mtbr member
    Apr 2006

American Classic AM 29's versus Stans Flows or Arch EX's (yes, I've searched!)

I've been gleaning as much info off of existing threads regarding the current versions of both of these wheelsets, but I was wondering if I'm missing anything.

Going into my LBS on Friday to plunk down some money for him to either build me Stans rims with King or Hope hubs (or I9 but he said he's had a lot of people having quality issues with them?) or just having him order me some pre-built American Classic AM 29 wheels. Probably Flows if I go Stans, but maybe Arch EX?

These would be going on a Transition Bandit 29. 15mm TA front, and whatever it is on the rear.

I am rather confused, in that I see very strong opinions on both rims, and I'm not sure how much experience people have with riding on both.

It seems like I see a lot of people preaching about how stiff the AC rims are- but then I see other people saying that they dent easily around the bead, etc etc. They also seem to be lighter than Flows

And then I see other people raving about the Flows, but I also see people saying they are flexy and whatnot.

As far as hubs, I don't need super quick engagement of say the CK hubs, but I want to make sure that whatever I do buy is quality and is easy to work on without tons of frequent maintenance. I also like that the AC hubs have the steel thinger, where I would have to pay extra on the CK hubs to get the steel part where the cassette goes on.

I fluctuate in weight between 193-200 or so, not including my hydration pack and toolkit. I don't race, but I'm gradually getting into more drops and such as my skill progresses, and I live in an area with tons of rocks.

I am guessing that I can just flip a coin and either set will work fine, but I'm not sure! It's my first "nice" wheelset and the goal is for a nice, quality set that will at least last as long as I have the bike, so like 5 years or so.

Any input would be great, thanks!

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    I had a set of Stans Arch EX with their own hubs built up by Stans and am very happy with them so far. They're on an Epic 29er and I use it mostly for XC with the occasional DH and some rocky stuff and they're holding up great. After three months they're still tight and true. I'm around 225 geared up ready to ride. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks! I ended up ordering some Flows laced to King hubs. The AC's were on backorder from wherever my LBS could get them from so that made that decision easy lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I also contemplated the AC's - but couldn't justify that much more $$ than what I just ordered the Arch ex on Hope Pro 2 evos... thanks Speedgoat!! Cant wait to get em on my anthem x1 29er