mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Another Gorilla Tubeless Advice Thread

I've been running tubeless on my AM bike for a few years now, with no issues. This is with UST rims and "tubeless ready" tires. I'm definitely a fan of tubeless now, and decided to try and convert my DH setup to tubeless. My DH rims are non-UST Syncros DS32 rims, and I'm mounting "tubeless ready" Schwalbe tires onto them, using Gorilla tape as rim tape, and stans sealant. I have been successful in getting them aired up using a compressor, and to hold air, however I have not ridden them yet, and I have a couple of questions to ensure that I'm doing it correctly.

First, when applying the gorilla tape, how far up the rim sidewall should I go? Do I go all the way up the sidewall, partway up, or not up the side of the rim at all, keeping it only covering the flat(ish) channel part of the rim?

Second, the DS32 rims don't have much of a bead lock to them. Even though I can get them to hold air without tubes, the tire bead doesn't seem to "lock" into the rim. With my UST rims for example, once the bead is locked in, even if air is removed from the tires, the tire bead stays locked into the rim, and requires force to break it free if required. On the DS32 rim, as soon as I deflate the tire, the bead immediately pops off and back into the center channel of the rim. Is this normal for a ghetto tubeless setup such as this? Or should it stay locked in the way it does with my UST rim? Seeing how easily it pops off when deflated doesn't give me much confidence that's it's not going to blow off the rim when riding at speed.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I usually do not go up the sidewall of the rim. To get a tighter fit, you might try taping two or more layers on the rim bed.

If your rim is that loose I don't think I would trust it with tubeless.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    non-UST rims/tires wont lock like UST does... I a big fan of non -ust setup and normally it's not an issue,.. but with downhill rigs I'd probably be hesitant to use a loose non UST stuff... you're going faster, and hitting harder and burping is more an issue than with a regular XC or AM bike which it's not a problem and will usually settle after a bit of sealant gets in there and locks it up. With DH I have a feeling even the sealant wont hold if you hit with a lowish pressure tire and you come off a large air hit

the tape shouldn't go up the side of the rim, it just needs to cover and seal the spoke holes. The sealants seal the bead area.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    If your rim is that loose I don't think I would trust it with tubeless.
    Agreed. This is why I was asking the question. I don't trust it the way it is, even though I haven't even ridden it yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    with downhill rigs I'd probably be hesitant to use a loose non UST stuff... you're going faster, and hitting harder and burping is more an issue than with a regular XC or AM bike which it's not a problem and will usually settle after a bit of sealant gets in there and locks it up. With DH I have a feeling even the sealant wont hold if you hit with a lowish pressure tire and you come off a large air hit
    I am using UST tires, or at least tubeless ready, which essentially has the same UST bead. However the rims are not. I should maybe just cut my losses and either run tubes, or buy some Flow EX's to ensure I have a solid tubeless setup for DH.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    my 1" gorilla tape just covered the center of the rim up to just below the bead seating area. My tires have been going for over a year with no problems, and they are not tubeless ready at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
    I am using UST tires, or at least tubeless ready, which essentially has the same UST bead. However the rims are not. I should maybe just cut my losses and either run tubes, or buy some Flow EX's to ensure I have a solid tubeless setup for DH.
    I wouldn't use Flow EX rims for running tubeless ready tires...too many headaches with the BST system which is nothing like the UST shape. If weight is no concern then Mavic EX823 rims are true UST and about bullet proof. Lighter and UST compatible would be the WTB i23 rims which require tape but are excellent with tubeless ready tires.