mtbr member
    Feb 2009

American Classic Tubeless Wheelset

I'm thinking of running this wheelset on a new build and was wondering how they are holding up for anyone that might already be running them. I'm about 215 (going down) and the weight limit is 235.

Is this too light of a set to run daily?

For those of you running them, what do you think? Does the deeper rim stiffen it up (in spite of the light spokes)?

mtbr member
    so far I'm very impressed, however I only have about 25 miles of true off road on them, but they are nice and stiff, super light and snappy.....my only grip would to the graphics, but I can't see them while I'm riding so thats OK. Oh yeah- awesome tubeless set up- aired up once with 1 scope of stans and they are holding pressure between rides on some S-works tires!

mtbr member
    I have a whole season on these so far with no troubles at all. I weight 170-175.
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554
    I have a whole season on these so far with no troubles at all. I weight 170-175.
    Are you running them tubeless? If so, how?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Drea
    Before the 2010 model year AC wheels that are "Tubeless" hit the selling channels soon (I think February), the prior generations of the AC 29"er wheels convert using a rimstrip and sealant. In particular, the NoTubes 26" standard rimstrip stretches and fits the AC rim perfectly and is the strip that NoTubes recommends for the AC wheels. The 2010 version will not require the rubber rimstrip saving you about 100g's. The older versions all weighed around 1650g per wheelset for the 29"er disc version. The new set will weigh 1600g, and come with a wider rim.

BB

Sweeper
    Clay @ AC states that the weight limit is 235lb for the new Tubeless 29 Wheelset. He said with the wider/deeper rim, the stiffness of the rim has improved greatly.

After the convo with Clay I feel confident to give this wheelset a try for Race Days only. The wheelset will be on my XL 2010 Hi-Fi Pro for XC races.

This will be a good test as I am 6'3 200-210lbs + gear. Cant wait to test them out.

This wheelset at 1600g will be super light for myself. We shall see if they hold up.

mtbr member
    Had the older AC 29er Classic's with the Stans 26 inch rim strips and they worked flawlessly right from the get go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drea
    Stan's tape, stem & liquid...works great!
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Before the 2010 model year AC wheels that are "Tubeless" hit the selling channels soon (I think February), the prior generations of the AC 29"er wheels convert using a rimstrip and sealant. In particular, the NoTubes 26" standard rimstrip stretches and fits the AC rim perfectly and is the strip that NoTubes recommends for the AC wheels. The 2010 version will not require the rubber rimstrip saving you about 100g's. The older versions all weighed around 1650g per wheelset for the 29"er disc version. The new set will weigh 1600g, and come with a wider rim.

BB
    Thanks for the info BB.
    Do you have any idea about the new rim profile? Any pics available?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Thanks for the info BB.
    Do you have any idea about the new rim profile? Any pics available?

new rim is 26mm wide, been riding them since late oct. stans yellow tape/geax tnt barro race, aired with floor pump. i wish they offered the sapim option on these otherwise no complaints....yet

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have the older AC 29er wheels - just using the stans tape and its working no problem

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry to resurrect this but it seems to fit me perfectly. I have a set of the AC 29ers and was wondering if I need the rim strips or can get away with just the rim tape, valve stems and sealant? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reading up on the tubeless but still couldn't find the exact answer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You just need the strip that covers the spokes(should be installed already), stem, and sealant.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by terricksa5 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this but it seems to fit me perfectly. I have a set of the AC 29ers and was wondering if I need the rim strips or can get away with just the rim tape, valve stems and sealant? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reading up on the tubeless but still couldn't find the exact answer.
    You didn't mention which set of the AC's you have? I am assuming the newer ones that are tubeless ready. All you need is one wrap of tape (NoTubes tape is nice), valves and sealant.

I even run the older set of AC wheels (non-tubeless) with yellow tape and valves and do fine.

The only reason you would need a rubber rim strip is if you are having severe difficulties airing up a non-tubeless ready tire that is stubborn and won't take with the water/soap suds and air compressor. Even then, there are tricks to get the tire to air up without resorting to using the rubber rim strips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello All: Nice thread. I have been running these wheels on an XL Air 9 hard tail for two seasons. I am 6'3 and about 190 pounds. I actually have two sets a 2010 and 2011. The wheels are awesome. Set up tubeless with conti race kings and mtn kings no problem. Have not touched the wheels and roll as true and smooth as the day I got them

mtbr member
    I have been running the Mtb 29 wheels on my Epic for a year and they are true as brand new. I have around 500-600 miles on them, I'd estimate. And, I have been anywhere from 240-265 pounds the entire time I have had them. They are excellent wheels and I could not be happier with them. I am about to switch to a 15mm thru so I'll be installing the conversion kit. Also, the tubeless works flawlessly.

mtbr member
    I liked them so much I put a set of AC Hurricane wheels on my road bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone running their MTB 29 at less than the 35 psi AC recommends?

Running Rocket Rons in front and Racing Ralphs in the rear (both tubeless), front was pretty scary at 33 psi and even at 30 psi it's still a little nervous.

My friend who has the same setup recommends 25 in the dry and around 23 when trail is wet. But he's running ZTR rims with CK hubs and I'm not sure I can go that low with the MTB 29.

I'm only 150lbs and ride mostly XC trails so maybe I can get away with pressure that low?

sock puppet

This winter I have been running

22-25psi depending on the amount of snow in the rocks... More snow - less pressure. Bare rocks = 25 psi rear (2.2 Specialized S-Works Captain) and 23psi front (2.2 Specialized S-Works Purgatory).

If I feel the rim hitting the riding surface during the ride - pressure goes up, just barely...

I weigh 195#

Quote Originally Posted by tracke30m3 View Post

Running Rocket Rons in front and Racing Ralphs in the rear (both tubeless), front was pretty scary at 33 psi and even at 30 psi it's still a little nervous.

My friend who has the same setup recommends 25 in the dry and around 23 when trail is wet. But he's running ZTR rims with CK hubs and I'm not sure I can go that low with the MTB 29.

I'm only 150lbs and ride mostly XC trails so maybe I can get away with pressure that low?

29 TO LIFE
    Quote Originally Posted by tracke30m3 View Post

I ran them as low as 22 on my epic with the Specialized tubeless ready tires that came stock and I weigh 220lbs without burping or blowing them off the rim or even dinging the rim.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good to know. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've got an old pair that I run tubless in the mid 20s for psi. I weight in at 200lbs before gear and haven't banged them up in 2 seasons of riding.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.