mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Which AM Classic Wheels for me? Race29 or All Mountian 29?

I am trying to decide on a new everyday wheel set for my 29er. I have a 2012 Kona Kahuna, hard tail with 100mm of travel. The wheels currently on it are WTB SpeedDisc All Mountains with Formula Disc hubs and 14ga spokes. My current wheel set is pretty heavy (estimated ~2200+g) and don't want to stay true with the riding I am doing. So a lighter/stronger wheel set is high on my list of upgrades for this year.

There are a ton of options out there, but I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. I am looking at either the American Classic Race29 or the American Classic All Mountain29. Both of the 2013 vintage.

From what I have gathered there are not many differences between these two wheels. 1mm of rim height on the cross sectional (same inside/outside width), ~$125, and the interesting part 293g. Some reviews indicate that there are design changes as well, but this is over my head. Please chime in if I am missing anything.

I do a lot of mixed riding. Local single track, and urban riding, and just plain old bike commuting. So I would like to go for the Race29 wheels for the noticeable weight decrease at minimal cost. I am 5'9" and about ~180lbs geared up.

My main concern with the Race29 is their strength. All of the reviews on MTBR are from folks doing XC riding, but there is very little input about how the Race wheels hold up to a bit rougher riding. e.g. Roots/Rock gardens, jumps, urban drops (~3' to pavement), stair cases, ect... Probably the most important factor is that I tend to ride pretty heavy over obstacles (something I hope to improve on, but can't bank on ATM).

Please let me know your thoughts and stories with these wheels. Would I be OK with going for the lighter race wheel, or should I opt for the heavier/beefier All Mountain wheel? What type of riding really warrants going with the All Mountain wheelset?

Thanks in Advance!

mtbr member
    Based on your weight and the description of your riding, the Race29 wheelset is not for you.

I weigh a little less than you, and I don't think I'm too hard on wheels, but I managed to bash up my rear Race29 rim in a pretty short amount of time. I now save this wheelset for races and spirited group rides.

I would go with the All Mountain or a Stan's Arch EX wheelset.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.