mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Are all these tire reviews pretty much worthless?

There seems to be growing evidence that rim width plays a big role in how a tire performs. Does that mean a tire review is pretty much worthless if you're running rims significantly wider or narrower than the reviewer's?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Not necessarily. But, more often than not posters don't provide enough info for us to learn much from them. I often provide my riding style, size, bike setup, my trail terrain, and whatever info that I think might be useful when I post so that people get a better understanding of my review and where I am coming from. Many people may think that this is too much, but the main point of this website should be to provide each other with lots of useful info that can help us find the equipment that best suits us. It doesn't hurt to ask questions (like rim size) if you need more info from a post, especially with tires because there are so many variables that make a tire good for one person and hated by another.

Unfit Norwegian
    Besides: What works on the trails that one reviewer rides on might be completely different from what works on the ones you ride on.

Reviews are good research, but doesn't always give all the answers. ...If you don't happen to be lucky enough to find reviews from riders in your area, that is.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    There seems to be growing evidence that rim width plays a big role in how a tire performs. Does that mean a tire review is pretty much worthless if you're running rims significantly wider or narrower than the reviewer's?
    The rim width mainly affects whether a tire feels "squirmy" or not, but doesn't make a huge difference in traction, rolling resistance, absorption, etc.

eBiker
    Tire reviews are always just a pile of data points. Specific terrain. Rider style. Etc. How those data points line up with the terrain you ride, and how you ride is the evaluation you need to make when reading the reviews.

Rim width is just another comparative data point.

P

Let's fly!
    Exactly. Tire reviews that say "wonderful" and "best ever" are worthless without specifying the type of terrain and rider style. I'm do trail riding on hardpack and rocks. I race on hardpack and loose-over-hard. People who rave about the Smallblock 8 or Slant 6 obviously are not trying to go fast on loose-over-hard where those tires feel like you're riding on marbles. I'm currently trying to decide on the next front tire for racing. I've been using a Spec Captain which works well for traction, but has higher rolling resistance than I'd like. I'm considering the Geax Sequaro or Mexcal. Both are rated pretty highly, but very little info on whether they are rated for the terrain and purposes that I want to use them for.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    Not because of rim width, although that does play a apart....

Most of the tire reviews like many other things you must take with a grain for salt. Many many people who post reviews don't have much experience with others and if they do its a good chance they are riding on different terrain than you are. I cant tell you how many times Ive listened to tire reviews and some of the highest reviewed were the worst ive run, when some that receive low reviews are the best...

I tend not to listen to anyone reviewing bike anything anymore 99% of the time they are 100% wrong
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

~Reformed Mechanic~
    A note on rim width. I am a firm believer in wide rims. I will never go back to anything under 28mm after my Pacenti's, Id love to try these 35mm's!
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...