mtbr member

American Classic MTB 26 + Rocket Ron TL-Ready EVO

I have an “old” pair of AC 26” single speed wheels, these do not have the tubeless-ready rims. This afternoon I mounted up a new 2.4” RoRo on the front and 2.25” on the rear, both TL-Ready EVOs.

In preparation, I laid the 25mm Stan’s rim tape on each rim and installed valves. The rims are narrow, so the tape climbed up either side. I carefully smoothed it out with my fingers and then mounted the tires. I added a cup and a half of sealant each (I have head that RoRos are porous) and then inflated them with CO2 cartridges. They snugged right up against the rims and from then on it was a case of gently shaking them wherever sealant was bubbling out between tire and rim.

Applying soap and water surprised me: Although there was some sealing going on at the rim, there wasn’t the poinholing I expected from the sidewalls. I’ll be riding them tonight, we’ll see if I burp them or if they hold fast.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Any updates?

mtbr member
    Sorry! Should have updated...

One of the two (the 2.4 on the front) sealed just about perfectly. The other (the 2.25 on the rear) lost air at the rim and needed to be re-inflated and have the sealant slooshed around more. It rode fine for a few days, but burped when I was executing a pedal kick over a gap. I re-inflateed on the trail and slooshed some more, and it has been mostly fine ever since.

It does seem to lose a little air between rides, so I check the pressure before setting out. The ride itself is amazing.

mtbr member
    A little more information for anyone Googling the subject... The MTB 26ers are much more burp-sensitive than some of the other, wider rims I've tried. It could be that I'm using high volume tires, I may try 2.1" tires next season and see how they do. If I run really low pressures (15-18psi), the 2.4" is fine on corners and so forth, but I have burped it at low speed on a sharply off-camber section of trail and most alarmingly at speed on a downhill rooty run.

The 2.25" on the rear has been much more solid, but I did burp it one day when I hopped off a 2' high skinny and laded directly on the rear wheel, trials-style. I was running about 18psi that day.

I took the 2.4" off entirely and I'm now running a pair of 2.25" tires, 18psi front and 20psi rear. Feels fine so far!