mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Any DT Swiss X 455 users

Can any users of the DT Swiss X455 Disc Wheelset comment on thier durability/ride quality or any other aspect? I weigh 210 lbs. and want to put a set on my Titus Motolite. They would be riden mostly aggressive XC. I currently ride a really old set of Mavic 517 SUP on XT hubs. Wheels are almost shot and the price of the X455's seems nice. Thanks.

banned
    Note that the three digit DT's are OEM type rims and not like the aftermarket two digit line. I believe that this line is meant to hit a lower pricepoint in their class, and not welded at the seam.

What price are the x455's? One can purchase 5.1/Hope ProII's for the mid 400 USD range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Around $200. I imagine these would be new-taken off.

banned
    The ML demands a good wheelset, with a good build. The recommendation is what I posted above. The fact is to exploit the full potential of a frame, or its ride quality, you MUST have a good wheel/build. The wheels are an integral part of the design and if it's not built well, or of lower quality, you won't fully realize the potential of the frame. I've even had people wanting to get rid of their frame because it rode poorly, only to change to a stiffer wheel of better parts and build quality. The wheel transformed the bike and allowed it to handle like it was designed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    DT's website specs. the X455 rim as mid level, black, welded, sleeve jointed, tubeless kit available, and 32 hole. Much unlike the Mavic Crossrides that came with the ML........entry level, silver, not welded, pin jointed, and 24 hole. I am trying to do my homework and get user reviews of the DTs and weigh the benefits of changing to these wheels for little cash. On paper the DTs seem to be the stronger wheel, and they are black. The silver is not doing it for me. I may look into the wheels you recomend if I can jump to that price point but, for now I need to look a bit lower. Thanks so much. JC your Avatar just killed me!

banned
    If they are welded, then that's a perk for an entry level.

"El Whatever"
    They're sleeved, not welded.

Actually, Titus has the All Mountain Kits I and II equipped with 455's paired to DT Onyx.

While you'll gain a lot just going from 24 to 32 spokes, I agree with JC and I'd toss in a wider rim that's somewhat stronger.

The 455 is nice, but it's more like the 4.1, which is a bit narrow (16mm on the inside).

You could go for the E540, which is a replica of the 5.1 but 40grs heavier and 40 bucks cheaper.

A rim worth taking a look at is the Alex FD28. 490-500grs, sleeve joint (Alex calls it A-Shield), sleeved eyelets, 28mm wide on the outside and 21mm on the inside. It's like 40 bucks or less a pop.

I have those and so far so good. _MK and Shiggy use them too.

And remember that the most important part of the wheelset is the builder.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I stand corrected on the "welded" thing. The Swiss? site eludes to the 455 being in the SBTW welded rim lineup. Checking the US site cleared things up. This rim still seems it would be stronger than the Crossride. Totally agree on the builder being the most important part. You have opened my eyes to a few more options that I will no doubt pour over here soon. Thanks again.