mtbr member
    Sep 2005

We the people ... American Classic 225 Disc and Mavic 717 spoke length help

I'm building a new set of wheels and using American Classic Disc 225 Hubs and Mavic 717 Rims. I've used 2 spoke length calculators using the numbers below for a 3 cross pattern and have come up with 269mm as the need spoke lengths. However, after I laced them up the spokes are still way too long. I've never run across this problem and was wondering if anyone else has laced up this combo and if you have what were the spoke lengths you used.

Mavic 717 Rim diameter: 559
    American Classic Disc 225
    Spoke Circle Diameter: 66mm
    C-T-O Left Flange: 27.43mm
    C-T-O Right Flange: 22.57mm

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~
    I'm rebuilding that same wheel now and went 258, it had 260's before and they were a tiny bit too long. Seems 260 is a common length for 26" 3x wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Rim diameter

Thanks for the info. I think the problem I have is that the rim diameter that i fI found online and that is printed on the rim is 559. I don't think that is the correct rim diameter, I will manually measure it and re-calcualte.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CDale
    Thanks for the info. I think the problem I have is that the rim diameter that i fI found online and that is printed on the rim is 559. I don't think that is the correct rim diameter, I will manually measure it and re-calcualte.
    If you want a lazy no brainer calculator use the dt swiss one. Pick your hub and rim, # of spokes and crosses and you are done. Do Not input diameter or distances.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I found the DT Swiss Calculator last night and found out the Rim diameter for a 717 is 542 not 559 like I orginally used. Re-ran the numbers and they came out to 260.

Thanks for everyone's help!

A wheelist
    The world's easiest spoke calculator is right here. Use the '0' decimal place setting to round 'em out for you. Measure your own parts too.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I believe the spocalc spreadsheet comes up with 258/259 for this setup. I think the 717's are the same dimensions as Stan's Olympic rims which is use with 258mm spokes.

Did you specify 32 hole?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Assuming xc717disc rims

I built the wheelset you are building and came up with 260/259 for the rear but the place i ordered spokes from did not have 259s so i built with 260/260 and it came out fine. The drive side did stick out past the nipple about 1/2mm but I got the tension plenty high enough.

Stan Olympics erd is 536, xc717 are 542.