Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

American Classic 29ER RACE wheelset everyday use?

Can an AMERICAN CLASSIC 29ER RACE WHEELSET be used for everyday riding? Weight is a claimed 1419g. Not sure what rider weight limit is. Have heard AM CLASSIC WHEELS are strong and tough!! As light or lighter than some carbon rims out on the market right now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Well, they claim the max rider weight is 200 or 210 lbs... something in that range. I'm about 175 these days, and I'm using my set as an "everyday" wheelset. I'll post up if I have any problems with them. So far, though, I'm really digging them. They're very wide, and that lends a lot of lateral support to the tire.

Claimed weight is spot on, too. I think my set weighed 1421g with tape but without valves.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's awesome. Can't wait til mine come in as they are on back order and I have to wait til beginning of April to get mine. What tire setup are you using with them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Well, they claim the max rider weight is 200 or 210 lbs... something in that range. I'm about 175 these days, and I'm using my set as an "everyday" wheelset. I'll post up if I have any problems with them. So far, though, I'm really digging them. They're very wide, and that lends a lot of lateral support to the tire.

Claimed weight is spot on, too. I think my set weighed 1421g with tape but without valves.
    Hey mate, I'm the same weight as you and getting a set of either these race 29's or tubeless 29's. I ride and race XC on fairly rocky track with some half meter or so drop offs at points . Would you recommend these wheels? I am very keen on the huge weight saving but i'm worried about stiffness and durability, i plan to use it as an "everyday" wheelset. How long have you had them and how have you found there stiffness?

Cheers from Australia, Torren

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey mate, I'm the same weight as you and getting a set of either these race 29's or tubeless 29's. I ride and race XC on fairly rocky track with some half meter or so drop offs at points . Would you recommend these wheels? I am very keen on the huge weight saving but i'm worried about stiffness and durability, i plan to use it as an "everyday" wheelset. How long have you had them and how have you found there stiffness?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torren_lamont View Post

I really can't comment on rim strength, as I haven't had them for very long, and I don't normally destroy rims. I get 2-3 feet of air on a regular basis on my XC rides, but I'm a fairly smooth rider, and the terrain is not super rocky.

If it's true XC riding you do, and you don't crash often and/or hard, then the XC Race wheels will probably be fine for you. But if you ride with more of an aggressive, abusive style and crash occasionally, then these wheels are too nice and expensive to risk destoying (IMHO).
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Hi everybody,

So, did you guys tested more the wheelset?

I'm 195 lbs, ride XC but I don't do drops, only fast passes over rocks, etc... I'm planning buying this wheelset to my Superfly 100 PRO, but first I would like to hear more comments.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    lets keep the conversation going, how are the wheels holding up. I am also looking at these.

How can the rear handled torque? Notice anything when you give it some gas up a punchy little climb. (looking at 29er) Im 180 lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just to add my $0.02 in here. I just ordered this wheelset at my lbs and they are BO'd until May I'll be using them as my everyday wheels and can't wait for them to get here. I don't do much heavy riding so these should last me quite some time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by tcc13 View Post
    Just to add my $0.02 in here. I just ordered this wheelset at my lbs and they are BO'd until May I'll be using them as my everyday wheels and can't wait for them to get here. I don't do much heavy riding so these should last me quite some time.
    You might wanna check on that. Mine were also back ordered and I received my set on Monday. They're at my LBS getting put on my new Scott Spark Expert along with a handful of weight weenie parts. The wheelset is gonna be used as an everyday set also, so pics and update coming soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Interesting. I was there when it was ordered and my guy was talking to someone at either AC or his distributor and asked how long I was willing to wait since it wouldn't be until May to get them. Hopefully you're right and they come in sooner.

Looking forward to your pics and review.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well, unfortunately you may be right as I had to wait about a month til I got mine. AM seems to be having a hard time keeping up the supply and demand on these wheels. They are manufactured overseas (China) which delays the process even more so with customs. Just curious, which color did you order? I have the black rims and white hubs. Maybe could be the reason for long delay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yah, I just realized from your comment about ordering them to when you posted you got them was about a month.

Seriously...China built?? Thought they were American made...sux.

I got the same setup as yours which I think is the only combo that is mentioned on the AC website.

mtbr member

Tubeless ready tires?

What kind of tires are you guys running on these? Anybody have success with tubeless ready tires despite the bead supposedly being optimized for non-tubeless tires as mentioned in the link below? I was hoping to run Racing Ralph but those are tubeless ready.

Interbike 2011: New Wheels from American Classic | Dirt Rag Magazine

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Copenhagen View Post
    What kind of tires are you guys running on these? Anybody have success with tubeless ready tires despite the bead supposedly being optimized for non-tubeless tires as mentioned in the link below? I was hoping to run Racing Ralph but those are tubeless ready.

Interbike 2011: New Wheels from American Classic | Dirt Rag Magazine
    Interesting. I'm going to have to my LBS about this.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Same questions

Keeping this tread live. I have the same questions.

- how does the Race 29 hold up to everyday XC use?
    - what tires work with this new rim design? I was planning on using racing ralphs, but now may go with Icons.

M
    M

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    bump

mtbr member
    I've been riding this wheelset for a good bit now. No durability issues, and I haven't had to true up the rim at all. The wide rim really does lend some extra lateral stability to the tire- I'm now running about 2 psi less than I am with Crest rims.

The center rim channel is very deep, however, and it makes seating the bead difficult. I needed to remove the valve core and hit it with a strong blast of air to get my Ikon and Ignitor to seat. I haven't tried to mount a tire with UST compliant beads, however.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have the 26 race wheels. I remember reading that Dirtrag article and being a bit concerned, since so many of the tires I like are now tubeless ready. So I emailed AC, and my bike shop also spoke to their rep. The short story: article is wrong, and tubeless ready tires can be used. The person I spoke with did mention that some tires have such a big bead that they can be a problem (example used was Schwalbe). That said, I set up one of my preferred combos - Racing Ralph tubeless ready rear, Rocket Ron tubeless ready front - and it was super easy. Not too tight a fit, sealed up with a floor pump. They've held air perfectly, although I've only had one quick ride so far - but so far so good. As far as them being everyday wheels - not so sure. Would depend on how big you are, and what your definition of "everyday" is. AC told me that while of course you could use them as everyday wheels, they are extremely light so you might expect to true them a bit more. I planned on them being race day only - but am going to use them more often and see how they fare, then use accordingly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the update guys

mtbr member
    Chunky, thanks for the information. I called American Classic and got a similar answer to you. Sounds like the rims should be fine with TL-ready tires.

mtbr member
    Anymore feedback about Schwalbe 29er tires with these rims and ease/difficulty of setting up or burps/lack thereof?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well finally got my AC MTB Race wheel set and paired them up with Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25 tires. My LBS recommended them and installed them for me. They didn't mention anything about problems so I think it's ok. These wheels are crazy light.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback tcc13. And if you can, give us some feed back after first tire change or re-gooping. So now these Race MTB29's are on my short list. And yea I love the Ralphs/Rons so much that I'm pretty much making my next rim/wheel choice based in large part on reliability and compatibility with these tires. It's reassuring to hear your/their experience, though it would be more relevant from maybe a relative noob tire installer like me who wants to hear a startling/satisfying PING!! bead setting with a floor pump, even if pumping furiously is required.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I commented a little earlier in this post...but a bit of an update. I have the race 26 wheels, but I suspect installation is comparable. At first I set them up just like I do with Stan's rims - bit of soap, floor pump, get up to about 40 psi, then let some air out the next day. I didn't hear the 'snap'/ping like I do with the Stan's. Ended up with a bit of a wobble. Rode them, no issues, but the wobble was annoying. So I went back and looked at the American Classic instructions - similar, but they also suggest soaping inside of bead. Did that, and also went higher with psi - about 45 - 50 - it was at that point that they snapped into place. Then next day lowered them to high 20s psi. Perfect seal, perfectly aligned. Ridden with zero issues since. So to make a long story short - just be prepared for a bit more soap, and using a bit more pressure at first compared to Stan's rims. But super easy - extremely happy with set up. This was with TLR Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast