Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

9 T micro drive hub by Canfield Brothers

(from DH/FR forum)

9 T micro drive hub by Canfield Brothers

Canfield Brother's 9-Tooth Hub - Interbike 2011 Day 3 - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

Here it is everyone. The Canfield Brothers continue to innovate and introduce new products to help you go fast and make your bike better! This is the latest in their collection. The C2 9T micro-drive hub. With this hub you have the ability to run a cassette down to a 9 tooth. This hub is designed around a custom step-down free hub body allowing the fitment of a 10t and 9t cassette cog. The difference between the 11t and 9t is about 20%.

What does this mean? For XC riders you have the option of running a 1x set up with a 9-32/34 cassette. You can also run a 2x or 3x setup for the ultimate gear range. For DH riders, a 9-26 fitís the bill nicely. With this cassette you are no longer required to run the typical 36-40 chain ring. Remember the 10t is 10% taller than an 11t. And the 9t is 10% taller than the 10t. Thereís your 20% difference in gearing. This in combination with the new micro chain guide offerings, allow a chain ring of 28-32. You will gain BB clearance, have less chain and have the effect of longer crank arms when pedaling a smaller ring. I have to say the feeling is drastic.

I am very proud to say I have been riding this hub on my JedI for 2 + months now and its flawless. Riding, racing and lots of jumping. 32t up front with a MRP micro guide, and 9-26 on the back. The 9t feels like Iím pushing a 40t chain ring. Huge top end with a gain in clearance that just flat out works awesome. Makes my 165mm cranks feel longer. Now I want 160 or 155mm cranks. The engagement of this hub is audible and precise. It will be available in popular rear hub spacing configurations.

What do I think? I have not had to adjust it once since building up my wheel. NO BS. It exhibits little to no drag. I am completely sold on the benefits and see this as the MTB drive train future. The Canfield Brothers are always thinking ! Thank You Bros !

(Lance has been riding 9-32 on his Nimble 9)

aka baycat
    So it would be a 1 x 3 setup? What would be a good size front ring to run for a 29er?

mtbr member
    bmx riders have been using SS hubs with 9t drivers for many years. the main complaints are rapid tooth wear (think of it, your chain is only touching 4.5 teeth at any one time) and short bearing life. granted, 9t drivers on 14mm axles require very tiny bearings, so a normal mtb hub has more room for stronger bearings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    bmx riders have been using SS hubs with 9t drivers for many years. the main complaints are rapid tooth wear (think of it, your chain is only touching 4.5 teeth at any one time) and short bearing life. granted, 9t drivers on 14mm axles require very tiny bearings, so a normal mtb hub has more room for stronger bearings.
    BMX riders are also always on that same cog, whereas I find myself in my top gear for maybe 5% of any normal trail ride (YMMV, literally). I don't doubt that wear and smoothness will be less than with an 11t cog, I just don't think it will be too big an issue to overcome the positives that it brings if you're wanting or needing that kind of setup.

I don't know the BMX stuff, but I've seen some hubs here and there with bushings in their small drivers because they can be stronger than tiny ball bearings. Seems like a smart idea for something like this, if you could have an easily replaceable bushing for the stepped-down section. Who knows, maybe Canfield is already a step ahead of me there.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G. View Post
    So it would be a 1 x 3 setup? What would be a good size front ring to run for a 29er?
    No, You would fit 6 cogs to the normal diameter FH body.

Ring size would depend on the gearing you want. Still going to be limited by the low ratio you need.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

gollub01 Gallery photos from the Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery

More BB clearance, wider gear ratio, smaller chain rings mean frames can be designed with shorter chain stays, less chain.

This hub is not limited to 1x setups. 2x and 3x works great.

When using this hub with a cassette range like 9-34, you basically broaden your entire range. The difference between the 11t and 9t is 20%.

This is awesome in 1x setups where you could use a 28-30t chain ring and still climb well. You BB clearance gains are huge.

Is this the start of the death of the front derailleur ? Maybe not for everyone...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Ss?

Can you get just the 9t, for some micro geared ss mtb action? That's what I want.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by feekill View Post
    Can you get just the 9t, for some micro geared ss mtb action? That's what I want.
    Look where the 9t is in that pic. Chainline would be impossible to set up.

mtbr member
    There are 135mm spaced BMX-style hubs that can get you that micro-gearing, like this

The 9 and 10t cogs require the special hub to use them.

If you are willing to run a really wide chainline, go for it. It will not be a very efficient drivetrain with the tiny ring/cog. 20x9? that is a harder ratio than I want on a SS 29er (about the same as a 36x18). A larger ring/cog combo feel noticeably smoother.
    mtbtires.com

Professional Crastinator
    A few other notes here.

something else from the Canfield bros....

-F

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

O i c

Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm assuming the cogs on the freehub are 9s? I know 9s is cheap and all, but it would make more sense to have this in a 10s version. I just switched to 10s last season and would love to have the extra gearing, but I'm not going back to 9s.

Canfield Brothers
    The chainline is identical to others hubs. There is no "wide" chainline to deal with.

The 9T is the small cog, compared to a normal cassette with is 11 tooth smallest ring.

These are 9 speed setups, 10 speed will also be available.

The hubs will come as a 135 QR, 135 x 12mm thru, 142 x 12 thru, 150 x 12 thru and 157 x 12 thru. The 135 QR will come with alloy freehub body and the rest will have a cromoly freehub. Both will be available as replacements or upgrades.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    ... The 9t feels like Iím pushing a 40t chain ring. Huge top end with a gain in clearance that just flat out works awesome....
    Okay, I'm with you up to here.

... Makes my 165mm cranks feel longer. Now I want 160 or 155mm cranks. ...
    What the crap are you talking about?!? If anything, taller gearing should make your cranks feel shorter. Maybe you're talking about clearance and not gear ratio?

Anyway. Looks rad. flymybike,maybe I missed in, but any word on pricing/weight/availability? Does one just buy another cassette to stack on top of three smallest ones or do you provide the whole shebang?

MTBR Member
    engagement points?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    correct....taller gearing will make your cranks feel longer. This is coming from my experience with this hub on my DH bike. On a DH bike where 36-40 t chain rings are popular, switching to a 32 makes spinning seems quite a bit easier. I know this is all relative to which gear you are in on your cassette. But when pedaling around in most gears, the 32 is a lot lighter. I know when you do the math the ratios say that its taller & thats good. Basically spinning the 32 in most gears just feels a little easier. ( thats where my comment about cranks came from) This is great for DH but,

I think its going to be even better for AM

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    correct....taller gearing will make your cranks feel longer. This is coming from my experience with this hub on my DH bike. On a DH bike where 36-40 t chain rings are popular, switching to a 32 makes spinning seems quite a bit easier. I know this is all relative to which gear you are in on your cassette. But when pedaling around in most gears, the 32 is a lot lighter. I know when you do the math the ratios say that its taller & thats good. Basically spinning the 32 in most gears just feels a little easier. ( thats where my comment about cranks came from) This is great for DH but,

I think its going to be even better for AM
    Awesome, another source of free power! Maybe if we could get someone to do 0T cogs our bikes would pedal themselves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    tooth-less cogs are in proto phase still.....maybe next year

mtbr member
    flymybike: are the 9, 10 and 11 tooth cogs capreo cogs?

i'd run a system like this asap. i really like 1x9 or 10 set ups and this way i can use a considerably smaller chainring and get a considerably bigger gear range. Yeah, the 9 tooth is going to put some extra strain on the chain, be a bit less efficient (when the chain is spotless and whatnot) but for a ratio i will use occasionally and when i do with less torque than others its going to free up the larger end of the gear ratios and all for just a simple freehub body change...chapeau canfield bros for getting this out!...i'd spent the last few months hoping sam hill got fed up of his DT set up and might stick it on ebay...

Canfield Brothers
    Yes, the bottom 3 are required. The standard cassette is a 9-26 but I have a 9-32 that works well on my AM bike. The 9 is so hard to get I haven't spent a ton of time there however a 28 tooth that I have coming should make for a nice light gear and alow me to get all the way down to the 9t. It's a X9 crank, spider removed with a HBC spiderless chainring.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    that sounds like a sweet set up indeed!...is the derailleur adjustment finicky?

i can see this in my future...will keep my eyes peeled for them hitting the shops

thankyou for doing a grand job with this!

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    flymybike: are the 9, 10 and 11 tooth cogs capreo cogs?

i'd run a system like this asap. i really like 1x9 or 10 set ups and this way i can use a considerably smaller chainring and get a considerably bigger gear range. Yeah, the 9 tooth is going to put some extra strain on the chain, be a bit less efficient (when the chain is spotless and whatnot) but for a ratio i will use occasionally and when i do with less torque than others its going to free up the larger end of the gear ratios and all for just a simple freehub body change...chapeau canfield bros for getting this out!...i'd spent the last few months hoping sam hill got fed up of his DT set up and might stick it on ebay...
    IIRRC the Caprio 9 & 10t thread onto the 11t which is the lockring and threads onto the shorter FH body. More of the axle is cantilevered more than a standard FH.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Derail is no more adjusting than normal. You just have to back out your high limit screw a bit as well as the b-tension. Ive been using an X7 and love it. Hubs are scheduled to be for sale soon direct from Canfield Bros.

mtbr member
    This should combine well with the new MRP Micro G2 guide for 28-32t rings and the spiderless SRAM rings they might be doing too (article here). My Homebrewed Components spiderless ring is very nice and made by a great MTBR member, but it's always nice to see more options

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast