mtbr member
    Dec 2007

AM Wheels - DT Swiss M1700 or Hope/Stans Arch

I am about to pull the trigger on a wheelset for a new build. Its a 2008 Banshee Pyre, 4.5" travel, which will be used for regular trail rides, epic rides, and a bit of non serious racing.

For about the same price ($400-450) and same weight (1700g), I can get either of the following:

DT Swiss M1700 wheelset
    or
    Hope Pro2 Evo hubs, Stans Arch EX rims, DB spokes, handbuilt by a good shop

I have heard good things about the DT wheelset. But I like the idea of a standard wheelset instead of something with proprietary spokes and tools. DT's are full tubeless, Stans are "tubeless ready".

Anyone have experience or a advice either way?

Thanks

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Been riding Flows for over three years, and recently have been riding a set of DT Swiss M1800 Tubeless wheels. I don't know why they were compelled to use the hexagonal nipples on the DT Swiss wheels. And I understand the rationale for having standard parts on your wheels, but if you have a good wheelset, you are not likely to need those parts often, if at all. here a number of DT Swiss wheels listed as "M1700", so I can't be sure which hubs you have, and what the internal width of the rim is. The Arch EX is almost as wide as the old Flow rims, which is around 21 mm. The M1800's I am riding have the rim listed as a little over 19 mm internal width. I like the width for larger tires, but 19+mm is OK for trail bikes.

The DT tubeless rims are super easy to deal with when mounting tubeless, where even though the Stans rims are tubeless capable, dealing with tape on the Hopes vs. not having to deal with tape on the T Tubeless rims makes a good argument for them.

If the DT Swiss wheels you're looking at do not have the star ratchets, then I think I would just go for the Arch/Hope wheels.

$400 to $450 for either set is a very good price.