mtbr member
    Nov 2004

36 vs. 32 spoke build

I know how to build a 32 spoke 3x wheel, would like to build a 36. Am I correct to assume that I just keep lacing the 4 extra spokes the same way? Also, I used the DT calculator and had to plug in my own measurements for my off-brand hubs. Did I measure correctly: pitch circle diameter, center to enter of opposite spoke holes; flange distance, from center of flange to opposite center. Finally, should I go 4 cross instead? The wheels are for an around-town utility bike. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yup....

just continue the lacing pattern until you run out of spokes and holes same as a 32x3. As for measuring sounds like you did it right to me. As far as 3x vs 4x, it's up to you. A 4x laced wheel is not really significantly stronger than a 3x in my experience. You just end up with an extra cross in the pattern and longer spokes. A 3x pattern should work just fine.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by sweathog
    ......should I go 4 cross......?
    There is no benefit to 4x and a good chance that spokes and heads will overlap at the hub. And that's not good.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Double-metric mtb man
    In spite of being a clyde, I'm running a 28 spoke stock rim and hub. I've put them through a fair bit and they are doing well (wouldn't hit big stuff with them, but...) For all-around/utility riding, you could easily get away with a 32 hole set up.

As for crossing, 3x will do the trick. I have only seen a few 4x wheels and the difference in strength is pretty minor. A good rim selection and cafeful build will give you far a bigger strength increase than just going to 4x.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks, and ...

Thanks for the help. I did figure out that flange distance is not between the flanges but from the flange to the dropout.