Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Save Jesus

Anybody tried automotive tire bead sealant?

It's the stuff you see people gopping on the bead of car tires before mounting them. I think it's supposed to start slippery, and dry up rubbery. More viscous than Stan's, and doesn't contain little particles that can cause bead leaks. This is for mounting the tires only, not to use as a sealant for punctures.

transmitter~receiver
    I've been using and recommending moldbuilder latex, which sounds exactly like what you're describing, for some time now. it has never failed to allow any tubeless set up (stan's rims, regular rims + tape, split-tube, etc.) to seat with a floor pump, first time. I have also not burped any tire on any tubeless set-up since starting to use it (though I had previously only burped a tire once while riding a tire that was WAY too low in trying to finish a race).
    A buddy of mine turned me on to it and it is worth its weight in gold for setting up tubeless.

Last edited by meltingfeather; 09-01-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    I've been using and recommending moldbuilder latex, which sounds exactly like what you're describing, for some time now. it has never failed to allow any tubeless set up (stan's rims, regular rims + tape, split-tube, etc.) to seat with a floor pump, first time. I have also not burped any tire on any tubeless set-up since starting to use it (though I had previously only burped a tire once while riding a tire that was WAY too low in trying to finish a race).
    A buddy of mine turned me on to it and it is worth its weight in gold for setting up tubeless.

So the answer is No

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    So the answer is No
    thanks for pointing out what a 5th grader could have. that's valuable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag
    It's the stuff you see people gopping on the bead of car tires before mounting them. I think it's supposed to start slippery, and dry up rubbery. More viscous than Stan's, and doesn't contain little particles that can cause bead leaks. This is for mounting the tires only, not to use as a sealant for punctures.
    What exactly are you asking?

The stuff that you see "gopping on the bead of car tires before mounting them" is a lubricant to help prevent damage to the bead of the tire during mounting and make it easier to seat the beads.
    It serves no purpose as any kind of sealant.

Is there something else you are referring to?

mtbr member
    meltingfeather...where would I find this latex mold builder locally? Is this something found at a hobby/craft store or is it more of a Home Depot type product? That valve is still giving me problems and I think I may take your advice and see if this fixes the issue.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mold builder's latex is definitely a craft store type item. I bought mine at Michael's.
    Got some strange looks buying 2 quarts of that and nothing else from the pretty young lady working the register.
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Salami
    Is there something else you are referring to?
    No, I am referring to "bead sealer" or "bead sealant". Search the internet- you will see many products.

http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=13

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    So the answer is No
    Exactly! I have to laugh at all this paint brushing on bead sealants. For crying out loud peeps - soapy water lubes the beads plenty well to mount tubeless no problemo and if Stan's is too expensive for ya then just make some homebrew. What is up with all the UNNECESSARY tomfoolery???

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Save Jesus
    I've been using and recommending moldbuilder latex, which sounds exactly like what you're describing, for some time now.
    This seems interesting.
    How lubricating is it?
    How fast does it dry out and stop lubricating?
    When it dries, is it sticky like rubber cement?
    How well does it clean off?

Thanks

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    It's just soapy water, dude. And probably a little pond scum growing on top, too.

It's just to keep the tire machine's lever from catching on a dry rubber bead and ripping it, and to help the bead to slip onto the wheel, and then when you hit it with the air, to help the tire to slip up onto the area where it's supposed to seat without taking so much air pressure that you blow the lip off the wheel with a loud "bang". It also reveals a bead that is not fully seated with little soapy bubbles.

Save Jesus
    Did you look at my link or do a web search?
    I don't think it's simply a lubricant.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    Exactly! I have to laugh at all this paint brushing on bead sealants. For crying out loud peeps - soapy water lubes the beads plenty well to mount tubeless no problemo and if Stan's is too expensive for ya then just make some homebrew. What is up with all the UNNECESSARY tomfoolery???

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I went to latex after soapy water didn't cut it. It's not about lubing the bead but about the viscocity of the latex being the extra bit you need to trap enough air to get the tire inflated. I went from some set-ups being big hassles, even with 30 gallons of air at 175 psi and plenty of soapy water, to first time floor pump set-up every time.
    An added benefit is ease of adding sealant and reinflating, because in general the bead stays put when painted with latex rather than popping off and having to be reseated.
    My Stan's rims inflate without soapy water, so is soapy water tomfoolery?
    Using the latex has VASTLY improved my tubeless set-up experience, with all different kinds of tubeless set-ups. All of the threads with people pulling their hair out about not being able to get the tires seated and the 100% success I've had with it tell me it's not exactly uneccessary.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 09-02-2010 at 08:18 AM.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    meltingfeather...where would I find this latex mold builder locally? Is this something found at a hobby/craft store or is it more of a Home Depot type product? That valve is still giving me problems and I think I may take your advice and see if this fixes the issue.
    I also dab it at the base of valves when installing. Like burps, I had only had one previous problem with a valve, but none since, and I don't expect I ever will.
    Definitely hobby/craft store item (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.) It will be in the sculpting section. I had a hell of a time finding it the first time I went to look, even with a picture, the product name, and two store employees trying to help me out. I guess the people that go in there for it know where to find it and don't need help.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidie
    Mold builder's latex is definitely a craft store type item. I bought mine at Michael's.
    Got some strange looks buying 2 quarts of that and nothing else from the pretty young lady working the register.
    How about throw in some glitter for your homebrew mix?

transmitter~receiver
    This seems interesting.
    How lubricating is it?
    How fast does it dry out and stop lubricating?
    When it dries, is it sticky like rubber cement?
    How well does it clean off?

Thanks
    Yeah, I don't see the focus on lubrication, and that's not what I use it for, though I guess it is pretty lubricational. I use it to help trap air during the initial inflation, and to provide a bit of adhesion and positive seal between the rim and bead.
    It starts to dry out in a few minutes. I usually try to work quickly with it.
    It's not tacky like rubber cement... it's latex, so just rubbery.
    Cleaning off is cake. If it's still wet (always is after I've inflated), it rinses off with water. When it's dry is very similar to dried stan's in a wheel... just rubbery with a little adhesion to the surface. The easiest way (and it's pretty easy) to get it off when it's dry is just to rub it while still dry, either just with your hands or with a dry towel.

mtbr member
    mf, have you tried the weather stripping in the tire channel trick? That seems to really improve tubeless success for difficult to mount tires (esp thin walled XC tires which seem to be much more of a problem than FR/DH tires with thicker sidewalls). Would seem to me to be easier than your method considering you only do it once.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    mf, have you tried the weather stripping in the tire channel trick? That seems to really improve tubeless success for difficult to mount tires (esp thin walled XC tires which seem to be much more of a problem than FR/DH tires with thicker sidewalls). Would seem to me to be easier than your method considering you only do it once.

Have FUN!

G
    I haven't.
    Isn't that tomfoolery? Kidding.
    I have heard of it but I didn't want to mess with re-taping and the bead painting is actually super easy and quick, makes a great bead seal, and offers the perceived additional protection of having the bead "glued" to the rim.
    I've also heard of people having issues with the weather stripping compressing after the initial inflation, which makes sense, and not working as well after that. Don't know anything about that, since on my first try I found something that works great for me every time.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Did you look at my link or do a web search?
    I don't think it's simply a lubricant.
    I've busted and balanced automotive tires for a quarter-century or so. The stuff that you slop onto the bead of the tire right before throwing it on the tire machine is just plain old soapy water.

mtbr member
    I work for a NAPA auto parts. We are talking about two different kinds of automotive tire products. There is ruglyde or beadeze, a lub for mounting tires. Then there is Amerseal, a stans like sealant.

http://www.amazon.com/BeadEze-Tire-L.../dp/B000J1TY7K

http://www.amazon.com/American-Seala...sr=1-3-catcorr

And no, I don't know the differance between stans and maerseal or what people use Amerseal on.

mtbr member
    I also dab it at the base of valves when installing. Like burps, I had only had one previous problem with a valve, but none since, and I don't expect I ever will.
    Definitely hobby/craft store item (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.) It will be in the sculpting section. I had a hell of a time finding it the first time I went to look, even with a picture, the product name, and two store employees trying to help me out. I guess the people that go in there for it know where to find it and don't need help.
    At the risk of speaking too soon....I think this did the trick on my leaky valve issue! Found it Micheals and got it for $9 thanks to a coupon in the mail. Thanks for the info!
    Signature

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I've been using and recommending moldbuilder latex, which sounds exactly like what you're describing, for some time now. it has never failed to allow any tubeless set up (stan's rims, regular rims + tape, split-tube, etc.) to seat with a floor pump, first time.

Do you still use stans or something else in the tire to seal punctures?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker
    Do you still use stans or something else in the tire to seal punctures?
    yup, the latex is just to get the initial seating and add the protection of a "glued" bead. i mount one side of the tire, put stans in, mount the other side of the tire, work my way around both sides painting the latex on the beads, then air up with floor pump, first try everytime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yup, the latex is just to get the initial seating and add the protection of a "glued" bead. i mount one side of the tire, put stans in, mount the other side of the tire, work my way around both sides painting the latex on the beads, then air up with floor pump, first try everytime.
    I tried 'painting' the beads with silicone for the first time a few months ago(and I've setup a ton of tires ghetto) and I have to say it worked AWESOME. What I really like is the fact that with the split tube method I know I have a sealed bead to the split tube which means no burps.

I put a home-brew latex mix inside (without Slime), used it until it dried and now am using pure Slime without the latex. My results have been very good, the Slime doesn't weep out of the tire because I believe the dried latex has made a air-tight barrier.

VENI VEDI BIKI

thanx. i am intruiged by the diffrent gt methods and am considering yours for my new jabber buid. it just seems that GT is kinda hit or miss. I would be using BWW pure rims and a WTb 2.55 wierwolf in front and 2.1 wolverine in back.

I am hesitant to go this route, as I have read a lot of horror stories about people's GT set-ups blowing up on the trail and being quite messy. On my 26, I am able to run 35 PSI tubed without much problems with flats. It sems most people are running GT around 30 psi. I dont know if the extra 5 lbs is worth the hassle and risk of a blow off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast