mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ano fading on rear hub

Curious if others have experienced fading of the color on their anodized hub. I have a set of red I9 hubs. The front is still red but the back has turned pink. I haven't scrubbed it with a wire brush or used some heavy solvent. I cleaned my bike yesterday and just noticed it. The wheels have almost 3 seasons on them.

Not a huge deal, the hub still works fine but I never thought it would fade so soon or if it did, not the whole hub.

Patrick

mtbr member
    I have an old Race Face headset that used to be red. Color doesn't last. Keep your bike indoors, is about the only prevention I can think of. Or maybe there is a UV resistant spray or wax you can put on it?

mtbr member
    Found this:

4. Does colored anodizing fade, peel, or rub off?

Following the dying of an anodized surface, a sealer is applied to effectively close the pores and prevent fading, staining, or bleeding out of color. A properly dyed and sealed component will not fade under outdoor conditions for a minimum of five years. Because the anodic film is molecularly bonded to the sub-strate, and this film absorbs the pigment to the depth of the coating, the colors will not chip or rub off.

All-Brite Anodizing -- Frequently Asked Questions

Now that I think about it, I have a Santa Cruz anodized frame that spent many, many hours in the Arizona sun, and it seems to be the same color blue as new. But that red headset faded bad.
    So there must be different qualities, or it is the way they seal and finish the job that determines the durability. With that in mind, maybe you have a warranty claim.

Its likely that different colors react to the sun differently as well.
    But that I9 stuff is pricey! It should look as good as the price tag would suggest. They should do something for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Depends on the quality of the sealer and application that they used. I have a 2yr old Titus anodized frame that use to be bright orange and now has faded to a peach/chamagne color but my blue cane creek headset still looks new. And the only time it has spent in the sun is the ride in back of my truck to the trails.
    Mountain biking never gets easier... You just get faster

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I planned on calling them and asking if this was common and if not then maybe see about getting a new hub. If it is common then I can live with that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a ano grey Motolite. It's a 2009 I believe. Ano still looks great. I have heard of people with Ano frames fading.

Either way it is still a great hub and wheel. Just lost a little of it's bling.

transmitter~receiver
    call 'em if it bugs you. their service is fantastic. i don't think it would bug me so much except that it's different front and rear. if they matched i think it would be more tolerable. it is, after all, a wheelSET
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Yup. Call em. I was looking at my black i9's I was thinking they looked kind of rootbeer brown. Seems they were never completely black that o can remember, but it my first bike so I could have overlooked. Bought 10 months ago

Former Bike Wrench
    Considering the price, I'd think they could do better than that...I got 10 year old Shimano LX hubs that aren't faded and they cost less than 1/10th the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickd72 View Post
    Just lost a little of it's bling.
    Yeah but you paid for that bling.
    If color fading doesn't have to happen, then a company that charges probably a 500% mark up should figure out how to provide anodizing that doesn't fade.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Curious if others have experienced fading of the color on their anodized hub. I have a set of red I9 hubs. The front is still red but the back has turned pink. I haven't scrubbed it with a wire brush or used some heavy solvent. I cleaned my bike yesterday and just noticed it. The wheels have almost 3 seasons on them.

Not a huge deal, the hub still works fine but I never thought it would fade so soon or if it did, not the whole hub.

Patrick
    Red anno is notorious for fading. Have never heard of fading being covered by warranty.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Smilinsteve's post is right on. Most of the time the color fades
    is a bad seal job. The two main ways to seal the anodize is with
    boiling hot DI water or with a nickle acetate seal which is a better
    seal. I remember one time I red anodized a skid plate for my friends
    race bike. By the end of the first race the skid plate had turned
    pink. He was POed because his friends gave him a bad time about
    it. Turned out the seal I had used on it had gone bad.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Red color is the first to go/fade. For some reason red, in all forms, is the most likely to fade. This is true with ano, PC, or paint.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes they are expensive wheels and I thought the ano would hold up better. I mean it's pretty faded and the front looks good as new. So I will call and inquire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I called I9 yesterday and was told that it is not a common problem. He said it probably wasn't sealed good. So smilinsteve was right. He told me to send the wheels in and most likely they would replace the hub because it sounds like a warranty issue. He also said they would replace bearings if needed and it would be free labor.

Anyways, like Sram their CS is excellent. I appreciate everyones input.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Well I called I9 yesterday and was told that it is not a common problem. He said it probably wasn't sealed good. So smilinsteve was right. He told me to send the wheels in and most likely they would replace the hub because it sounds like a warranty issue. He also said they would replace bearings if needed and it would be free labor.

Anyways, like Sram their CS is excellent. I appreciate everyones input.

Patrick
    Great!

That raises them up a notch in my book. Companies should realize that treating a customer well, like they did, will pay for itself in word of mouth reputation boosting, and customer loyalty!!