mtbr member
    May 2011

Advice on DH rims,tubes or tubless? which rims

I want to get this right the first time and do not want to buy another wheelset.I had MTX33's and loved them but was forced to run heavyduty tubes and it was heavy.I am wondering if I can get a tubless setup to work for me and my app.

First off I weigh over 300 and ride 80 to 90% road and I like to do light jumps 2 to 3ft drops and run up and down steps and just take short cuts where ever I go.

My bike was stolen with the MTX's so I am building another but am wondering if Gordo Salsa's or Stans would be better and run them tubeless. I run 1.5 to 1.9 inch tires and want something where I do not get flats.I always seem to get rear flats and when I run heavyduty tubes the problem goes away but I pay a hell of a price on weight and how much does wheel weight slow you down?

Thanks for any help!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    I want to get this right the first time and do not want to buy another wheelset.I had MTX33's and loved them but was forced to run heavyduty tubes and it was heavy.I am wondering if I can get a tubless setup to work for me and my app.

First off I weigh over 300 and ride 80 to 90% road and I like to do light jumps 2 to 3ft drops and run up and down steps and just take short cuts where ever I go.

My bike was stolen with the MTX's so I am building another but am wondering if Gordo Salsa's or Stans would be better and run them tubeless. I run 1.5 to 1.9 inch tires and want something where I do not get flats.I always seem to get rear flats and when I run heavyduty tubes the problem goes away but I pay a hell of a price on weight and how much does wheel weight slow you down?

Thanks for any help!
    At your weight I would not even consider tubeless. The risk would be pinch flatting the tire (cutting the casing) instead of just an inner tube.

IME a narrowish tire, such as you use, is more prone to pinch flats on a wide rim (>32mm) than on a narrower rim (25-28mm).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So what do you suggest? once I run Heavy tubes and high air pressure I have no issues with flats or pinches but the weight of the set up must slow me down?

I run the MTX33 because of my weight and they work great,real tough but like I said it creates weight issues. SO TUBELESS is out of the ? for me.I can live with that.

My best bet would probably be to go on a diet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    my advice holds little weight, but speaking of weight, im sure the reason you feel a need for DH wheels is because of your weight, from the research and price shopping i have done, I wanted a set of easton havoc DH's which are about $350, my buddy has a set on his super 8 and they are holding up well, look great, and i feel thats a competitive price, i forget if that was on jenson or pricepoint, and im not sure if the hubs supplied will work with your setup

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks