mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Am I crazy for wanting Fast Trak Controls??

On my Scott Scale 29er I have Rocket Rons. Right now the trails are super muddy and unrideable probably for a few weeks unless we get a serious heat wave.

The Rocket Rons on pavement...are knobby, loud, don't seem like they roll the best, and I am probably damaging them.

So I've been wanting to roll with some other tires. I've been thinking about getting Fast Traks front and rear as I have one on my FSR in which I've done over 1000 miles on pavement with. They seem to be great for pavement and hardpack. I don't want low volume street tires and want to be able to do some trail riding but be very fast on pavement too.

I know it's going to probably be just over 100 bucks for a set of Controls.....is this a logical decision??? I'm not sure what else i'd like to run. I have a raceking in 26 but I'm not sure how I feel about them. Seems like the Fast Trak would offer better trail grip.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    What about the "performance" version of the racing ralph ? I think they can be had for like $35 each.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: Am I crazy for wanting Fast Trak Controls??

Not sure about those due to the gaps between the knobs which is part of the issue the rocket rons have on pavement.

The Fast Traks and Race Kings have overlapping knobs.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: Am I crazy for wanting Fast Trak Controls??

I should add that i am looking at doing 20-50+ mile pavement rides....while trying to retain trail ability because I hate changing tires.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member

Am I crazy for wanting Fast Trak Controls??

I think that's a fine idea. I loved my Fast Traks when I had them. Used them on everything and they were great on pavement.

mtbr member
    I've got a brand new fast trak control take off from a 2013 epic I'll sell you.. never been ridden, pm me if you're interested. I just went with the sworks fast trak on the back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Had them ft/rr on my hardtail and rr on my FSR(Epic). I really like them for mixed ashphalt/trail riding. Will put one the ft when I wear out the Ground Control on there.

sheep in FOX clothing
    You may not want to hear this, but I think on a 50 mile road ride you're really beating yourself up on any off-road-intended tire.

I mean, the time to change the tires over and back would be less than the time you'd save by riding 50 miles on slick tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    You may not want to hear this, but I think on a 50 mile road ride you're really beating yourself up on any off-road-intended tire.

I mean, the time to change the tires over and back would be less than the time you'd save by riding 50 miles on slick tires.
    Well I'm already familiar with this, i've gone 3200 miles since I've started riding. I do many 20-50 mile rides. I have one bike with Maxxis Overdrives (street tires) and I haven't found much of a difference if any between it and my FSR wth Spec' Hardrock'r and Fast Trak Control (both which roll very fast). Or I haven't found any reason to pick that bike over the others, it is a 90s rigid Hardrock with 170mm crank arms. I just took it out on a 50 mile railtrail ride and to be honest I prefer to be on the FSR with hardrock'r / Fast Trak combo. Those are 26ers though. I noticed while on my 29er that it seemed to roll easier even with the Rocket Rons....so something like Race Kings or Fast Traks should be even nicer.

Seems like in order to get any real benefit I would need some lighter road wheels and those ultra low volume tires...if i can find some with disc brakes. I nearly ended up with an identical wheelset for the 29er if i wasn't distracted at lunch thus missing the auction...that would have been the key.

Now I think my Captain rolls slower and the Conti verticals are definitely slower (and heavier). Ironically I have a 5.6 mile pavement PR set with the Hardrock'r / Captain combo (though HT).

mtbr member
    I'd consider a Renegade S works too
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

no trees are safe
    Have you thought about Schwalbe SmartSam? They behave very good on pavement and can also handle some xc tracks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    I had renegades on my 29er hardtail, super fast tires but they get smoked on the pavement pretty fast. My rear tire only lasted a month.

Since then I switched to fast trak controls. 2.2 front & 2.0 rear set up tubeless.
    I have put well over 1000 miles riding a mixture of pavement, fireroads and trails. Still have a ton of tread life on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have Fast Tracks on my Rock Combo and love them. Perfect for fire road and pavement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Smart Sams look interesting.

Kulhavy won his gold with a Renegade rear and Fast Trak up front. The Renegade is fast indeed, I tested one on a demo but it was a bit worn and made climbs tricky. I figure I'd stay with the Fast Trak.

I had my other bike that has a Fast Trak Control up front (pictured above) out on the trails for a test/inspection and they were great even with how soft the trails were. I do like the Fast Traks and will probably pick them up later on as I still want to use my 29er for some rail trail duty, they do hold up well on pavement. Right now the trails are drying out faster than i though and that 100 dollars went towards a new fork so they'll have to wait.