mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Any word on a King freehub for the SRAM 11 speed cassette

I'm building my dream bike and am looking to use the new XX1 group. I'm building it with Enve AM's that I would like built with Kings. Any word on a freehub from king that is compatible with the 11 speed cassette? Otherwise I would have to use DT Swiss 240's. Not bad by any means, but I really want Kings.

mtbr member
    I have not run across any articles about that yet, but if I was in your shoes I would probably email (or call) King direct before dropping my $$$.

no trees are safe
    No it probably wouldn't. 11 cog cassettes are larger than 9-10 ones.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    King would have to make the freehub body from steel, since there is no room for the roller bearing race in an XX1 freehub. They might possibly have to move the roller bearigns inwards too, which means making a new axle as well.

That said, I'd by an XX1 freehub conversion kit for my King hubs at almost any cost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was just alerted to the fact that Industry 9 has the freehub for their hubs. If King doesn't, I'm going I9.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I e-mailed CK this week. No XX1 driveshell is planned in the short/medium term (2013).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter View Post
    I e-mailed CK this week. No XX1 driveshell is planned in the short/medium term (2013).
    Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gcohen View Post
    I'm building my dream bike and am looking to use the new XX1 group. I'm building it with Enve AM's that I would like built with Kings. Any word on a freehub from king that is compatible with the 11 speed cassette? Otherwise I would have to use DT Swiss 240's. Not bad by any means, but I really want Kings.
    What bike are you building?

JC

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jc280 View Post
    What bike are you building?

JC
    I'm building an Intense Carbine 27.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporter View Post
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder why.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder why.
    I also emailed them and I asked why. They said the retooling and machining is expensive and they want to see if this has a following first. I guess they just don't want to waste their money. That is a shame because I have a great custom carbon wheel set and was thinking of going XX1. So my choice will have to be new wheel set or new hubs re-laced into these.

mtbr member
    Yes, I get that but a lot? of people are going to buy other hubs for their wheelset. If I buy a DT wheelset I doubt I'd switch to King when they decide to make them. Maybe they don't think it will catch on or they know Shimano has something coming. Actually King does usually wait and only release things when they're perfect. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    I inquired recently too (end of Sept.), and got this response -

We are fully aware of what SRAM has been up to, but right now our main focus is in completing the new projects on hand. We have every intention of making everything needed for the new SRAM components, but a realistic time like would be sometime in 2014.