Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    15

    Advice on 26" wheelset

    I have a 2005 rockhopper comp (no disc) and I've started popping spokes on the back wheel (between 3 & 4k miles on it). Popped one, got it fixed, then popped another... sounds like this is a pretty common story.

    I'm usually up for a new project, but my life is insanely busy right now so I'm not to keen on learning how to replace the spokes on the entire wheel. Hub has a couple pits in it, so that probably would need to get addressed soon anyway.

    So, I'm looking to just get a whole new rear wheelset and be done with it, so I can get back on the road ASAP. But after looking at my options I'm pretty overwhelmed, it seems like the price range is pretty huge.

    So I'm hoping to get some advice towards where to start looking. I bike about 1,000 miles a year. I'd say maybe 5% of my riding is spent doing anything remotely hard, the other 95% is spent commuting, split evenly between pavement and the improved gravel bike trails in town. I weigh around 190 lb.

    So I'm not looking to break the bank with something incredibly fancy, but I do respect that quality is important in this area, and I don't want to end up with garbage because I was trying to be frugal. Does anybody have some tips on good products, or even advice to narrow down what price range I might want to look at?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29
    Set a budget first - if it were me I'd say $150-$200 for a rear wheel. Stans arch ex on Hope Pro hubs is a common suggestion (but hops's have a very noisy clicky sound).

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by dischucker View Post
    Set a budget first - if it were me I'd say $150-$200 for a rear wheel. Stans arch ex on Hope Pro hubs is a common suggestion (but hops's have a very noisy clicky sound).
    ^that wheel can't be built for under $200 (the hub cost more than that by itself) and the Arch EX is disc-brake only.

    I'd recommend a low cost non-disc Shimano XT hub, Velocity A23 rim, and DT Comp spokes with either alloy or brass nipples (brass if you commute on salted roads). Less than $250 and would outlive the bike.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    ^that wheel can't be built for under $200 (the hub cost more than that by itself) and the Arch EX is disc-brake only.
    Wiggle did have them as a set for $350 (usd) including 12% discount voucher and on sale about 1-2 months ago (I almost pulled the pin and got some) so I was guestimating the rear was ~$200 and front ~$150...(now back at $370 without voucher). But yes, they are disc brake only, sorry for that.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-19-2012, 02:33 PM
  3. New wheelset, spokes "plinking"
    By Call_me_Clyde in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM
  4. "Lighter weight" QR20 wheelset?
    By Borneo in forum Washington
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •