Keep on Rockin...

Any reports on Sun's 0 Degree XC rim...

Looking to build a new wheelset for my SS. It will be a V brake set up. It's either the Suns or DT 4.1s. I've ridden Mavic long enough and would like a change.

I like that they are just a bit wider than the mavics and DTs.

Mike

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I cracked 2 outa 3 I've owned (205# on a FS) but I know a pro-level gal that's run them for years w/ no probs.
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The quality of Sun rims is all over the place. I have ridden sub IV's for years with no problems and built a set for a 115 pound woman and they lasted 2 months. I would go for the Dt not worry about if the rim is going to hold up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I actually own the Suns and DT

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    Looking to build a new wheelset for my SS. It will be a V brake set up. It's either the Suns or DT 4.1s. I've ridden Mavic long enough and would like a change.

I like that they are just a bit wider than the mavics and DTs.

Mike
    I've got both the Suns and the DTs, each on different bikes. I've had no problems with either. The Suns are MUCH more of a pain to get tires off of, though (in my experience, anyway).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Switzerland versus the People's Republic of China.

Sun decided to cheap out a few years ago and switched all their production to the PRC. Since then the quality of their finished products has been inconsistent, as has the weight. The 0 Degree XC is typically a reliable product, but DT or Mavic are better made rims. The are also made in democratic countries who don't force their citizens to have abortions at gunpoint, run over them with tanks for wanting to vote, and torture them to death for practicing their chosen religion.

If you can get a screaming deal on them, then the O Degree XC might make sense. If you are paying anything close to comparable dough, I'd definitely take the DT or another Mavic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi4me
    Sun decided to cheap out a few years ago and switched all their production to the PRC. Since then the quality of their finished products has been inconsistent, as has the weight. The 0 Degree XC is typically a reliable product, but DT or Mavic are better made rims. The are also made in democratic countries who don't force their citizens to have abortions at gunpoint, run over them with tanks for wanting to vote, and torture them to death for practicing their chosen religion.

If you can get a screaming deal on them, then the O Degree XC might make sense. If you are paying anything close to comparable dough, I'd definitely take the DT or another Mavic.
    I would second that advice minus the sweeping propagandistic stuff. A little high horsed? There's a Political-Socio-Economic-Religion forum for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ah! la chupacabra!

damn, please don't suck my blood for saying so, but i've always much preferred sun rims to mavic, even to the point of refusing to build mavic rims. i was unaware of the switch to offshore production, but am well aware of the varying weight and such. i've had good luck with syncros rims in the past and intend to try wtb soon. i also just built a set with IRD interloc tsunamis, which will get run through the paces come spring.