mtbr member
    Feb 2008

alexrim dp17 on deore hub vs. xt wh775

My vertex 30 came stock with dp17 rims on deore hubs and I was just wondering if the 08 xt 775 wheelset is any lighter or will perform any better than my stock set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    use whatever wheelset you have, save for a better one, preferably custom built. best way to train up. So next time when you upgrade to one with higher engagment and lighter, you'll fly...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    what would be the best xc custom built wheelset for a 215lb guy

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    it depends on what you are after...

aggressive xc or for race...

all this will determine what hubs,spokes, rims to go for..
    best value will be hope with mavic 717 or dt 4.2d for your weight...

Flaccid Member
    Depends solely on how much you have to spend. You can get into DTSwiss 240's and DTSwiss 4.2s on Ebay, but with your Clydesdale weight, having a 1700-1800 gr wheel set could mean a shortened rim life and lack of lateral stiffness. You may need to look at something a bit heavier /beefier like a DT Swiss 340 with some DT Swiss 5.1s at around 2000 gr. Or go with some Hope hubs and a Mavic 821 rims.

Lots of options, but your 215 pounds is not XC racer 145 pounds, wispy thin and all muscle, which is what most of the 717 Mavics are designed for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thank you for your help but for some reason I decided to buy the xt 08 wheelset.. if it doesn't survive the season I guess I'll learn my lesson and take RandyBoy's advice ...