mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Advice on Future Proof (hub adaptable) Trail Wheels ~$200

I just got a warranty replacement frame and the new frame does not have rim brake posts on the rear triangle and my current wheels do not have disc compatible hubs. I have a biking trip next weekend and am trying to figure out what the best route to go is. I am probably going to order some BB7s for the trip due to simplicity and low cost. I currently have a 4" XC bike but am looking to upgrade to a 5"~ trail bike within the next year or two. I am looking for some hubs that can be run with 9mm QR front and rear for now and then 20mm front and probably 12mm rear once I get the new bike. So...

- ~$200 budget
    - Trail-light AM riding
    - Adaptable hubs (9mm f/r now, 20/12mm f/r future)

Was looking at...
    - BWW wheel build
    - Chain Reaction wheel build

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Former Bike Wrench
    Your budget is probably not going to cover what you want, your better off getting a good wheelset now and upgrading in the future OR increasing your budget quite a bit. Good convertible hubs such as Hope Pro II's cost over $300 for the hubs alone. Shimano is kind of the king of cheap and good hubs and is what your going to find in your price range but they are not convertible. I suppose there might be some off brand, but the reality is that $200 just isn't going to cut it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Good convertible hubs such as Hope Pro II's cost over $300 for the hubs alone.
    At the same time, it's possible to get them much cheaper as a part of a complete build, for example, the Hope Hoops wheels. I have a pair of them, Hope Pro 2 hubs + DT Comp spokes (2.0-1.8-2.0) + ZTR Flow rims (note that neither component is proprietary). Excellent wheels which cost way less than the components alone. The hubs aren't the best available, but for the price these wheels are probably the best in their category, which by the way suits the OP's requirements, except the budget. I got my set for about $350.

For the budget you're probably stuck to custom builds. For $200, it's doubtful that you'll find both decent rims and a convertible hub. However, it doesn't seem impossible to find both decent rims (Mavic EN521?) and decent hubs (non-convertible, like Shimano XT, or try to look at those cheaper sealed bearings hubs at CRC, probably you'll find something convertible) for that price. Either case, the setup will not be what's called lightweight.

Also, I had a bad experience with a CRC build. I got a DT 4.2d+DT Comp+Nukeproof hubs wheelset built by them. The rear wheel would need complete retensioning and truing after a short initial period, so badly was it built. If you order a wheelset built by CRC, make sure a good wheel mechanic inspects it prior to the first ride.

local trails rider
    My CRC builds on Hope hubs and Mavic 721 rims have been troublefree (2 rear wheels, one front from them by now).

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Check out Perfomance bikes Forte Xenduro wheelset. If you can find a coupon should come out to around your $200 dollar price tag. I know the front hub is convertible from 9mm to 15 and I think it's also convertible to 20mm but cant remember off hand. The rear comes with a 10mm. Both a 9mm and 10mm thru bolt included. Rims run schrader and have an adapter for presta valves.

I purchased the front wheel after tacoing my DT 420 and was very impressed. Very strong and running true after 3 months of riding. I recently purchased the rear to complete the set. I'm very happy with the quality considering the price. If your still looking for an upgrade in the future you will have a nice back up set.

usually cranky
    bww wheelset, mavic en321 rims with a quandro lite 20mm front hub and xt rear. not that light and the rear isnt convertable to 12 mm but for $200 its not like you can ask for much. plus how many 5'' bikes have 12mm drop outs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the ideas guys.

So I priced out a bunch of setups both custom and prebuilt and I think I am going to get a set of Transition Revolution 25s. They are a bit heavy at 2070g, but I will manage. I'm pretty sure they are lighter than my current boat anchors. The hubs cover my bases now and in the future.

Front Hub: 20mm thru axle (20mm, 15mm, QR compatible) (15mm & QR conversion kits available seperately)
    Rear Hub: 135mm rear hub spacing, 10mm or 12mm interchangeable axle system. Wheelsets come standard with 10mm QR axle but nutted axles are available.

At $300 and a free $25 gift card form the shop I am ordering from, I pleased.

Any last thoughts before I order?

Save Jesus
    make sure your rims work well in a tubeless application if you ever go that route.