ever cut through the sidewall.

No LBS stocks the Forekaster and I didn't feel like waiting over the weekend for Amazon/Jenson, so I bought a High Roller II 29x2.30 to replace it. It's heavier, but the sidewall is also sturdier..... I'll see how it rolls, grips and lasts. (in no particular order)

MTB B'dos
    He said he cut his in the actual tread, not on the casing (sidewall), which is something I wondered about with how spaced the knobs are, but I haven't had this issue yet on our coral or on a 4 day trip to CO, but hence why I am hoping for it to also be released in the DD casing option which would take it up to about 900g and build like a tank.

I can tell you all that, especially if it's the 3C version - MUCH SLOWER rolling, grip wise, depends on the conditions, definitely should find more confidence in/on the wet

Damn, you jinxed me! I cut my rear Forekaster a couple of days ago...... 1st tire I've ever cut through the sidewall. No LBS stocks the Forekaster and I didn't feel like waiting over the weekend for Amazon/Jenson, so I bought a High Roller II 29x2.30 to replace it. It's heavier, but the sidewall is also sturdier..... I'll see how it rolls, grips and lasts. (in no particular order)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast