mtbr member
    Feb 2008

American Classic MTB 26 Tubeless advice

I want to go with a tubeless wheelset and was told that this 1486 gram wheelset was very durable and good for XC racing. Any advice or experience with this wheelset would be welcomed. Thanks.

Commit or eat sh!t
    They have even a lighter racing version coming out soon. I would wait for that. Check out their website.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I saw that but was concerned about the durability. I can only afford one wheelset and I didn't know if the "race" wheelset would also be a good everyday wheelset. Plus I was told that it will be $200.00 more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have an order in for the race version. I have a pretty rugged set of wheels at the moment, so this will be a "race day" set. I asked AC about strength etc. The weight limit for the race version is 220 pounds, so they won't be flimsy. But they will no doubt perhaps require a bit more truing than the slightly heavier version. Unless you're a weight weenie I think the ones you have in mind are a good choice. I usually ride custom wheels, but like what AC was offering. And after having talked to some fellow riders, and reading some good recent reviews, I think the ACs will be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Make sure you're using approved brake rotors. They don't like formula R1 style rotors and require you use their disc reinforcing rings if you want to use similar rotors. Adds 6g/wheel and about $30. Also, they don't allow you to use titanium bolts so add another 6g/wheel. Can't say I have actually tried them. I started to question my safety with the hubs if they're so weak they require a reinforcing ring to operate on a rotor design that is pretty common (Avid also uses a similar design). American Classic customer service said I needed to calm down and that it's "just a bike part" so I returned it. Just a little bit of clashing opinions regarding things connected to my braking system.