mtbr member
    Jan 2010

29er Wheelset - ZTR/Crest vs ZTR/ARCH vs Hope2/MavicTN719??

I'm looking at a wheelset upgrade for my rigid SS 29er and contemplating the following:

1. Notubes Stan's 29er CREST Wheelset w. ZTR hubs (1530 g) for $440 at R2Technik.com
    vs
    2. Notubes Stan's 29er ARCH Wheelset w. ZTR hubs (1730 g) for $465 at R2Technick.com
    vs
    3. Hope2 hubs w. Mavic TN719 (1800 g) for $475 at Chain Reaction Cycles

I mostly ride technical rocky singletrack in New England. Run about 200 lb with gear.

Any thoughts on which might suit me best??

What are the differences between the ZTR and Hope hubs.

mtbr member
    I say go for the TN719s. I think the Arches are going to be a little too lightweight for your riding weight.

ZTR hubs are made in Taiwan, little lighter, one year warranty. Have to get parts through NoTubes.

Hope hubs are made in England, little heavier, five year warranty. Any LBS should be able to get parts for them.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    In terms of rims I'd take the arch over the mavic just about any day. Being tubeless ready is a huge benefit. In terms of hubs I'd take the hopes over stans, although stans should be slightly lighter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Universal Cycles is building me up a set of Arches on Hopes.

Former Bike Wrench
    If you have any aspirations of running tubeless ready 29er tires (like Bontrager TLR, WTB TCS, or Geax TNT) they really don't work well on the new Crest...so I'd go Arch or even Flow.

wwg
    No Class
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyll2003
    3. Hope2 hubs w. Mavic TN719 (1800 g) for $475 at Chain Reaction Cycles

Are you building the wheels yourself? CRC doesn't build 29er wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I emailed CRC and they said that they do built 29er wheelsets.

Here is the reply i received:

"We can build almost any combination of hubs, spokes and rims you like, even if the options are not listed in the custom build section. You need to add all the parts to your basket separately and make a note in 'Additional Information' saying "BUILD WHEELS". In addition, send us an email with your order number so we can check it has processed properly.

For 29" custom builds there is a labour charge of 15 per single wheel and 25 per pair. Also, only DT Swiss Competition and Revolution spokes are compatible with 29" rims"

Kind of odd, but if it works, it is worth considering because the prices are good.

or die try'n
    My personal choice is DT swiss 240 or 350 laced to Arches. But if I had to choose for you, I would opt for the TN719 and the Hopes. The Tn's are 40 grams more than the Arches, but the Hopes are a more reliable hub. Try to find Hopes/Arches if you are considering tubeless. The Arch rim is a much better tubeless setup and design, and much less likely to burp. The Tn can be setup as tubeless but the tire/ rim fit is a lot looser. Either way avoid the Crest or you wish you would have later.

joek9999
    Jan 2008

Go with Hope Pro II

On advantage I love and you will too about the Hope Pro II is the interchangeable axles. I recently upgraded my Pro II 9 mm to a 20 mm front and a 10 mm thru bolt. Incredible stiffness upgrade!
    Trails, Tinkering and Togetherness!

joek9999

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just noticed it's a bumped thread but in case it isn't too late.
    CRC also stock 29er Flow and crest rims so there is the option of a CRC build with either of these and Pro 2's instead of TN719's.