mtbr member
    Oct 2010

All mountain capable full UST spec rim choices?

I am looking for options for a capable all mountain rim that is a fully UST spec rim. I do not want to use tape. I have had trouble with Flow rims and others burping. I would like to go full UST. What are my options for a strong, stiff all mountain UST rim. Oh yeah, I should mention I am weight conscious and these will be built on DT Swiss 240s hubs (20mm front and 142x12mm rear). Enve says their carbon AM UST rim will not be available for "awhile"! That was my first choice! Any help appreciated.

Former Bike Wrench
    Bontrager Duster from the LBS...uses a molded rim strip, does not need sealant with UST tires.

eBiker
    DT Swiss 500 w/rim strip: strip has beadlock like UST works quite well

WTB has some new rims called TCS. But the AM ones are hard to find right now. UST beadlock + rim strip.

Spank has a beadlock, but I have not heard much about conversions.

Sorry, all above have tape.

No tape = Mavic.

P

aka greyranger

rim

Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    I am looking for options for a capable all mountain rim that is a fully UST spec rim. I do not want to use tape. I have had trouble with Flow rims and others burping. I would like to go full UST. What are my options for a strong, stiff all mountain UST rim. Oh yeah, I should mention I am weight conscious and these will be built on DT Swiss 240s hubs (20mm front and 142x12mm rear). Enve says their carbon AM UST rim will not be available for "awhile"! That was my first choice! Any help appreciated.
    Six years on Mavic 819, only burped on really hard hits. Rim is strong and has held air great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Bontrager Duster from the LBS...uses a molded rim strip, does not need sealant with UST tires.
    This is not on the Bontrager site. Do you know of or have a link to any information?

Off the back...
    Mavic 823 - good width, very strong. A bit heavy for XC, but good everywhere else.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bpd131 View Post
    This is not on the Bontrager site. Do you know of or have a link to any information?
    Same rim as the Rhythm wheelset except in a 32 hole...you'll have to go into a Trek LBS to order. I believe they are 28mm wide and 490g per rim (not including the rim strips and valves).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Same rim as the Rhythm wheelset except in a 32 hole...you'll have to go into a Trek LBS to order. I believe they are 28mm wide and 490g per rim (not including the rim strips and valves).
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the quick responses so far. I am familiar with the Mavics, which are fine, but the 819 too narrow and the 823 is way too heavy. I do a lot of climbing with my Mojo HD. As I thought there does not seem to be much available for AM UST wheels. I will keep looking. Thanks again.

usually cranky
    mavic or shimano for no tape. others will need some kind of strip or tape.

mtbr member
    i've got about 8 rides on these rims laced with revo's to 240s hubs and am happy so far. rim strip snapped right into place, valve tightened up easily. i couldn't get my 2bliss tires to mount with a floor pump like i could my 819's but a quick shot from the compressor was not an issue.

rims are a good weight and are nice and wide for AM/trail riding sized tires. i've had a few pings to the rim (tire fully compressing - pinch flat for sure with tubes) and so far no burps or any other air loss issues.

this post does have me a little worried about the longevity of the rims so we'll see how things are over the long term. granted there have been quite a few posts about these rims and this is the first i've read regarding any durability issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    DT Swiss Tricons are full UST. I don't own a pair, so can't advise on durability.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I use the Easton Havens and love them. They are pretty light, look great, and are a true UST rim. You can get them in carbon if you want to spend more and save some weight. I have the 29er aluminum version and love them. I spent under $500 for the set as a 2010 close out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran_Flyer View Post
    DT Swiss Tricons are full UST. I don't own a pair, so can't advise on durability.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbngringo View Post
    I use the Easton Havens and love them. They are pretty light, look great, and are a true UST rim. You can get them in carbon if you want to spend more and save some weight. I have the 29er aluminum version and love them. I spent under $500 for the set as a 2010 close out.
    OP is looking for rims only to lace to his own hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks again for the replies. I hoping there was something I had not heard of. Looks like I will wait out the new Enve Carbon UST AM rim