mtbr member
    Jul 2005

American Classic hubs with 9 and 15 mm compatibility? Convertible to do both?

Just wondering if these hubs allow you to switch back and forth to and from 9 mm and 15 mm.

15MM THRU AXLE DISC

DISC 130

Anybody?

I'd like to pick up a 650 BXC wheelset that has the 20 mm hub and swap it for a 9 / 15 mm convertible. I was going to see if the store I order from could un-lace and lace or I can do it myself or have somebody else do it.

Last edited by morkys; 11-22-2012 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    They say:
    You can now convert your 17mm AC Disc 130 Quick Release 9mm hub to a 15mm Thru Axle hub. The kit contains the axle parts necessary to make the conversion.

DISC 130

My front can convert, I actually got both with the wheelset. Pretty sure its a 130 but not 100%, as it came on a wheelset.

Those hubs roll crazy. Even the rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I love my AC All mountains, a year of clyde riding and they still havent lost true
    Bought them as 9mm for the fork I had at the time, upgraded to a 15mm fork and converted the front wheel. It took 10min tops

banned
    You cannot convert the hub if it is a 20mm. You can only convert a 9mm to 15mm or vice versa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    You cannot convert the hub if it is a 20mm. You can only convert a 9mm to 15mm or vice versa.
    Yep, that's right, I cannot convert the 20 mm hub. That is why I would need to swap the 20 mm hub for something like the DISC 130. I have laced a few 3 cross 26" wheels so I could probably get my Dirt Rag magazine out and apply the same process to re-lacing the DISC 130 hub in place of the 20 mm hub that is there now. Only thing is I will have to determine which spokes to use and then figure out how to tension the wheel properly. I can lace a wheel ok, but I've never been 100 % happy with the true-ness of the finished product. Perhaps I just need a spoke tensioner.

I eventually found those adapter instructions.
    So it looks like the DISC 130 is more than likely the hub to get.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    I love my AC All mountains, a year of clyde riding and they still havent lost true
    Bought them as 9mm for the fork I had at the time, upgraded to a 15mm fork and converted the front wheel. It took 10min tops
    Do you know what hub is in your All Mountain wheel set?
    Last edited by morkys; 11-23-2012 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Do you know what hub is in your All Mountain wheel set?
    It says on the AC website the front hub is a disc 130 in he AM wheel set. The bearings are uber smooth and even after a year of 4-5 rides a week, if you give the wheels a hard spin while the bike is on the rack, it will keep spinning for a good 15min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    It says on the AC website the front hub is a disc 130 in he AM wheel set. The bearings are uber smooth and even after a year of 4-5 rides a week, if you give the wheels a hard spin while the bike is on the rack, it will keep spinning for a good 15min.
    Sweet. I will look into those hubs. I wonder if it would be cheaper to get the hubs, rims and spokes and lace them up myself. I could always do my best with a spoke tensioner and then bring it to a professional wheel builder if they needed to be tensioned and trued to perfection.

The reason I wasn't sure about converting was that that the American Classic Disc 130 webpage says:

15mm Thru Axle Front Disc Hub Conversion Kit
    The 15mm suspension fork has become a popular standard on cross country bikes. You can now convert your 17mm AC Disc 130 Quick Release 9mm hub to a 15mm Thru Axle hub.
    ...but it doesn't explicitly state whether the Disc 130 comes as a 15 mm as is and can be converted to 9 mm. It only states that you can convert your 9 mm Disc 130 to 15 mm. I guess I wasn't sure if the Disc 130 comes as 9 mm or 15 mm. It's not stated explicitly.

I think what they mean is that the DISC 130 comes with 9 mm axle and then you can convert it. I suppose a 20 mm axle is more for downhill. I have no problem with 9 mm axle though I ride xc and I suppose I would appreciate a siffer 15 mm axle, I just don't notice the 9 mm being all that bad.
    Last edited by morkys; 11-23-2012 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Also intersted in the conversion but still can't find the kit to convert a standard QR front hub to the new QR15
    Can anybody post a link?
    thanks
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Do you mean this?

HUB THRU AXLE RETRO FIT KITS

Can I retrofit my Quick Release Front Disc 130 Hub to a 15mm Thru Axle Hub? Can I retrofit my Quick Release Terrain Front Hub to a Terrain 15mm Thru Axle Hub?

There is a 15mm Thru Axle Retrofit Kit available for $35.00US and shipping and you can order the kit from your local American Classic dealer or from our online shop. You will need to determine whether you have a Disc 130 hub or a Terrain Disc hub as each hub has its own specific kit. See the HELP tab under MANUALS / Hub Sets to determine what hub you have and for directions. American Classic retrofit kits do not work with any other manufacturer’s hubs.

Can I retrofit my 15mm Thru Axle Hub to a Quick Release Front Disc 130 Hub? Can I retrofit my Terrain 15mm Thru Axle Hub to a Quick Release Terrain Front Hub?

There is an AC Front QR Retrofit Kit available for $35.00US and shipping and you can order the kit from your local American Classic dealer or from our online shop. The kit includes an AC Cromoly Front QR. You will need to determine whether you have a Disc 130 hub or a Terrain Disc hub as each hub has its own specific kit. See the HELP tab under MANUALS / Hub Sets to determine what hub you have and for directions. American Classic retrofit kits do not work with any other manufacturer’s hubs. This kit does not work on AC 20mm front hubs.

Can I retrofit my Quick Release Rear Disc 225 Hub to a 12mm x 142mmThru Axle Hub? 10mm x 135mm Thru Axle Hub? 12mm X 135mm Thru Axle Hub?

There is a Thru Axle Retrofit Kit available for each of these thru axle styles available for $35.00US and shipping and you can order the kit from your local American Classic dealer or from our online shop. The kit works on Disc 225 hubs with 6803C3 bearings only. See the HELP tab under manual/hub sets to determine what hub you have and for directions. We also have 10mm thru axle QR’s available through your local bike shop or our online shop on our web site: Web Store. American Classic retrofit kits do not work with any other manufacturer’s hubs.

Can I retrofit my 12mm x 142mmThru Axle Hub, 10mm x 135mm Thru Axle Hub, or 12mm X 135mm Thru Axle Hub to an AC Quick Release Rear Disc 225 Hub?

There is an AC QR Rear Disc 225 Retrofit Kit available for each of these thru axle styles available for $35.00US and shipping and you can order the kit from your local American Classic dealer or from our online shop. The kit includes an AC Cromoly Rear 135mm QR. The kit works on Disc 225 hubs with 6803C3 bearings only. See the HELP tab under MANUALS / Hub Sets to determine what hub you have and for directions. American Classic retrofit kits do not work with any other manufacturer’s hubs.

Can I retrofit my Quick Release Front Disc 130 Hub or AC 15mm Thru Axle Hub to an AC 20mm Thru Axle Hub?
    Can I retrofit my AC 20mm Thru Axle Hub to a Quick Release Front Disc 130 hub or AC 15mm Thru Axle Disc Hub?
    Can I retrofit my Quick Release Style Terrain Front Hub or Terrain 15mm Thru Axle Hub to an Terrain 20mm Thru Axle Hub?
    Can I retrofit my Terrain 20mm Thru Axle Hub to a Quick Release Terrain Front Hub or Terrain 15mm Thru Axle Disc Hub?

Sorry, these conversions are not available.
    For more info check the FAQ

FAQ

One thing that may be a handy thing is that it appears that the 20 mm hub and 15/9 mm DISC 130 have the same flanges and drillings so the same spokes can be used if I swap a 20 mm axle hub for the DISC 130 hub.
    Last edited by morkys; 11-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    One thing that may be a handy thing is that it appears that the 20 mm hub and 15/9 mm DISC 130 have the same flanges and drillings so the same spokes can be used if I swap a 20 mm axle hub for the DISC 130 hub.
    Thats good to know. I was thinking about swapping my fork to something bigger, but that would mean 20mm wheel which makes this much more expensive. Are you guys sure its a direct swap? Are the flanges on the 20mm hub same distance from each other?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The disc 130 hub comes as a 9mm and you have to get the adapter/conversion kit to turn it into a 15mm. AC will sell a whole wheel or the hub they do not sell their rims separate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It looks like you can convert the same hub to a 9 mm thru-axle quick release. A nice option to increase stiffness of your setup if all you have is a 9 mm fork. How much stiffer it is, I don't know, but it doesn't seem very expensive nor heavy.

http://www.amclassic.com/documents/m...r_retrofit.pdf

http://www.amclassic.com/documents/m...tandard_qr.pdf

Does anybody know if a 9 mm thru-axle is a worth-while upgrade from a 9 mm QR? I always think that it makes sense to get the most you can out of something. If I only have a 9 mm fork, I can't use 15 mm or 20 mm hub with thru-axle, so I would think 9 mm thru-axle is worth it as the best I can get. Is it a noticeable improvement over 9 mm QR?
    Last edited by morkys; 11-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if a 9 mm thru-axle is a worth-while upgrade from a 9 mm QR?
    For me the big deal of going from 9 to 15 was:
    1. The wheel is always in the same place when you assemble it to the fork. I have to do that every ride. The disc always comes out in the same position from the caliper.
    2. Super quick to load unload. You set the tension once and not every time you assemble the wheel. If you have deep pockets in the dropouts you will have to open the nut on the QR every time by hand and close it when you assemble.

These are the two main reasons QR15 standard was created for. Safety and usability. The big difference is a closed dropout instead of open. You will not get it with 9mm QR, its still open dropout. I would save the money.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know if a 9 mm thru-axle is a worth-while upgrade from a 9 mm QR? I always think that it makes sense to get the most you can out of something. If I only have a 9 mm fork, I can't use 15 mm or 20 mm hub with thru-axle, so I would think 9 mm thru-axle is worth it as the best I can get. Is it a noticeable improvement over 9 mm QR?
    The size of the end caps that sit against the fork drop outs seems to make more difference all things being equal. A good skewer that clamps tightly such as a Shimano internal cam or a bolt on skewer (I like Delta Axlerods since they have a steel nut on them which lets you really tighten them down) will go a long way too.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok, so the 9 mm thru-axle won't give you those benefits? True, one could save money, but I suppose the idea is if you're sticking with a 9 mm fork for a while, you've got no option of going 15 mm. I am making sure my hubs are at least compatible with 15 mm from now on bc all the bikes I'm looking at have 15 mm forks.
    Last edited by morkys; 11-24-2012 at 01:31 PM.