mtbr member

29x2.6 all options here, present and future

so what's out there in 29x2.6? Nobby Nics only? any other tire announced/rumored?

Always in the wrong gear
    I don't think this thread is gonna get a lot of traction. (get it? ...traction...)
    For a few reasons:
    There's already a few threads about the mini-plus tires ranging from 2.35 to 2.7.
    It seems that there really is only one tire labeled 2.6, with a few 2.5's and a 3.0 that actually matures 2.75-ish.
    it seems that the 2-point-whatever width is really subjective, as much as it is in the narrower sizes. Some are labeled as 2.-something but built on an existing carcass, which makes it not really up to the true label.

I'd love to see a sticky cataloging the mini-plus tires (as I've begun to call them) that fall in the 2.4-2.75 range. IMO, under 2.4 and it's a large traditional tire, and over 2.75 it's a small plus tire.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
    2.35 Magic Mary (measures more like 2.45)
    2.5 minion
    2.5 WTB Breakout
    2.6 NN
    2.75 Surly Dirt Wizard
    3.0 Vidar Gravity (measures more like 2.75)

Im sure there's more I'm forgetting. I was all hot an bothered to try something like this about a month ago, but just never pulled the trigger and am still riding my 2.4 Goma that actually measures 2.42

Rumors and spy photos on the 'net point toward most major brands offering a tire in this range coming soon, following the 25-40mm rim width trend.

I've read Bontrager, Specialized, and Maxxis all have something in the works, either a new tire, or a wide version of an existing one, e.g. Spec Butcher 2.5

moar alike..
    See here- Bead to Bead Mtb Tire Measurement ...the specification / standard MTB riders want, to enable an accurate tire size / volume search (independant of rim width), is not yet used by manufacturers...was going to update some that were @ 170mm b2b but a buddy still has my list, check the bead to bead thread for updates in that doc
    All barks have been rendered into english...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have a 2.5 minion DHF on and i35 WTB asylm and a 2.35 Hans-D on an i29 Velocity Blunt. the HD has move volume and slightly wider.
    I'm sure the 2.6 NN is going to be super HV and wider than 2.6.
    I can't wait to buy one.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member

Always in the wrong gear
    That Kenda looks interesting. A small knobbed race tread lightweight 2.6?
    I'm all about 'the more options the better' but I'm curious who this is aimed at.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    That Kenda looks interesting. A small knobbed race tread lightweight 2.6?
    I'm all about 'the more options the better' but I'm curious who this is aimed at.
    me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    These two tires from Teravail are available in 29x2.6:
    Kennebec 27.5+ / 29+ | Teravail
    Cumberland 27.5+ / 29+ | Teravail

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Future as you asked: Schwalbe has a Magic Mary 2.6 coming soon and many others coming in a 2.6.

mtbr member
    Spec Butcher and Hillbilly 29x2.6 are both out. I just picked up one of each.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Teravail are positively the most interesting looking tires I have seen. I'd love to see some reviews.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have a friend that already has that Magic Mary 2.6

I'm running the new Specialized Butcher 2.6 up front on my new Pivot 5.5 and I'm very impressed when the trail gets rowdy on the downs so far. Then again, I always liked the 2.35 version as well.

I have the Nobby Nic 2.6 on the back. No real complaints but still trying to work out the air pressure it prefers as well. At the very minimum, it does what it's supposed to do so far. If I took this bike to some place like Downieville where I'd be shuttling all day, I'd put a beefier tire back there. I will almost assuredly try the new Maxxis Aggressor WT when it comes out.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm running the new Specialized Butcher 2.6 up front on my new Pivot 5.5 and I'm very impressed when the trail gets rowdy on the downs so far. Then again, I always liked the 2.35 version as well.
    By chance k2rider1964 have you measured out the 29x2.6 Butcher? Similar to a Maxxis 2.5 WT? Curious about this tire but haven't seen one yet. Wouldn't mind running this 2.6 in front with the Butcher 2.3 in rear.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Got the new Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 for xmas. For hard pack dry SoCal its been awesome. Saved a good amount of weight compared the DHF 2.5WT i was running.

I am Walt

29x2.6 all options here, present and future

I just mounted up the 2.6 Rekon's yesterday, on Flow MK3's at 29 mm IW. Been running WTB Ranger 3.0's (pushing it, I know). Looking forward to dialing it in! Bike is a Vassago Optimus Ti Boost HT SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Kenda Sabre Pro 2.6 available this spring. Saber Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

My summary list of 29x2.6" tires, plus some speculation and commentary

G’Day G’Day,

Here’s a list I just built up that summarizes this thread and adds a bunch more. Note that it includes a couple of tires that are marketed as 2.5” but really measure more like 2.6”. They’re in alphabetical order. I had links for most of these but MTBR has disabled HTML links so they're not here.

– Bontrager XR4 29x2.6” (maybe others? Bontrager gives no way to sort by tire width)

– Kenda Saber Pro (cross-country)
    – Kenda Hellkat Pro (downhill)
    – Kenda Nevegal2 (enduro/all-mountain)

– Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.5” (My buddy says it’s closer to 2.6”)
    – Maxis Rekon 29 x 2.6-inch (available, e.g. here on World Wide Cyclery)
    – There might be more Maxxis 29x2.6” tires but Maxxis’ website kinda sucks (doesn’t allow for sorting by size).

– Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29 x 2.6-inch (on Ebay and Amazon). Pinkbike review here. 840g each
    – Schwalbe Rocket Ron may be coming in 29x2.6” soon (says my buddy).
    – “Schwalbe has a Magic Mary 2.6” coming out soon”

– Specialized Slaughter (semi-slick)
    – “Specialized Butcher and
    – Specialized Hillbilly 29x2.6 are both out. I just picked up one of each”

– Teravail Cumberland (availalbe, e.g. Jenson). This BikePacking review says “Durable” casing version weighs 1.15kg each. But there’s also the “Light and Supple” version (I don’t know the weight)
    – Teravail Kennebec 29 x 2.6-inch (available, e.g. World Wide Cyclery and Jenson) Also comes in ‘Durable’ and ‘Light and Supple’ casing versions.

– Vee Flow Snap 29 x 2.6-inch (available on Vee’s webstore) - Pinkbike review. 980-1060g (with/without Synthesis Sidewall)
    – Kenda Saber 29 x 2.6-inch (announced) and Kenda Sabre Pro 2.6

– Vittoria Mezcal 29x2.6”

– WTB Breakout 2.5" has been on the market for years and it's slightly over 2.6" (sez Ryan)

Some others that my buddy Ryan says may be coming out:
    “(27.5" usually comes out first; unsure whether there are 29" versions coming out at the same time or later):
    - WTB Vigilante and Trail Boss in 2.65"; according to their CAD files, these are going to be considerably larger than other companies' 2.6" models.
    - Maxxis Minion DHR
    - Schwalbe Rocket Ron (I think)
    - Vittoria Martello and Morsa
    - Maybe something from CST.* Chen Shin Tire is the parent company of Maxxis and they sometimes test products under the CST label before releasing under the Maxxis label.
    - I've heard Continental will be releasing a couple 2.6 models.”

Ryan’s 2.6” commentary:

"Tires with a big diameter and big volume are going to be heavy.* If they're not heavy, they're fragile.*If it was possible to build a tire with large volume that's sufficiently tough at 750g, everyone would do it.*But they don't.* Because they can't.*For example, there used to be a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.8" Liteskin that weighed about 690g.*One bike magazine review stated they tore three of them in the first hour of testing and most others had similar experiences.*Schwalbe appears to have discontinued the product, despite brisk sales, because of what it was doing to Schwalbe's reputation."

I hope this helps y'all! Apologies in advance for any errors or omissions; I only spent a couple hours on this.

James the Bald

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu View Post
    Kenda Sabre Pro 2.6 available this spring. Saber Pro
    They are in-stock now, for $70 each. Mulling over whether to try them, but can’t find the weight posted, nor any reviews. Hmmm....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    They are in-stock now, for $70 each. Mulling over whether to try them, but can’t find the weight posted, nor any reviews. Hmmm....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Their website is goofy but this was there :

29X2.60 (66-622)
    PART NO. COMPOUND COLOR PROTECTION BEAD TPI PSI WT (G)
    212328 R3C
    KSCT FOLDING 120 30 700±35
    212327 R3C
    TR FOLDING 120 30 602±30

AOK
    mtbr member
    Someone in one of the other threads for 2.6 tires mentioned a Bontranger XR2 in 29x2.6.

Anyone know anything about this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Someone in one of the other threads for 2.6 tires mentioned a Bontranger XR2 in 29x2.6.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Doesn't exist, but given that the 2.35" blows up to 2.45" at riding pressure, you might as well just buy that one. It's just under 700g. I've got over 500 miles on one. It's been bulletproof.

mtbr member
    deleted and exiting the big boy tire forum
    Last edited by richj8990; 03-04-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

That Sleestak
    ^^Rich, you're in a 29'er tire thread!!!

And yes; A Maxxis 26x2.8 should fit in a 27.5 fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    You guys should chill out. Take some weeds!

moar alike..
    That ranger casing is porky
    All barks have been rendered into english...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    ^^Rich, you're in a 29'er tire thread!!!

And yes; A Maxxis 26x2.8 should fit in a 27.5 fork.
    Oh crap, 29 x 2.6 lol, delete the post
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Their website is goofy but this was there :

29X2.60 (66-622)
    PART NO. COMPOUND COLOR PROTECTION BEAD TPI PSI WT (G)
    212328 R3C
    KSCT FOLDING 120 30 700±35
    212327 R3C
    TR FOLDING 120 30 602±30
    Yeah, that claimed weight of 602g is a bit crazy. That's lighter than some 29x2.0" racy tires. Im' a certified weight weenie, but I'd still go for the heavier KSCT version at 700 grams, I can't imagine the 600g version would last through a season of endurance racing. And at 700 grams, that's still 1/4 pound lighter, per wheel, than the Nobby Nics.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Been riding Nobby Nic 2.6 for almost a year now and pretty happy with them, but not the most durable tire I've ever used. They have acquired quite a few sidewall scrapes and cuts that have me a little worried about taking them on longer or more remote rides.

I'm interested in the Vittoria Mezcal 29x2.6. Would really like to try a Graphene tire and see if it's all it's cracked up to be. Any idea when those are to be available? All the info is on their website, but no dates as far as I see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My new bike came with Schwalbe Smart Sam 29x2.6 'Active line' tires.

I asked Schwalbe for more info, who replied that they are OEM for Cube only atm, but will be released broadly later in the year. Sadly the ones I have are not tubeless as they run very fast indeed.
    2018 Cube Reaction Hybrid Race 500
    2016 Radon Slide 130 10.0 HD
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

Live Free & Ride
    Vee Rubber Flow Snap -

This tire is a universal and polyvalent gravity tire created for a variety of different conditions from mud, to dry or loose terrain. A predictable tire, features controlled grip and breaking power and is a favorite for Bike Park riding
    Aggressive side knobs for maneuverability
    The best of both worlds, excellent grip and speed
    Dual compound 52/48 durometer with 120 tpi casing
    Width: 2.6"
    Compound: dual
    Bead: folding
    Weight: 1,030g.
    Color: black

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=94468
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ikon 29x2.6 and Saber 29x2.6

Here's Maxxis Ikon 29x2.6 EXO 800g
    29x2.6 all options here, present and future-20180512_135651.jpg
    29x2.6 all options here, present and future-20180512_142006b.jpg

And Kenda Saber Pro 29x2.6 750g
    29x2.6 all options here, present and future-screenshot_20180511-205359_photos.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeti SB5+ with Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 tires
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29x2.6 all options here, present and future-sb52.6.jpg  

29x2.6 all options here, present and future-sb5-2.6.1.jpg  

This place needs an enema
    Bontrager XR-2 and XR-4 are out (and awesome, each in their own way) in 29 x 2.6.

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Bontrager XR-2 and XR-4 are out (and awesome, each in their own way) in 29 x 2.6.
    Mike, Would the XR4 be good for the western slopes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Mike, Would the XR4 be good for the western slopes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You have to ask yourself, “for what purpose?“

I think they range somewhere from fantastic to overkill, depending.

viva la v-brakes!
    You have to ask yourself, “for what purpose?“
    Well, my purpose is for a relatively aggressive trail tire that allow me to ride a bit more aggressively, or just ride more confidently through aggressive terrain on my Ibis Ripley. I'm currently running the Nobbie Nic's 2.6, which are fine, but very fragile. So, I'd like something a little more aggressive, but still climb friendly. I'll mostly be using these tires in Marquette and Copper Harbor MI, and rougher trails near home (Madison WI), as well as for a trip to Fruita/Grand Junction this fall, and similar trips to the southwest in the future.

Well, my purpose is for a relatively aggressive trail tire that allow me to ride a bit more aggressively, or just ride more confidently through aggressive terrain on my Ibis Ripley. I'm currently running the Nobbie Nic's 2.6, which are fine, but very fragile. So, I'd like something a little more aggressive, but still climb friendly. I'll mostly be using these tires in Marquette and Copper Harbor MI, and rougher trails near home (Madison WI), as well as for a trip to Fruita/Grand Junction this fall, and similar trips to the southwest in the future.

Great info.

I haven't ridden the Keweenaw (in summer) since before any of the current trails were built. Thus, no idea there. The riding I've done around Madison is limited -- basically Levis/Trow are as close as I've gotten. Can't really remember much there that would damage a tire -- just lots of hardpack and roots. Has it changed as it's aged?

For your fall trip an XR4 up front with a Rekon out back would be a good match. Good grip, while not being too slow.

viva la v-brakes!
    Great info.
    Yeah, could I have use the word aggressive more aggressively?

Anyway, yes, most of the trails around here are hardpack with rocks and roots, I wouldn't be looking to the XR4's for that. However we have some trails at Blue Mound State Park that are very rocky, rough and steep with sharp chert, where you need something more, uhm, assertive. The trails there have a reputation as tire-killers, though it hasn't been a problem for me until I got the Nobby Nic's.

So I'm hoping the XR4's can be one... uh, stout, tire set to rule them all, from the southwest to the North Coast.

Is it the casing or the tread blocks that are fragile on the NN?

viva la v-brakes!
    Is it the casing or the tread blocks that are fragile on the NN?
    My experience, with the stock NN that came on my Ripley is that the casing is easily penetrated. I put a hole in them in the first mile I rode them (at Blue Mound) and have put two more holes on not particularly rocky trails. All of which I have been able to seal with a Dynaplug or two, but I figure its only a matter of time until I tear them in an unrepairable way.

Generally I'm more of a finesse rider, and 95% of my riding is on pretty mild terrain. The last time I put a hole in any tire like that was 2006... now 3 punctures in one set of tires? 🤔 I run the XR2's on the same bike in the same terrain with no issues whatsoever.

I run the XR2's on the same bike in the same terrain with no issues whatsoever.

XR4 and XR2 have same casing. Former just has a lot more grip, pretty much everywhere.