mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any love for plain old XT hubs?

Thinking about getting new wheels. I can probably get anything cost wise, but I don't want to spend money I don't need to. XT hubs are about $75 right now. Are there any reasons not to get them? Is there a better suggestion?

Sure, I'd like DT Swiss 240S hubs, but is it really worth an extra $300?

mtbr member
    XT=best bang for the buck IMHO.

mtbr member
    If you're talking about the M756 six bolt hubs, they are easily serviced and pretty reliable. The freehub body is a little weak for heavy or super strong pedallers. And they're pretty heavy compared to higher end hubs. If you mean the M775/785 hubs, they have had some reliability issues with both the freehub body and axles. I've found the current SLX M629, M665, or even the M529 to be a more reliable hub with a much better freehub body.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have good luck with both the 775 and 785 model, have a wheelset on each.

However, not out of the box. You have to adjust the cones and put a little loctite on the nuts out of the box, or else you are risking it unscrewing on the ride and messing up the cups& cones (find that as an issue only on rear hubs)

Once properly set as new, these have been rolling without any issues, smooth and reliable.

Have not had freehub issues with them, engagement is great, operation is more silent than the competition (hate loud hubs), but not as silent as older/cheaper Shimano.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I have always thought DTs are a bit overpriced. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome hubs, but for what you get, the price is so so.

I think that White Industries hubs really are the best balance of price and durability. Their stuff is pretty hard to beat.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Swedetarded
    I've been an XT hub user for 15+ years.

I've only had one failure ever, the freehub as mentioned above.

I say go for it.

MTB B'dos
    I say no, while they're somewhat easy to service, the cup & cone system takes some patience to get it just perfect and it requires regular maintenance, also heavy as fack. I say split the difference and pick up some Hope Pro2 EVOs, get some decently light hubs, that have sealed cartridge bearings that don't require constant maintenance, have good engagement and you can get nearly any colour your heart desires, PLUS and this is big for me, the front will do 9mm,15mm & 20mm with just a 2 minutes end caps change.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    You can get a set if Hopes from CRC for $260. Can't beat that

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just built up a new Arch Ex wheel for the rear with a XT hub. Decision was based on wanting a hub that was bulletproof and affordable. It was between the Hope and XT, but after hearing how loud the Hope is when freewheeling, I went with the XT. Yeah it's heavier, but that extra weight is on the axle. I don't think you would even feel it. Weight is more of a concern the further out from center-line it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've used XTs on a variety of bikes - trail, commuter, winter etc. Nothing but good things to say. Take a ton of abuse, but still spin as good as any other hub year after year. Ditto on the White Industries - such a great product, don't see why they don't get more love. I have them on my road bike and have loved them. Will look to them for future MTB wheel builds.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    You can get a set if Hopes from CRC for $260. Can't beat that
    If cost is a consideration, you can beat that. You can buy 3 sets of XTs for the same price and the skewers (best available) are included.

Granted, the Hopes are lighter and have quicker engagement, but XTs do well if maintained. I have had issues with the 775/785 hubs and will never buy another. The older 6-bolt hubs (Deore or XT) are fine, and more easily serviced.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I say no, while they're somewhat easy to service, the cup & cone system takes some patience to get it just perfect and it requires regular maintenance, also heavy as fack..
    XTs are 330g with steel freehub.

Not sure I would call that heavy as fack.

Another Retro Grouch
    Just weighed a 756, with a solid bolt-on axle it weighs ~500gm. I think stock 756 with QR axle and no QR skewer weighs ~450gm.

Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post

That is the weight for the 775/85 hub. The two I had were unreliable and individual replacement parts (cones) are unavailable.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yep that is 775/785 weights, 775 I have is rolling for 3, and 785 for 1 year now.

Hopefully this will not jinx them, although they show no signs of problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just built up a set of wheels with XT hubs (785 and 788's). Cost is a huge bonus, plus they really aren't that heavy. My XT's laced to Spank Oozy 29" with Phil spokes came in at 1800 grams. I built the set for what the Hope hubs alone cost.

For what it's worth, I've broken the aluminum axle in my Hope rear hub 3 times, and the freehub once. I've never had an issue with another set of 756 XT hubs, and did break one freehub on a set of lower end shimano hubs that came on a bike a few years back. For what a new freehub costs on the XT, you would have to break quite a few before you would get to the cost of the Hopes. Plus, I say go with the centerlock. The first time you throw a rotor on to a centerlock hub you realize how silly 6 bolt is (although I still own quite a few 6 bolt hubs).

Quote Originally Posted by JMUSuperman View Post
    I just built up a set of wheels with XT hubs (785 and 788's). Cost is a huge bonus, plus they really aren't that heavy. My XT's laced to Spank Oozy 29" with Phil spokes came in at 1800 grams. I built the set for what the Hope hubs alone cost.

For what it's worth, I've broken the aluminum axle in my Hope rear hub 3 times, and the freehub once. I've never had an issue with another set of 756 XT hubs, and did break one freehub on a set of lower end shimano hubs that came on a bike a few years back. For what a new freehub costs on the XT, you would have to break quite a few before you would get to the cost of the Hopes. Plus, I say go with the centerlock. The first time you throw a rotor on to a centerlock hub you realize how silly 6 bolt is (although I still own quite a few 6 bolt hubs).
    Note that your new XT hub has an aluminum axle. I had two FH bodies fail in less than a year of use. Have not had any other FH body fail--ever--in 20 years.

After replacing the second FH body it could not keep the bearings in adjustment. Trashed a cone. Shimano does not sell just the cone for replacement. Only as part of a complete axle assembly, at 2/3 the price of a whole new hub.

I choose to replace the entire hub with a cartridge bearing SRAM.
    mtbtires.com

MTB B'dos
    Sorry, should have clarified, was talking old 756 hub. Never weighed it, but did heft it with my WTB Lazer Disc hub and Hope Pro2 and both were lighter, the WTB by a lot. Looked at the newer hubs, heard they'd trimmed weight and increase POE, but read to many failure stories like with Shiggy. IN the 4+ years I've had my Pro2 wheels, I've only destroyed the inner smaller bearings in the freehub and now the outermost needs replacing, other than that no issues what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    NO !
    Sorry but rear Shimano XT hubs are not what they were many years ago.
    If you buy ANY Shimano rear hub right up to 2012 models, then you run a huge risk of getting a faulty freehub body from day 1. If and when replacing that freehub body, you will probably get another bad one.
    See the end of this thread at least before you buy-

Shimano XT M775 Wheelset Freehub fails ?

While the front hubs are fine, the rears freehubs have the potential to ruin all your riding until you cut your losses and build another wheel with an alternate rear hub.
    The problem is well known, save yourself a lot of bother and choose ANY other rear hub first.
    I will personally never buy any Shimano rear hub again, until it has been truly proven to be a thing of the past, and that is probably some way off as Shimano have not even acknowledged that they have been putting out faulty freehubs in huge numbers for a long time. It is a safety issue and there should have been a recall on the lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Had a 3 month 775 rear hub seize up and turn my rear wheel into drill bit that ate through my carbon drop out before I could even stop the bike. Talk about an expensive failure just so I could save a few buck on the wheel build. Had to replace the whole rear triangle on new Ibis Mojo.

And unless you know what you are doing they are a bugger to get rolling well with no lateral play. Cup and cone is not the way to go.

MTB B'dos
    You got a Mojo and then those hubs to save some coin? Ouch Karma's a *****

Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE View Post
    Had a 3 month 775 rear hub seize up and turn my rear wheel into drill bit that ate through my carbon drop out before I could even stop the bike. Talk about an expensive failure just so I could save a few buck on the wheel build. Had to replace the whole rear triangle on new Ibis Mojo.

And unless you know what you are doing they are a bugger to get rolling well with no lateral play. Cup and cone is not the way to go.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Didn't have enough coin for good bike and wheels at the same time. Never had a hub seize on me before. I've blown many out where they would just not engage; usually a broken spring or pawls but this one was catastrophic. Apparently I was not the only one this happened to. Read multiple reports of these things locking up.

mtbr member
    SLX is the real XT replacement... and a good replacement at that. More engagement, strong freehub, reasonable weight. Shimano hubs are still a good call, just not XT's. They're butter smooth when you adjust them properly (its not very hard to).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xr600 View Post
    NO !
    If you buy ANY Shimano rear hub right up to 2012 models, then you run a huge risk of getting a faulty freehub body from day 1. If and when replacing that freehub body, you will probably get another bad one.
    See the end of this thread at least before you buy-
    That has not been the case with the SLX hubs (m629 or M665). They use a 32 poe "29er" freehub body and are solid. They also use the older cro-mo axles and cones so lots of parts are available. The M529 is also solid, the 2011 models have a 16 poe "29er" freehub body while the 2012 models have the same 32 poe freehub body as the SLX hubs (but no way to tell the difference when ordering online, same exact model number).
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    This has been an informative thread for me. It was not so long ago when XT hubs were absolutely bombproof, and consistently so for many, many years. They were a little heavy but there are some places where I don't mind a bit of extra weight and a solid rear hub is one such place. Apparently that quality has eroded somewhat over the past several years. Live and learn.