mtbr member
    Mar 2011

American Classic Terrain 29 Wheelset

Does anyone have info or experience with these wheels? These just came out back in December.

I can't find any information regarding what hubs they use and their engagement system. Curious if these wheels will hold up in the long run.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've looked at them and they appear to have the same engagement as the standard AC hubs, but there is way less "polish" and machining on the hubs. My guess is the bearings may be cheaper too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well the page for them on amclassic's site says "new larger hub bearings for increased durability"

I guess as long as I can take them apart and change out the bearings it shouldn't be too bad? The hubs in the pictures look different from their standard models so I was just curious.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    Well the page for them on amclassic's site says "new larger hub bearings for increased durability"

I guess as long as I can take them apart and change out the bearings it shouldn't be too bad? The hubs in the pictures look different from their standard models so I was just curious.
    Yea, I only got to look at them...not take them apart or even ride them. By cheaper bearings I meant probably not stainless steel. The hub looks like the same dimensions as the standard AC hub (tall flanges, narrow flange spacing) but is lacking all the machining and polishing their hubs usually see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I actually contacted American Classic a while back asking about the hubs. Here was their answer:

"The terrain tubeless are an excellent value for a mid range wheel. Good questions. The terrain hubs have the same great AC technology like the 6 pawl system and steel face cassette body. We did not skimp on the important stuff. To lower the cost, they have chrome steel bearings, do not have the weight saving cut outs in the hub flanges and the shiny hi-end finish."

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi,

Do you know the size of the bearings for the 2012 wheelset, for the front wheel?
    The measurements are almost the same as of WTB Laserdisc, but AC sells a kit for converting the 2012 model to 15mm axle.
    I was thinking if I could use that kit for the WTB + changing the WTB bearings.

The older Terrain had same bearing with WTB, 15267.

So I was thinking i could change the bearing on the WTB (if they fit OD) and use the AC kit.