mtbr member
    May 2011

Anyone prefer Higher Tire Pressure on their Tubeless Setup?

I keep trying lower pressure on my tubeless tires and always go back to running higher.

I'm still not getting the whole low air pressure argument for Tubeless Tires. I will give in to that it's more comfortable, better traction climbing, and may have less rolling resistance on rough terrain at slower speeds. But they feel dead under me when I get into high speed, rough situations.

Firmer tires feel more responsive, side knobs bite better, don't squirm, rebound quicker off of harsh terrain, and roll faster on smoother terrain.

Maybe lower pressure is better for slower riding and higher pressure for faster riding?

Anyone else prefer running their tubeless tires a little firmer than the norm? Mine seem to perform the best at 32-35PSI.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    When talking tire pressure you should mention rider weight. I am 125lbs. I had been running 25-28psi up until recently and noticed that on faster trails the front end felt squishy. My last two rides I bumped the pressure up to 30-33 and it feels nice and crisp. Could probably get more grip if I learned to lean more aggressively.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 180 Pounds

35 PSI Rear
    32 PSI Front

Seems to be the sweat spot for my 2.35 TCS Tires.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I keep trying lower pressure on my tubeless tires and always go back to running higher.

I'm still not getting the whole low air pressure argument for Tubeless Tires. I will give in to that it's more comfortable, better traction climbing, and may have less rolling resistance on rough terrain at slower speeds. But they feel dead under me when I get into high speed, rough situations.

Firmer tires feel more responsive, side knobs bite better, don't squirm, rebound quicker off of harsh terrain, and roll faster on smoother terrain.

Maybe lower pressure is better for slower riding and higher pressure for faster riding?

Anyone else prefer running their tubeless tires a little firmer than the norm? Mine seem to perform the best at 32-35PSI.
    Run 'em where they work for you.

I run the pressures a bit higher in tubeless tires compared to the same tires with tubes. Still lower than your range.

I generally select pressure by feel on the trail, though if you are looking for the fastest/quickest setup you need to do timed runs at different pressures. What feels fast or slow is many times the opposite by the clock.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    This really is dependent on the TIRE! Tires with weaksauce sidewalls are going to run better at higher pressures regardless of tubeless. More FR/DH tire designs (good sidewall support) work FAR better at very low pressures tubeless.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    220 lbs on 29" Arch EXs with 2.55 WWLT's (first gen).
    24 psi Ft
    25 psi Rear

COTA member
    I like 25psi on my HT w/Geax AKA 2.2" (not running the TNT model). Anything more and I am bouncing. I weigh 160lbs.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    This really is dependent on the TIRE! Tires with weaksauce sidewalls are going to run better at higher pressures regardless of tubeless. More FR/DH tire designs (good sidewall support) work FAR better at very low pressures tubeless.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    More that you HAVE to use lower pressures with DH tires because they are so rigid, and they will still feel dead.

I will take a supple casing any day and use the pressures that work, whatever that may be. Better ride, more grip, livelier feel, even when the measured pressure is higher than a DH tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I'm with stupid
    I always run more pressure then my friends I cant stand the feeling of a squishy tire exp. in the rear. I run in the mid 30's on UST trail kings and 35 plus in the hans damps. Big pillows under my bike never feel right and can hide a crappy suspension tune.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did a little experiment today.

Started off with 35 / 32 PSI and rode to the trail head. Ran for awhile and let some air out. Well, the tires felt great over the bumps and gripped nicely. But, I noticed that they rolled slower. I got to the top and headed down. Tires felt good and absorbed chatter, but they just didn't feel safe to corner hard or brake late. I was going slower and felt like I had to be more cautious.

I really like how the lower pressures feel but I can't get used to the looser feeling when riding aggressively.

I generally run my suspension on the firmer side too.

Dropshot Champ!
    Definitely depends on weight and tire size. The people you see running low 20's are usually on high volume 29er tires. I'm heavier than you and run 30-32 front / 32 rear on my 26fs.

On my 29er ht, I'm sitting at 24 front and rear.

Gotta find that sweet spot between absorbing chatter and not getting tire squirm.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Definitely depends on weight and tire size. The people you see running low 20's are usually on high volume 29er tires. I'm heavier than you and run 30-32 front / 32 rear on my 26fs.

On my 29er ht, I'm sitting at 24 front and rear.

Gotta find that sweet spot between absorbing chatter and not getting tire squirm.
    I ride with a few guys on 29rs and they run really low pressures too. Their tires aren't very aggressive, XC, so there are no large side knobs to fold over.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm 225 lbs and using my first set of tubeless (29"). Doing 30 psi front and rear. I'm going to drop a few pounds in each tire and see how I like it. Its a beefy (Bontrager 29-4 2.3) tire and feels fully inflated at 30 psi.

mtbr member
    I never run my tubeless tires anywhere near low enough to feel the rim on a drop or big rock. Long before that happens, the tire becomes mushy and I don't like the handling feel or perceived rolling resistance.

I weigh 175 pounds and generally run a large volume 26" tire at 26 psi front, 29 psi rear on a full suspension bike. A lower volume tire I would run around 28F / 32 R. I do have several riding buddies that are in the low-mid 20 psi range. I've also never burped a tire, and they have.

Happy Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Run 'em where they work for you.

What feels fast or slow is many times the opposite by the clock.
    This.

With Strava, it's pretty easy to do some time trials. Always impossible to say exactly why one ride is faster than the other, but data is knowledge and knowledge is power.

Me: 175 psig and 29/28 psig on FS and HT 29ers.

usually cranky
    i like mine a little firmer too. 2.3 wtb at ~30 front, ~2.2 conti at ~32 rear. im 150 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: Anyone prefer Higher Tire Pressure on their Tubeless Setup?

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    +1

After six years on tubeless my current riding style and tyre preference is taking me back to tubes. Tubeless Ready almost never works for me on the front because it is too squirmy. The selection of full UST tyres is poor. Certainly on the front I like the feel I'm getting from a fairly aggressive tubed tyre.

Conti Baron 2.3 has been good tubed. Bontrager xr4 tlr and Specialized purgatory control 2bliss with tubes can be good. Storm control 2.1 I can run tubeless both ends and it is great for loamy conditions and fairly aggressive riding at higher pressures.

I'll quite enjoy a fast rolling, high volume tubeless tyre on the back but the pressures stay supportive rather than airbag softness.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

dwt
    mtbr member

I have always had success with Stan's tire pressure formula:

Front = rider weight in pounds divided by 7 plus 1

Rear = rider weight in pounds divided by 7 plus 2

http://www.notubes.com/help_center_tire_pressure.aspx
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbpete
    I used to ride 40 to 50 psi with my skinny tires, skinny rims and tubes! That was rough!

There are a lot of variables with tire pressure. - Your weight, size of the tire (air volume), the rim you are using (wider rim = lower pressure), type of tire (1 ply, 2 ply..., tpi, protection,...), stiffness of sidewall, the type of riding your doing, terrain your riding... In general the larger the volume (labelled tire size does not necessarily = casing width) and stiffer the tire the less pressure you need. If you feel the tire folding in a corner then the pressure is probably too low. If your hitting the rim then the pressure is too low. If your riding a very smooth surface then a little higher pressure can reduce rolling resistance. One example from the bikes I'm riding:

Crest 29er rims
    Geax Suguaro 29x2.2 tires (large volume and stiff sidewall)
    My weight with gear = 170lbs
    Never more than 23 psi front and rear. I've checked with a gauge as well.

The low sidewall of the rim makes the tire fully expand, and with the stiffness of the tire sidewall - when you squeeze the tire you would think that there's 30+ psi. I've run as low as 20 psi, but felt the tires folding in fast g-out sections of xc races. If I was riding in terrain with very fast rocky square-edge descents I would probably raise the pressure a little to protect the rim from dents.

mtbr member
    145 lbs. 25 front 30 rear