mtbr member

3C Maxx Terra vs Dual Compound

So my bike came with 29x2.4 DHR2's front and rear in the 3C Maxx Terra compound. The rear wore out and I wanted something faster rolling for riding singletrack but I also ride some gnarlier stuff and figured I'd get two tires... a dual compound DHR2 (same size) and maybe a DD or EXO+ tire to put on when I ride DH.

I went for a ride today on the new dual compound tire and honestly did not notice an improvement in rolling resistance. I can tell on pavement that it rolls a bit better so I know it does but I seriously couldn't tell it on the trail. Maybe it was the heat getting to me but the only difference I noticed was a bit less traction. Am I crazy or is the difference in rolling resistance between the DC and 3C negligible?

36 styles of danger
    Not crazy.

I haven't noticed a difference other than in longevity in the tread over time. About 3 months on a rear 3C MT is about the best I can do and roughly double that with DC running 2-3 rides a week every week.

I have noticed that the Aggressor (DC only) rolls better than the DHR2 IMHO in either the 3C or DC variety and doesn't seem to give up anything that I can tell with respect to the DHR2 which was my go to rear tire until Aggressor came to town.

I'm in Arizona so we get a bit of everything as far as terrain goes.

mtbr member
    There's no fast rolling DHR, regardless of compound.

Max Terra is their middle ground compound, so it shouldn't roll significantly slower or faster. The edge knobs should grip better though.

All in all, the 3c tire should just generally be better than the cheaper dual, it's not necessarily all in rolling resistance.

I'd keep the DHR for downhill/park and go to something faster for anything involving climbing.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    Not crazy.

I haven't noticed a difference other than in longevity in the tread over time. About 3 months on a rear 3C MT is about the best I can do and roughly double that with DC running 2-3 rides a week every week.
    It's weird because I've read so many comments on this board from people who said they won't run a 3C MT on the rear because is so draggy compared to the DC but never anyone who contested that. In retrospect I probably should have gone with an Aggressor for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    There's no fast rolling DHR, regardless of compound.
    I only expected it to be less slow. Today's ride was a group ride (although with people I normally ride with) so maybe I just had an off day. I'll give it another shot later this week when I can ride solo and pay more attention to tire characteristics. So far though, the trade off in traction/rebound damping doesn't seem worth it.

mtbr member
    I also don't notice much difference in rolling resistance.

I do notice the difference in wear life and also in traction on wet rocks and roots. DC is pretty slippery on that stuff.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    I feel that rolling resistance has a whole lot to do with how I am feeling that day and the trail surface more than anything. If I am having a off day, every tire feels like a boat anchor. Same with when the ground is wet and grippy or if I have mud in my tires. I can only tell rolling resistance between 8-14 mph anything below it is all weight and anything about you are pretty much zipping along from a downhill or pedaling on flat ground and have some momentum. I like maxxis tires (and ride them) but I feel they are some of the slowest rolling tires per their class. But they just work so I live with knowing their are faster options to the DHR I normally run on the rear. The aggressor for me is not much better as far a RR goes. and anything Maxx Grip you can hear just sticking to the ground. It can be awful on hard stuff. But with maxxis between maxx terra and dual compound I do not notice much change at all except in grip in the corners and wear rates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I noticed that tire pressure can matter a lot for trail rolling resistance (that along with tire suppleness). I used to run Race Kings that are supposedly the fastest non-slick ever invented. But it rarely seem to translate on the trails because of the stiff sidewalls. Also it was difficult to dial in the pressure because there was so little margin between rim strikes and the tire bouncing. After I switched to Fast Traks Griptons which were a lot more supple for trail chatter conformity and lot more forgiving when it comes to tire pressure, wow, I noticed a huge improvement in momentum retention over roots and chatter. So I would mess with pressure first or go for tires with known supple casings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The DHR2 has a lot of blocky tread. So you wont feel a RR change unless you were riding Maxx Grip. Maxxterra is has similar rubbler on the center tread but softer sideknobs. Id run an Agressor in the rear unless you ride were it will pack up.

MTB B'dos
    As the others have said, not really noticeable on dry surfaces, except for actual tyre life/wear, but once you hit the wet, then you'll notice the difference between DC and 3C.

If you want a faster rolling tyre, that has almost as much grip, but definitely rolls much faster, definitely give the Aggressor a look. I was super surprised when I rode a friends bike around with one on compared to my DHR2 and he used to run a DHR2 3C MT before the Aggressor and he hasn't complained about grip, but definitely has said how much better it rolls.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    i picked up a DHF 2.6 (3c terra) and a DHR2 2.4 DualC on sale for next season.

i'm a little worried about the slow rolling resistance on the DHR2. I have been debating ditching the DHR2 DC since my local trails have long steep climbs (2-3km).

once i point the bike downhill the terrain varies, but it's mostly soft(with some hardback section) with frequent root / rock section. I don't think the aggressor would do well in these trails, maybe the new kenda nevegal pro 2 2.4?

note: must be sub 950g tires

is the rolling resistance on the DHR2 in DC that bad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclgallant View Post
    i picked up a DHF 2.6 (3c terra) and a DHR2 2.4 DualC on sale for next season.

i'm a little worried about the slow rolling resistance on the DHR2. I have been debating ditching the DHR2 DC since my local trails have long steep climbs (2-3km).

once i point the bike downhill the terrain varies, but it's mostly soft(with some hardback section) with frequent root / rock section. I don't think the aggressor would do well in these trails, maybe the new kenda nevegal pro 2 2.4?

note: must be sub 950g tires

is the rolling resistance on the DHR2 in DC that bad?
    NO it actually rolls pretty well for such an aggressive tread pattern. I think the OP is running too low of pressure. The DC version needs to be run at 25psi OR MORE regardless of rider weight. The center tread is 60a durometer vs. 50a for the 3C MaxTerra. That is exactly why the MaxTerras wear out so fast. The difference might not be huge but they do NOT roll the same and I have years on both compounds. Your fear is unfounded... unless of course you want to sell me the DHR2 DC for cheap?! Then yeah, it's a horrible tire! LOL

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    As the others have said, not really noticeable on dry surfaces, except for actual tyre life/wear, but once you hit the wet, then you'll notice the difference between DC and 3C.
    I noticed the difference in traction in the dry which I'd be fine with if the rolling resistance was also noticeably better. I'll probably end up swapping it for an Aggressor at some point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    NO it actually rolls pretty well for such an aggressive tread pattern. I think the OP is running too low of pressure. The DC version needs to be run at 25psi OR MORE regardless of rider weight.
    I was running it at 29 psi because that's what I ran the 3C version at.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Going from 2.4WT DC to 2.3 3C MaxTerra there was a bit more resistance, not alot but its perceptible

For me the biggest difference was the wear rate, DC lasts me 5-6 months where 3C 2-3 months

mtbr member
    I'm with hitechredneck on the "it depends how I'm feeling that day" logic. There's days when I feel like the DHR2 is slow and others where I don't even feel it back there. That being said, I'm going to agree with Ceberus75 and say to stick with the Aggressor if possible. I run one in various widths on all of my bikes. Admittedly, we don't ride in much wet stuff but they seem to work everywhere for me.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm with hitechredneck on the "it depends how I'm feeling that day" logic. There's days when I feel like the DHR2 is slow and others where I don't even feel it back there.
    That might be part of it. I'm going to give it another shot.

Admittedly, we don't ride in much wet stuff but they seem to work everywhere for me.
    Here if it's wet enough to pack up the tread it's probably best to stay off the trails (it's the opposite of loamy here).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I was running it at 29 psi because that's what I ran the 3C version at.
    That should be fine but you might want to play with pressure a bit as they can be real finicky. Also the first couple rides any Maxxis DH will feel like a boat anchor for some reason. I don't know why that is but I almost threw out my DHF WT when I first got it as it was SO SLOW! Works great now!

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    That should be fine but you might want to play with pressure a bit as they can be real finicky. Also the first couple rides any Maxxis DH will feel like a boat anchor for some reason. I don't know why that is but I almost threw out my DHF WT when I first got it as it was SO SLOW! Works great now!

Have FUN!

G
    I did notice my DHR2 3C speed up quite a bit after a few rides. maybe there is something on the outside of the rubber that needs to help the rubber come out of the mold but causes the tire to roll like hell for a few rides?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I did notice my DHR2 3C speed up quite a bit after a few rides. maybe there is something on the outside of the rubber that needs to help the rubber come out of the mold but causes the tire to roll like hell for a few rides?
    They might use mold and bladder release coating but I don't think that's going to slow the tire any noticable amount. The carcass stretching might make a difference but probably not as much as the rider just getting used to the tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Going from a 3C Terra 2.6 DHF to a 2.5WT DC Aggressor didn't change the time hardly at all on my normal 6 mile loop. The DHF was Exo and the Aggressor is DD so maybe the added weight offset the RR? I will say there a few sandy sections and the 2.6 works WAY better there but I am still playing with air pressure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    the Aggressor is DD so maybe the added weight offset the RR?
    I would expect it to be a large factor. In passenger car tires, mass is the biggest factor in decreasing rolling resistance. Off road vehicles like mountain bikes are a bit more complicated.

mtbr member
    I got another ride in on the new DC tire. I can definitely tell a difference on the smooth hardpack sections but hardly any on the loose over hard sections (most of the trail). I'm pretty sure if someone secretly had swapped my 3C DHR2 to DC I wouldn't notice in regards to rolling resistance (I do notice traction is a bit lower).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Going from a 3C Terra 2.6 DHF to a 2.5WT DC Aggressor didn't change the time hardly at all on my normal 6 mile loop. The DHF was Exo and the Aggressor is DD so maybe the added weight offset the RR? I will say there a few sandy sections and the 2.6 works WAY better there but I am still playing with air pressure.
    Weight of the tire will slow down acceleration so you feel it starting from a stop or sudden burst in speed while peddling. Rolling resistance has more to do with how sticky the tire is (think pulling masking tape or duct tape off something) or if the knobs are big or widly spaced they slam into things and slow you down. An Agressor doesn't have big knobs and the center knobs aren't as sticky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Rolling resistance has more to do with how sticky the tire is
    Hysteric losses only happen when the rubber deforms. The more rubber mass there is to deform, the greater the hysteresis. That and there's the simple correlation between weight and work. Which is a bigger factor depends on a few things but weight definitely increases rolling resistance. I would expect the DD Aggressor to be a bit slower than the lighter DHF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I was thinking that initially (mold release compound issues) but I'm now thinking the outer silica is simply too encapsulated until you actually wear away some rubber polymer after a few rides.

Cheers,

G

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    As the tread wears down the rolling resistance lowers. So comparing a worn out tire to a new tire isnít a fair fight. To truly feel the difference you gotta have a new version of both compounds..

If the new DC rolls as easily as the worn out 3C, that says the DC is the faster rolling tire..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Am I crazy or is the difference in rolling resistance between the DC and 3C negligible?
    It's all marketing hype, to get is to buy more rubber ^^

PS - imo the DHRII is great for dry rocky/rooty terrain.

If it's greasy out, ride something else.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"