Fat boy Mod Moderator

alex DH19 and road tires?

i've got a redline d440... comes with alex DH19 rims right now i'm running trekking/hybrid/cx tires on em (700x40)

i'm planning on some longer rides (i use this bike primarly as a road/trainer bike) and am wanting to go to some "real" road tires...

so my question is what size would be safe with these? the web page doesn't list a max PSI but they are touted as "cross/trekking" rims

Tech Spec
    Pin joint 32 or 36 holes, silver, black
    700C, 580g, ERD 599.7mm, ETRTO 622X18mm

any thoughts on this?
    thanks guys
    mark
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Ground Pounder
    For their Ax19 rims Mavic says the minimum is a 28mm. The Ax19 series is 1mm larger than the DH19s internally. I bet you could run a _true_ 25mm.

At your weight I wouldn't go below a 28mm anyhow. I'd even think about a light 32mm. That's not a knock on your weight at all, if I'm even recalling it correctly. I'm a big guy as well at 205ish.

Unasked for advice: on longer, non-race, rides comfort is paramount IMO. Go with some supple folding 32s.
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    no worries on my fatness ... but ya fat skinnies sounds better (ya ya i know makes no sence)... my big thought is something a bit lighter and faster rolling then the kenda kross tires for the 62mile tour de cure i'm riding in 2 months... thanks for the info in min tire size and stuff though
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the DH19s on my touring bike with WTB All Terrainassaurus 700x35 tires and I would be nervous about putting a 28 on those rims. I purchased them as an inexpensive replacement set for the well-worn wheels that came with my touring bike. They were listed as a trekking touring (road) wheelset, but when I got them, they seemed far more 29er mtn, than 700c road. If you think about it, those rims are wider than a typical XC mtn rim.

BTW, I absolutely love the All Terrainassaurus 700x35 tires on my touring bike. They run real nice on the road (not quite as nice as a true road tire, but pretty nice), allow me to go lower pressure for more comfort, and if I come across a little singletrack on my ride, I feel comfortable checking it out.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.