mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Anyone have experiences with Maddux wheels?

Anyone own or have experience with this "Maddux" wheels over at Pricepoint? They have a tubeless wheelset for like 270 bucks....

-ER

WTF
    I am looking at those wheels too. (x-mas ) I can't find any reviews on them. no results using a search on this site. They look solid and the weight is reasonable.
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah, but I really wonder how they can spec a 250 dollar UST wheelset. Not to mention that a 24 hole wheel isn't confidence inspiring either....

jmw
    mtbr member
    so is the Maddux brand a PricePoint house brand?

I see their latest wheelset has a 20mm rim for a 29er wheelset....
    seems narrow
    future nature

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought a set of these a couple of weeks ago, easily installed them on my Trek Fuel and tested them over the weekend, bombing down very rocky Central Texas trails for 4-5 hours. Overall, I'm very pleased with these (Cross Pro MX300 UST Disc) and highly recommend them to anyone who can live without a Mavic sticker. They are reasonably light, well made, true and VERY fast. The lettering on the decals is butt ugly but it's kind of growing on me in a subterfuge, homebrew kind of way.

mtbr member
    Wheels aren't supposed to break after 4-5 hours of hard use. I'd trust them more they were pricepoint housebrand but they don't seems to be... seems to be some small name taiwanese manufacturer. It seems they've been around the better part of 10 yrs and despite very competitive prices, haven't become very popular. I'll shell out a little more money to save my bones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    Wheels aren't supposed to break after 4-5 hours of hard use. I'd trust them more they were pricepoint housebrand but they don't seems to be... seems to be some small name taiwanese manufacturer. It seems they've been around the better part of 10 yrs and despite very competitive prices, haven't become very popular. I'll shell out a little more money to save my bones.
    Getting back to the question, yes I own them and have experience with them. They did not come out of true and performed very well with no problems. If I worked for Mavic I suppose I'd tell you to be afraid, be very afraid, but I don't so I'm just telling you my experience. If I was full of fear I suppose being a mountain biker wouldn't work out anyway.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    My Devinci Tosca SL1 (cyclocross) came with Maddux DM 18 rims (700c). For reference. the hubs are Formula sealed (I have to say, I like them), and the spokes appear to be single butted (if that is even a word, not double butted anyways). I don't know if my rims are just crazy strong, but I can't believe the beating I put on those rims and they are true. I came from a FS XC background and started doing the trails with this CX and both rims are perfectly true with factory "shitty" truing. I have smashed barriers, thrown my bike, hit curbs, pitched over logs, done "rocky" downhills and lots of other stupid things and these rims are still true ... I am nowhere NEAR smooth on my CX bike. I actually built up a DT 240s / DT spoke / Mavic Open Pro wheelset to replace them when I bought the bike but haven't needed to (not much of a weight fanatic).

Hmm, I should probably say how much use the wheels have: around 1 year and over 6,000km (i'd say 80% road as a guess)
    Last edited by ettore; 04-17-2009 at 04:21 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel70Austin
    Getting back to the question, yes I own them and have experience with them. They did not come out of true and performed very well with no problems. If I worked for Mavic I suppose I'd tell you to be afraid, be very afraid, but I don't so I'm just telling you my experience. If I was full of fear I suppose being a mountain biker wouldn't work out anyway.
    He's actually trying to point out that people think it's helpful to give and ratings the moment they get an item, or soon after.

That's why the reviews here suck, let alone, buying the wheels, bringing back a thread from 07, and then telling people that you had them for basically one day of use and you highly recommend them. There are people that wait at least they put down hundreds, if not, thousands of miles down before they recommend wheels.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 04-17-2009 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So, how have these wheels held up after all those years? Do you still recommend them?

I have recently turned weight weenie and am looking to purchase them from pricepoint. Yay or nay?

mtbr member
    I have a set that are going back as for some reason the rear wheel will not hold air for very long. I've installed 3 different sets of tires with sealant. During a ride I'll need to stop at least two times to add air. Sitting in the garage there fine it seems just to be while there under pressure. The only thing I can think of is possibly a bad rim bead? My Mavic 819 and Bonty Race Lites have had no issues. All in all there not a bad wheel set, they run nice and true and the hubs are almost silent. Just keep in mind they only have 16 POE. I'm sending them back for a replacement set. No one ever seems to coment on them after the purchase so I'm not sure how well there holding up?

Roc
    mtbr member
    I've been beating the snot out of the 29er version for 2 years. So far so good. I definitely don't take it easy on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have experiences with Maddux wheels?-maddux2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the heads up on how they hold up. I was debating between those and the Mavic Crossride disc. I'm not a diehard mavic fan, but just comparing them. What eventually sold me on the mavics was that I decided not to go tubeless and that I could get the Mavics at Performance, with their great warranty

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thats a nice looking 29er. How do you like the rigid fork over suspension? I recently ordered a rigid fork to save weight. Any riding tips to keep my chin off the bars?

Roc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tnevaneb
    thats a nice looking 29er. How do you like the rigid fork over suspension? I recently ordered a rigid fork to save weight. Any riding tips to keep my chin off the bars?
    Thanks. I both love and hate rigid forks. The $30.00 Zion fork probably isn't the best fork a lot people claim it to be rather noodly, I tried a much stiffer Surly and didn't like it I found it too harsh. Rigid is great for climbing especially SS, then again rigid can beat the crap out of you when it comes to the rough, it helps to have wider bars and a fatter front tire for some cushion, and a lot less wrist pain. I think the real way to go as far as rigid goes is a carbon fork it's not suspension by any means but it seems to calm some of trail chatter and it's very light. In comparison to my 26" FS bike picking good lines becomes a necessary skill. Rigid definitely is not for everyone but worth trying. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did order a carbon fork, I have one on my road bike and love it as compared to aluminum. Thats why when I was switching to rigid for the HardRock, I knew it had to be carbon, also I turned WW, so CF is the only weigh to go :P

the one I ordered is this one: http://www.beyondbikes.com/itemdesc....06&eq=&Tp=&Av=

The reviews on it said that it was a good rigid and under 700g

Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You get what you pay for. I am light weight rider but ride pretty hard on rocky trails in CO and my pair lasted about a year. Spokes started snapping and bearing went bad. So definitely did not compare to other mid level wheels I have had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a set that is in need of grease and I can;t figure out how to disassemble them. Any help on that would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Roc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiklaw
    I have a set that is in need of grease and I can;t figure out how to disassemble them. Any help on that would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    2nd that, I too would like to know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    From what I have seen these "Maddux" wheels come on Cannondale Lower End MTB's They used to be called "Jalco". They have a website: MADDUX

I had a pair of Jalcos on my Cdale F5. They weren't bad, they weren't great. However since the name change and the buyout they probably are better now. Or at least that's what should happen when a company changes...

My 26er wheels had 14g spokes that broke ( 100kg rider ) and had to be replaced more often than I would have liked. But then I got a truing stand and tension meter and stopped going to retarded LBS to get it fixed. Once I rebuilt most of the wheel it was fine no problems. Stayed true, great rolling effect.

Once the rim got DINGED big time. However with a rubber mallet and wood blocks I taught it a lesson and all was good.

The hub was extremely basic but functional. I ran the poop out of those things for 3 seasons! For the price I can imagine getting a lot worse.

My overall impression was that things are heavy, generic, bomb proof. If you race or you just need to have expensive stuff on your bike go with something else. Otherwise...

The newer Maddux I see at least for 29er's has 15g spokes and a formula hub ( SS ). Still heavy but I just got a another Single Speed pair for $60 on ebay. I just can't justify putting $500+ wheels on any MTB. Especially if you are not a pro rider.