mtbr member
    Jun 2004

717 w/ king hubs & xray spokes or xtr wheels? HELP!

I currently have the 717's on kings and have been intrigued by the xtr wheels and I found them for a great price. I really would like to try UST tubeless and I have heard that the shimano hubs roll super fast. Am I being silly getting rid of a really nice wheelset for the xtr's? Im looking at the race version so they would be a few grams lighter but not enough to be a serious reason to go one way or the other. I have another heavy duty wheelset and I am starting to do endurance racing so that and long trail rides will be there primary use. I am also running a complete xtr 980 group with the exception of these wheels. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    I wouldnt ever run a proprietary wheel, or a low spoke count wheel. Those are both. Theres big downsides to that kind of setup, but really no upside.

If you wanted something different/better.. Id consider swapping out your rims for WTB I19's. You'd get a UST wheel, save a handful of grams, and gain some width.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artsn View Post
    I currently have the 717's on kings and have been intrigued by the xtr wheels
    King hubs to XTR would be a downgrade, I went from XTR to King and wouldn't consider going back for a heart beat.

You won't get rims that are usefully lighter than 717s, at that kind of weight it's just 'really light' or 'really really light,'

I'd look at fitting tubeless rims (like the WTBs mentioned above) to you king hubs or possibly doing a Stans style conversion on your existing 717s? I don't know how well they take to that though as I'm still a tubes kind of rider.

pyroclastic flow
    I have a pair of Shimano Xtr Wh-M975 Disc Ust Mountain Bike Wheelset you can try for 500 bucks, OBO. Its last model and they are true, fast and in great condition.
    "THE FACT IS THIS FRICTION WILL ONLY BE WORN BY PERSISTENCE"
    2009 PIVOT MACH 4

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Just get your king's re-laced to Stan's rims if you want to go tubeless.

Plays with tools
    THe shimano wheels in general are super durable as a whole and the hubs are indeed super smooth and roll faster than the kings. My money's on the table I'd go XTR over King any day. None of the Shimano wheels are going to win at the scale and the proprietary spokes can be a pain to source (get some spares with the wheels). If you have the money to keep both wheels I would certainly do pick them up.