mtbr member
    Sep 2004

All around 29er tire?

I have a full rigid 29er (Surly Karate Monkey) that I use mostly on paved and gravel roads (I've got a full suspension rig for actual mountain biking). Presently I have slicks on it and really dig the low rolling resistance. That said, I'm enjoying the bike so much that I'm contemplating doing some full or half day rides that would not only include gravel, but some fairly rough single track (rocks and roots, short ups and downs), as well, along with a full compliment of pavement. Can anyone suggest a tire that wouldn't give up too much rolling resistance on pavement but hook up a bit better in the woods? Any advice would be much appreciated.

banned
    Mar 2008
    Geax Saguaro..light, good volume and low tread height so they roll good

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bula
    I have a full rigid 29er (Surly Karate Monkey) that I use mostly on paved and gravel roads (I've got a full suspension rig for actual mountain biking). Presently I have slicks on it and really dig the low rolling resistance. That said, I'm enjoying the bike so much that I'm contemplating doing some full or half day rides that would not only include gravel, but some fairly rough single track (rocks and roots, short ups and downs), as well, along with a full compliment of pavement. Can anyone suggest a tire that wouldn't give up too much rolling resistance on pavement but hook up a bit better in the woods? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    WTB Nanoraptor. The first 29er tire and still the best for the conditions you described.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have both the Geax and the WTB's...go with the Nano's...Geax has a weight penalty and handles the rougher stuff a bit better to go along with the volume that you won't need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks. Done

I read the reviews on the Geaux and they look like what I want. Ordered. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well you can't go wrong. I run the Nano;s on my F/S rig and the Geax on my Rigid ss to take advantage of the little better grip and cush of the the 2.2 casing.

banned
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bula
    I read the reviews on the Geaux and they look like what I want. Ordered. Thanks.
    Good choice

Avenger of Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeromelo
    I have both the Geax and the WTB's...go with the Nano's...Geax has a weight penalty and handles the rougher stuff a bit better to go along with the volume that you won't need.
    Where is the weight penalty on the Geax?
    Geax claims 640gr. on the Saguaro.
    WTB claims 650gr. on the Nano.
    I have Prowler SL right now, (726gr. claimed) and was looking for something lighter.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    Where is the weight penalty on the Geax?
    Geax claims 640gr. on the Saguaro.
    WTB claims 650gr. on the Nano.
    I have Prowler SL right now, (726gr. claimed) and was looking for something lighter.
    The Geax may claim 640 but mine came in at 730 gr on my digital scale. It is a great tire but it isn't lite.

Avenger of Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride
    The Geax may claim 640 but mine came in at 730 gr on my digital scale. It is a great tire but it isn't lite.
    Thanks, That answers my question.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mine weighted in at 710g....not bad given it's large volume.