singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004

4 year old Hugi 240 disc hub is getting louder...

louder as in the click of the freehub when coasting.

Is there any preventative maintance that should be done before I get stranded 20 miles from nowhere?

I have never looked inside, but I can imagine that it needs some grease by now. I am pretty confident about working on a hub, but don't have any specialty tools other than cone wrenches.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamond
    louder as in the click of the freehub when coasting.

Is there any preventative maintance that should be done before I get stranded 20 miles from nowhere?

I have never looked inside, but I can imagine that it needs some grease by now. I am pretty confident about working on a hub, but don't have any specialty tools other than cone wrenches.
    Relubing of the star ratchet engagement mech on a 240 hub is the simplest thing around, and doesn't require any tools. 5 minutes at most once you get used to it. The only problem is getting the right grease, which has to be fairly specific - not too light and not too thick. DT used to send out small pouches of the grease for free but I think you might have to purchase it now. Call or email Dave at DT USA (see web site for contact info) and ask how you can get the grease. Service docs are on the DT web site. Basically you just pull (really) hard on the cassette and the whole freehub assembly suddenly pops off. Clean and relube, then put back together reverse of how it came apart, probably having to tap on the freehub end cap with a soft mallet or similar to get it to snap back on. I did this for a friend's 240 a few days ago and he was amazed at the instant difference.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

WOY
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Light suspension grease works OK (eg slick honey), however the key is not to use too much, a light coat is all it is required.

mtbr member
    I've used lots of different greases, lubes on my hubs over the years however, one of the best I've ever used was Shimano Dura Ace grease. Lightweight and lubricates well.
    Quote Originally Posted by WOY
    Light suspension grease works OK (eg slick honey), however the key is not to use too much, a light coat is all it is required.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Having just gone through this for the first time, i'd say key is to use small amount, rather than so much as type of grease... as mentioned above. I used DT ratchet grease because they sent me some.
    You use a surprisingly small amount actually. I used my normal amount as i saw fit, and the freewheel didn't catch every time. I pulled it apart 2x to wipe off some excess grease.
    Super easy. Don't think twice about it.