mtbr member

New question here. 36 hole pull apart hubs?

I need a downhill racer type rear hub with disc brake that has 36 spoke holes, that will hold a 8 to 9 speed cassette, yet it must have 135mm spacing.

Is there such a hub? I can't find one, but maybe I do not know the right description.
    Last edited by jawnn; 08-14-2012 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Where to start . . .

I dont know what you mean by pull apart hubs or downhill racer type hubs.

Shimano, Azonic, DMR, Hope, DT Swiss, White Industries, Chris King, Profile, Industry Nine, Atomlab all make 36 hole hubs that can handle various levels of abuse.

What is your budget and do you have an idea of the amount of engagement you're looking for? 18 points of engagement, 36, 72, 100+?

36 spoke hubs are harder to find these days because increases in rim strength and technology has made 32 spoke wheels hold up really well to big guys and abusive riders.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! WTB Laser disc hub

I need this for a heavy duty cargo bike. I got a pull-apart hub with 3 or 4 cartridge bearings
    And a 150mm drop out spacing for my last bike. Can't remember the name, it was only about $125 a few years ago. 32 spokes.

The wheel I want to build has to be a 24" with 1.95" tire, 135mm wide. And of course they do not make a wide 24" wheel rim with 32 spokes. Or nothing I have seen that is also strong.

I would settle for a HD rim 24" with 32 spoke holes to use with my not so HD sram X7 hub. I would even use a steel rim!

Last edited by jawnn; 08-26-2016 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member

New question here.

I do not know about the specs you mentioned. I need cheapness, not rich enough.

36 spokes? well I will settel for a not so good hub.

mtbr member
    I've been beating the hell out of some 36 hole Shimano SLX hubs for the last 18 months on my commuter bike. Easily over 4K miles on them. The seals are great and the hubs run really smooth. They've got 32 points of engagement which is twice of most hubs on the market. 135mm with centerlock rotor flange (although with an adapter you can run 6 bolt rotors).

Hopes are probably the most bulletproof hubs you can get for the price.

If you dont need 24" and can use 26" Azonic Outlaws cant be beat for the price.

mtbr member

New question here. Shimano SLX hubs

Are the Shimano SLX hubs disposable,(non replaceable bearing races or are they sealed cartridge bearings? I can not find much info about them, Like an exploded view.

And what is a centerlock ? does it clamp the rotor in the center?
    Last edited by jawnn; 08-13-2012 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawnn View Post
    are the Shimano SLX hubs disposable,(non replaceable bearing races etc?

and what is a centerlock rotor flange ?
    No, they're fully serviceable ball and cone hubs with a generic 10mm axle in the back, easy to convert to bolt-on if you feel. Really easy to strip down and repack when necessary (no cartridge bearings to press).

Centerlock is a different mountain system for rotors. The rotors have a splined pattern on them to match a splined flange on the hub. Makes for a lighter interface and stiffer rotors.

mtbr member

New question here. Points of engagements for the lasser disc???

That what I like about the Laserdisc bearings, NO PRESSING needed.

Unfortunately I think this hub has only 3 points of engagement.....is that true???
    Last edited by jawnn; 08-23-2012 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    That what I like about the Laserdisc bearings, NO PRESSING needed.

I presume that I would have to pay $275 or more to get a hub that is as good as the Laser disc hub with the right amount of spokes.

Apparently fully serviceable means disposable, unless you know of some that have actually replaceable races.
    Disposable if you dont ever repack the grease and let water corrode away and pit the races and bearings. Then yes, these are disposable. With regular cleaning and grease they'll last forever. Bearings wear out first, then cones, then races machined into the hub. With regular grease they'll all last longer than you'll be riding. Maybe we're entering an era where people dont know how to work on loose ball hubs . . .

When I think disposable, I think first of cheap hubs that do not have replaceable freehub bodies, so that when the freehub dies, the hub and wheel is toast. The next thing that I think of are non-serviceable cartridge bearings that you just throw away when they wear out and replace with a new set. New bearings cost money, with a serviceable loose ball hub, you reuse the bearings and just put in fresh grease.

I work on bikes all the time that have 30+ year old wheels on them, as long as there was good grease in them back then, most of the wheels still spin perfectly smooth when repacked with fresh grease.

Those Laserdisc hubs are just rebadged American Classic Hubs. Nothing too fancy or durable in the scheme of things. I cant tell if you're a complete noob, a brand whore, hack-wrench, or what but you're asking for a cheap and durable hub with 36 spokes. There are several really great options that dont require spending $275+ for a hub.

If it's for a cargo bike, you might not want a blingy hub. Since you'll be on pavement and pushing bigger gears, you might not need a ton of engagement points.

I'm done here, you dont really know what you want and you've got a ton of reading to do.

mtbr member

Idea! Old school equipment

Old school equipment

I don't know why your upset, It's true that the bicycle industry has confused me into thinking that more money means better equipment.'
    I am so glad that you pointed out that old school equipment is made to last. I just hope I can figure out how often to re-grease them.

.....thanks for the information!!!!!!!

I got one of these hubs, they are excellent! But I think the reason for so many 'points of engagement' is smaller ratcheting mechanism to fit into the limited space.

Also the reason for new fancy no-maintenance equipment is the very expensive shop time, and of course people just do not want to fix their bikes with out a shop space. Good thing for bicycle co-op shops.
    Last edited by jawnn; 08-30-2012 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    will the Shimano SLX hold a 8 speed cassett? I want to use the sram #### that has 24/30/34 sprockets. I do not care about the high gears.

I will not even ask about the steel rims.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...st9592019.html
    Last edited by jawnn; 08-14-2012 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    If you can hunt one down an older Hugi 36 hole hub (if i recall they were used mosly in tandems?) basically fits the bill... If you can find a NOS one at a reasonable price they are pretty indestructible and "pull apart" serviceable if I remember correctly...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I do not know about the specs you mentioned. I need cheapness, not rich enough.

36 spokes? well I will settel for a not so good hub.

Shimano zee.

mtbr member
    Are the FH-M665 and the FH-M675 hubs the same thing? I can't find the data on the M665

mtbr member

New question here. Tandem hubs??

thanks I will looks....

I got an extra SLX and then foundout that shimano stoped making the cones. what a scam. the picture is of a cone that was too large of a diameter at the tip.

I may get a Velo Orenge Grand Cru tandem hub....has four bearings....do they all?

36 hole pull apart hubs?-damaged-cone.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    There are enough Shimano cones for that hub in shops to last your lifetime.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    the picture is of a cone that was too large of a diameter at the tip.
    No, that's a picture of a cone that had the wrong size bearings installed in the hub.

mtbr member

Idea!

Both of you guys are wrong. If there are the right size cones laying around I have no clue how to find them.

This was what the guys at our local bike shop sold me when I walked in looking for the right size. Apparently no one is aware that the tip diameters are different. Even wheels manufacturing told me that they are all the same. Yet they are all different!

I had to measure them with my digital caliper to discover the problem.

Now I am looking for a 135mm tandem bicycle 36h hubs with 4 bearings for disc brake hub that uses cartridge bearings!

But I don't think I will find one so narrow. I may have to alter my bikes frame for 142mm wide hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakesWaterman View Post
    There are enough Shimano cones for that hub in shops to last your lifetime.

this is the bike it is for, a very heavy duty hand made cycle truck, now with moped tires

Name:  my cycle truck.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  28.2 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That wear should be in the middle of the track on the cone. Clearly, the wrong bearing size. Instead, the wear is at the tip.

mtbr member

New question here.

something must be wrong with these, are maybe it's where it ships from?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/36-3...08.4.39.dG2qWK

and they are not tandem hubs

So far this is the only hub that i have seen that fits all my needs:
    Grand Cru Disc Touring Hub 135mm

any one got a better hub in mind?

mtbr member
    So do you think that if I used smaller than the 1/4 inch balls it would work? what would happen to the cup?(having been made for 1/4 inch balls.)

mtbr member
    So do you think that if I used smaller than the 1/4 inch balls it would work? what would happen to the cup?(having been made for 1/4 inch balls.)
    I didn't realize you had replaced the cone before. Cones are different, and you need the one that is identically sized as the original one. And You need to use the correct sized bearings for the races (probably 1/4) A good shop should be able to hook you up.

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I didn't realize you had replaced the cone before. Cones are different, and you need the one that is identically sized as the original one. And You need to use the correct sized bearings for the races (probably 1/4) A good shop should be able to hook you up.
    This is why I have given up on the simano SLX no cones are made for it. did you see the photo above of the cone?

And now I found out that the velo orange Grand Cru has an aluminum axle of all the insane things. and it is not a tandem hub! ha!

So I may have to settle for a veocity MTB hub, at least they have bearings for it.
    Last edited by jawnn; 08-23-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    Shimano needs to drop the cup and cone design already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you want a good replacement hub that's easily serviceable and convertible, it'll cost (DT, Hope, CK, etc). If you want something that'll work a while, get something like an XT. They're relatively cheap, kinda heavy and parts are easily available. You have to know how to adjust a cup and cone or they'll wear prematurely though...

mtbr member

Idea!

I know how to adjust a cup and cone.....but I trusted the dolts at our local bike shoip to sell me the right part. BIG MISTAKE!

Do they still make Velocity Mountain Disc Rear – 135mm hub with larger flange 58mm on the brake side, than 49 on the cassette side?
    I want to tension the spokes close to the same on both sides.

But maybe there is something better bout their ATB Disc Hub Rear ?? Looks like some of htese company do not want me to see their bearings.

How much weight can these hubs take? I need at least a 350lb limit on the drive hub axle. Possibly up to 450lbs (on just the rear axle) if I ever build a really heavy duty cycle-truck. Motorized of course, and maybe a 20mm axle or 12mm solid through axle.

I need one with 36 spoke holes.

Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    If you want a good replacement hub that's easily serviceable and convertible, it'll cost (DT, Hope, CK, etc). If you want something that'll work a while, get something like an XT. They're relatively cheap, kinda heavy and parts are easily available. You have to know how to adjust a cup and cone or they'll wear prematurely though...
    These photos are from my alod laserdisc hub on another bike I have. they do not use springs to catch the pawls. The bearings look a bit small for my needs.

The bearings for the Hope hub looks a bit skinny also and they want $30 or more for a pair. what a scam.

note what what can happen to aluminum spokes:

36 hole pull apart hubs?-laserdisc-ratchet.jpg

36 hole pull apart hubs?-laserdisc-pawls.jpg
    Last edited by jawnn; 11-29-2016 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member

New question here.

So now that I have one of these velocity hubs with out the extra free hubs, they tell me that it has four bearings in it. could some one confirm that? I don't want to take it apart just see see what is in it.

How manycartride bearings does the front hub have?

Name:  H77-exploded_450_351.png
Views: 51
Size:  136.9 KB