no trees are safe

Allrounder tyre..

Hello there. My old tyres are old and I've recently noticed that when cornering at higher speeds my thread just tears off... it doesn't get separated just falls a part. I guess the rubber has went brittle. And I dont think its safe to ride it in corners anymore... I mostly ride XC but I also go on some hills with steep climbs and gravel, loose soil. Unfortunately I have to ride my bike to the trails on a road which goes from 30m to 10km.

I live in Europe so some brands are not available here.

I was thinking about a set of Rubena Scylla or Schwable Smart Sam 2,1, Hutchinson TORO or Maxxis Crossmarks. Perhaps go a bit more aggressive and get Michelin Wild grip in back for better traction uphill or something similar. I was also thinking about Richtey Z-MAX evolution which I could get really cheap. Kenda Kinetics Look awesome but I'm worried about rolling resistance.
    I wouldn't want to spend more than 50 dollars for a pair.

I ride a 26 HT.

Any advice is welcomed.

Save Jesus
    People typically get a grippier tire in the front because the front tire creates less rolling resistance, and it is better to have more front grip than rear.

In the US you could get Specialized Fast Trak or Renegade for $50 USD or less per tire.

Edit: wait, $50 per PAIR?!?!

You can only get off brand or cheap tires for that price. I have no recommendations for you except to also take a look at CST.

no trees are safe
    My apologies I've met Euro not USD

I can get one Spec Fast Trak for about 25EU here. That would fit just in the budget. I was thinking of getting something gripper on the back cause of my wheel skids quite often when I try to climb steeper hills and it gets quite annoying. But if you say that its a stupid idea...

"El Whatever"
    Anyways... at 32USD (approx 25 Euro) per tyre you won't get into major leagues anyways.

On those steep, gravel climbs, most tyres loose traction. Try to pedal circles (maintain a high cadence and avoid chain tension variations) and get your weight as back as possible to avoid spinning.

If you're concerned with rolling resistance, you have to make the decision if you want a tyre to grip over those gravel climbs or decent rolling over pavement.

Look at the Performance line from Schwalbe. You can get their Racing Ralph in that casing and it may fit your budget. It's a very nice rear tyre.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Allrounder tyre

I put on a Conti Trail King in the rear. It has the Black Chili compound with the Apex sidewalls. Really great traction, big volume so you can run a lower pressure, and it rolls pretty decent. I've found it works well for me on wet roots, rocks, etc. I ride mostly in Pennsylvania where there's a lot of rocks and roots. Hope this helps.I picked mine up for around $40 US $$$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mountain Kings are pretty good, too.

no trees are safe
    I dont really need a top of the line tyre, I'm not a racer and I dont run tubeless cause of rims. I need something reliable that can be used on pavement and wont slip much on climbing. Just searching for something decent that would last a season.

Ill check some contimentals. Theyre quite affordable here.

How about Conti Mountain king in front and Schwable Smart Sam in back?
    Last edited by Millfox; 07-16-2012 at 11:55 AM.

no trees are safe
    Ive found a good deal on Maxxis tires in our local shop.

I'd like to ask if Maxxis Ignitor in front and Maxxis Monorail in bakc is a good combo? Thanks!

no trees are safe
    Nobody? Oh come on this is probably the largerst MTB forum on the internet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hard to find a terrible tire now-a-days. $50 a pair is on the low scale. Hucknroll had WTB Wolverines for less than $20 each. Not the greatest all rounder but it does it.