mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Another Schwalbe tubeless tire blow off

The bike was on the bike rack heading home after a 6-8 mile quick ride today.

It's a practically new Nobby Nic 2.25 snake skin, mounted on a Kore Durox UST wheel with Stan's tape, sealant and valve at 29 psi checked with a digital gauge. It has held air within a few pounds for the 3 weeks it's been mounted.

So, I've had a RaRa and NoNi blow off of 2 different wheel sets in less than 6 weeks time. Besides buying Schwalbe tires, what am I doing wrong?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Not much I guess. It's a known weakness of Schwalbe TLR tires.

What model year was the tire? Were there other circumstances that could have had something to do with it? For example high temperatures and tires exposed to sunlight (It's snowy and grey out here, but hey, ... you could be on the Bahama's, I don't know ;-) )

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The temp ranged from mid fifties to mid sixties yesterday, so I'm sure the psi could've been higher than 29. Maybe 30 When I was a kid I would air my tires up until I got tired of pumping.
    I got the tire maybe 4 months ago but I believe it's an older model, it has the yellow snake skin logo.
    The front, that I purchased soon after from the same store has a red text snake skin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    No problems with my Nobby Nics. I have about 50 miles or so on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not used Schwalbes but had this happen with a Maxxis tyre. Once it blew of once that was it. I tried a few more times with the same tyre and it would just go pop and off the rim. I sent it back for a replacement tyre which was fine. Rims were stan crests.

mtbr member
    Just had a brand new Nobby Nic blow off in my hand when trying to seat it. Was fine at 50psi, then soon as I touched the air comp to it to bring it up because the seating was still not there, it exploded on me and about broke my fingers. Wondering if I should either A.) ditch the NN or B.) ditch the tubeless
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    50 psi is way to high for tubelss. And then you went to air it up more?

With tubes, pressure can be run higher as the tube is pressing the bead against the rim with air pressure and the friction of the tube pressing.

No tubeless set up should be any higher then 40 IMHO. IF my tire doesn't seat and ping at 35 psi, I wait a couple seconds and they pop in. If not, deflate and make sure there is lube of some sort on the bead. I have been having great luck with Windex!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Check the tire and rim bead for marks or imperfections. Possible improper bead seating going on.

I've noticed for 2015 they've changed a tubeless ez or something.

mtbr member
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the sidewall says 45psi max (not at home), and I know that's regular operating pressure, and I would never bring it up past 50psi unless seating it. Just doesn't seem right that the level of tolerance / variability is so low on these tires (not NN per se, just tubeless in general). But I get it, I've never had any issues with TL until now...I'm just nervous as hell now to try it again!!
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by signalMTB View Post
    Just had a brand new Nobby Nic blow off in my hand when trying to seat it. Was fine at 50psi, then soon as I touched the air comp to it to bring it up because the seating was still not there, it exploded on me and about broke my fingers. Wondering if I should either A.) ditch the NN or B.) ditch the tubeless
    Quote Originally Posted by signalMTB View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the sidewall says 45psi max (not at home), and I know that's regular operating pressure, and I would never bring it up past 50psi unless seating it. Just doesn't seem right that the level of tolerance / variability is so low on these tires (not NN per se, just tubeless in general). But I get it, I've never had any issues with TL until now...I'm just nervous as hell now to try it again!!
    You need to read up on the technical information on schwalbe's site

Tubeless Ready | Schwalbe North America

Never exceed 35 PSI during tubeless installation or use!!
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member

I have ridden the HD's for awhile now. On my second set this year, I am not easy on them and I weigh 215lbs without my gear. I have never had a blow-out or issue with them at all. I have heard complaints about them wearing out quickly as well, here is a pic of my tires yesterday, 450 miles on each. Another Schwalbe tubeless tire blow off-imageuploadedbytapatalk1411843859.820474.jpgAnother Schwalbe tubeless tire blow off-imageuploadedbytapatalk1411843872.120334.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk