metrotuned WoS

30mm width rim an upgrade from 24mm width rim?

Comparing two rims equal in materials, running a 29 x 2.4 tire, will the 30mm outer diameter rim perform that much better than a 24mm outer diameter rim?

I'd like to run CX-Ray spokes to brass nipples on shallow 30mm wide rims. If I go freehub, it'll be Chris King. If SS specific freewheel, going with White Industries freewheel and Paul bolt-on hubs. Rider weight 200lbs dry.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

HJH
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Pros:
    + better grip
    + possibility to use lower tire pressure

Cons:
    - more weight --> more inertia

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Comparing two rims equal in materials, running a 29 x 2.4 tire, will the 30mm outer diameter rim perform that much better than a 24mm outer diameter rim?

I'd like to run CX-Ray spokes to brass nipples on shallow 30mm wide rims. If I go freehub, it'll be Chris King. If SS specific freewheel, going with White Industries freewheel and Paul bolt-on hubs. Rider weight 200lbs dry.
    You better mean 24 vs 30mm width, not diameter. A 29er tire has a bead seat diameter of 622mm.

Generally the wider tire will perform better on the wider rim. An inside width of ~22mm seems to be the sweet spot for most mtb tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

metrotuned WoS
    Thanks. Went with the 30mm wide rims. Now to decide on spokes: bladed cx rays, butted Phil, or Marwi titanium.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout