mtbr member

New question here. 450 gram folding Geax BARRO RACE 29'er run tubeless?

I really couldn't find any information about whether or not these tyres could be used tubeless or not. Guitar Ted had a few good reviews,but he was using the TNT version and not the folding version. I'm slightly worried about the thin sidewalls and possible weeping. I'll be mounting them to ZTR 355's with yellow tape. Does anyone have any experience with trying to mount these tubeless?

Here is the final review by GuitarTed. http://twentynineinches.com/2009/08/...-final-review/

mtbr member
    Nobody????????

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    FWIW since no one else has responded... No experience with 29'r, but I've run the 26'r version tubeless with no issues. That was on ZTR Flow's with only yellow tape. Easy to inflate, sealed right up, practically no weeping.

These tires are surprisingly practical for being as light as they are. They are low volume, though. I weigh ~185 and had to run at 28+ psi to avoid rim strikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbsmitty
    FWIW since no one else has responded... No experience with 29'r, but I've run the 26'r version tubeless with no issues. That was on ZTR Flow's with only yellow tape. Easy to inflate, sealed right up, practically no weeping.

These tires are surprisingly practical for being as light as they are. They are low volume, though. I weigh ~185 and had to run at 28+ psi to avoid rim strikes.
    Thanks tbsmitty. That's great news.

g3h6o3
    smitty, you were running the folding bead (non UST) with only tape (no sealant) without problems???

I feel like giving Geax a go!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    POC... I did use sealant. When I said "only yellow tape" I meant there was no rim strip.

They were standard, folding, non UST tires.

g3h6o3
    Very cool! I wonder how they fit on UST rims. I'll probably give them a go and put them on my 819s once laced.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

wickedly good tyres for the right conditions

I run the 29er barro race tyres on the new crest rims and i've had no issues to report.
    I was surprised how much grip they had considering they resemble ribbed condoms!
    i only run them where the trails are not strewn with jagged rocks, mostly on pine forest trails or decomposed granite trails.
    for what its worth, they are holding air better than my racing ralphs!
    these are my new fav tyre after the RR