db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Another tire recommendation thread.. sticky tires wanted..

Hi all...
    As the 'new' season starts (for me anyway) I'm looking at new tires to replace or supplement what I'm currently on. I'm 190 kitted up more of a smooth tech rider (fancy way of slow and self preservation rider) Currently running 29er Racing Ralph EVO 2.4/2.25 (F/R) tubeless on Arch rims - I don't race but I like the weight and in general the traction - the front I've washed out a number of time but I've put it down to pilot error. HOWEVER as I change from riding the local trails that I tend to know to more exploring new spots where I encounter a variety of terrain on a given ride - big challenge last fall (wet as well) was transition from moist dirt to flat rock that would go on then back to dirt.
    I realize there isn't a do everything tire out there - but stick with the RaRa on the back and go with a Rocket Ron on the front or a Nic?
    Years ago I used to run a Hutchinson tire on my 26er that seem to stick good in the damp forest conditions - rock, roots (well nothing really sticks to roots) but I can't remember what it was.

Am I limiting myself to selection by staying on Arch's? I could or should build a new set with i23's (I guess) opening up the selection?

Suggestions welcome - thanks for reading

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bump.....
    Still looking

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

There are few tires that do what you are asking and the ones that do will be very heavy and slow rolling (i.e. a Kenda Nevegal). To stick to wet rock, you need a soft compound which equals slow rolling and fast wear. Try Nobby Nic in the Trailstar compound, but be prepared for very fast wear.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    I'm on a 26", but have found the RaRa rear (2.25, Evo, PACESTAR, Snakeskin, TL - I think that's all of the designators!) and a 2.4 NoNi (Evo, TRAILSTAR, Snakeskin TL) is a good combo. Pacestar rear and Trailstar front. For really aggresive riding, like in Moab, I put on a pair of 2.4" Maxis Ardents, Exo, run them tubeless and it's a great set up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Crap, just saw 29" doesn't come in trailstar, nor any other Schwalbe's. Try the more aggressive Nobby Nic in pacestar on the front and see how it works. While I am not a big Stans fan, that is not an issue for you, so I would keep them unless you are just itching for a change.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

ups and downs
    Continental RaceSport or Protection versions of the Race King 29 x 2.2 or Mountain King 29 x 2.4. Excellent sticky tire but very fast rolling Black Chili rubber.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rocky..
    how would you compare the MK vs the Racing Ralph as a front tire?

ups and downs
    Can't say for sure, the only Schwalbe I've used were Nobby Nics which were sticky but slow as a tractor tire.

Quote Originally Posted by db9 View Post
    Rocky..
    how would you compare the MK vs the Racing Ralph as a front tire?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada