mtbr member

American Classic Front Hubs

Yay or nay? How are these hubs (particularly the front hub) holding up? I've heared of sheared rotor mounts but did this just occur on older models, or newer versions as well? Before Disc Reinforcing Rings were used? And okay to use with180mm rotors?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Used them heavily for years and never had an issue. Light and reliable. Rear hub engagement is too low (feels like 12 Poe due to ring drive).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    ^ Agreed, those rear hubs suck. I think they moved away from the old cam plate design, but its still nothing special.

AC uses a cheap asian imported design, marks it up 10 times and resells. They're certainly not high end hubs. Id buy budget asian hubs before I paid them for the same thing with a sticker.

Not that theres anything wrong with asian hubs, some of them are pretty great these days... but they are low cost hubs. Paying brand name prices for them seems silly to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If someone knows where to buy asian (Rear) hubs that are same weight and as reliable as the AC, please let me have the link

But dont't think the Rotaz,A2Z, Circus Monkey and Novatec are the same league they are either heavier (Novatec) or more fragile than the American Classic.
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    For a long time, A2Z's were identical to AC hubs, and WTB hubs. bikehubstore.com sells a very similar hub to the one i run. It has bigger bearings, more engagement, and is comparable in weight to AC. Also easy to get replacement parts.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As owning a Rotaz and american claasic hub. They are NOT the same....Rotaz weighed the same but was junk under my 230lbs body. Totally different freehub design also.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester