mtbr member
    May 2005

American Classic mtb 26 vs Fulcrum zero

I ride a ibis MOJO SL.
    I'm 210 pds and do marathon race.

Any experience with those wheels?? Any suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    None at all, but I have been riding CrossMax ST's and they have been a great wheelset. I do perfer marathon racing, and I am 170. Havn't had any problems with mine. Just every now and then I just tighten the hub down, and a quick turn of some spokes and its back to true and new.
    Broadway Bikes: Grease Monkey/Sales/you name it, we do it

Rubber side down is never bad!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich24
    I ride a ibis MOJO SL.
    I'm 210 pds and do marathon race.

Any experience with those wheels?? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    What attracts you to these two offerings specifically?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, for starters I'd immediately throw out the fulcrums. Way too pricey and they're still not up to par for weight.

Mavics are nice and bling-y but they're also fairly overpriced considering what kind of other stuff is out there.

The AC stuff is pretty nice and supposedly their durability issues have been addressed in the latest version of their hubs (which can be found on the 08 wheels...save some $$$). They're lighter than Crossmax SLR, and cost about half as much. Plus they use standard spokes so no worries if you break one and need a quick replacement.

Another idea would be to get some Chris King hubs, and lace them to DT Swiss 4.2 rims with DT Swiss Revolution spokes. Then you have an absolutely beast wheelset That still weighs about the same as the CrossMax SLR...about 1570 grams going by actual rather than claimed weight.I'd go for 32 spokes, laced 3x. The only thing that's stopping me from following my advice and getting this exact wheelset I described to you is that I'm a weight weenie who's sponsored by American Classic so I'm taking the American Classics with Sapim CX spokes...1405 grams for the set

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    At the OP's weight I would avoid the DT Swiss 4.2 rims. I weight a little less and I flat spotted two of those rims very quickly. I don't think I'm particularly hard on rims either as they're the only ones I've had any problems with. I have heard that they are soft.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How did you have them laced? 32 spokes laced 3x should be pretty tough. Are you jumping them or something?

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by v22osprey
    How did you have them laced? 32 spokes laced 3x should be pretty tough. Are you jumping them or something?
    3x pattern, built by I9. I'm a wheels on the ground type of guy. If you see me catching air, it was an accident. To be fair, the wheels were still very much rideable and I couldn't really tell the difference. But it happened twice very soon after I started riding on them. It happened the first time within the first 4-5 rides and then I sent them back to be rebuilt. When I got them back it happened again during my first ride on them. I took them off and sold them to someone lighter because I just couldn't see banging up nice wheels like that continuously.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    huh. i stand corrected.

in that case maybe it'd be better to use whatever their next heaviest rim is (XR 420? X 420? can't remember the name exactly)...or go with the American Classics.